[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The more I read about these the more I want one. i wonder how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 17
File: macproround.jpg (60 KB, 800x633) Image search: [Google]
macproround.jpg
60 KB, 800x633
The more I read about these the more I want one.

i wonder how long it will be before i can get a used one for a reasonable price, they are freaking $4000

with the success apple has with the iphone and laptops i am surprised they bother with such a niche categoy tower; they don't even have on on display at our local apple store

what do you guys think? is it a stupid waste of money as a gimmik, or is it the result of careful functional engineering?
>>
>>53573856
I do a lot of video editing. I have one. it's fucking amazing. it's so damn fast yet the size of two coke cans.
>>
whats so good about them?
is it just the smallness of it>>53573878?
>>
Waste of money on form over function. If you have the money to waste on it, then go ahead. Just know that you're paying a 40-60% premium for muh aesthetics.
>>
>>53573878

could you dual boot windows to play vidya on it?
>>
>>53573890
it packs two GPUs and a really fast SSD and tons of ram in a tiny amount of space. it's also silent most of the time.
>>
>>53573924
yeah but why would you play vidya on it?
>>
>>53573924
Why is every other post on /g/ about games?
>>
>>53573924
yes. Win has drivers for it. you can play anything recent with good fps.
>>
>>53573878

i've read the reason these sell is it's mostly hollywood type people buying them for movie and photo editing and they seem to think it's worth it

i guess if you are making an expensive movie and are paying some guy $50,000+ a year to edit and do shit all day it does not make sense to skimp and try to save two grand on the one tool he uses to do that by trying to buy a cheap powerful enough computer
>>
>>53573878

did you buy it yourself? what monitor do you use?
>>
>>53573942
>yeah but why would you play vidya on it?

because if I had just dropped $4000-$6000 on a computer, it would be nice not to also have a $1500 less powerful gaming rig for when i want to play video games
>>
>>53573943
>Why is every other post on /g/ about games?

because people here like video games and the only reason for most random guys to build or have a super powerful computer is for gaming, a relatively cheap and simple computer will do fine for all the needs of most people, except games
>>
>>53573934
>it packs two GPUs and a really fast SSD and tons of ram in a tiny amount of space. it's also silent most of the time.

and it runs a xenon processor with 12 cores, that's enterprise server level shit you never even see for sale to regular people

i bet the processor is nearly $1000 alone
>>
>>53573917

i don't know brah, price out all the individual parts and then add in a case and the other little things and you might come closer to apples price than you think

and since you are not using retail stuff but server level shit you might have annoying little issues getting it to run flawlessly the way the mac does, and that is worth something if you enjoy editing videos or need to do so for work and don't want to tinker with driver and compatibility issues between your retail OS trying to run a custom built server as a desktop PC

ecc memory, xenon processors etc price adds up...
>>
>>53573947

neat
>>
>>53573982
>did you buy it yourself? what monitor do you use?
Yes. I bought it myself. I use a 5K Dell UP2715K display. Bought it few months ago and replaced some older UltraHD display I used before.

>>53573965
Nahh, I'm not a hollywood type at all. I make about $140k/year (which is not that much in editing world) editing all kinds of videos for clients. Lots of YT vids, promotional stuff etc.. Biggest project I did so far was editing a documentary last year that was featured at several film festivals and won an award at HotDocs in Toronto (sadly, it didn't win for editing but for directing).

I picked up MacPro because I wanted more speed with FCPX.
>>
>>53573934
>Silent

Don't lie. Came into contact with one of these things recently, leaning over the top of it to find a network cable and the exhaust is hot enough to burn you if you're there for more than a few seconds, it's constantly spilling out 60+ degree air from the top. Only use I can think for this thing is if you're a freelancer who needs to be able to transport a small render farm by hand.
>>
>>53574260

regular people would consider someone who does what you do and makes what you make a "hollywood type", kind of like how everyone I know thinks I am a very smart "computer whiz" because I fix business computers and make websites
>>
>>53574284

i didn't know heat is equivalent to noise
>>
>>53574220

The same specced Mac Pro in the normal case goes for 1500 less on eBay. You're fooling yourself if you think you aren't paying both a mac premium and a "muh aesthetics" premium.
>>
so by the time you buy this thing, add a few options over the bare base version and buy a monitor that is of the same quality as the computer...

you could be in the range of $10,000

damn
>>
>>53574333
Thank you for nit picking. It has a noisy fan to blow air out of the case. I mean it is pretty much portable, but it's not silent by any stretch.
>>
>>53574284
I said it was silent, not cool. Well yeah, it does get hot when you do a shitton of rendering.

Only time I get it hot is when I use Maya to do some CGI work. Rendering out layers gets GPUs hot for sure. After Effects does warm it up sometimes too.

But it's still nearly silent most of the time. Doing cuts, edits, media ingestions, color correction etc... it doesn't get loud at all. Big fans are usually a lot quieter than smaller ones.

>>53574312
I get your point. I'm just saying I'm nowhere close to those editors in Hollywood that make feature films.
>>
>>53574364
>The same specced Mac Pro in the normal case goes for 1500 less on eBay.

i don't think there is such a thing as an exact same speced factory new old case mac pro as the new one

if you are talking bout a refurbished machine with added parts by some basement company....

well you can always get shit made by any company cheaper by doing that vs buying new and unfucked with
>>
>>53574391
>It has a noisy fan to blow air out of the case
The fan is definitely not noisy at all. My old MBP's fan is way louder than Mac Pro's. The fan is large and large fans are not as noisy as smaller ones. I'm sure some acoustics guy can explain why that is.
>>
>>53574378

POORFAG DETECTED
>>
>>53574391
>It has a noisy fan to blow air out of the case.

it's is literally 90% less noisy than an equal power box tower type computer under load, it is almost silent
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-19-15-18-31.png (444 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-19-15-18-31.png
444 KB, 1080x1920
>>53574427
>>
>>53574432

i mean maybe it's worth it, but that is a shocking price for a desktop computer to me

if some guy uses it every day and makes $100,000 a year with it and it lasts him 2+ years then it's not an unwise purchase

but it's still a shocking price
>>
>>53574496
>but it's still a shocking price
Not really considering how much RAM, SSD, GPU and CPU you get for it.

Even if you built the PC yourself with the exact same components, you'd arrive at a similar price.
>>
>>53574496

You just don't appreciate design. I can't wait til my mac is paid off.
>>
>>53574460

those are what are known as "used computers" and the parts in them are slower and out of date compared to the new Mac Pro

the specs are not the same because the parts and chips are different (they use more modern chips nearly every year and the years old chips are less valuable) and they are used

a new car costs more than the same model car that is 5 years old and has been used

i can explain further if need be
>>
>>53574536

You keep saying that but you haven't posted a pc parts link yet.
>>
>>53574536
>Not really considering how much RAM, SSD, GPU and CPU you get for it.
>Even if you built the PC yourself with the exact same components, you'd arrive at a similar price.

you may be right, i just don't even think about a $10,000 desktop, seems like a lot

like when i hear some fancy car is $300,000, it might be "worth" that much money because it's made out of titanium and moon rocks

but that's a shocking amount to spend on a car
>>
>>53574564
>You keep saying that but you haven't posted a pc parts link yet.

not our job, go look it up

just the processors and gigs of ecc memory and the fast SSDs and dual high end vid cards are thousands of dollars, these are not the kind of computer parts you are used to working with, they are server level components

just me pointing that out, if you know anything about computers, should let you know the thing is not just a round computer they charge shitloads of money for by tricking suckers into buying them

go look at the apple spec page for the specific chips and cards used, then go to newegg and you will see this shit aint free
>>
File: mp13_apart_main-640x853.jpg (116 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
mp13_apart_main-640x853.jpg
116 KB, 640x853
>>53574564
>You keep saying that but you haven't posted a pc parts link yet.
meh, lots of people have done it. before.

for example,

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/173695-apples-new-overpriced-10000-mac-pro-is-2000-cheaper-than-the-equivalent-windows-pc
>>
>>53574662

>Prices 512gb SSDs at 450 dollars each
>Prices 32gb of DDR3 at 360 dollars

The fuck am I reading?
>>
>>53574730
It's a little inflated due to age, but If you're buying PCI-E SSDs that large and ECC memory, yes, the cost can approach those numbers.
>>
>>53574810

Its wildly inflated. The ssds can be had for 180 dollars each and the ram is 100 dollars, 150 tops.

Those aren't pci ssds. ECC memory is cheaper than non-ECC, but those don't have ECC memory.
>>
> last Mac pro release was 2013
> can't even vr
God these applefags are so so SO stupid. Just buy it dipshit.
>>
>>53574730

>i don't know what ecc memory is
>i don't know some ssds are "PCI" and hit that bus and not the SATA bus and are wildly expensive

this is what people have been saying the whole thread, it's server level shit

it's made out of the parts that the professional servers that host the content on the Internet which can't ever go down or break or have bugs, it's not made out of the same parts as your shitty home computer

it's made for parts designed for nearly 100% load at all times that cant go down or it will break an entire companies infrastructure, not for something some guy is just going to use to check his email and dick around with running his processors at less than a quarter load the vast majority of the time he uses it a few times a day

the memory it uses would not plug into your motherboard, the chip would not plug into the socket on your computer
>>
>>53574859
>Its wildly inflated. The ssds can be had for 180 dollars each and the ram is 100 dollars, 150 tops.

you are doing what everyone does and looking up the cheapest shit you can find with the same specs, apple does not use off brand memory you have to find the brand they use then compare it

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/1866D3E8M32/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=CKa04ozDzcsCFYw2gQod4OoA7g

just the vid cards the mac pro uses are $500 each retail

the SSDs are not regular sata cheap ass kingston SSDs, they are server SSDs

name brand actual enterprise server parts are fucking expensive

you cant compare them to the cheapest clone knock offs you can find
>>
>>53574929

I'm familiar with ECC and non-ECC ram. The Mac Pro doesn't have ECC ram because it doesn't need that level of reliability. ECC ram is only used in servers because its much slower than non-ECC, nearly 10 times slower.

Also, the website you listed said the Mac Pro uses Samsung 850 pros, which are 150 dollars for 512gb, not the 450 dollars stated.

>its made for parts designers

No it's not. Mac doesn't support CAD.
>>
>>53575076
>The Mac Pro doesn't have ECC ram

yes

it

does

can you not go look up the specs on the apple page?
>>
>>53575076
>The Mac Pro doesn't have ECC ram because it doesn't need that level of reliability.
Guess you can't read
>>
>>53575049

ECC is much slower, nobody uses ECC in desktop builds.
>>
>>53575076
>No it's not. Mac doesn't support CAD.
wat? wtf does that even mean?

ps: just look at Autodesk's offerings: http://www.autodesk.com/solutions/mac-compatible-software
>>
>>53575153
>no consumer uses ECC in desktop builds.
ftfy
>>
File: 796.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
796.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
>>53574558
good one op
>>
>4000 dollars
Those are only like 20 bucks at Walmart. They're usually near the totes or the kitchen supplies and stuff.
>>
File: pic_disp.jpg (45 KB, 630x426) Image search: [Google]
pic_disp.jpg
45 KB, 630x426
>>53575153
>ECC is much slower, nobody uses ECC in desktop builds.
STFU.

only reason why people don't use ECC is because they're price conscious and want cheaper shit.
>>
>>53575194

Look it up. If youre going to say that parts designers use Macs, at least know what kind of software they use.
>>
>>53575076

that was not me that was another guy, the prices of SSDs are falling dramatically, you need to go find the SSD they use today as they are selling today's computer today, not yesterday's computer

that article doing the breakdown was a few years old, 500gb ssds were that price then

also they had to design and build a motherboard to use ecc memory and have slots for 2 video cards and a whole bunch of other shit

the xenon processor they use today is $700 just for the fucking chip, all the parts add up, $1000 for vid cards, so now we are at $1700 and we have not even added ecc ram or the motherboard or case any thing else

let's say all the rest of that shit costs $1500, now we are at $3200 with no OS

now we have to pay engineers to make all this shit work together flawlessly and not need to be tinkered with by the end user who just wants it as a tool for editing videos and does not want to fuck with little computer problems (which i promise you that you would have if you tried to build something like this yourself)

it might be expensive, but it's not a ripoff
>>
>>53575247
you don't know shit. SolidWorks is the only non-Mac CAD I know yet it runs find in a VM. Everything else has a Mac equivalent.

Fusion 360 is fucking amazing, for example.
>>
File: download.jpg (129 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
129 KB, 640x400
ITT
>>
>>53575153

nobody uses it because it's not needed (ecc is all about reliability in server situations where it can't ever break, not speed) and it costs more
>>
muh trashcan design
>>
>>53575230
That's not true at all. ECC memory has practically no use for an average PC user. Its' only applications are in highly sensitive financial or scientific applications where memory integrity is crucial. The added computational overhead of error checking in the memory does not provide any benefit to an average user.
>>
>>53575323

kek its literally a 10k trashcan. Macfags will buy anything.
>>
>>53575329
>That's not true at all. ECC memory has practically no use for an average PC user. Its' only applications are in highly sensitive financial or scientific applications where memory integrity is crucial. The added computational overhead of error checking in the memory does not provide any benefit to an average user.
Mac Pro is not targeted at consumers where errors don't matter as much. If you're a retarded gaymer, a pixel that's off here and there doesn't matter.

>>53575339
trashcan the size of two coke cans... sure thing kid.
>>
>>53575358

>$10000 wont even buy you a full sized trashcan
>>
You can build a much better machine for cheaper.

Not to mention the hardware is 4 years out of date. You can't get a mac pro as good as a computer with modern hardware. Not like you could 4 years ago either, but now it isn't even close.
>>
>>53575329

the target of the Mac Pro is NOT the average user, it is professionals, not retail home computer users

also i may be wrong but i think xenon processors require you to use ecc mem or that there may be some other engineering reason they needed to use ecc because of their use of other server quality parts in the machine

also you are wrong about ecc only being used in the most sensitive possible cases

tons of small and medium size business have regular tower small business servers with ecc memory
>>
>>53575380
macfags will defend this
>>
>>53575401

>le server-quality meme
>>
>>53575401
>business servers
>not sensitive data

ok
>>
>>53575430

would you like to know how I know you have never worked on or around servers that thousands of people are relying on?
>>
>>53575481

How many of those are Macs?
>>
>>53575433

he made it out like they were only specil use cases by huge banks and nasa

i was just saying ecc is used where reliability is paramount and that could be the server at a chain of carpet stores or a professional workstation type computer, it's expensive but it's not some wildly exotic thing, however you don't see it in regularfag computers
>>
>>53575499

how many of them use the components we are talking about here with various brand names on the case of the company that assembled those components?

all of them

the fact it says mac on the side does not mean the xenon processor inside becomes cheap and useless
>>
File: giphy.gif (3 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3 MB, 500x500
>>53575273
>the xenon processor they use today is $700 just for the fucking chip, all the parts add up, $1000 for vid cards, so now we are at $1700 and we have not even added ecc ram or the motherboard or case any thing else
>let's say all the rest of that shit costs $1500, now we are at $3200 with no OS
>now we have to pay engineers to make all this shit work together flawlessly and not need to be tinkered with by the end user who just wants it as a tool for editing videos and does not want to fuck with little computer problems (which i promise you that you would have if you tried to build something like this yourself)
>it might be expensive, but it's not a ripoff

this

how do you people not get it?
>>
>>53575544
>>53575515
>>53575481
>>53575401
>>53575313
>>53575273
>>53575049
>>53574929

It would be less obvious you were the same shill if you didn't have atrocious grammar.
>>
>>53575597

mad
>>
>>53575591
>3200 dollars in hardware
>charge 10000

Don't forget all the marketing and shill expenses.
>>
>>53575676

they start at $3999
>>
looks like they do use PCIe ssds in the Mac Pro, I bet those are expensive
>>
OP, check this out and buy a PC ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dNXramIIY
>>
6-core xeons must be anime, because they belong in the trash
>>
>>53575905

why do you say that
>>
>>53575076
This is what Winfags and Linuxpoors have - lies. They will shamelessly lie. Most are probably liberal Bernie supporters too.

Fucking faggots think a $200 Chromebook is the same as a Macbook for fuck's sake.
>>
>>53573917

>Mac Pro
>form over function

Please explain how. I know for a fact you don't even know what it looks like inside. Its all function you dumb fuck. The thermal core with large singular fan is one of the best functioning heatsinks ever.
>>
>>53575676

It starts at $3,000 and can be configured to $9,600. Do you just lie to yourself until you believe it? Or can you legitimately not even read a webpage?
>>
>>53576105
Winfaggots and linuxpoors basically have no authentic criticism of Apple, or its products, so lies and hyperbole are all those gaymer neckbeard forever alone kissliss virgin manlets have.

Pretty pathetic.
>>
>>53573856
>three year old GPUs
>>
>>53576137

it's basically like

>"Ferraris are a ripoff!, you can build a car for 1/10th the price!!"
>but it won't be as fast
>My uncle put a huge engine in an old camaro once, it was as fast as a ferrari! you guys are suckers!
>that's nice but the ferrari is built to work together as a unit and corners well, brakes amazingly and it looks sexy and has nice leather seats and everything was made to go together, yeah they are expensive but you can't make something that nice by yourself in your basement, you will be endlessly fucking with it and it will still never be as smoothly good
>MY UNCLES CAMARO COULD GO AROUND CORNERS U GUYS ARE SHILLS AND STUPID, STOP GETTING RIPPED OFFFF
>>
>>53576137

Apple breaks even on this computer. They make most of their money On iPhones. If you think you need this computer, then you probably don't. Unless you're editing 4k movies 8 hours a day, its way more than you need.
>>
>>53576338

All luxury brands cost a premium. If you're looking for a performance in a computer, you aren't going to buy a 3 year old Mac.
>>
>>53576398
You sure as fuck aren't buying a new Dell either.
>>
It has outdated hardware, horrible airflow and is liable to burn your house down,
and the exterior looks like one of those children's plastic toys.
Not to mention some models have faulty graphics chips.

I don't know why you would want one. You are better off building your own shit. Even as eyecandy it fails.
>>
>>53577737

No, you'd buy a custom build that takes your needs into account. This deprecated Mac Pro is only purchased by try-hards with more disposable income than sense. If Apple really wants to compete in the high-end markets, their product cycles have to be shorter than 4 years.
>>
>>53573878

What have you compared it to? The only I've seen IRL was super slow compared to their previous equipment.
>>
>>53577780
Apple used to have normal cycle lengths for their pro lines. The problem is that the market for their pro lines nearly vanished over the years, with the bulk of their sales being consumer-oriented laptops and desktops.

That's also why Apple can afford to build Mac Pro's in the US: production volume for these machines is abysmally low compared to, say, macbook airs.
>>
>>53577780

that is a fair criticism however i think apple may not be interested in dominating that market as they once more

they only about break even in that market and people still bitch about the price, why bother when they have the iphone
>>
File: tbl-cube1.jpg (105 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
tbl-cube1.jpg
105 KB, 600x582
>>53573856

Meh. I wish they would bring back the aluminum towers and try to at least sort of compete with the high end on price/performance.

Or at least resurrect this.
>>
>>53577819
>What have you compared it to? The only I've seen IRL was super slow compared to their previous equipment.

not sure how something running PCIe hard drives and dual video cards on a xenon processor could be "slow"
>>
>>53576338
Are you saying Apple is Ferrari?
Are you high? Apple is the opposite.
Ferrari is an edgy car that focuses on performance for an exuberant price. It's the Alienware of the car industry.
Apple is more like one of those elegant looking sedans that are affordable by the middle-class faggot, yet give them the sense as if they are part of the high-class society, but without any of the performance.

>>53576137
Windows and Linux are Operating Systems, not hardware. You can run both environments on Apple hardware.
As such, the only argument you can make is that they have no authentic criticism of OS X.
As far as Apple hardware goes, i can list you 7 instances of Apple completely fucking up their hardware products with flawed retarded design and shitty build quality.
The trashcan deserves most of the criticisms over how horrible it is, both in performance and in aesthetics.
>>
>>53577839
>once more

once were
>>
>>53577830

The iPhone makes up 60-70% of their profits, they aren't even trying in anything else. As long as they can trick normies into overpaying for antiquated phones, they're going to milk that.
>>
>>53573856
From the reviews I've read, cpu temps reach 90+ degrees under load.
>dropped

>>53577849
He's saying that there are faster options, autist.
>>
>>53577859
>Are you saying Apple is Ferrari?
>Are you high? Apple is the opposite.
>Ferrari is an edgy car that focuses on performance for an exuberant price. It's the Alienware of the car industry.
>Apple is more like one of those elegant looking sedans that are affordable by the middle-class faggot, yet give them the sense as if they are part of the high-class society, but without any of the performance.

at the time the current mac pro (the trashcan one) came out, it was pretty much the most powerful desktop ever made and was quickly adopted and loved as a work machine by people who use them 8 hours a day under load rendering,

everything you are saying is categorically wrong
>>
>>53576010
>The thermal core with large singular fan is one of the best functioning heatsinks ever.
>90+ C under load

ok kid
>>
File: ERrcf.jpg (311 KB, 2048x1243) Image search: [Google]
ERrcf.jpg
311 KB, 2048x1243
>>53577842
Jobs tried (pic related) but everyone who wasn't an Apple fan laughed.

>>53577862
>antiquated phones
They don't update their phones 50 times per year because they don't need to. It's rare the the competition gets a mentionable leg up in terms of CPU power. My 6+ which is a model behind, soon to be 2 models behind, has no trouble keeping up with the latest Android phones.
>>
>>53577849
Sorry I was unclear. I was meaning rendering time.

>>53577918
Of course there are but that was not what I was saying.
>>
>>53577949

haha i remember that cube thing

why did they do that
>>
>>53574404
Listen here you pleb. The CPU and the GPU share the same heat spreader which is literally incapable of cooling them off when under heavier loads (which is why you buy a fucking workstation tier pc, to floor it and get top perf) so it will throttle the clocks shitting on your overall performance and time invested.
You stupid motherfuckers would be so much better off if you spent literally an hour reading up on this shit.
You would literally be making more money if you didn't buy this can of shit.
>>
>>53577949

Their phones are overpriced and don't have features that Android phones have had for years. Apple doesn't even support NFC yet.

How do you think they're able to make so much profit off such a small part of the market? The units are overpriced.
>>
>>53577981
Because Jobs and Jony wanted to try making a powerhouse computer that was a departure from the bog standard towers people had been making for decades because while towers are functional, they're boring and creatively bankrupt - there's not but so much that can be done with the form factor. It's the same reason the NeXT cube was a cube and why the current Mac Pro is a cylinder.
>>
File: 1458164827345.jpg (33 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1458164827345.jpg
33 KB, 640x640
>buying a fancy trash can
>>
>>53578003

people who buy iphones don't want every little feature in the world

they want something simple to use that does not feel like they are using a computer that will let them send photos and use apps easily

my mom can use her iphone like she's had it since she was a kid, configuring an android phone would baffle her

it's a complicated thing made to be used by people who don't like using complicated computery things, that's what most computer nerds don't get, the iphone is not for them, it's for normies and it's perfect in that respect
>>
>>53577921
>at the time the current mac pro (the trashcan one) came out, it was pretty much the most powerful desktop ever made
Sure, and at the time of the release of gaming consoles they were also the most powerful gaming systems ever made.
Except not.
AMD FirePro was trash, the chipsets had problems later,
the Intel Xeon offers at release were sub-par to existing high-end units.

The worst was the lack of serviceability. Something professionals rely on heavily to be constantly up-to-date without having to castrate their net profit by replacing whole computers.

>and was quickly adopted and loved as a work machine
I love how you completely evade providing percentages of how many people adopted it and where.
It was a minority in the professional scene.
People are more about the rmbp, than the trashcan.
>>
File: CiTqf.Em.156.jpg (113 KB, 570x410) Image search: [Google]
CiTqf.Em.156.jpg
113 KB, 570x410
>>53578031
>fancy
The exterior looks cheaper than Darth Vader's helmet.
>>
>>53578003
Differing feature sets aren't a matter of objective better or worse, they're a matter of better or worse for *you*. People place value in different things.

I use and own both iOS and Android devices, with iOS serving my smartphone needs and Android serving my leisure time needs because that's how I use my devices. For some the reverse works better, and others yet get more bang for their buck going wholesale with one camp or the other..

Simply put, it's not a binary issue.
>>
>>53578048

That's fine. I understand its baby's first phone, but Apple charges an exorbitant amount for a phone with such poor performance and features. Its profit line shows that.
>>
>>53578102

they charge what the market will bear

it's a premium product, i don't know much about programming but i am pretty sure a shit ton of programming went into making a tiny phone that my mom can pick up and make great use of,

there is no other phone that can do as much while being as easy to use, but others will catch up and apples reign over the normies will end, they know this so they are thinking about what to do when the party is over, such as building a car

A hamburger at a nice restaurant can be $10, do you bitch about how it's only $1 worth of ingredients? Or how you could have made it yourself cheaper?

it's luxury product, if you buy it and are happy then that's all there is to it
>>
>>53573856
Did Johnny Ive design it?
>>
>>53574859
HOI RETARD!!!!.. that mac pro use PCIE SSD not some junk kingston V300 SSD
>>
>>53573942
>>53573924

Because he's a meme.
>>
>>53578162

Android is just as easy to use. Apple just uses clever marketing and treats their customers like the morons they are. Have fun with your new one port meme.
>>
>>53574404
Hi, VFX/art student here.

If you were to render a 30 minute film with highpoly character models and an HDR all in Mental Ray, how long does it normally take?
>>
File: BPGoOxpVpqOqwmjl.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
BPGoOxpVpqOqwmjl.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
>>53577949
I guess a mini-itx board would fit the cube.
>>
>>53578287

i don't know bro i have an android phone and it took me 2 weeks to get it the way i want it
>>
>>53578072
>he thinks he can tell how good the quality of a product is by looking at a photo
>>
>>53573856
Bought a used entry level macbook pro 2012 for $400, added 8gb and later on will replace HDD with an ssd. I had an AMD A8 laptop and this macbook runs circles around that. I've read that the last aluminum macpros can be found for around 700-1200.
>>
>>53578162
>A hamburger at a nice restaurant can be $10, do you bitch about how it's only $1 worth of ingredients?
it's not $1 worth of ingredients you fag + you aren't taking into account the cost for the chef to prepare your meal

terrible analogy, kill yourself
>>
>>53578326

Well, luckily for you, Apple doesn't let you customize anything.
>>
>>53578367
Well yes. There is a big difference between good quality folded metal being used as the main case material,
and shitty plastic.
The difference is like the difference between a children toy hammer, and a real all-metal hammer.
>>
>it's plastic that means it's shitty
end your life
>>
>>53578437
>plastic is not shitty for what is supposed to be a luxury eyecandy product
Said nobody ever in Human history ever till you came along.
>>
>>53574048
Are you serious? This thread is tech illiteracy on an insane level
>>
>>53575076
You could partition and install Windows for Autocad.
>>
>>53574653
Server level components hah we use 4x 20 core Xeons its 768GB RAM on our VDI farm blades.

This mac is still a toy and you could get way better value building the system yourself.
>>
>>53578509
>The new Mac Pro packs an unprecedented amount of power in an unthinkable amount of space. A big reason we were able to do that is the ingenious unified thermal core. Rather than using multiple heat sinks and fans to cool the processor and graphics cards, we built everything around a single piece of extruded aluminum designed to maximize airflow as well as thermal capacity. It works by conducting heat away from the CPU and GPUs and distributing that heat uniformly across the core. That way, if one processor isn’t working as hard as the others, the extra thermal capacity can be shared efficiently among them. No computer has been built this way before. And yet it makes so much sense, it’s now hard to imagine building one any other way.
>we built everything around a single piece of extruded aluminum designed to maximize airflow as well as thermal capacity.
>aluminum

according to this retard, aluminum is a plastic
>>
>>53578437
>it's plastic that means it's shitty

t. mac users
>>
>>53578624
>t. mac users
>he must be a mac user because he doesn't have an unwarranted hatred towards apple products
I use linux, btw
>>
>>53578608
The inside is aluminium retard.
The outside is shitty plastic.

>we made a compact desktop with the best thermal properties out there
>the trashcan overheats enough to burn down a house
KEK

>>53578437
The reason rMBP and iPhones sell like hotcakes is the aluminium exterior design,
while the trashcan is the least sold Apple product even among the intended audience.
>>
>>53575273
Im quite sure the parts apple outsource for are bought at wholesale before being sold at retail so they may be getting the processors,Mobo's,RAM and video cards for even less.
>>
>>53578608

The heatsink is aluminum. Read that again.
>>
>>53578662
Reading comprehension?
>>
>>53578664
You're right. I guess thinkpads are garbage too since they're exterior is plastic. Since by your logic, plastic exterior = bad product.

>>53578677
I know what it says; the other guy is implying the mac pro is bad because it's all plastic.
>>
>>53578705
>I guess thinkpads are garbage too since they're exterior is plastic.
I never said they weren't garbage in exterior build quality.
But they also aren't sold as a luxury product, which is the topic here.

So are you going to continue trying to backpedal and look stupid? Or are you going to grow some thicker skin and stop posting when you know it would be smart to do so?
>>
>>53578750
it's not a luxury product it's a workstation dude
>>
>>53578761
A workstation is a serviceable product with abundant airflow for optimal operation, and the ability to provide the professional using it with up to date hardware with a simple component replacement without influencing his net profit by replacing a whole computer.
The trashcan is none of that.
>>
>>53578287
It is, but that ease of use extends to shooting oneself in the proverbial foot, too. It's stupidly easy to install shitware, even with the pre-install permissions dialog.

Most of us on /g/ are technically savvy enough that this is no issue, but that's not true for the general populous.
>>
File: 1433564435816.png (362 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1433564435816.png
362 KB, 700x700
>>53578664

Macbook Pros sell like hotcakes?
>>
>>53579090
Among Apple hardware, yes.
>>
>>53579075

Lol wut? You have to go into the advanced security settings to enable installation of unknown apks. Even then you get a dozen warnings before you can install a malicious apk.
>>
>>53579090
Keep the toons at home, son. Adults are talking.
>>
>>53573856
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDmOHU6lmRw
>>
>>53579138

You're on a japanese imageboard, the fuck are you expecting?
>>
>>53579138
>Adults are talking.
>on 4chan
>>
>>53575704
...and the list of hardware that the person was talking about was not for the base model
>>
>>53576010
LOL, the thing overheats and throttles consistently
>>
>>53577921
The hardware in the mac pro was kind of outdated even when it first came out, are you shitting me?
>>
for the love of fuck i hate every single one of you stupid faggots that said "xenon". you're fucking clueless. you must have never used any of this. it's fucking xeon.
>>
>>53573856
Any computer that overheats under full load at stock clocks is not a result of any sort of functional engineering.
>>
psst
https://youtu.be/NDmOHU6lmRw
>>
>>53578796
B O I
>>
>>53580070

Macfags BTFO
>>
>>53573856
Hopelessly outdated, throttled and low-end for a workststion, expandability hobbled to a latent external bus for a small form factor nobody who can afford a workstation has ever given a shit about, let alone wanted.

I can respect the engineering effort behind it, but I find the final product impractical and very ugly compared to the professional, powerful and expandable system it replaced. It's a workstation for people who don't need a workstation.
>>
>>53573856
It's an espensive ashtray.
>>
>>53580230
>money is everything to poorfag windows gaymers
l m a o
m
a
o
>>
>>53578796
>the ability to provide the professional using it with up to date hardware with a simple component replacement without influencing his net profit by replacing a whole
"Professionals" aren't penny pinching gamertards, they buy workststions because they're powerful and backed by excellent support contracts. Most mid to large sized businesses swap their systems out at regular intervals, because it costs more to pay a bunch of monkeys to dick around personalizing upgrades for a fleet of EOL'd shitboxes over paying a flat million or two and plopping in a new box, imaging it and donating the old one for a nice tax write-off.
>>
I just want a broken one to show up on eBay so I can toss my SBC inside
>>
>>53580515

>money is everything to professionals

Ftfy
>>
>>53580554
Professionals also aren't chasing after cutting edge components because (shocker) the cutting edge sometimes cuts, and in business there's simply no room for that. Hardware that's been around and/or will be actively supported is more valuable is more valuable than the latest and greatest because the kinks have been smoothed out and it'll just work.

This is why when you see people bitching about hardware incompatibilities to Adobe, etc it's always coming from consumers/prosumers who are running on newer, less tested, less proven hardware.

TLDR professionals take a debian approach to hardware
>>
File: 1294618551771.jpg (10 KB, 208x208) Image search: [Google]
1294618551771.jpg
10 KB, 208x208
>>53574391
that's just the thing though, the fan isn't noisy.

>mfw convinced my boss to get me one of these instead of a mac mini for software dev. work even though there's absolutely no reason for me to have 2 gpus
>>
>>53573878
>Size of two coke cans
>>53574428
>>
Do not get one. for half the price you can make a pc rig that is MUCH more beast. However the Mac pro's size is it's most attractive feature. But even then most homes Should have enough room to put a large case right? plus osx sucks dick get linux.
>>
>>53580929
>plus osx sucks dick get linux.
Quit being twelve, both are great.
>>
>>53580554
>"Professionals" aren't penny pinching gamertards
No. They aren't penny pinching. They are people who understand bookkeeping and know a bit about the financial function of management, and most importantly they value TIME as money.
They are the kind of people who care about profit margins and wouldn't overspend on a throttling heated piece of shit only so they can find out the graphical chipset was fucked and Apple wouldn't start a repair program for a whole year following that.
A problem that would have been fixed instantly and without problem by replacing a GPU in a normal workstation build, without wasting time.

Mid sized businesses have this thing called the IT segment, they are tasked with fixing up and servicing computers, and they do a good and fast job. I would know, because i work for a fucking media firm.
Mid sized professional businesses spend on quantity and not luxury.
If a $2000 build can be serviced and built by an IT employee and serve better than a $4000 piece of shit that overheats,
you are going to bet they are never going to go with a trashcan. The same way Google would rather plaster shit together than spend on prebuilt crap.
And the majority of medium-businesses don't buy Apple hardware, because it fucks up the profit margins. Hell, most businesses would rather pick any other UNIX solution that doesn't require licensing in comparison to Apple.
>>
>>53580956
You entirely miss the point.

Even places that have IT will most likely be buying prebuilts and imaging them. Whether that be dell, lenovo, hp, apple, whatever.

IT is for on site shit like administering networks and user policies, maybe fixing the odd hardware fuckup. They don't want to be paying some kid to be ricing out machines, because it's a waste of time and money. You seem to think a few thousand dollars for a machine is a large amount, but paying the humans to maintain those machines is far more of a cost. Anything more than re-imaging and re-seating some ram is going to see the machine sent back to the OEM and a backup being deployed in its place for minimum downtime.
>>
>>53580956
adding to my last post

>The same way Google would rather plaster shit together than spend on prebuilt crap.
Google have a fleet of macbooks for their employees portable needs and thinkstations for people who don't need that portability.

Both of these products are very expensive for what they are, but that is nothing compared to the cost of the humans.
>>
Pros:
>server-grade components
>very small case

Cons:
>it throttles
>it's actually ugly, even if small
>it's not upgradeable much, what with proprietary GPU connectors and such -- they were custom-made for the mobo, which was also custom
>so good luck working with GPUs that can't be upgraded
>no way to use CUDA, since it's all AMD-based
>all expandability will have to be be external, adding a lot of clutter, which runs contrary to the "small workstation" concept

Yeah, so, I dunno, the only acceptable use case I see is if a company buys it for you, or you just don't care about the money and want some semblance of a workstation in a compact format, because mah aesthetics. Which are not even good aesthetics, to begin with.
>>
>>53581191
GPU and SSD are proprietary but CPU and RAM are standard
>>
>>53581085
>Even places that have IT will most likely be buying prebuilts and imaging them.
That was in the past and mostly is only oriented at office workers where you don't need more than a minimum cheap piece of shit Dell like prebuilt. We are talking about proper editing work-stations here, and the mid-size businesses i deal with all do custom builds these days.
You seem to lack some basic math skills. One IT employee can manage at least 10 machines without a problem, that's a 10 x $2000 difference between a proper custom workstation and a trashcan, not including the retarded licensing and protection fees. An average IT employee gets paid ~€800 here. You make the calculations.
Do you even work for a mid-sized business? Do you even know how management works?

>>53581121
>Google have a fleet of macbooks for their employees portable needs and thinkstations for people who don't need that portability.
Nobody is talking about laptops here. Also Google is mainly run by a giant of cheap, donated, recycled, machines. All of them plastered together with custom software solutions made by Google.

Let's not even talk about the "server" label that the trashcan is marketed as.
>>
>>53581229
>Also Google is mainly run by a giant of cheap, donated, recycled, machines
This just is not true. I know 3 guys that work at Google, that might have been true in 2000 but not anymore.

>One IT employee can manage at least 10 machines without a problem, that's a 10 x $2000 difference between a proper custom workstation and a trashcan, not including the retarded licensing and protection fees. An average IT employee gets paid ~€800 here
>€800
lol, ok.

We'll take the median wage for "IT" in the US, about $50,000/yr.

10 * 2000 = 20,000USD, for the lifetime of the machines. Say 3-4 years.

Paying that IT worker to manage those 10 machines for 3-4 years will cost about 150k - 200k USD.

Great maths mate, go back to your eastern europoor shithole.
>>
>>53577921
The max amount of cores you can put in a Mac Pro is 12. It has one socket. You can buy desktops with 2 sockets and 24 cores. (Its using the 2011 v1 socket so no 18 cores yet) so its not the most powerful in the CPU department. The GPUs are 2 D700s which are equivalent to W9000s. You can get W9100s which are 40% faster and have twice the VRAM. So its not the most powerful in terms of GPU. The storage is just an SSD or HDD depending on the model. Tell me where the fuck it is the most powerful in. I can't seem to find anything in the same price range the Mac pro beats.
>>
>>53581314
>that might have been true in 2000 but not anymore.
It's very true still, and you can ask your 3 guys.

>Paying that IT worker to manage those 10 machines for 3-4 years will cost about 150k - 200k USD.
Good thing the IT worker is a mandatory existence in any business, and that managing computers more effectively like reducing the loss with machines to a minimum is one of his jobs these days, and not just networking, security, user policies, and getting up-to-date with everything that's happening in the computer and networking technology segment.

Ah, but in your opinion it's more financially and productively efficient for the same guy to replace whole computers over and over again than to maintain 10 proper and functional workstations over 3-4 years. Well existing mid-sized businesses would like to disagree.
>>
Obvious b8.

I think that anybody that actually buys this might be or is fucking autistic.

You can build a better PC for much less, Apple just loves to over price there shit.
>>
>>53580667
I entirely agree with this, I'm saying that people buy workstations for power and expansion, not upgradability.

>>53580956
Why do you seem to think I was defending or even talking about the piece of shit trashcan in any way?

>If a $2000 build can be serviced and built by an IT employee
Mid- to large-sized business haven't worked that way in decades, if really ever, they buy OEM systems in bulk at a sizable discount with support contracts that don't require them to shell millions of dollars per year on salaries for IT drones or waste valuable time and money bullshitting with a different shitty customer service department and/or glacial RMA process for each individual component.

>And the majority of medium-businesses don't buy Apple hardware, because it fucks up the profit margins.
No, it's because they have absolutely garbage enterprise support and no real advantage over PC workstations in really anything barring some platform-exclusive applications or individual user preference. Even a medium sized business will practically wipe their ass with the cost of an entry-level piece of shit like the Pro.
>>
>>53573856
>trashcan
>>
>>53581432
>Well existing mid-sized businesses would like to disagree.
Nah.
All our stuff is leased and so under warranty.
If aything goes wrong we place a call, a nerd turns up with a PC and swaps. Then he does the image thing and we're in business.
On site IT support? Yes, of course.
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.