[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear Apple, there’s nothing ‘really sad’ about using a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: CceHCvpVIAAKA8o.jpg large.jpg (127 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
CceHCvpVIAAKA8o.jpg large.jpg
127 KB, 1024x682
Ask anyone who owns a five-year-old PC why they don’t have a newer laptop and the responses will likely fall into one of these camps:

They can’t afford to buy a new PC
They like some of the older features, like a CD drive or an Ethernet port
They upgrade their PCs with new components
They don’t have access to new computers where they live, at least not at a reasonable price
They can’t be bothered to transfer their information to a new device
They don’t see anything wrong with their current laptop

Few people would actively choose to use an older PC if presented with a newer one for free, but computers – especially Apple ones – cost a lot of money. There is nothing wrong about keeping an old computer working, unless Apple thinks not wanting to or being able to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a new computer is something to be ashamed of.
>>
And mind you, Apple is insulting the same people it’s trying to get to upgrade to a new iPad Pro, as if the tablet form factor will somehow entice the hordes of people with old devices to suddenly want to buy a new one. It’s not as if there weren’t already plenty of even more affordable devices to choose from running Windows, Android or Chrome OS.

Insensitivity aside, the comment was also jarringly hypocritical. Earlier in the keynote, Lisa Jackson, Apple’s vice president of environment, policy and social initiatives, claimed part of what made Apple so environmentally friendly was that “most” of its devices were reused – that Apple products were built to last.

See the irony? Apple admits that hundreds of millions of people can still get their day-to-day work done on PCs a half decade old, but it seems old devices are only worth keeping if they have an Apple logo.
>>
>>53653927
>Talking to Apple on 4chan

Is this pasta from reddit or something?
>>
>>53653927
Most people I know who have bought a laptop within the last five years, purchased some Atom powered pos,mine is older than 5 but it does what I need it to, its a web browsing terminal essentially.

Also
>They can’t be bothered to transfer their information to a new device
Why the fuck do you keep information on your computer? At this point it is beyond retarded to do so, keep your shit on external drives and keep backups of that in separate physical locations
>>
>>53653927
I have a T61 since 2007. Just werks.
>>
File: http-imgur.com-n0eUs81.jpg (938 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
http-imgur.com-n0eUs81.jpg
938 KB, 1944x2592
>>53653927
My 5 year old upgraded z800 has higher performance than the most expensive machine Apple currently makes. And it will probably keep up this pattern for the next few years since I haven't maxed out it's capabilities yet.
>>
im using a rig build in 2009 and a laptop build in 2008

come at me faggot
>>
>>53653927
Don't worry OP, Tim and Phil the Schill have been spouting shit for a while. Just surprised they are not embarrassed to present essentially nothing for the past 5 years. Jony Ive keeps talking about the same rounded square designs since the last MacFingerbox.

Yet they charge me 51U$ for a lightning to VGA adapter, still offer 2GB iPod Shuffles in 2016 for the same price 3 years ago.

They said once that the 30U$ Apple earphones were better than some (Beats?) headphones costing hundreds of dollars..
>>
>>53654548
Bought a refurbished one 3 years ago, it's simply wonderful. If you're homeless tier poor, that's the laptop for you.
>>
I'm using a 2010 MacBook Air atm and I don't have any plan to "upgrade" it. Phil Schiller is retarded.
>>
File: speccy3.png (37 KB, 694x518) Image search: [Google]
speccy3.png
37 KB, 694x518
Built my system about 4 years ago, Still kicks the shit out of anything apple can shit out.
>>
>>53653927

What I really don't understand, is for a company that's so "forward thinking" about environmental concepts, why on god's green earth are they trying to get people to create MORE electrical waste by upgrading machines that already work for them, obviously?

Seriously, electronic waste is one of the biggest threats we have to our ecosystem, as electronics are full of heavily processed and refined rare minerals that are incredibly hard to recycle, store, and manage. Gold, Mercury, Aluminum, Silicone, Lead, Lithium, Ceramics, and tons of mixed alloys are in every modern electronic, and it's hardly feasible to expect anything but a mega-plant to recycle all of these possible materials. And to seperate and ship electronic waste to a mega-plant for EVERY PERSON ON EARTH is absurd, and to assume people will do so voluntarily is even more absurd.

Ecologically speaking, holding onto your electronics until their usefulness is completely exhausted (either through the device breaking, dying, or just becoming too obsolete to continue functioning) is the considerably better bet. The energy consumption of an old windows 7 laptop vs. a new windows 10 laptop is honestly negligible compared to the damage leaking lithium ion batteries can do in a landfill.

Apple should be fined for attempting to shame people for being ecologically responsible.
>>
>>53658289
the fuck you using all that ram for?
>>
>>53658430
Nothing really, I just fell for a meme.
>>
I have a i7-920, built in late '08, with 12GB RAM. It's still pretty much faster than I need it to be.
>>
File: manbatpat.png (442 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
manbatpat.png
442 KB, 600x450
>>53658471
it's actually pretty cool that you're honest
>>
>>53653927
>five-year-old PC why they don’t have a newer laptop

I prefer computers fampai.

I'm using a 10 year old computer (WITHOUT A DEDICATED GPU BECAUSE THAT SHIT'S FOR FAGS), run XP and do all kinds of shit on it, except gaming (I never gamed much anyway).
I can watch anime and movies, I can edit photos, I can read books, I can browse sites, I can edit videos (although somewhat slower than a recent pc), I can run the same things people with newer computers do.

Why should I upgrade?

and oh yeah, I've been doing banking stuff for at least 3 years and nobody's done shit to me
>>
>>53653927
Still using Le MSI GX701. Fuck Apple.
>>
For everyday computing, my old C2D E8400, 6GB DDR2, Radeon 4850 is perfectly fine.

I upgraded from it because I wanted to play more games and do streaming
>>
File: ror.jpg (31 KB, 387x512) Image search: [Google]
ror.jpg
31 KB, 387x512
>mfw dual-core 2.2GHz processor and 3GB RAM
>mfw I don't give a shit
>>
>most people just use social media, photo storage and streaming video

literally build a device that does all of these things and let it be.

oh wait no, we need to constantly grow the economy...nevermind
>>
File: bump.jpg (42 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
42 KB, 350x197
>>53654548
>>
File: CookLaugh.jpg (18 KB, 300x237) Image search: [Google]
CookLaugh.jpg
18 KB, 300x237
>>53658581
>grow the economy
>>
Lol, my 5 year old PC shits all over anything Apple makes in 2016 performance-wise.
>>
>>53653927
>They don’t see anything wrong with their current laptop
That's me. Not broke, don't fix it.

But what's this in reference to? New ad campaign or something? Just randomly saying this shit?
>>
I am a student, I make it on my own, obviously I want to keep costs down.
But I use a computer all day, I don't want to use something that is slow and I don't have time for a computer that doesn't work.

I get it. I am not the demographic who would buy a device like an ipad or a new macbook.

but a 5 years old computer is "sad"?
It is barely end of life, and newer computers are barely faster.
I use a x220, so almost 5 years old, and the only reason to get a new computer is to improve battery life.
Performance wise, not a lot have changed if we compare it to a x250. All I can see is about the same performance, impressive improvements to battery life, removed some keys from the keyboard and added a touchscreen.

I have the money for a new laptop but I really don't see the point.
>>
>>53653927
kinda right but forgetting about shit like UEFI and intel ring -2 backdoors.

tl;dr: custom build without shit like that or I -would- turn down a new pc.
>>
>>53658529
>I've been fucking whores for three years without condoms and haven't gotten a single std!
>>
>>53653927
Why should people choose Apple over Microsoft anyway? Is Mac better than Windows in any aspect?
>>
anybody else surprised how well Android N works on Nexus 7 2012?
>>
>>53659019
how can you compare PC with OS?
>>
>>53659045
What can OS do that PC can't?
>>
>>53658471
try experimenting with ramdisk caches and shit like that
>>
>>53653927
Is your name Napier Lopez?
>>
>tfw most of my shit is nearly 5 years old
Dont really give two fucks desu
>>
File: 1458089652343.jpg (42 KB, 935x730) Image search: [Google]
1458089652343.jpg
42 KB, 935x730
>>53653927
My PC is 5 years old, cost $2000 when it was new, and is still more than enough today, even for high end games. If you bought a Macshit in 2011, it'd be an obselete turd by now and cost just as much, maybe more.
>>
I have a 5 years old macbook pro and honestly I felt attacked
>>
My 15" MacBook Pro turns 5 this year, bought it second hand in mint condition at half retail.

>Quad core i7
>16GB Ram
>Upgraded to 250GB Evo 850 for boot and applications
>Removed optical drive and replaced with M9 2TB HDD

NuAppel™ can suck a dick

~Posted from Nexus 5~
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.