[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me to decide what firmware I should flash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: P_500.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
P_500.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
I have an Asus rt-n66u I have deiced to flash with a custom firmaware but which one should I choose and why?
>Tomato by shibby
>DD=Wrt
>>
Never used Tomato but DDWRT is shit compared to OpenWRT.
>>
>>53632416
Merlin. Always merlin.
>>
Sorry, I'm going to appropriate your thread a little because it's so relevant.

Is it worth upgrading from a RT-N16 to a RT-N66U? Wireless performance is pretty substandard currently.
>>
>>53632465
>>53632435
Thank you anons
>>
>>53632435
Hijacking this thread, do you have any experience with OpenWRT? I just installed it on a shitty router I had laying around, but apparently wireless comes disabled by default and I can't for the life of me enable it. Know anything about it?
>>
>>53632575
Yes.
>>
>>53632594
When I installed it on my WDR3600 everything just werked™

In the web interface when you go to Network -> Wifi do you see your radios and wireless networks listed?
>>
>>53632575
Nah. Just change thermal paste or put a spare heatsink on it.
>>
>>53632739

I don't have the wifi option in Network, that's the problem.
>>
>>53632761
Apparently it is disabled by default, I must have just forgot having to turn it on.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless
>>
>>53632594
>but apparently wireless comes disabled by default and I can't for the life of me enable it.
Go to Network -> Wifi and click the Enable button
Make sure you don't have any script blocking going on in the browser.
>>
>>53632808

I've been reading the documentation but nothing fucking works.

uci set wireless.@wifi-device[0].disabled=0

isn't recognized as valid parameter.

>>53632837

I don't have the wifi option.
>>
>>53632416
Merlin's AsusWRT firmware
>>
I'd choose tomato
>>
Use tomato
>>
Never knew this was a thing. What's the benefit of flashing your router?
>>
>>53633074
Why the fuck are you even on /g/?
Just fucking kill yourself already, you're human-shaped garbage.
>>
>>53633101
I just got my first smartphone this year, and first router two weeks ago.
>>
>>53633074
Basically you get a better router form the ashes of your shitty one
>>
>>53632416
Shibby tomato has always been best for me, but ive always used cheap routers, so ddwrt may run better on higher end stuff
>>
>>53632435
OPENWRT is fucking great, but only if you are planning to waste your life configuring your router
>>
>>53632416
I cannot find anything shibby cant do easily from a few clicks of the gui.
>>
>>53633319
Doesn't openwrt has like a webgui ?
>>
>>53633319
>waste ur life
Literally easier/faster then stock firmware
t. 1043nd v2
>>
>>53632416
>first choice being WRT based and not merlin

Time to do some reading, OP.
>>
I see /g/ still loves being an entire generation (almost two now) behind in wireless.

This is exactly like the years when you retards kept circle jerking off to that piece of shit WRT45G just because it was cheap as fuck and supported DD-WRT; it was still a shitty performer and didn't even support 802.11n.
>>
>>53633792
Then what would you suggest?
>>
what benefits does installing cfw on a router serve?
>>
>>53632416
Shibby has been spamming its log file for about a year now with a message saying its ID is too long. I was tired of waiting for this to be fixed and when the 132 release started behaving eratically, I switched back to Toastman. It has almost all of Shibby's features and runs rock solid without the annoying log spam.
here's a link to the firmware
http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html#dir=v1BuINP3
and here's the edition i'm using
http://www.4shared.com/file/J1UeqVtAce/tomato-K26USB-NVRAM64K-1280508.html
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.