[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to learn Linux? I've used Ubuntu for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: dildo.jpg (7 KB, 208x242) Image search: [Google]
dildo.jpg
7 KB, 208x242
What is the best way to learn Linux?
I've used Ubuntu for a long time, but it is so user friendly I never learned anything.

So I'm looking for some good projects that can teach me more! So far the only "challange" I've had was to set up a dedicated 1.6 server on text based Debian. It was easy, fun and I learned more then I have watching videos with people just naming command after command.

I learn much better by doing, so if you have any fun projects to recommend. Or any other way of learning, Youtube tutorials are welcome!

Anything is appreciated! :)
I will try Arch tomorrow.

Thanks!!
>>
>>53601753
Here is a challenge: Uninstall Linux and get Windows 10.
>>
>>53601753
use it, make it your daily driver and utilize CLI as much as you can
>>
>>53601769
Do Linux users even know what the CLIt does?
>>
>>53601766
Forgot to inb4...
>>
>>53601769
Yes, of course. But I need a project so I actually have a reason to utilize CLI, right now I'm just using it to reboot because the shut down/reboot/logoff button wont work.
>>
File: virgin.jpg (51 KB, 525x712) Image search: [Google]
virgin.jpg
51 KB, 525x712
>>53601782
Back off, or else..
>>
cmon guise, you must have done something that forced you to learn.
>>
>>53601769
/thread
>>
>>53601875

Compile stuff from source rather than using a package manager. Start with the source to nethack.

Do you code? Do you want to?
>>
>>53601814
Install a distro without a GUI by default. You will be forced to use the CLI.
>>
Okay, first of all. You don't "learn Linux". Linux isn't a type of programming language. You infuse yourself with it.

When you first burn your media and boot into your preferred distro, you set off a chemical reaction in your body that will alter your world. You will first be confused, angrily searching up solutions for your problems. Some problems being more simple than others. Some will fare a different fate, however. Sometimes you'll be constantly getting redirected to the same Ubuntu community forum with some newfag like yourself, asking for help on a hideously obscure issue that 0.5% of the population would even care about. Other times you'll take it upon yourself to fix the issue, trying out command after command, sudo this, apt-get that, rm -f these and so on. And then after you've damaged your install beyond repair, you reinstall and begin life anew.

Suddenly, you feel yourself becoming more and more something you weren't before. Terminal commands begin to appear on your body. Your skin begins to turn black and white, your mouth undergoes a dramatic mutation. Turning into a beak. You are Tux.
>>
>>53601753
This is one of the questions that can legitimately be answered with install gentoo. Seriously.
>>
>>53602760
>Linux fags actually believe this

Also lost points for not saying you start dreaming in code
>>
>>53602760
Fucking this, my exact life with Linux so far.
>>
>>53601753
install gentoo
>>
>>53602944
>>53602760
Samefags
>>
>>53601753
Set up LAMP on Arch Linux
>>
The only thing you can really do is remove your title bars, change your colors to pastels and plaster anime pictures everywhere. Now you're ready for the linux community on /g/.
>>
>>53603203
then use as a backend for your ownCloud server
>>
>>53601766
>get
Won't Microsoft just force it into me, if I so much as bend over slightly?
>>
>>53601753
The way I learnt a lot about linux was by setting up an apache server and a small website. Try coding any PHP app and you'll learn about permissions, just explore, information will come by itself.
>>
>>53601753
Force yourself to do things via terminal. e.g., install arch linux, use minimal tools such as alpine/mutt, VIM/emacs, and other shit like that. You can also try making an LFS (linux from scratch) build to learn how a linux system is constructed
>>
>>53601814
Just learn Bash. Learn how to automate stuff. Find scripts and figure out how they work and let it spark your creativity.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.