[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: 1458222764257.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458222764257.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
i'm going to be getting a new (used) laptop that has windows 8 on it (came installed with it). i plan to install W7 on it and delete the W8 install once i make sure everything is okay with the w7 install.

the guy who i bought it from modded the bios to accept a different wireless card.

now my question is, i know the w8 stores the serial on the computer's BIOS, will I be able to install W7 still? and would a new OS install ruin the modded BIOS from the wireless card?
>>
Does anyone here use avanti to convert other video formats into webm?
>>
>>53671903
this video needs some explanation. Why did he catch on fire in the car?
>>
>>53672007
Cops tasked him. I think he spilled gasoline insider the car. The tase set the gas on fire
>>
got a $100 budget for a new gpu, do i get the gt 730 or r7 240
>>
>>53671952
Is it W8 Pro? If so you can legitimately install W7 Pro. If not, you'll need to get a W7 key.

A new OS install doesn't touch the BIOS.
>>
File: nwz-a818.jpg (75 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
nwz-a818.jpg
75 KB, 1000x750
How impossible would it be to mod this thing so it could have a microSD slot? Just for fun.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-25-14-42-53.png (168 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-25-14-42-53.png
168 KB, 768x1280
Got a KVM switch but I have no idea how much its worth, how much do I sell it for?
>pic related
>>
>>53672300
See what it's going for on eBay
>>
>>53672313
There's nothing on ebay
>>
I've never been a gamer but I got an okay gaming laptop for a decent price but it's from like 2014.

I don't care enough about gaming to pay on like steam or whatever (and the computer can't play them) but I plan to pirate the older games to play like GTA V.

Is pirating them and using a crack safe to do?
>>
>>53672339
It's a PS/2 KVM? Nobody really wants those anymore. $10?
>>
Why are /g/ and /pol/ obsessed with some learning AI from Microsoft?
>>
>>53672483
To create the dankest maymays.
>>
>>53672356
GTA V isn't really an older game is it?

Cracks work, but get them from private trackers because some cracks are known to be botnets mining bitcoins or virae locking your files.

Or just don't use it for other stuff and reinstall as needed.
>>
Do I need both COMODO and Malwarebytes? Or do they do the same thing?
>>
>>53671966
I just use ffmpeg. Your avanti is probably just a front end for it.
>>
>>53672513
But they do that already without AI intervention.
>>
What the fuck is Urbit?
>>
I want to put a visitor hit counter on my old fashioned page, but everyone and their mother blocks it with adblock by default. What are the ways around it?
>>
I am dualbooting windows 7 and fedora 23. I have absolutely no updates for windows 7 SP1, and I am noticing a lot of windows games aren't working that have worked fine on my other 2011 computer and they have similar specs. Would getting all the win7 updates help these games work, or am I being stupid?
>>
How does data recovery work on a SSD? I.e., on a HDD you accidentally delete something, but if it's not written over yet you can recover it with a program like Recuva. Does that work on SSD too?
>>
>>53673016
For recovering deleted files it works the same way
>>
>>53673023
Cool. And since extra writes can destroy the SSD, people can't use "secure erase" like with HDD right?
>>
>>53673034
The limited writes of moderns SSDs is fairly overstated
Secure erase also works the same way as HDDs.
>>
I don't even know if this is really a technology question, but I don't know where else to ask.

Is it legal to make money off of a website if that website contains music via embedded youtube videos? Am I okay since I don't upload or host the music, only embed links? Or is it still illegal just having it on my site in any way, shape or form?
>>
If I have corrupt windows files, whats the easiest way to repair them if I am computer retarded?
>>
I foolishly used phone # verification to read some yik yaks. It wouldn't allow readin yaks without making an account, yet they mention no way of deleting an account or disassociating a phone number.
Only possible method was to also provide an email to contact them about it, so they got that too, though I don't care so much about the email as I do the phone.
Have I been got? Am I screwed now?
>>
>>53673091
Its a very fine and squiggly line, but it sounds like what you have in mind would be considered infringement.
>>
>>53673091
Yes, it's legal as long as you aren't directly selling access to the content. Uploaders can choose to disable video embedding if they want.
>>
>>53673148
Keep in mind that the uploader may not own the copyright, and is allowed to stay up only because it hasn't been monetized.
>>
I'm a pleb

how to set up a trigger with muh irc client so when message matches muh regular expression It executes a wget or something of the url in that message and download a torrent

a gehtoo autodl-irssi
>>
So I've been programming in python for a while and I want to try out haskell.

Of course I can edit example.hs, and then save it, and then go into the terminal and run ghc example.hs, but that's a lot of steps compared to idle's "edit example.py, press f5"

and doing everything in GHCi is awful if I want to save things and look back on them later.

Does anybody know of an ide that makes running a haskell script as simple as a single key combination?
>>
What's better for 1080p display on a monitor? Dvi d or hdmi?
>>
>>53672300
Give it back rejeet
>>
>>53673200
zero difference
>>
>>53673140
>>53673148
Conflicting answers but good to keep in mind nonetheless.

If I may ask one other question, if it was illegal and someone wanted to get on me about it, would they first give me a warning or C&D in which I could simply take it down and be alright, or would it go straight to legally fucking me in the ass?
>>
Poorfag trying to build a gaming rig
where should i spend more? motherboard, processor or graphics card? also pls rank
>>
>>53673229
Depends on who and how much you made off of it
>>
>>53673200

double penetration port
>>
>>53673165
Not the website guy's problem. DESU I'd like a little more detail before declaring him in the clear or not (in my humble, non-lawyer opinion of course).
>>53673229
Definitely a warning. Here's the thing about this "legality": FBI, CIA, state troopers, etc. aren't scouring the internet for lone copyright infringers to lock up. The rights' holders have to do this themselves, and then work to get the infringement removed with the help of the website owner. I.e. you.
>>53673249
It's highly unlikely that his earnings would be worth suing. (Unless it is an extortion attempt like Getty Images)
>>
Let's say I had a mini itx tower, a 380 and 550 PSU, and 300 dollars whar with be my best investment for a mobo and CPU
>>
>>53673241
IIRC, CPUs tend to cost a little more than GPUs, which are way more expensive than mobos. For a mobo you really just need something that meets your build specs - it's not like they have gigahertz power rankings or something. Just avoid any mobos with a lot of bad feedback.
>>
>>53672138
Depends, could you rewrite its BIOS to accept more than one storage area, and a hot swappable one at that?
>>
>>53673183
It a different style of programming, often people would run a terminal to run the code or connect to a REPL.
You want an IDE or text editor that supports an interative REPL. emacs should support it. Check the haskell website for ide and text editor support.
>>
>>53673241
you'll probably end up spending cpu > gpu > mobo

if you're smart you'll put your power source above the mother board

if you don't mind being shot in the leg - literally - feel free to cheap out on it.
>>
>>53672766
Maybe you should research why the games don't work,like what is the error,in which game,etc.

Updates are not a magic pill that cure,unless the games are current generation and the updates fix them.
>>
>>53673092
How did you conclude you have corrupt windows files?
Also,which windows?
>>
>>53672563
Comodo Dragon is basically the same as MBAM. Comodo Firewall is, well, a firewall, which is different.
>>
>>53673307
I hear emacs is a pain in the ass and not worth learning.

Is this true, or just a meme? I can use it like a regular text editor like gedit or notepad++?

and when I use it, I'll be able to just press a key/key combination and my haskell script will run?

>It a different style of programming, often people would run a terminal to run the code

Why? Isn't that just more effort with no advantage?
>>
>>53673289
My current mobo isn't working properly and my CPU is an 860k so why not upgrade
>>
>>53673276
Thanks for the further incite.
I didn't expect much help on this issue here. Appreciate it, anons.
>>
>>53673395
>incite
God-dammit meant insight.
>>
>>53671952
Why did it required modding the bios to change wireless card?Does simply changing cards and installing drivers doesn't work?
Also,how does someone even mods bios?

About the key,
The OEM i.e. the manufacturer stores the license info/key in the bios .This results in skipping of key input during windows installation.
If you want to make the windows installation ignore the bios key,then do this:
>open windows installation media (usb or dvd) folder
>open sources folder
>open file ei.cfg in notepad

Make sure below [Channel],Retail is written,if not write Retail.save it.
Now you will be able to input win 7 key.
>>
>>53673383
What problem,no video display, eh?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I want to ssh remotely into my raspberry pi from my laptop. The trick is that I will be on deployment without Internet access. Will this work, or do I need to use something like Bluetooth? Pic related
>>
>>53673359
Hell no it isn't a "meme". Emacs, Vim, etc. are fucking relics and should not be used this century. Unless you are a hipster of course, in which case enjoy your vinyls. Just like playing vinyls, you're jumping through hoops to get what is effectively the same experience of modern tech.

Just use Notepad++, dude. Maybe if you're one of those TV hackers who mashes the keyboard to generate dozens of lines about buffer converting to 3.141583724825 degrees past the fuzzy encryption, Emacs would make you a little faster. But you're probably not.
>>
>>53673359
>I hear emacs is a pain in the ass and not worth learning.
It can be but you can full control and customize it.
> I can use it like a regular text editor like gedit or notepad++?
Yes

> and when I use it, I'll be able to just press a key/key combination and my haskell script will run?
Yes

>Why? Isn't that just more effort with no advantage?
It simple and doesn't require a lot of effort into building the functionality into an editor, one you might not even be able to modify (which is why emacs is pretty popular).
>>
>>53673459
Get a usb wifi card for it and configure it as access point with some kind of dhcp like dnsmasq.
Its not going to have internets, obviously, but you can connect to this accesspoint and ssh to it.
I have rpi in my car thats configured this way and i connect through wifi with my phone and use ncmpc via ssh
>>
>>53673459
To be able to ssh, you need to be on the same network.
>>
File: screenshot.519.png (901 B, 518x22) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.519.png
901 B, 518x22
I have two questions related to Foobar2k
>Is there any way to remove that little gap between the line and the specified group?
>Is there any way to force FB2K to ALWAYS sort the files by some criteria (In this case, by %path%)?
>>
>>53673464
>Notepad++,
There are a few things that make it not my favorite, but nothing I couldn't get over if it made programming in haskell easy.

I got nearly to the point where I had atom working with haskell, but in the end, it kept shouting at me about cabal files and I couldn't find anything about them or how to make them by googling. I know cabal is haskell's package manager, but why would I need to make a cabal file just to run a hello world script?

Does notepad++ force you to make one?

>>53673498
does emacs force you to make cabal files even to run simple scripts?

Is that just the way haskell works?

>It simple and doesn't require a lot of effort into building the functionality into an editor, one you might not even be able to modify

I can see some people liking this, but I prefer the convenience of an editor.
>>
>>53673451
I've posted it a few times in these threads and on the MSI forums, no one seems to have any clue, I've tried everything I can think of man
>>
My computer suddenly turned off

then it wouldn't turn on again. Fans would come on, lights would come on, but no boot

I currently have it working again with ram units 1 and 2 filled, but any ram in slots 3 or 4 and it doesn't boot. is my motherboard fucked? it's only a 15 month old computer. this means my ram isn't in pairs. it is two sets of 2x8gb RAM and they are indentical, just purchased several years apart.

I have had an issue where my CPU was under heavy load for no discernible reason, Malwarebytes (full version) finds nothing.

This happened last night, it is now a 4 day weekend...fuck. any suggestions before i order a new motherboard? And do a fresh Windows 8.1 install?
>>
>>53673587
Let me guess ,a68hi-ac?
>>
>>53673704
It sure would be nice if you posted what motherboard, what ram, and if it's quad channel or dual channel ram.
>>
>>53672300
>>53672339
What other/comparable ones are out there? How much are they going for on eBay?
>>
>>53673704
If your cpu is under heavy load,
Find the process responsible for it from task manager,go to its sevices,post it here,
Then we will proceed.
>>
hi /g/, i think my pc is infected but avira, malwarebytes and norton power erase say it's clean, how can i be absolutely sure that my win7 install is clean? i would reinstall windows but that's pointless since i have 1tb of data on 2nd hdd and can't nuke that, i have to be sure that my install and all my files are 100% clean
>>
>>53673722
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

I have two pairs of them, one is a few years old

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 Motherboard

yes i know "gaymen shit" but i sure do love vidya james!
>>
>>53673765
The issue is that with more than the first two RAM slots filled, it doesn't boot. me having too many start programs isn't the issue here. I think it was a problem with GOG Galaxy and Over-wolf running at the same time, because shutting them down dropped my CPU usage by 50%. they must have been working against each other somewhere.
>>
>>53673766
I would recommend reinstall of Windows. I have only once encountered a virus that survived clean windows install,still it is possible.

You can't be absolutely sure without complete reinstall. Still this is what I recommend,

Make a bootable linux usb,any will do.
Boot into linux,no need to install,open hdd where you have your 1tb data.Go through each file and folder and delete permanently what you don't identify. Now reinstall windows.

If you don't wanna reinstall just yet,you can check your startup entries to check anything fishy.
>>
>>53673802
One or more of your ram slot or ram stick may be bad,did you check each one independently on each ram slot.

Also reset bios before you check independently.
>>
>>53672017
Cop wasn't carrying a taser though.
>>
File: 1430883348180.gif (993 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1430883348180.gif
993 KB, 300x169
My current MOBO has massive USB issues.

If I bought a new mobo, different brand, installed it and put everything back together in my case would it work? Or would I need to reinstall my OS again?

Also would I need to apply new thermal paste to the cpu?

How easy is this to fuck up??
>>
>>53673866
Your current windows will freak out if you changed mobo,clean install will be fine.
You will have to apply paste again as cpu is being moved from one board to another.
Its hard to fuck up unless this is your first time.

How did you conclude your mobo has usb issues?
Also are issues in front usb or back usb ports?
>>
File: 1457894270574.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457894270574.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>53673866
>If I bought a new mobo, different brand, installed it and put everything back together in my case would it work?
it should, just make sure your new mobo is compatible with your current cpu

> would I need to reinstall my OS again?
probably, you should do this anyway to avoid issues

>Also would I need to apply new thermal paste to the cpu?
yes

>How easy is this to fuck up?
pretty difficult desu senpai. back up your data first and make sure you apply the thermal paste correctly.
>>
How do I know when to choose an i7 vs i5?
I read somewhere that i5's will outperform an i7 in most instances unless the program specifically utilizes the i7. Would emulating games be an example of where I would need an i7? I can emulate games just fine on my i5 desktop but this will be for a laptop.
>>
>>53673866
You're better off getting a USB PCI card
>>
>>53673850
>reset bios
done

I'll check the sticks and slots now
>>
>>53673950
Thats my boy.
>>
>>53673945
You mean PCIe right?I don't think current mobo include PCI slots.
>>
File: vaporwave shirt.jpg (142 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
vaporwave shirt.jpg
142 KB, 570x570
>>53673912
>Its hard to fuck up unless this is your first time.
It is my first time, pls be gentle

>clean install will be fine.
Damn, well okay.

>Also are issues in front usb or back usb ports?
All of them, also there are other issues too. When I turn on my PC I have to enter into bios setup and then exit it or else the screen will go blank at the windows startup and I have to reboot.
Also if I leave it on for like over 6 hours in sleep mode the screen won't even turn on and I have to reboot.

My mobo is asrock bullshit.

>How did you conclude your mobo has usb issues?
Any mouse I use will stop working for a second then start up again if I'm using too much memory. It's doing it right now.

>>53673921
Is applying thermal paste difficult?
Only supposed to use a little bit right?
Do I have to buy a whole tube of it if I only need a very small amount?
>>
>>53673998
Fella, CPUs come with paste right under a little sticker nowadays. No need for you to apply it yourself.
>>
>>53673973
well i slotted in one stick into slot 4 and here i am, except my main monitor isn't turning on. fuck me, the computer detects it, it just doesn't seem to have any power. Fucking Korean 1440p piece of shit
>>
>>53674021
I'm not buying a new cpu.

Still need dat paste tho
>>
>>53673998
>first time
Don't worry mate,we have all been there

>thermal paste
This is the most easy part,yes only a little bit.If you can get a little bit,you don't have to buy tube.

Did you try updating bios doing clean windows install without drivers,then checking if usb issues are there?
>>
File: 1452989860174.gif (2 MB, 319x255) Image search: [Google]
1452989860174.gif
2 MB, 319x255
>>53674055
>Did you try updating bios doing clean windows install without drivers,then checking if usb issues are there?
Yes, yes to both.

Also I went online and there are many more people having USB issues with this same mobo so I'm pretty sure it's defective.

It's a p8z77 v.
>>
>>53674031
Nigga do you even know anything before you start blaming Korea?

To check if the issue in slot 4 is ram or mobo,remove the signal cable and then turn on system.If no signal comes then,ram/slot bad else monitor bad.
>>
>>53674074
Well if usb issues are happening to many others then replace mobo asap.
Is it under warranty?
>>
>>53673716
Big surprise eh
>>
File: what.png (74 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
what.png
74 KB, 300x256
>Building Parents a PC
>Looking for HDDs
>Realize they don't need 1 TB ones for Browsing internet
>Look for 250-500 GB ones
>They're more expensive then the 1 TB

Can someone enlighten me why 250 GB cost more then 1 TB?
>>
>>53674089
>Is it under warranty?
No, I bought it from some dude off kijiji for about 600 dollars.

Pretty good deal though because everything else in the computer is really good, high performance hardware and has been working fine for the past 10 months.

Just need to get a new mobo and sell this old one on ebay for 50 dollars then this computer will be great.
>>
>>53674109
Its me,anon.

Did you reset cmos,or not?
Did you try with a different psu?
Did you try with a different ram?
>>
>>53674133
Are you sure the 250gb ones are HDD not SSD?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160324-162352.png (253 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160324-162352.png
253 KB, 1080x1920
>>53674109
I can't reset my cmos, according to msi the pins are labled jbat1 this is the diagram from my manual do you see it listed?
>>
How long does it take cops to search a 1.5 TB HDD for child pr0n?
>>
File: hdd.png (107 KB, 866x480) Image search: [Google]
hdd.png
107 KB, 866x480
>>53674164
Yes
>>
>>53674143
I haven't tried with a different PSU, there's nothing to suggest it's the psu, as far as RAM I've swapped the sticks I have out and around but I dont have anything else laying around.
>>
>>53674187
Recovering whole data if deleted can take 3-5hrs,which is not a problem as they would have the hdd.
>>
>>53674133
1 TB drives are pretty much all single platter these days, at that point it doesn't really make much difference in price

When product stock gets low resellers will often increase the price, leading to outdated hardware that isn't being restocked being sold at higher cost than better performing more modern hardware
>>
File: snek.png (126 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
snek.png
126 KB, 600x600
Context: I'm getting started with R, and want/need to add Python to my skill set.

• It seems there are two concurrent versions of Python ATM (v2 and 3). For someone with no prior experience in this language, is there a reason to chose one over the other? (Please note I will be running it on an old machine (WinXP) so (according to www.python.org) it won't work with 3.5+).

• Is there an IDE/editor of choice for the language?

• Which book(s) and resources would you recommend for a sound, hands-on coverage of the basics of Python?

• Anything else I should now before I dive into it?

Thanks!
>>
>>53674196
I think this is because 250gb hdd are not in production now.

If the price is same and space is not important, get a ssd.
>>
my room is hot. freaking hot.

no ventilation, air doesn't get in and out here, my windows are screened to prevent mosquito, etc etc.

apart from my 18" wallfan directly hitting me above, the air here is very stagnant. Or should I say dry, since 5 liters of cold water isn't enough for some reason. I don't want to waste much money on air conditioning for obvious reasons.

but my room is pretty big enough to place some indoor plant that could somehow reduce heat. what kind of indoor plant should I get and how should I care it?
>>
>>53674219
Okay, and after that? Would their software scan all the pics for something bad, or would they have to look through everything manually?
>>
How do I partition a mdadm raid5? The disk manager only gives me the option to use the whole 12tb.
>>
>>53674258
There are a few ways of doing it automatically
There are databases of hashes of offending images
They can run it through image recognition software to see close matches or potentially offending images, but then they would have to be verified by a person.
>>
>>53674258
Nigga if they once get whole data,and you have illegal data,you WILL be fucked,however long it takes.
>>
>>53674177
Holy shit man,now i realise that jumper is not given in diagram.

Let me research for 5 min.
>>
>>53674242
>indoor plant that could somehow reduce heat
I've never heard of such a thing. Best they can do is moisten the atmosphere (transpiration), for which you want to pick heat-resistant, water-loving, leafy species.
>>
360€ for used s6 edge 32gb. Its been in use for 3 months and there's warranty for almost 2 years. Good deal?
>>
>>53674372
Make sure KNOX counter is 0 by checking recovery, so it is confirmed that it was not rooted.
>>
Hey guys I'm new to this board, is this a tight place to discuss about digital cameras? I'm planning to buy a nikon i5 for semiprofesional uses (blogs and Web page images), is 300 usd a good price for it? Any other suggestions?
>>
>>53674344
>moisten the atmosphere

that would kill 2 birds in one stone. the room is dry, meaning I have to water myself more than necessary because 5 liters of cold water a day ain't enough. and if the room is moist, it should also be perfect for my PC heating up this room.
>>
>>53674222
1) I don't think it makes a big difference. Many programs/scripts/etc. online may require one or the other to work, but you can install multiple versions alongside each other if necessary. The changes are fairly minor AFAIK - for example,

--in 2.x "input" will evaluate whatever string you pass it, and you had to use "raw_input" to be safe. In 3.x "input" now behaves like raw_input of 2.x.

-- in 2.x "range" creates a list of numbers, while "xrange" creates a generator object that can be iterated over, but doesn't actually keep a bunch of numbers in memory. In 3.x "range" now behaves like xrange.

I'd go with 3.x for now, and study up on the 2.x differences just for fun later. Like I said it's not a big difference, but 3.x does arguably do things better.

2) There's a built-in IDE called IDLE, but many folks only use this to get started. Then they switch to something like Notepad++ and only run python from the command line.

3) I actually recommend http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-189-a-gentle-introduction-to-programming-using-python-january-iap-2011/ as a good start.

>>53674287
Well that shouldn't take more than a week or two tops, right? And most of that would be getting access to the database, the actual process would be on the scale of a few hours at most?

>>53674313
Are you talking movies, games, etc... or you know what.
>>
>>53674402
>>>/p/ is the place to discuss cameras.
>>
I'm dual booting a laptop with Windows 7 and Debian, with each OS on its own drive. I use 7 for school stuff and Debian to download media. If I'm stupid enough to download something that had malware on it while on the Debian side, if it's not able to run because it's on Linux, it won't have any chance of infecting my Windows drive, will it?
>>
>>53674313
>>53674425
BTW I uploaded a video of Kitty Jung to some site, which thought it was CP. If I didn't think I'd get the computer back I wouldn't have asked my question, but since I didn't have anything illicit I'm wondering why it takes several months to look at some images.
>>
>>53674425
If you have you-know-what ,you are fucked everywhere.

For other things ,it depends on country and the reason why you were investigated.Like if the case is due to movie piracy,then they don't care about games.,etc,only movies.And only those that are related to case.
>>
>>53674431
Thanks phamalam
>>
>>53674410
You will go from hot and dry to hot and moist. This won't cool you or your PC down. If the air is saturated with moisture, this may even hinder your own perspiration.
>>
>>53674467
Several months may be simply due to bureaucracy, government is not really known for efficiency.
>>
>>53674425
>the Python thing
Thank you very much for your raw_input!
>>
>>53674494
Tell them >>>/b/ sends their regards.
>>
>>53674392
Mkay. Will check. Ty for reply. Seller is non-tech girl so I think the phone hasn't been rooted.
>>
File: IMG_08022016_200705.jpg (968 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_08022016_200705.jpg
968 KB, 1920x2560
Can I just apply some oil on this intel stock cooler, I don't want to take it apart... It's making a lot of noise.
>>
>>53674481
Okay, well at least I know they don't care about my movies.
>>53674502
True. I guess I'm just nervous as shit even though there shouldn't be anything to prosecute me for. Also I am seriously missing my desktop, waiting to get it back so I can play The Phantom Pain at 60 FPS.
>>53674510
No prob.
>>
File: image.jpg (183 KB, 641x641) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183 KB, 641x641
What is the absolute best anti virus out there?
>>
>>53674530
Do not think about rooting.Just check if KNOX is 0 or 1. Don't even tell her what you are checking, just say im restarting.

Also,tell her i said hi.
>>
>>53674571
Common Sense 2016 Pro
>>
>>53674571
Being smart enough?
>>
I accidentally plugged my usb mouse to eSATA
holy shit it fucking works

What are some awesome hybrid shit do you know about /g/?
>>
>>53674532
Yes you can apply oil.

Why not clean it by taking it apart,you might even learn something.
>>
>>53674571
avast,avira,avg is in the same tier
free antivirus but with nagging ads to buy it

mse,bitdefender
free without ads but alot of false postives
>>
>>53674271
>mdadm
Anyone?
>>
>>53672017
why was the cop alarmed and trying to get him out?
at a glance it's like the cop knew the car was about to catch fire

and the fuck does the guy get back IN the car after it catches fire?
>>
>>53674596
you can use serial ports on older motherboards for ethernet with a dongle that's just wires

easy way to crank another ethernet port out
>>
>>53674496
>This won't cool you or your PC down.

pc is at normal temps for a pc. no problem here.

>If the air is saturated with moisture, this may even hinder your own perspiration.

I'm not sure how this is a bad thing. a person perspire because it is hot, not because the room is moist.
>>
>>53674654
The guy was trying to commit suicide, and had poured gasoline in the car before using a lighter to start the fire. How the cops knew about his plan, I'm not sure.
>>
>>53674606
the infuriating squeaking stopped thanks
>>
>>53674076
The monitor isn't powering on, nothing to do with the rest of the computer

in other news i'm about to do the last two checks to see if a ram stick is fucked or if the computer just can't handle more than three sticks. brb
>>
File: shield_tv.jpg (86 KB, 1500x768) Image search: [Google]
shield_tv.jpg
86 KB, 1500x768
Any downsides to this thing? Seems to be great: HDMI 2.0, 4k, 10 bit HEVC, streaming vidya (I don't have a console/gaming PC) and the price is absurdly low for what it offers. I know perfection doesn't exist and every company seems to shit up one way or another, so what are its flaws?
>>
What's a good site for clean pirated apks?
>>
>>53674722
Sweating is the natural process by which your body transfers heat to your surrounding: you secrete water → it absorbs body heat to evapourate → you cool down.

If the air is already full of moisture, the sweat ⇆ vapour equilibrium isn't properly shifted to the right.

Heat transfer is impeded, thermoregulation isn't efficient, you feel like your slog through the Amazon jungle in a padded coat.
>>
File: 2016-03-25 15.08.18.jpg (369 KB, 818x1024) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-25 15.08.18.jpg
369 KB, 818x1024
>>53673587
>>53674109
>>53674177
>>53674199
>>53674338
Hey buddy,you still here? (MSI A68HI-AC )

I found your cmos reset pin by zooming in on newegg page.
Denoted by arrow on pic related.
You have to power off the system, and put a jumper cap on it or short it ,for ~1 min I guess.then power on.
>>
>>53674854
Welcome.
What are the temperatures on that thing?
>>
>>53674857
You mean powering on the monitor without a signal cable displays nothing?Not even blinking light or No signal message?
>>
>>53674735
>>53674654

how does it feel to be a fucking idiot who believes the guvment is out to get you?

the guy looked drunk in public, grounds for an arrest and he's climbing into his vehicle as the cop was probably speaking with him off-camera. He rushed over to make sure he doesnt try to drive off, not because he knew about the guys master "plan"
>>
File: 1372673288457.png (2 KB, 142x138) Image search: [Google]
1372673288457.png
2 KB, 142x138
How is Media Preview supposed to work? None of my .webm thumbnails actually show until I go view the files myself in Windows Explorer.
Meaning if I select Choose File on here, the thumbnails of the files I haven't scrolled past in Windows Explorer won't show or load at all until I load Windows Explorer and navigate to them.

I can't have to do that constantly each time I add a file, right?
>>
>>53674606
>Why not clean it by taking it apart

best cleaner. recommended even by sea lurkers. even yachts.
>>
I have kingston hyper cloud x II and I have to unplug and plug it in again to use the microphone and lately while using it suddenly i hear this weird sound like sssssp and then suddenly the microphone and the headphones stop working and then only the headphones work and so I unplug and plug it in again and this time the headphones AND the microphone don't work and the 7.1 surround sound activating button on the usb sound card box thing turns off and i can't press the button to activate it, everything just stops and I have to restart my computer entirely for it to come back..

Also sometimes if I just change the microphone device and change it back after the mic stops working it'll start working (not guaranteed) but after a bit both the headphones and the microphone both disappear from the playback devices and recording devices list.

anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?
>>
>>53674914
>you secrete water → it absorbs body heat to evapourate → you cool down.

daily reminder to take a bath.
>>
File: like this.png (393 KB, 1392x348) Image search: [Google]
like this.png
393 KB, 1392x348
>>53674992
Can't answer your question but I think Icaros is what you're looking for. I heard it loads thumbnails faster than the windows shell but don't quote me on that one
>>
>>53673853
Yes he was, are you blind or did you think the black guy was just having a seizure?
>>
>>53672577
1/8th of Urbyte
>>
How can I migrate a VirtualBox VM?

I have successfully cloned a VM in VirtualBox, but how do I migrate it to another computer?

Thanks mates
>>
>>53673290
You mean Intel CPU's tend to cost more than GPU's.
>>
File: 2016-03-25 11.21.21.png (25 KB, 555x575) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-25 11.21.21.png
25 KB, 555x575
>>53674992

you might want to click on this button

fixed my problem when some of my files didn't show thumbnails correctly
>>
Do you know of any engine to search for some text inside a bunch of PDFs?
>>
File: 1426347582103.jpg (29 KB, 197x190) Image search: [Google]
1426347582103.jpg
29 KB, 197x190
>>53675077
>>53675199
Thanks m8s, if the latter doesn't work Ill just try the former
>>
File: Nvidia recall.png (448 KB, 657x724) Image search: [Google]
Nvidia recall.png
448 KB, 657x724
>>53674874
Can't be trusted, especially after the recalls of Nvidia shields catching fire.
>>
>>53674596
FYI not all eSATA ports do that, just some of them.
>>
>>53675047
update your drivers
also clean your ports and jacks
>>
>>53675285
Having to re-plug the usb when I wanted to use the mic problem always persisted since I got the new ones (my old ones broke cause the cable was bad and the microphone stopped working so with warranty i sent them back and got them replaced with these new ones with this unplug and re plug in problem.)

I forgot to mention that I went to the site here:

http://support.kingston.com/us/hyperx/support/technical/model=khx-hscp

and I clicked on firmware update and the program downloaded and when i double click it my keyboard and mouse stop working, the progress bar doesn't increase and my keyboard and mouse both flash non stop as they don't work.

Is there a way to delete my current drivers so I can just plug in my headphones so they can re download and install the drivers by themselves by detecting new hardware again? I use windows 10 btw...
>>
Would ddr3 ram work with ddr4 ram? Thinking of upgrading soon and was wondering if I should move the ram over as well, but I don't know if it would cause complications. Currently using a G-skill ripjaws 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz.
>>
>>53675383
No it won't. DDR4 has a different number of pins, clock speed, data rate.
>>
>>53675285
oh updating my firmware worked this time around but the problem persists
>>
>>53671903
Diskpart:
If I select a partition on a disk using diskpart, and then 'clean'; will all of the disk be deleted or just the selected partition?

This sounds ambiguous to me:
(From Microsoft) "Removes any and all partition or volume formatting from the disk with focus."
>>
>>53675686
seems pretty clear to me, it removes all partitions on the selected disk.
>>
>>53675733
fck. Are there any alternatives to cleaning one partition only instead of the whole disk using diskpart?
Im trying to install windows 7 on my arch, but i need a clean partition - I still want my root partition to stay intact which is a part of the same 'disk'.
>>
>>53675786
instead of clean use delete partition.
>>
i'm re-installing windows 7 sp1 - is there a list of updates to avoid? telemetry, windows 10 and all that.
>>
>>53675809
right, and now im formatting it to ntfs file system.
I swear, if it touches my arch.... I have backups, but still.... if it touches my girl....
>>
Is Kinguin supported by /g/?

http://www.kinguin.net/category/13816/windows-7-professional-oem-key-sp1/
>>
Isn;t there a massive difference between the algorithm behind the chatbot and the neural network behind TAY 1.0?

Can anyone explain the differences on how new information is stored and also the hardware differences between the two?
>>
Sup /g/, my choice for a power supply are between these two at the moment:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00001966

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx750-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply

The TT one has a 720W while the Corsair has 750W. The Corsair is more expensive by about $6. However, the TT one, although lower in wattage, is semi-modular while the Corsair is non-modular. And it seems that the TT is less efficient at 100% load than the Corsair (bronze) by ~2% so whatever. The TT also has a 14cm fan instead of the 12cm one on Corsair. Those are the only differences I noticed. The CX also has:
>4-Pin Peripheral Connector: 4
>PCI-E Connector: 4

So 4x4PCI-E connectors so 16 in total right? My motherboard needs 6, and two 390x cards would need at least 8 (but probably 16 -- I'm not sure). Semi-modular makes more sense doesn't it?

I'm not going to be pushing these to their load any time soon but I might get another 390x for a dual setup/CF. Even then, I've used the calculator (http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator at 100% cpu tdp +24h use) and at MOST my system would consume 710W (in CF) so the TT semi-modular supply would still be a viable, cheaper, option. Really lost atm. The system is a mid-high end and I'm going to stick with it for a long time.

Also, the Tt's operational temperature is up to 35° while the Corsair is 30°. I'll provide enough ventillation/cooling for both though.

The only problem would be if the Tt doesn't actually deliver the power it's rated. Should I save some moneg and go for a much more reliable xfx?
>>
>>
>>53672576
At some point it'll surpass our intelligence, and create memes that we couldn't even dream of
>>
File: C++.png (96 KB, 841x1007) Image search: [Google]
C++.png
96 KB, 841x1007
if I have different versions of C++ installed on my windows7 machine, can I just uninstall the earlier ones like 2005 and just leave the most recent (2015)? Pic related
>>
>>53676820
no, programs using the old libraries cannot use the newer ones.
>>
>>53676839
ok, thank you.
>>
Is there any way to determine the true length of data in a field and return all of the records over a certain length if the font is VARIABLE WIDTH?

For example I have:
RecNo1: Lilly
RecNo2: Omega

I need all of the records that are as long as Omega, and I cannot just look for 5 characters

The only tools I have at my disposal are FoxPro and Python.
>>
Ïf some websites can detect your adblocker, why won't they just make ads that can bypass it?
>>
Foobar2k question
How do I go about my own way to create a personal skin?
>>
>>53676976
Because most of the time they are only sponsoring the ads, not actually making them.

Plus 95% of the time them "knowing" you are using AdBlock is just smoke and mirrors. They just put the "HEY ASSHOLE YOUR USING ADBLOCK MUH PROFITS" message behind the ad so that if the doesn't show up you see the message. Its not actively checking for AdBlock, its just showing you the default for when you cant see the ad for any reason
>>
What's the best open source image viewer on windows?
Preferably one that supports webm's also, but I'm not sure if there is anything like that.
>>
>>53677026
Columns UI

Also helps to download some custom skins and play around with them to see how people got some things to work.
>>
Can someone redpill me on why niggers keep telling VLC is bad and etc? Linux user here though.
>>
>>53677291
It has a lower color range than MPC, so it displays blacks and dark colors as brighter than they should be.
>>
>>53677037
K. Thanks for the answer lad
>>
>>53677302
You have got to be kidding me. This is b8, right?
>>
Is there a way to encrypt my android phone simply without performance loss?

I just want to prevent Tyrone or a script kiddie getting my info not the fbi
>>
>>53677346
enable it in the system preferences.
>>
>>53677331
no, go look up vlc color range

>>53677346
No, it will have a slight performance loss. That said, it's very minimal and will really only impact heavy gaming, which you shouldn't be doing on a phone anyway.
>>
Can anyone help me out with this? >>53677185
>>
>>53672007
man dem cops be raciz n shit
>>
>>53677398
the /g/ wiki has a list of image viewers.
>>
>>53674964
How does it feel to be incapable of using Google
http://kxan.com/2015/06/02/2-austin-police-officers-injured-in-explosion/
>>
File: Screenshot (5).png (43 KB, 799x725) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (5).png
43 KB, 799x725
What's up with my RAM usage? I have little open

Just around 10 tabs and some torrents with 2 or so other programs left open but doing nothing. The kind of stuff that 2GB of RAM could handle easily
>>
>>53677445
why don't you show us the processes tab?
>>
>>53677357
I have never read or saw anything as stupid as this in my life. I was aware /g/ is, sometimes, full of idiots but this is beyond any OS discussion or phone shilling.
>>
File: Screenshot (6).png (82 KB, 655x928) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (6).png
82 KB, 655x928
>>53677456
The only other thing scrolling down is "System and Compressed memory" taking around 500 but I don't know what that is
>>
>>53677500
You know you can sort by memory usage right?
>>
>>53674623
You don't subpartition RAID volumes.
>>53675176
Use the Import/Export tool, which converts the VM into a single file you can reload on the new host.
>>
>>53677500
chrome is a memory hog
>>
File: Screenshot (7).png (105 KB, 709x1024) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (7).png
105 KB, 709x1024
>>53677511
>>53677517
Sorry I'm being retarded.
>>
>>53677562
>windows 10
>retarded
Yeah we noticed that.
>>
>>53677562
Yeah, I'm not sure what system and compressed memory is either.
Try substituting out groove music for foobar or winamp, since those are much less memory intensive.
Same thing with Photos, use ImageGlass instead.
Firefox is also going to use less ram than chrome.
>>
>>53675047
pls respond
>>
>>53677477
>>53677357
>>53677331
>>53677302
>>53677291
No you niggers got to be fucking with me, gimmie a reason why VLC is ACTUALLY a bad player.
>>
>>53677562
>>53677592
>460MB of Microsoft telemetry data
wew
Must have a lot of porn in there fella.
>>
>>53677625
It's not a bad player. There are just some advantages that MPC has over it that people value more than the advantages VLC has over MPC.

I really just use MPC because it takes up less space.
>>
Razer Blade Stealth or Samsung ATIV Book 9 Spin?
>>
>>53671966
>>53672565
This is the first time I have ever tried to convert something to webm. So not sure how you just use ffmpeg.

I was asking because anytime I try it crashes.
>>
>>53677625
I'd think distorting colors is a good con.
>>
File: TL-WN823N.jpg (3 KB, 56x120) Image search: [Google]
TL-WN823N.jpg
3 KB, 56x120
OS X question. I'm using a TL-WN823N USB WiFi adapter to connect to the Internet. I made the mistake of upgrading to 10.10 when it was made available, only to go through an exhaustive procedure to downgrade because the drivers weren't available for that WiFi adapter. I've just discovered that the 10.10 driver is now available, but not yet the 10.11. Don't even know for sure if they'll ever get around to it. I've sent an email to the support crowd but I don't expect a response to be honest.

My question is - does anyone know of another way around this short of purchasing a new USB WiFi adapter?
>>
>>53677677
If someone turns a screen on and is uncapable of adjusting its setting should just jump off a bridge and die; computers are actually meant to be used by human beings, not brainless dogs.

>>53677649
I'm running Linux right now, otherwise I'd try it for myself.
>>
>>53677709
>I'm running Linux right now
Have you looked into mpv?
>>
Hi /g/,

My PC has been crashing lately when I launch any 3D application or if I've been watching video for several hours. The display crashes, doesn't recover and the system becomes unresponsive. I can still hear the CPU and fans running inside of my chassis, but I have to hard reset to recover from the crash.

The PC otherwise seems stable, I've run stress tests on both the CPU and memory and they appear fine. The voltages from the PSU are as expected. I also tried to use older GPU drivers. There are no error messages in the windows event viewer (aside from unexpected shut down).

Does anyone know what my problem could be? I'm guessing it's either a dying GPU or PSU. If my GPU at load pulled more watts than my PSU can currently provide, would that result in only the GPU shutting off? I would think if it was a PSU problem, the entire computer would shut off. Maybe I'm wrong here.

Any ideas?
>>
>>53677729
Will do right now, thanks.
>>
I have these files in my home folder that contain random garbage. Any idea where these are from?
>>
>>53677760
If you're in Linux use the file command to check them.
>>
>>53677734
What are your gpu temps
>>
>>53677787
file .10389
.10389: ELF 64-bit LSB core file x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), too many program headers (4500)
'stat' doesn't reveal much but files are created most days
>>
What's a command line program I can use to proxy my commands.
proxy wget https://i.4cdn.org/g/1458879360010.webm
and it will download it through the proxy, instead of me having to rememer the proxy commands of each of curl/wget/youtube-dl, etc etc etc
>>
File: 1432937331336.jpg (166 KB, 1345x1500) Image search: [Google]
1432937331336.jpg
166 KB, 1345x1500
How tolerable is this thing for playing games?
>>
>>53677841
try using the strings command to see what text it has in them.
>>53677845
There isn't one, you'd just need to write a wrapper program that manually knows all the correct commands.
>>
>>53677833
32 degrees celcius... the temp doesn't get much higher than that since the display crashes instantly trying to do anything graphics intensive.
>>
>>53677878
Mice are actually really good when it comes to games. But it actually takes still to play FPS with those so, watch out.
>>
>>53677878
I used to have a similar mouse before switching to the G402, and I'm going to say it's really not a huge difference.

Did I improve? Definitely. But it wasn't any huge difference really, so if you don't have the money for a gaming mouse they aren't worth it.

Honestly, I use all the extra buttons of my mouse more for simple browsing than games.
>>
>>53677878
>wireless
>1000 dpi
>that shitty button/scroll wheel

Ehhh, it's fine for casual offline gaming.
>>
>>53664930 (You)
Looks like some packages have 64 bit versions only, try those:
https://chocolatey.org/packages/google-chrome-x64
Else I don't know. I just googled it for you. Try doing the same, see what other people come up with.
(Also, is there any specific reason you want 64 bit versions?)

Hey, thatnks for answering my question, didnt have time to check yesterday.

I would prefer 64 bit versions because I have a 64 bit system? I guess I just want them because of the name, but if both versions work the same then it doesnt matter.

Opinion?
>>
Does downthemall for firefox actually do anything or is it just a placebo?
>>
>>53678002
it's faster, it downloads multiple segments at once, sort of like a torrent, also it has a resume feature which the built in download manager doesn't
>>
How the fuck does this Windows 10 shit work after upgrading? Instead of a product key I have "digital entitlement." How can I format and reinstall Windows 10 w/o a product key?
>>
What's a good all-purpose video and flash download extension for Firefox? The ones you get from searching the addons for "video download" always list sites and I'm wary of those.
>>
>>53678037
Extract your windows 7/8 key and just enter than when you're prompted for the windows 10 key.

>>53678039
I use flashgot.
>>
>>53678039
flashgot extension, best thing ever.
albeit it won't work with youtube or websites that use Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Adaptive_Streaming_over_HTTP
>>
>>53678052
>>53678060
Thanks, I'll try it out.
>>
File: b150agp07+PSU.jpg (206 KB, 1420x1205) Image search: [Google]
b150agp07+PSU.jpg
206 KB, 1420x1205
Will the CPU cables (pic related) of the PSU I plan to get be fine for this motherboard?
>>
>>53677646
Actually none
>>
>>53678052
A windows 7/8/8.1 key won't be accepted by a windows 10 installation.
>>
>>53678179
http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

They changed it sometime last year so you can activate windows 10 with 7 and 8 keys.
>>
>>53677883
>try using the strings
turns out they are core dumps from my browser.
>>
>>53678210
Does that work if that key has already been used to upgrade though? If he has a digital license Microsoft will activate windows as long as it's the same hardware, no key needs to be entered. Programs like Belarc would give him a junk product key anyways.
>>
>>53676463
both of those are complete ass, at that price point you can get an EVGA 750 B2 which is better in basically every way
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=393
>>
>>53678297
I just did a clean install on my laptop.
All I had to do was download windows 10 on my usb, and then I booted into it and reformatted my partition.
It automatically picked up the key that's hardcoded into my laptop, which is a windows 8 key.
>>
File: g4.jpg (29 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
g4.jpg
29 KB, 540x960
>have lg g4
>put sd card in
>doesn't do anything
>look for Mount SD option
>can't find it
what the fuck?

pic related, where the option should be
>>
>>53678328
Maybe try a different format?
>>
>>53678315
I had no clue it did that, neat. Is there a way to find the windows 7/8 key? The few apps I've used are giving me fake Windows 10 keys.
>>
>>53678356
Did you update from windows 7 or 8? If you did you need to find that key.
If you're already on 10 and you don't have the old key then I'm not sure what you can do.
>>
>>53678346
like FAT? I don't even have a microSD reader tho
>>
>>53678371
Why do you need the key though? Doesn't Windows 10 use digital entitlement? After you've upgraded once it doesn't care what your windows 7/8 key is. You could just press skip every time it asks for a key and it'll be fine the second your PC connects to the internet.
>>
>>53678458
No idea. Like I said, I just updated to windows 10 myself so I'm just telling you the process I used to clean install.
>>
>>53678389
get the reader, use windows drive checking tool or if it doesn't even appear in my computer, use something like minitool partition wizard
>>
>>53678279
was it
strings
that did it for you?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.