[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bsd/ Friendly BSD thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 2OfiT.png (22 KB, 363x321) Image search: [Google]
2OfiT.png
22 KB, 363x321
What are you working on?

I nabbed a big colo server, and am planning to use smartos. Will use 2 carp'd openbsd VM's as the firewall, openbsd as mailserver, freebsd w/ jails as webservers, and arch for gns3/cisco lab.

Current mailserver is freebsd with postfix/dovecot. Aiming to use opensmtpd on openbsd.

Also hype for openeigrpd? I'll be able to trade routes with upstream switches. How awesome is that?

> Please be nice to our foss penguin cousins. We're in it together.
>>
is puffy cuter than tux?
>>
File: Pufftron.jpg (54 KB, 227x343) Image search: [Google]
Pufftron.jpg
54 KB, 227x343
>>53726907
the default puffy logo is not cute, while the release artwork for puffy is super kawaii
>>
>>53726597
Not exactly BSD, but I'm working on making a sane microservice architecture using rumprun, which inherits most of its codebase from BSD
>>
>>53726597
Will btrfs ever become native?
>>
What memes does BSD have?
>>
>>53727414
btrfs is oracle's. It will become native on whatever they want it to.

>>53727438
bikeshed is the first that comes to mind, referencing any topic that everyone has an opinion about, like the color one should a bikeshed.
>>
>>53727461
>btrfs is oracle's. It will become native on whatever they want it to.
Isn't it under GPL?
>>
>>53727469
Not necessarily a license issue as much as it is a developer-wanting-to-port-it issue

oracle runs zfs on their solaris, and btrfs and their linux, and have no pressure or reason to port btrfs.
>>
bsd is so naughty$:
>>
>>53727558
I thought bsd hated that license though and was trying to remove all existing code using it. That would make it hard to use.
>>
Jails are pretty good when tinkering stuff, does linux even have jails?
>>
>>53727596
no but they have other forms of containers.
>>
>>53727582
Getting the whole base system under a single license is a good thing. Having separate components with different licenses can be a pain.

>>53727596
linux has containers, which are like jails minus the root isolation. They work well aside from that. deis is pretty damn sweet.
>>
has anyone tested zfs on netbsd?
>>
>>53727741
it always seems we reap the benefits of netbsd without actually using it. pkgsrc is so much magic, and their drivers are so damn portable.

But unfortunately, few people run it. And even fewer with zfs.
>>
File: freebsd.gif (36 KB, 302x481) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.gif
36 KB, 302x481
>>53726907
No, Daemonette is cuter.
>>
>>53727741
>zfs
I don't think it's usable, you need just wait 1-2 year before it come out from prealpha state.
https://wiki.netbsd.org/users/haad/porting_zfs/
If you really want ZFS use FreeBSD.
>>
Greetings from a Fedora user. I hope this could be a regular thing. BSD is neat.

Always kind of wanted to go OpenBSD on my server. On a related note, has anyone been hired to edit the rat's emails for him yet?
>>
>>53727438
Randi Harper aka BSDGirl
>>
>>53727438
>>53729400
It's not meme it's shit, even shitty than:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_does_one_patch_KDE2_under_FreeBSD%3F
>>
File: 1456252005610.jpg (62 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1456252005610.jpg
62 KB, 690x460
>not GPL
>>
>>53729444
Don't hate FreeDOM.
*BSD is Free even FSF think so.
>>
I recently installed openbsd and "shutdown -p now" causes the system to reboot. i have yet to find out a way to shut my system off without pressing the power button.

i checked bios settings but nothing seemed relevant.
>>
>>53729436
>is that a real article?
>it's a real article
That made my day. Thanks, Anon.
>>
>>53729828
try shutdown -hp now (which also halts your machine)

have a look around /etc/rc.shutdown also

check your dmesg to see if ACPI has been detected correctly
>>
>>53730051
>have a look around /etc/rc.shutdown also
does not exist

it seems that ACPI has been detected correctly according to dmesg.
>>
>>53730051
>>53730176
Thanks, I just executed shutdown -hp and it worked fine.
Mind explaining why omitting h causes a reboot?
I thought that -p basically calls halt -p
>>
>>53730229
Something's not working right for you, shutdown -p now works fine on my laptop
>>
>>53729994
Glad for you anon, what +12 years old joke made your day.
Are you new here?
>>
>>53729464
Even if Anon isn't being serious, it's a good reminder that the FSF and Stallman do not represent the most extreme views on FOSS.
>>
>>53730398
I wish I was. No, just never seen it mentioned before.
>>
>>53730472
>just never seen it mentioned before.
How?
https://rbt.asia/g/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=patch+KDE2+under+FreeBSD
>>
>>53730787
Not him but I've been here for 6 years and just found out about it today
>>
>>53730787
Your link tells the story, I'd say, with the first page reaching back to 2012. Hardly an everyday occurrence.
>>
>>53727438
theo de raadt

he's such a meme that openbsd's emacs clone has an entire command dedicated to quoting him
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.