[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the 3d printing meme dead, or does it still have potential?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: images (1).jpg (8 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8 KB, 318x159
Is the 3d printing meme dead, or does it still have potential?

What are industry changing aplications of 3d printing?
>>
>>53622384
>>53622384
It is still very much alive. HP has tech that can deliver on the hype, but they could fuck it up.

A fucking big one is production of one off precision investment casting molds. It's like printing in metal, but with god tier quality.

This could destroy the entire industry dedicated to making molds for jet turbine blades.
>>
>>53622384
Dead as the color television fad.
>>
house use its still a few years out, the machines are un friendly enough and good material is expensive enough to put any normal person off.

that said, if you work in 3d, or are any hobby where rapid prototypes make sense, either as a working model or an end product, this shit is fucking great, and home printers are as cheap as 350$
>>
>>53622384
I work for one of the big global printer companies
>hint, it's japanese

and 3d printing is not dead.

Just give it time. It's not all dildos and dragons
>>
>>53622605
that is very informative anon, thank you for letting us at HP know that epson is working on 3d printing.

While were at it, I just have to tell you guys that HP is working on a 3d printer for electronics.
>>
>>53622384

Stop making these threads every day.
>>
Personal 3D printing is a meme that's not near being useful yet.
However, industrial 3D printing is going to take off in scale I bet.
You can print things that you can't easily cast, forget casting lots of small plastic bits and sticking them together, solid bodied objects are going to become the new hotness.
As well as the logistical advantages of not having to retool, so production lines of merely a half dozen objects become viable. Making a million unique objects becomes just as cheap as making a million objects that are the same.
Ironically the production line introduced replaceable parts, now 3D printing is going to introduce individualised parts.
>>
>>53622384
wish i wasn't a poorfag so i could get one of these. designing shit in blender then printing it sounds cool as fuck.
>>
>>53622384
>le "things I do not own and cannot operate are memes"
kill yourself OP
>>
home 3d printing was DOA. People can't even use regular printers, how the hell are they going to use a 3d printer.

hobbyist printing is still alive because it's pretty cool and gives a small amount of home manufacturing ability. I have a printer with friends, we make shit, it's cool.

the industry uses 3d printing for rapid prototypes. Big example: Kel Tec used 3d printing to design and test mags for the PMR-30 pistol
>>
I like forward to the day when houses can be printed

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-09/21/giant-3d-printer-builds-houses
>>
>>53623028
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A HOUSE!
>>
Can I 3d print a gf? I'm so lonely
>>
>>53623112
fuck you i would if i could
>>
Its a great hobby when you can get stuff like this http://www.printablescenery.com/
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.