[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Li-ion battery myths.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Li_ion_laptop_battery[1].jpg (4 MB, 3537x2157) Image search: [Google]
Li_ion_laptop_battery[1].jpg
4 MB, 3537x2157
Apparently
>Letting the battery drain to 0% and charging to 100% is bad for these batteries.
>Charging from 50% to 100% is good.
>If you charge from 60% (Discharged amount:40%) to 100%, then if it drains to 40%(discharged amount 60%) and you charge to hundred, then that Discharged amount of 60%+40% will be counted as 1 cycle.

Are any of these true?
>>
>>53463416

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378775306011839

>"Analyses of the cell electrochemistry showed that use of a reduced current to charge the initial 10% capacity and near the end of charge, respectively, was favorable for long cycle life."

You should avoid fully charging or draining a battery, unless you have adequate tools to alter the current during s full charge cycle.

Then again, this article is fucking 10 years old. Someone could try to find a more recent one.
>>
>>53463416

We should start having "how tos" on repacking batteries.
>>
>>53463582
My laptop battery is only lasting 1 hour now, even sitting at the desktop.

I would be interested in options aside from buying a replacement, because I'm a tight stingy bugger.
>>
>>53463582
Repacking a lithium ion battery might be an explosive endeavour
>>
>>53463582
>>53463609

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDnTXqoqjM

here ya go
>>
>>53463416
>>If you charge from 60% (Discharged amount:40%) to 100%, then if it drains to 40%(discharged amount 60%) and you charge to hundred, then that Discharged amount of 60%+40% will be counted as 1 cycle.
That one is true at least.
>>
>>53463597

buying batteries online for any device is a terrible experience, the prices are wildly different and you never know what the hell you are getting. battery pack for my asus laptop will run $17 on amazon, I have bought a replacement twice from different providers, different prices, and they never last longer than six months. it would be nice to know how to simply replace the cells inside the battery pack it may be helpful for more people as well.
>>
here is another one
>Apparently smartphone Li-ion batteries are healthy for only 300 cycles.
Which explains why most companies are moving to Non-removable batteries. More upgrades every year.
>>
>>53463617

Dude, nice. thanks.
>>
>>53463632
Don't buy consumer-tier laptops. Used business-class machines are very cheap, highly modular, and generally have large stocks of spare and upgrade parts, especially batteries, which often work across a manufacturer's entire model line.

with consumer gear, you're basically screwed after that model stops being produced.
>>
>>53463416
>Apparently
>>Letting the battery drain to 0% and charging to 100% is bad for these batteries.
True, though charging to 100% isn't too bad. 0% is very bad though.
>>Charging from 50% to 100% is good.
Charging from 50% to say, 97% is better.
>>If you charge from 60% (Discharged amount:40%) to 100%, then if it drains to 40%(discharged amount 60%) and you charge to hundred, then that Discharged amount of 60%+40% will be counted as 1 cycle.
Bullshit. You need to forget everything anyone has ever mentioned about "cycles" on li-ion batteries. A li-ion battery doesn't have a set number of cycles. The battery has a lifespan. This lifespan can be extended by taking good care of the battery. Some actual facts:

Optimal charge range is between 40% and 80%. This is why when you buy new batteries they almost always come charged to 60%.

Temperature matters. Keeping your battery relatively cool is beneficial.

Keeping your phone plugged in overnight every night is likely bad. My own phone battery started deteriorating rapidly once I started leaving it charging overnight, but this is just one case sample. Ymmv.
>>
>>53463642
but cell phone batteries are so nice and cheap, they're excellent project batteries
>>
>>53463485
As far as I'm aware most modern batteries don't charge to their physical maximum capacity anymore anyway. No source on this, though, I'm just going off of what a friend who works in the industry said.
>>
>>53463582
My Vaio UX gets decent battery as is, I'd love repacking the extended battery with some modern 18650s
>>
what about LI-PO batteries?
>>
>>53466282
You sure it's not a lithium-ion polymer battery?
>>
>>53466323
dunno
SGS II battery
>>
>>53466361
It's Li-Ion
>>
>>53465133
>Keeping your phone plugged in overnight every night is likely bad. My own phone battery started deteriorating rapidly once I started leaving it charging overnight, but this is just one case sample. Ymmv.

Depends on the phone, some have logic circuits to stop drawing power once it gets near 100%, some keep trying to charge.
>>
No, Li-Ion batteries are completely unaffected by this. It makes zero difference if you charge from 10-100% or 50-100% in terms of battery life. There's a degradation curve, but it's not cycle-dependent but rather dependent on how much energy it is recharged with. For example, you'd think that the battery life is better on a battery that's charged 50-100% instead of 10-100% since the latter has a 'shorter' lifespan, but that's because it's inputted more energy. Basically, they have the same lifespan and it depends on how much energy they get through their lifespan. In terms of absolute numbers, both ways of charging (e.g. 50-100 or 10-100) have the same lifespan in you consider NOT percentages, but absolute amount of energy/recharged.

Like if you charge from 50-100% and it lived for 100 days, and another battery that you charged from 5-100% but lived 10 days, it's pretty much the same thing because you're giving one battery only 50% of its ability, while you're recharging the other from 5-100% i.e. 95% recharge. If you consider pure energy given to the batteries over their lifespan, there is no significant difference. If you want a battery that lasts long, don't use it as often. As far as the impulse is concerned to charge a battery when it reaches 50%, it's complete bollocks and doesn't matter.
>>
Is it just me or do lenovo batteries fuck up earlier than hp ones?
>>
>>53468740
Laptop batteries are garbage in general. Always get a spare battery whenever you buy a laptop.
>>
>>53468867
I only buy used laptops. What's the best method of getting a good battery? Chink shit?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.