[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw using opensuse and not the abomination that is arch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1406843072703.png (265 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
1406843072703.png
265 KB, 1660x1940
>tfw using opensuse and not the abomination that is arch
>>
If anything arch us the perfect newb distro.
>throws you into the deep end, learn linux or die
>very few included software packages, forced to learn different desktop environments and programs instead of just using whatever the distro/OS gives you
>learn the command line so you can appreciate it even in distros that try to hide it
I'm not saying everyone should use arch for their main distro. But it is great on that it forces you to do research and learn critical knowledge about your system and Linux. I think everyone should install arch once, even if they plan to use something else as their main desktop like Fedora or whatever
>>
>>53621097
Mentality is arguable for IT/CS people but for everyone else this won't last too long.

>NORRRRRRMIIIIIIIES AM I FITTING IN YET?
Like it or not more people on even ubuntu is better
>>
>>53621097
>installed arch once
>I now know the location of locale.gen by heart
and that's about it, what a great experience
>>
lel try netbooting irix, it's a fucking trip
>>
>>53621024
>Some buttblusted NEET actually had time to make this meme
>>
>>53621024
I am more hardcore programmer than 99% here and I use (x)ubuntu. I need to focus on my code & algorithms, not obscure desktop linux administration.
I have a fleet of bare servers to manage, why would I add another bit of admin overhead to my schedule?

arch & gentoo are memes.
>>
>>53621024
1. I prefer rolling releases
2. I dislike RPM-based distros (my first linux was based on Red Hat 8 and its dependency resolution was ... problematic)
3. I used gentoo. I still like it. But then I remember how long it takes to do a LibreOffice update and it's no longer the obvious answer.

So for now I'll be sticking to Arch. I'm not in a mood for a reinstall right now anyway.
>>
>>53624841
Basically you just wanted to brag about your job? Because everyone knows you don't use a rolling release/unstable distro for servers, that's what stable/long term releases are for.
>>
>>53625005
Not an arch fanboy or hater, but if you dislike redhat but want a rolling release have you considered Debian sid?
>>
File: geohot_sd_car.jpg (812 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
geohot_sd_car.jpg
812 KB, 1280x768
>>53625034
>Job
I'm self-employed (^:

> you just wanted to brag about your job
I want to remind to fellow anons that the best infrastructure is the one that doesn't obscure applications. If you really want to become a good programmer, you will care more about development and algorithms than tinkering with your OS.

In some cases (embedded, robotics) tinkering is justified (not always necessary though).

geohot has built a self-driving car using ubuntu as its infrastructure. Isn't that super cool?
>>
>>53621024
Well, here's my experience as someone who uses Arch as my daily driver.

Setting up was difficult. The AMD property drivers are hard to get/setup/make work so I eventually conceded to the open source drivers, but unfortunately these aren't that great (but I just played PAYDAY 2 on high so...). After a day or so of messing with some drivers by reading Arch forum posts/wiki I managed to create a stable system.

Running is real fucking easy. I turn on my PC, type my user and pass, then the only thing I do is open urxvt and do pacman -Syyu. That's it. After that I can use my OS like a normal system. I play games, watch YouTube, program, and shitpost on 4chan.

If you're someone who enjoys bleeding edge but doesn't want to go full Gentoo, Arch is a great compromise. If you want to install the OS and get going, Arch is an unwise decision. Arch takes love before it can work for you, not against you. If you have never installed one, doit in a VM. You can get the general feeling of what it is like, and what sorts of problems you could face. However I have never known someone who put adequate effort into Arch who didn't end up using it as their daily driver.
>>
>>53625735
All that shit he put in is useless, the video of him "demonstrating it" is just using the stock Acura feature of keeping the car in between the lanes. its not an autonomous self driving car.

He even lied and said Tesla was interested in it, they arent.
>>
since i have installed arch the only administration task is to install updates when pamac displays them
>>
>>53625773
This. If you put time into the initial setup and/or take care of the busywork steps with Antergos, Arch really is nice and doesn't take much more time than other distros.
>>
>>53625799
>I'm an expert on this topic.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (62 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
62 KB, 750x750
>>53625799
Tablets in cars are quite worthy after they started making OBD2 bluetooth adapters, you can basically make your own tachometer with any little detail you want.
>>
>>53625005
There are both user and official bins for libreoffice and there have been for years on gentoo. No one's forcing you to compile it on the spot.

Sounds like a shitty reason not to use a great OS.
>>
>>53625773
Do you update everyday? Is everyday updating best for not breaking ur system?
>>
>>53627411
His "reasons" are basically arch way and fsf tier shit. Honestly just mentally replace all those with "I think I'm better than you" and you'll arrive at the same place.

>Only *true* linux spergs use software after it's compiled from source... mmmm but fuck that it takes too much of my time
>>
>>53628310
No, you actually shouldn't update every day. Do it like once a week.
>>
>>53621024
Downloaded arch and followed wiki with maximum attention - I was able to understand everything it said, did not find anything new or hard to grasp a read on wiki pages helped me out.

Successfully installed with 0 problems, satisfaction was complete then I was able to use w/e distro - so now I use Ubuntu mate.

Unless you are complete tech illiterate you will learn nothing new, just read a book you will absorb much information than bothering with arch.
>>
>>53624841
Im a programmer and i just use Ubuntu GNOME kek
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.