[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I learn Perl or is it a dead language? https://straw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: Programming_Perl_4th_Ed_cover.png (55 KB, 305x400) Image search: [Google]
Programming_Perl_4th_Ed_cover.png
55 KB, 305x400
Should I learn Perl or is it a dead language?

https://strawpoll.me/7188114
>>
what are you using it for? it's excellent as glue, although old code written by retards can be damn near decipherable

a sane person might tell you that glue is bad, and they may be right in some circumstances, but perl is hands down the best language for it
>>
File: higerorderperl.jpg (132 KB, 540x666) Image search: [Google]
higerorderperl.jpg
132 KB, 540x666
>>53692569
Perl was once known as the duct tape of the internet. AWS was mainly written in Perl. Any dotcom that survived the bust has Perl code. For added fun learn functional perl with pic related. Its a free book.
>>
>>53692569
>unironically using perl past the year of 1999
Do you listen to KMFDM and play Quake 3 as well?

I bet you watch futuram too, faggot.
>>
>>53692569
python is much better
>>
Perl 5 and below is historically important but really only appears in legacy systems and like, sometimes in bioinformatics.

Perl 6 probably won't catch on since its niche is already filled by other languages.
>>
>>53692569
If you like being edgy, you should for the edge factor.

Otherwise
>>53692889
>>53692919
>>53693427
applies.
>>
>>53692876
This is very true, speaking with 18+ years of working in the bay area. Funny enough, I work at a Perl shop now, despite having worked in RoR/py/j2ee shops in the last 10.
>>
>>53692569
Perl is really fun. Hard to read, but I've never seen a language that gives you so much freedom to write it the way you want to.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.