[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Android slow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: 1429824216404.jpg (1 MB, 1167x1410) Image search: [Google]
1429824216404.jpg
1 MB, 1167x1410
Why is Android so slow compared to WP and iOS?
Every Android phone out there needs at least 2gb of ram, 3gb is preferable, paired with some 8 core overheating snapdragon pantsfire processor to just run the UI smoothly.
Yet almost all iPhones and Windows Phones out there have only 1gb of ram and they don't seem to lag or anything.

My last phone was a Moto G (snapdragon 400 - 1gb ram) and it was rendered totally worthless by the Android 5.0 update. If Nova launcher was active it wouldn't have enough ram available to do anything worthwhile, apps would just close down and everything had a 1 second delay.

Yet yesterday I installed Windows 10 mobile on my Lumia 735 (snapdragon 400 - 1gb ram) so the exact same phone, and it's still silky smooth.
And the iPhone 4s I gave my girlfriend is also still going strong. Imagine using a 512mb ram Android, I don't think it can even boot up.

Why does Android require so much resources as compared to WP and iOS?
>>
>>53585876
Coz muh Optimisation. Apparently manufacturers are keen to use better hardware than spend money on making the OS more optimised.
>>
>>53585904
Google is responsible for the app though. Why don't they try and optimize things a bit?

My younger brother just bought himself the Galasy S5. It has 2gb ram and one of the best processors around, yet when I had to use it yesterday it felt very clunky and laggy.

Yes, I know he should uninstall touchwizz, get some 3rd party ROM and whatnot. But why shouldn't phones runs mooth by default? You should not have to spend hours trying to make a finished product actually work.
>>
It's way too simple. Samsung and other android phone companies are retarded
>imagine using a 512mb android
My previous phone was Galaxy wonder, which has 250~ mb ram. It worked really good with cyanogenmod, but touchwiz was fucking horrible
My current phone is s4 mini, 1.5gb ram, android 6.0, and smooth as fuck. Touchwiz is just a project to make android "more normie" windows phone is a good option too but
>no apps
And iPhone doesn't let people configure their phones, it's like a phone for children.
>>
>>53586003
if it's Samsung, why did my Moto G, which runs stock android, become unusable after Android 5.0?
>>
because the jvm is an unoptimized piece of shit and any language running on it is 100% just a concentrated beta test for the next 15 years
>>
>>53586024

Unusable my ass, I have the exact same setup it works perfect as it did on kitkat
>>
What does it mean if a girl has never called me buddy while talking to me
>>
File: image.png (165 KB, 512x464) Image search: [Google]
image.png
165 KB, 512x464
>>53585876
>2016
>using android
>>
>>53585876
well for a comparison shouldnt u be using a nexus and not a bloatware 3rd party?

even nexus 5 was way faster then x3-4 more expensive iphone
>>
File: 1441843404685.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1441843404685.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>53586450
forgot file
>>
>>53586298
i'm running android m on moto g and it does not lag at all.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160320-165535.png (156 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160320-165535.png
156 KB, 720x1280
>>53586478
moto g2 anon here with m (cyanogenmod), runs perfectly without any issues. :)
>>
Android is run on millions of devices, so getting optimizations as good as iphone is no easy task. However regardless if they work for 90 dollars like my moto e then it gets the job done
>>
I have moto g 1st gen
Quad core 1gb of ram
Only time it heats up is if the screen turns on under my pillow at night
I'm using cyanogen mod, runs great
Only occasionally lags, I only use on average 600mb of my ram
>>
>>53585876
Shittier flash chips + Optimization.
>>
>>53587054
Same here, its pretty good for the price
>>
>>53586045
Except the JVM doesn't run on android. Try again.
>>
>>53586459
it's ironic that chrome opens faster on the iphone than on the android phone
>>
>>53587101
Well, that's not really Chrome. It's just a shell of Safari.

And speaking from experience (Had an iPhone a few years ago), Safari web view likes to cache in the background a lot.
>>
>>53587054
Which cynageon mod do you uss
>>
>can't play webms
>can't torrent
>gifs are slow as hell in the gallery
>no expandable memory
>no expandable battery
>can't even edit text files without jailbreaking
Yeah, they're sleek, but I'll just stick with my Android.
>>
Always get flagships.
>>
>>53585876
>iPhone and Windows Phone work better than Android
>why?
It would take a lot of time to explain why android is so resource-thirst but if we try to concentrate the explanation it would result in:
> Java, apps are written in one of the worst language ever which uses a dumb way to manage the phone resources
>poor optimizations by manufacturers
>>
>>53587118
is that really true? just a shell?
Safari uses the nitro java script engine and that is the reason why it's (one if not) the quickest browser on the iphone. 3rd party apps don't have acces to the nitro java script engine (you can enable it if jailbroken) so I don't think that chrome is "just a shell of safari" on iOS

see pic: red is chrome with nitro java script engine on iOS and green is stock
>>
Because android was designed for multi-tasking unlike iOS and winblows mobile. On top of this most phones come with bloatware pre-installed.

Once you get rid of the bloatware and install greenify in like 5 minutes your phone becomes very responsive and almost never runs out of RAM.

In fact my phone runs at 300-600 MHz (4-core A7) and it's still fast enough to browse 4chins on clover without much lag.

Finally when you browse web pages on your phone (chrome), android will try to store them all on your RAM so you can switch between them as fast as possible, this is what mainly consumes the most RAM. If your phone is lagging, a solution to this is to use a browser like APUS or get a phone with more RAM.

Android is still overall the best mobile platform because of the amounts of apps, how cheap it is, expandable storage on most phones, longer battery life, and overall better multi-tasking. You can literally buy good android phones with 2GB of RAM for under $200. In comparison you have to spend $700 minimum for the base model (16GB no expandable storage) of the iPhone 6s with 2GB of RAM.
>>
>>53587123
Im pretty sure torrenting on your phone is bad. But everything else is true
>>
>>53587344
>Im pretty sure torrenting on your phone is bad.
Why would it be? Provided you have a large capacity mSD and a VPN then I see nothing wrong with it. Or are you one of those corporate cock suckers who believes piracy is "theft"?
>>
>>53585876
It's a good idea to wipe your phone after upgrading to a newer android version
My Moto G3 became shit after the marshmallow update
Then I backed my shit up and wiped the phone by resetting it
Works like a charm now
>>
>Okay R&D, we need our company's own android launcher!
>But why? This is a solved problem, solutions like-
>No, we need one of our own. Muh brand recognition. Our marketing geniuses figured this out and they know more about Android than you. You have two weeks
>Two weeks? But that is barely enough for a concept, and definitely not enough for optimization, it will run like-
>Just.Do.What.You.Are.Paid.To.Do. See you in two weeks.
>>
That's not always the case. A 180€ chinkphone running stock Android 4.4 shit's all over a Lumia 1020 performance wise.
>>
Huh? Android lags? But anon! That's the bloat!! You just have to invest 10 hours initially to make it work w/o bloat and then just one hour per week to make the backups and upgrade. You need to upgrade, as every upgrade will break something else on your CM, which is MC the WRONG way around. If you arrive at the final build that works without problems, you only have to invest another 5 to manually set up the phone clean and fresh again.

It's so easy anon! What else could you do with your lifes time?
I was once like these android fools, updating and flashing and nandroiding.
Was it worth it? Hell yeah, back then, the new features that got added were crucial. Major jumps from 2.2 to 2.3, 4.2 to 4.3 and 4.4.

What did Google make out of it after 4.4? They made it slower again. They made it more unstable again. It renders more, that means it drains more energy (energy savings optimizations my ass, you can stick your keynotes up you're asses) A fucking bloated battery draining piece of shit that looks ugly and still isn't stable on all devices, nor is it centrally updatable like a Windows/Mac OS X/Linux/SteamGame/EveryDayNormalUserSoftwareLikeABrowser.
They even backstabbed their users (see snowden leaks) and whiteknight their users to the state.

I want to like android, but it just isn't possible. It's literally impossible with any droid I've tested so far, to have a webradiostream running continously when running around the world we live in. Exit the wlan and you have to reboot ANY app to restart ANY streaming as the music just stops then. If you lose signal outside: Have fun unlocking, restarting etc. It's fun to tinker with, but once you want shit to get done in your life, you're lost with Android.
I'd choose iTunes over "Android File Transfer.app" and "MTP" any day. (Nobody wanted that, why introduce it with 4.0? Fuck Google really)
>>
>>53585876
It's just using available memory VERY generously. If it is in bounds the UI won't lag even in the lowest frequency(I tried). Shitty apps can lag no matter what though. Shitty apps include - EVERY OEM skin, they are reimplementing less, and worse, whatever is already available on pure aosp based ROMs, they are also using barely any of available kernel optimizations. Not sure about wp but iOS takes advantage of its fast storage(Android phones use MMC, iPhones have real ssd)and unloads background apps to disk. Android though keeps apps in RAM even after you close them and sometimes even before you launch them. Basically, to judge Android you have to try pure Android. Even nexuses come pre-bloated.
>>
>>53587389
>making free use of multi million investments is not theft
I forgot Android related threads lure the most autistic of fedoras.
>>
>>53587580
>Basically, to judge Android you have to try pure Android.
Yes that's a point I'd like to adress. I know 'real' Android is actually a good OS, but in the real world nobody uses it.

What's the point of CM or aosp if in the end 99% of the world uses either Touchwizz, HTC Sense or some Chinky ROM?
>>
>>53587566
It takes me literally less than 10 minutes to do a clean install, change settings to my liking and reinstall apps. Backups are unnecessary on phone. If you don't like upgrading, don't. bait/8.
>>
>>53587611
Well, 99% of people don't care. What's stopping you to have the best possible experience?
>>
>>53587629
Step up anon, I literally travel 10 minutes into the past when flashing the latest ROMs.
>>
>>53587582
cuck
>>
>>53587653
Nothing.
But can't these companies see they make a very bad name for both Google and themselves? If they were to just ship Android as it's supposed to be people wouldn't think it's so slow and laggy compared to iOS.

Also what's a good place to get custom ROMs? I'm going to flash my brother his S5 this afternoon.
>>
>>53587254
Wait so... The red is return nitro? That makes it slower?
This confuses me..
>>
>>53587670
That's what I'm wondering too. Why invest millions into something a single Pajeet has already done better(just because he himself is using that phone)? All ROMs are generally available on XDA.
>s5
I believe you're out of luck.
>>
>>53586003
Android 6 on a s4 mini?
Howw
>>
>>53587670
They don't care about names, they care about money. If a manager is good enough, he just company-hops from one position to another new and open position. The leaders of most companies nowadays don't have a personal connection to the company they lead.
It's what Steve Jobs was so well known for: To really care about his own company until the end. Just like Bill Gates, or Mark Zuckerberg. Although they don't lead the projects in a literal and direct sense anymore, they still care about the company they once started and therefore they still have a vote on what happens. The old Atari founder was the opposite: That guy only cared for his own wealth, once he got rich, he let Atari "crash".

But Samsung, Sony or HTC? These are just companies with very wild management history, or none at all (HTC is a quite new company as far as I know).

>>53587716
elephone (I guess their pun was intended) does exact that: They've got forums on their website on which ROMs can be posted in and they search for pajeet developers to make the ROMs.
>>
>>53587582
Look at this cuck and laugh
>>
>>53587780
>elephone
They are using mediatek exclusively though, it's not very dev friendly.
>>
>>53587699
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/07/30/nitrous/
>>
>>53587878
I hate mediatek.

They literally break all the rules and licences and the cuck'd western world just watches as china blatantly steals all intellectual property, now even in the microchip and linux world.
>>
File: 1307546176678.jpg (53 KB, 460x305) Image search: [Google]
1307546176678.jpg
53 KB, 460x305
>>53585876
THIS! OP's pic related! Its SO FUCKING true I hate it...
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (31 KB, 499x469) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
31 KB, 499x469
Guise, i had a pic of the thread with this image but, I've lost it
the thread goes
>but if he'd pile some more ladders, he could've got over the wall
>>welcome to android optimization
>>
>>53585924
Because OEMs want to make their phone stand out and keep customers.
>>
>>53587389
Sorry for late response. What i mean is sd cards or flash memory in phones are limited in writes. So itll eventually die real soon from torrenting
>>
>>53587054
Same, MotoG 1st gen with CM 12.1. I'm waiting for another month or so to upgrade to 13. It's fast, battery life is great unless I play Clash Royale with my mates.
>>
>>53588000
It's not write intensive. In fact flash's better suited for fragmented read/writes.
>>
>>53588000
Stop spreading fud. They break ealier, yes, but it still takes years. I'm having a 64GB mSD card in a laptop that's getting used as main storage and that thing is going strong for way over a year now with heavy usage.
>>
>>53587264
>clearing your ram
Are you fucking stupid? Why even have ram if you are going to close down every app all the time
>>
Android is the prime example why gc'd languages shouldn't be used for anything real-time. Once there's enough RAM to quench gc, wow, surprise, it's fast. Fucking hate that meme.
>>
File: qjPgp0M.gif (49 KB, 69x120) Image search: [Google]
qjPgp0M.gif
49 KB, 69x120
>>53585876
No centralized hardware
>>
>>53588174
Are you too poor for having spare free clear RAM?
>>
Why Google isn't providing paid software support for OEMs is fucking beyond me. The only other organization with comparable experience in Android development is CAF. Just outsource the fuck out that shiet, redirect customers there as well.
>>
>>53586459
My Nexus 4 just broke yesterday... I miss it man
feelsbad.png
>>
>>53588267
Because you pay anyway.
Also: Google blames the manufacturer, manufacturer blames Google et voilĂ ! Nobody needs to fix the bug and you get to buy yet another Android.
>>
>>53588414
Google isn't getting paid that way. Sure, that'd bloat their staff, but there are BILLIONS of phones. Fucking gold mine.
>>
>>53588174
Yeah, because having every app you ever opened sit in RAM is a great system. Few applications later on each new application opened you first have to swap to make a bit of space in RAM and then load up your new application there. Speed gained++
Great system
>Why even have ram if you're not going to use it as storage
>>
>>53588454
App cache is not getting swapped. But having more free RAM makes gc less pressured and delays activation of OOM mechanisms, hence smoothness.
>>
>>53587929
Oh okay yeah i get it. They should label things respectively.
It makes sense that nitro would allow for the apps that run on it to be better.
>>
>>53588550
>App cache is not getting swapped
Phew, good, I don't know why I thought they took that route.
Maybe I should read about how Android works first and then post about it.
>>
>>53585876
>snapdragon 400
>>
>>53589056
You'll be surprised, but most Android phones don't have swap at all. Some have zram, but a swap partition? That's pretty rare. Swappines value is just a legacy. But with custom ROMs anything is possible, even UKSM.
>>
>>53587090
That's what I was thinking, doesn't it use ART or something?
>>
>>53587566
Agreed, MTP is kinda shit. Good news! On android you can sync folders to a home server, any cloud service, or plug in a flash drive.
>>
>>53585876
avoid installing bloatware that runs on the background and reset your phone

I have the same exact hardware (Moto G) and had no problems since the day I bought it (2014).

I use nova launcher too, honestly pretty much any android in the market today can avoid lag if you don't run 3000 apps in the background and half of them are useless crap such as anti viruses and "boosters"/task killers.
>>
>>53590200
All bloatware is already installed, m8.
>>
>>53585876
>no mention of Ubuntu touch, best smartphone OS
>>
>>53591042
even less relevant than WP
>>
File: apps.png (496 KB, 500x970) Image search: [Google]
apps.png
496 KB, 500x970
My Android is super fucking slow. Can anyone help me diagnose it? These are all the apps I have installed.
>>
>>53592922
>Root browser
There's your problem you idiot, you've tried hacking your phone!
>>
>>53592922
is that the g2?
>>
>>53596284
Yeo
>>
>>53585876
Install FreeBSD.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.