[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>install linux on an old laptop >fedora, because then I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 1456608418866.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1456608418866.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>install linux on an old laptop
>fedora, because then I can call it my laptip
>take it out of my room to use it as an actual device under real-world conditions
>go to meet a friend at a bar
>thinking about moving in with him
>want to talk about stuff and browse internet for places we could rent
>surely a laptop running Linux can function well enough to run Firefox on wifi.
>wrong
>get to the bar
>Fedora can detect all wifi networks, except for the specific wifi network for the bar that I'm in.
>my phone sees and connects to the wifi without a problem
>google the issue using my phone
>find a vague post about someone with the same problem who experienced it after upgrading their kernal, and they downgraded it again to fix the problem.

Anyone who actually believes that Linux won't be forever relegated to the status of hobby OS for shut-in neckbeards... is a retard.
>>
>>53667799
linux is a kernel not the userspace.
gg
>>
File: homer_btwsarcastic.png (218 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
homer_btwsarcastic.png
218 KB, 500x382
Great story, friend.
>>
File: 1452190999995.jpg (35 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1452190999995.jpg
35 KB, 351x351
>>53667834
>linux is a kernel not the userspace.
>story explicitly mentions a problem that was apparently an issue with the kernal
>>
>>53667799
Yeah a GNU/Linux install on a laptop is almost guaranteed to be shit. The chipset, wireless, everything is just hodge-podged together and only the manufacturer can really supply the drivers.

Desktops, on the other hand are great. I've had an install of Xubuntu for over a year now, no issues. Of course, all I do is browse the web. Still boot into Windows for the occasional game and CAD work.
>>
>>53668862
>218 KB
lulz. Never had it not work on various laptops. But go on with your shitposting.
>>
>>53667799
>Fedora
>Wifi
The problem is that Fedora is made by FOSStards and doesn't use proprietary drivers.
Usually, proprietary WiFi drivers are more stable and give better performance.
>>
>>53669027
Even my thinkpad had issues with secure client-based wireless networks with vanilla Ubuntu. My university's RADIUS network would show up but would never authenticate. Worked perfectly on Windows, even XP. Never tried with my even shittier Gateway laptop from 2008.
>>
File: 1407880542456.png (505 KB, 657x595) Image search: [Google]
1407880542456.png
505 KB, 657x595
>>53669060
>Red Hat
>FOSStards
>>
>>53669077
>use arch
>have no issues whatsoever with drivers or wifi or anything
>>
>>53669104
>Arch
You don't actually leave the house tho do you?
>>
>>53667799
Have you considered installing gentoo
>>
>>53669102
The Fedora devs removed proprietary packages from the main repositories just to make the FSF happy.
>>
>>53669060
Nah, it's more that fedora is just more bleeding edge than most people really want, despite what they claim.

It's even more broken than arch a lot of the time, while being less up to date.

Shoulda stuck with ubuntu LTS.
>>
>>53669135
I've used it for the past few years in university with no issues
>>
>>53669144
Well, yeah. Fedora is the development stage in the RHEL cycle. It's meant to be bleeding edge and break, so that users find bugs. Sure, there are stable releases of it, but that's just a side product.
Fedora is just a thinly disguised RHEL lab rat.
>>
>>53667799
>Fedora can detect all wifi networks, except for the specific wifi network for the bar that I'm in.
This never happened. Why are you lying on /g/?
>>
>>53669190
I could have made up much more compelling b8 than this if I wanted to lie on /g/.

You can google for shit like "linux can't see specific wifi network" and you'll find posts about it.
>>
i've googled my problem a hundred different ways, still no solution
>skylake 6200U, "software rendering mode"
I just found a forum post that went the same 7 steps I tried, to no avail. they even tried a few extra things

linux doesn't work on laptops. don't buy one for it.
>>
>>53669406
Did you install the latest Intel HD drivers?
>>
>>53667799
I'm ok with it being a hobby OS.

That's why I use it.
>>
>>53667799
Amen bro. I stop using linux because my new cheap ass wifi antenna won't work unless I compile a custom kernel. Fuck loonix.
>>
>>53669238
sure thing fag
>>
>>53669560
their linux installer only works for ubuntu. tried the lastest thing on here and nothing happened.
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads
>>
>linux: hard to get working on particular task
>extremely good at particular task

>windows: easy to get working on particular task
>mediocre performance on that task

Linux = c
Windows = python

Each is good at what they are good for:
Linux: servers, programming, etc
Windows: games, internet, etc
>>
>>53669144
>even more broken then Arch
Not hard, considering Arch almost never breaks.
>>
>>53669138
The wifi drivers should be the binary blobs in the Kernel though...
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.