[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't I find any extremely in depth videos of how one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: circuit.jpg (34 KB, 402x290) Image search: [Google]
circuit.jpg
34 KB, 402x290
Why can't I find any extremely in depth videos of how one of these works?

Why is it orientated like it is? What do the metal bits do?

How does it work???
>>
>>53469112
really nigga?
>>
>>53469131
yes really.
>>
>>53469112
It's secret 3d game
Trust me, I'm schizofrenic
>>
>>53469184
A circuit is just connecting one electrical signal to another. It may look complex but traces are essentially just a pile of wires connecting together on a small scale.The metal bits are called a via which connects on the other side of the board.
>>
>>53469210
did the voices in your head tell you to spell it that way?
>>
>>53469230
I'm trying not to think about that that way, they said it's bad for my mental health
>>
>>53469112
Oh its really easy OP'kun, just take 4 years of ECE classes and it will all make sense! Really though, we can answer simplistic questions on why they are the way they are, but if you really want to know, its gonna take more than a video...
Anyways the metal carries signals from chips to other chips in what are called buses, and they are arranged in a way that they are all the same length usually
>>
>>53469227
I understand the sending of signals and electrical impulses, but what I'm confused about is how such a simple process can do such complex tasks.
>>
the book "CODE - The secret language of hardware and software" might be of interest.
>>
>>53469291
>simple process

There are all sorts of components on the PCB including integrated circuits that are essentially entirer PCBs in themselves. All bar cell phones run off of just one chip for example.
>>
>>53469291
they don't, they just carry information between the stuff that does the tasks
>>
>>53469328
okay. so how do those work?

every video I've come across says "this does this, blah blah"

But I want to know WHY pieces and parts do what they do.
>>
>>53469376
they are triggered by other pieces and parts, and the whole process starts by the user clicking the on button. Definitely read >>53469300, especially if the following is what you mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNuPy-r1GuQ

Above book also has a intro to electricity basics, what it is and so on.
>>
>>53469291
tasks are performed by an array of transistors (or transistor-like circuits) that hold a voltage state high or low, represented as a binary 0 or 1.

computations can be performed by flipping the bits in a desired fashion. low-level computations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division can be completed with a few transistors and some NAND gates which change output depending on the input received. the output is stored across the transistors which hold their respective binary bits, this can then be read as a number.

digital logic is a fairly simple topic to start with, which gets expanded into memory, storage, and microprocessors later on.
>>
>>53469376
Then you need to study an electronics engineering, I could te you intrgrated circuits do all the magic and inside them there are other circuits with other components that modify the signals so you can get another output with each Input, there's not a simple answer for that.
>>
>>53469300
+1
>>
>>53469376
Boolean logic.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Projects/CAL/digital-logic/gatesfunc/
>>
>>53469112
Jason quit trying.
>>
>>53469421
oh wow. so each transistor has a designated voltage, associated with either a 1 or a 0?
>>
3rd year EE major here, I can tell you it is in fact black magic
>>
>>53469522
3rd year here too, I can verify this as well
>>
>>53469495
yes. through linking the outputs of one transistor to the input of another transistor in certain ways, you can build so called logic gates like in the youtube link in >>53469420, where it's done with dominoes. if you know the binary number system, you know each number can be represented with 1 and 0s. And you can also do addition by writing two numbers below each other, adding individual digits, taking carries etc. as you probably learnt in school for the normal number system:

10011  (19)
+01101 (15)
------
100010 (34)

(really not sure if this is correct)

You can hook up transistors together in a way that they do the individual digits for you.
>>
>>53469696
and when you have the individual digits, you get the whole number as a result. And since each individual circuit handles single digits (with an additional input signal from the previous digit telling it if there's a carry), you can add as many together as you want. You just need a way to store the result (which (simplified) involves wiring one transistor's output back to the input of its own input transistor).
So that's addition. Substraction can be done with pure addition (involves flipping all the ones to zeroes and a few other tricks), so a modified verion of a circuit doing addition is able to do substraction too. And since multiplication is nothing else than repeated addition and division is nothing else than repeated substraction, that's possible as well.
>>
>>53469696
>>53469826

Well thanks a lot man, You've helped me understand the very basics, and given me info to look into it further.
>>
>>53469522
>>53469536
leave it to the engineers to know anything about what they do
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.