[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vim or Emacs? What do you use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7
File: emacs-vs-vim2.jpg (82 KB, 569x400) Image search: [Google]
emacs-vs-vim2.jpg
82 KB, 569x400
Vim or Emacs? What do you use?
>>
vim . would like to learn M-x too to compare .
>>
>>53575029
Tryed spacemacs?
>>
Vim, i need a text editor not another os
>>
http://strawpoll.me/7126345
>>
>>53574893
Pico.
>>
>>53574893
ed
>>
sublime text 2
>>
>>53574893
GVim. Using the CLI exclusively when you don't have to is for posers.
>>
emacs
>>
>>53574893
superior nano ofc
>>
>>53575233
/thread
>>
>>53574893
Your mom desu
>>
>>53574893
vim
>>
Nano desu
>>
Vim, but I actually use nano for most things.
>>
4coder

http://www.4coder.net/
>>
File: 1456169380102.jpg (299 KB, 1280x1929) Image search: [Google]
1456169380102.jpg
299 KB, 1280x1929
>>53574893
Vim. Never tried emacs.
How does emacs feel compared to vim?
>>
File: 4L_c4RfBFut.jpg (60 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
4L_c4RfBFut.jpg
60 KB, 600x399
>>53575351
>he's not intelligent enough to use the cli
>he has to use a GUI
>what a giant pussy
>>
Serious question :

What's so appealing to emacs and vim that people still use them ? Are they really that better than an IDE editor?
>>
>>53575403
Like carpal tunnel.
>>
>>53575351
Having vim and terminals open in tmux is the best thing in the world fampai.
>>
>>53575416
Using emacs/vim doesn't mean you don't use an IDE.

Emacs and Vim are really good at manipulating text.
For emacs org mode is great for organization and writing quick documents/organizing your day, and magit is awesome for git integration.

It's also fun to just hack elisp with it, emacs is an awesome IDE for elisp, with how tightly they connect.

They can also pretty easily get set up pretty good for most languages, but even if you generally use an IDE for programming, you're still going to want to know a pure text editor.
>>
>>53575458
I thought so.
>>
>>53575416
>IDE editor

What?

If I want to use IDEs, then I'll use IDEs.
>>
>>53575478

where does the IDE editor fail? Because I feel that visual studio's editor for example is fine - what can emacs do better that's worth my time learning it?
>>
>>53575458
There is evil mode
>>
>>53575479
Only if you don't use evil mode.
>>
>>53575186
Linus pls go
>>
I've tried Spacemacs and Vim for some time but I feel it's pretty slow. Spacemacs takes a lot of time to load, and Vim's auto-completion plugins are slow as fuck.

Atom, while being a piece of JS shit, is better at both. It is still shit when opening huge files though.
>>
>>53575351
It's convient. You probably didn't give yourself enough time to get used to it desu.
>>
>>53575351

Do you write touch? not having to leave the home row makes me much less likely to lose focus when context switching
>>
>>53575416

modal editing is like flying compared to walking. Learning it is seriously worth it, and if your IDE is worth anything at all it probably has a vimlike mode
>>
>>53575502

A better vim emulator with evil mode.
Org mode in general is wonderful.

Quickly writing up some elisp and evaluating it in buffer, without any task switching is actually pretty handy.

Magit for git.

eshells.

Text macros.

Also, on the side, most of the time I'm editing text, starting up visual studio isn't practical, or even possible.
Starting up visual studio to write a quick document would be silly, not so for emacs/vim.

Not going to use visual studio to edit remote files on my test web server.....
>>
>>53575538
Just use emacs in server mode to avoid start up time.

Or just get a lighter emacs distribution.

Like vanilla emacs and toss evil in is probably all you need.
Space macs is practically an IDE.
>>
nano.
>>
>>53575584

yeah visual studio is extremely bloated i only use it for the debugger

thanks!
>>
>>53575584
Oh, acejump is also quite handy for emacs, makes jumping to points in a file a breeze.
>>
>>53575613
Emacs also has great gdb integration, but I'm not going to get into an argument of gdb vs VS.

Most of the things I've worked on don't even run on windows, so can't really comment on it.
>>
>>53575665
>but I'm not going to get into an argument of gdb vs VS.

if you imply that gdb is better just tell me that much and i'll look into it
>>
>>53575748
I'm not going to say better, but it's different, and I don't think it's worse, just a higher learning curve.

Also, most of the time, VS isn't an option, so it's gdb vs other c/c++ debuggers, and I do think it's the best of those.
>>
>>53575783

good point, thanks.
>>
>>53574893
Nano
>>
>>53575458
Pressing ctrl is not that as finger bending as all the shit vim introduces.
I have to press : a lot on vim.
It requires me to move my right hand to the right, bend my thumb under my hand and pressing shift on the other hand.
I can reach ctrl with my left pinky.
I still think vim is fine, but saying that emacs is bad because of the way they do hotkeys is just spreading FUD.
>>
i liked emacs until modeless editing made me insane and i started to think that english itself was a meta-syntax that delivered implicit self-contained commands to my brain that showed up on my current buffer as letters

hitting alt-b, k in notepad became commonplace and i had to stop using it

the nail in the coffin was learning lisp was not a language but rather a syntax, then i had to stick with vi to keep my sanity
>>
>>53575964
Why not use evil mode when you are already familiar with emacs but want vim keybindings
>>
>>53574893
Wooooo go nano
>>
>>53575125
Emacsfags getting rekt
>>
>>53576049
ok stallman........
>>
I'm trying out Vim and feel like I've been meme'd hard. Why the hell does this thing choke on long lines and is slow as fuck in general?
>>
>>53575898
nnoremap ; :

that's my first priority in any vim instance where I dont have access to my vimrc
>>
>>53576365
This guy knows what he's talking about.
I'm doing this myself. recently found an addon called clever-f that restore the lost functionality of ; (and ,) for repeating the f, F, t and T commands.
>>
>>53574893
Emacs, I'm too used to it at this point.

Btw for other emacs users, how do you set up your keyboard?
I always do win|alt|ctrl|space|ctrl|alt. I never liked mapping capslock to ctrl, I usually map it to alt.
>>
>>53575459
>gvim and terminal in i3
oh looks it's literally better
>>
>>53574893
since spacemacs I dont really need vim anymore
also I wanted an excuse to play with a lisp dialect
>>
>neovim hasn't been mentioned yet
>>
>>53576705
Reddit pls go
>>
>>53575351
How is (n)curses NOT a GUI....
>>
>>53576615
Is it slower,faster or same than vim?
>>
>>53575505
yeah... but why?
>>
Vim
>>
>>53576931
It's a TUI...
>>
>>53574893
Geany.
>>
I use vim when editing config files. Atom when programming.
>>
>applied matgematician
>tfw netbeans on Ubuntu MATE
I'm not even sorry anons
>>
File: emma_watson_sign_upskirt2.jpg (82 KB, 500x607) Image search: [Google]
emma_watson_sign_upskirt2.jpg
82 KB, 500x607
>>53575403
>>
>>53575361
If you are only editing config files sure
>>
>>53576936
It seems slower on my Windows laptop (which is not netbook intel atom shit) than on my Linux desktop.
If you emacsserver in the background, it will always open a file instantly, otherwise it takes up to 6 seconds if you have many many plugins like in Spacemacs. It's no problem since you simply run emacs in background or leave it open when your'e working.
>>
>>53575403
bags of milk etc etc
>>
>>53576994
So you can get the benefits of Emacs (mostly its much better plugin system), with the sweet modal editing of vim.
>>
>>53577309
You know, Vim gets bashed too much for its plugin system. It's very good really and enough for most needs. Neovim supposedly makes it better though I don't know much about that.

Not that guy btw
>>
File: office.png (88 KB, 650x300) Image search: [Google]
office.png
88 KB, 650x300
>>
>>53577875
How do you resist the urge to kill yourself while using Unity?
>>
i prefer neither because i am not a colossal faggot.

sublime, atom, anything with a gui.
>>
>>53577923
GVim has just as much GUI as sublime does. Now fuck off kid.
>>
>>53577937
overcompensating poser detected.
>>
>>53577904
>Unity
Is there another DE better on the market currently? Honestly desktop linux is such a mess I just spin up linux on a vm and just do my work on the terminal.
For people wanting a full desktop experience like OSX or Windows unity is the best.
>>
...wait, people use vim rather than gvim? Fucking why?
>>
>>53577961
It's really not about status. Vim just makes editing fun, it's maximum comfy. I'd rather use Sublime if I cared for status in the slightest. But whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
...wait, people use gvim rather than vim? Fucking why?
>>
>>53577966
KDE4 or KDE5, as long as it runs for you I'd say. You could also roll your own partially, like Openbox and a custom taskbar.
>>
>>53577966
>not using gnome with dash to dock setup like unity

Pleb
>>
>>53574893
Emacs with no good reason.
>>
>>53578029
>using a dock at all
Turbopleb.
>>
>>53577080
Literally what is the difference? It's a text editor. Why do you need point and click for a non-mouse task?
>>
>>53578017
>>53578029
That doesn't address my point. There's a clear difference in level of polish/animation/detail found in Unity compared to other DEs because of it's popularity and number of dedicated developers.
I'm not personally advocating usage of one DE over another (I think they're all crap), but I seriously don't see the hate for Unity. I hate Ubuntu for their spyware crap but they do have a well made DE.
>>
>>53578222
>I seriously don't see the hate for Unity
It uses a dock. That's enough reason to hate it.

>a well made DE.
Well made DEs don't come with docks.
>>
>>53578222

I'm >>53578029 and I don't hate unity. In fact, that setup was because I liked the workflow so much I copied it.

>I hate Ubuntu for their spyware crap but they do have a well made DE.

Agree. Once Ubuntu rolls out Unity 8, where they stated they won't be integrating any amazon crap, then I'll be switching over from fedora.
>>
>>53578310
>Agree. Once Ubuntu rolls out Unity 8, where they stated they won't be integrating any amazon crap, then I'll be switching over from fedora.
Same, I'm hoping linux support for the surface book improves by then. Developing on a vm is kind of a hassle.
>>
Neovim master race.
I want to like emacs, but I've never taken it upon myself to actually start using it and configuring it to suit my needs.
>>
I use the ancient hell of TECO.
>>
>>53574893
When I was 21 I had to edit this massive database using only vim, which I had no experience in. It was one of the worst computer experiences I'd ever had. I'm trying to relearn vim again, but I'm not sure how useful it will be.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.