[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
vps just got set-up debian-8.0-x86_64 what do I do? no xserver.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: mortified.gif (235 KB, 557x360) Image search: [Google]
mortified.gif
235 KB, 557x360
vps just got set-up debian-8.0-x86_64 what do I do? no xserver. lurked enough to give up on chan.
>>
>>53436179
I don't understand what the fuck you are saying.
Install Lubuntu and move on.
>>
>>53436196
you don't understand, yet replied. fuck off.
>>
>>53436179
Install xserver?
>>
>>53436211
yeah that's where I'm kind of stooped at.
>>
>>53436179
>pay for vps
>doesn't know what to do with it
>>
>>53436225
>posts on 4chan
>doesn't know what to say with it.
>>
>>53436179
Just type this
[Code]
su
rm -rf /
[/code]
>>
File: seek medical help.jpg (29 KB, 480x416) Image search: [Google]
seek medical help.jpg
29 KB, 480x416
>>53436243
apt-get install xorg
>>
>>53436250
>just follow any instruction on chan
>>
>>53436179
>install xserver
Why would you want to do that on a VPS? It seems you got one of these lowendbox offers and they are hardly suited to run a full desktop environment.
>>
>>53436252
>/thread
>>
>>53436179
you usually don't install a desktop environment on a server, there's no reason to do that

if you REALLY want to, there are some ways with
xvfb fluxbox x11vnc
, but I don't recommend it
>>
>>53436218

If at any point you are using X (or any display server,really) on a Linux box, you done fucked up somewhere.
>>
>>53436179
from the netinst.iso minimal install

vi /etc/apt/sources.list
( press : ) then %s/jessie/unstable/g
:wq
apt update
apt dist-upgrade
reboot
apt install xorg gnome
reboot

congrats you now have a rock solid, modern linux desktop. be sure to do an "apt update && apt upgrade" every few weeks or after you read of a big security vulnerability to stay up to date
>>
>>53436321
wtf, are you dumb? just tunnel x11vnc through a keyed ssh connection, then connect to localhost

edit to>>53436578
realized OP was not a noob just a money waster
>>
>>53436634
>wtf, are you dumb?
yeah fuck you too
>>
why are you idiots telling him out to install x, linux a fucking joke of a desktop operating system and if you are STILL interested in a desktop for some dumb reason there are other desktop-oriented distros that are much easier than debian
>>
>>53436771
ubuntu
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.