[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Os for battery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 20160310_235334-1.jpg (446 KB, 1879x1755) Image search: [Google]
20160310_235334-1.jpg
446 KB, 1879x1755
Just fixed this dead 2 in one convertible with a bay trail atom, 2gb ram, and a 64GB ssd.
It's touch screen too, since it's convertible.

I want to use it for uni, note taking and such, should I stick with windows 8.1, upgrade to 10, or install Linux?
I'm leaning towards Fedora with a lightweight de like mate, but battery life is important to me.

Any advice?

Pic related.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>53411323
Another option I was considering was Ubuntu because unity on a touch screen looks pretty nice
>>
Stick with win8.1
linux support for baytrail is fucking shit
>>
>>53411357
Damn, i heard Linux was still a wip for these but people stopped talking about it in early 2015 so I was hopeful.

8.1 or 10 for best battery life?

I don't care about botnet, Microsoft can have my study notes if they want.
>>
>>53411394
10 might be a bit better for the battery, but it's also buggy and has the botnet.
>>
>>53411411
Buggy would be a serious issue, botnet not so much so.

A bit of googling reveals 10 to be a little better, but not by much. I'll stick to 8.1
>>
>>53411464
I am using 10 on a dell tablet.
Bugs:
- wireless toggles don't work in the side bar
- wireless driver randomly crashes and has to be restarted in the device manager
- rebooting does not work, the UEFI just gets stuck for some reason
>>
>>53411497
Yeah fuck that.
The OS it shipped with is the most stable so I'll stick with that
>>
Hello fellow t100fag. Ubuntu worked beautifully on my asus t100ta. My first Linux machine and its not very difficult to setup, look up t100 magic stick. I later fell for the arch meme. It's fucking headache. Don't upgrade to winbot 10, I switched to Linux cuz I hated it so much. It's a great machine if youre a uni poorfag. Since I live in third world shithole with frequent powetcuts, I need the boost to battery life that arch gives to the machine.
>>
>>53411541
How is Ubuntu battery life compared to windows?
Performance?
Bugs?
>>
>>53411464
Try w10. If it works ok stick with it. other wise go to 8.1
There is no point in sticking with 8.1 if everything works ok with w10.
>>
>>53411323
Stick with 8.1. Loonix on bay trail works like shit right now. 10 is a RAM hog and abuses your disk. 7 is too old.
>>
>>53411497
I have the same first two problems. But wifi was bit problematic on 8.1 as well.
Rebooting works fine for me.
>>
Windows 10

Linux is just a dank meme.

I actually like the Botnet.
>>
>>53411541
>fell for the arch meme
Yeah it's not a meme, and it's definitely not our fault you're a fucking idiot
>>
Thoughts about win8 embedded? It's supposed to be like the normal version, but without the "apps" bullshit
>>
>>53411558
Ubuntu battery life is better than windows 8. In the beginning, it keeps sleeping on you but after you turn off the suspend in the power options, that's no longer an issue. Webcam doesn't work in Ubuntu. The best thing to do is to download the asus t100 magic stick from the t100 Ubuntu community in which you can do a live boot and check whether you like before you like it or not before installing through the very same love session. What you have to do is turn off secure boot in the uefi settings and boost into Ubuntu live session and give it a spin before deciding whether you want to become a lincuck or not.
>>
>>53411323
Wipe it and install Windows 10 LTSB version.
>>
>>53411622
I don't regret falling for the arch meme though, better than fucking unity. Unity can suck my dick. Arch works very efficiently and maximizes my battery life while taking minimal space on my measly 64 gb ssd. It's just that I decided to do the good old pacman -syu and next thing I know the x server is fucked. Had to do a fresh install cuz it gave me indication of what was fucked. Other than that fucking love it. What other distro gets a total loonix n00b like me totallly familiar with the nitty gritty of bash and the inner working of loonix?
>>
>>53411718
Unity is a DE while Arch is a distro.
>>
>>53411794
Yes you fucking genius! You're goddamn right. Unity is native in Ubuntu you dumb nitpicking goatfucker. Can't you figure that out? That I mean to say I hate unity, the native DE of Ubuntu.
>>
>>53412235
Are you retarded? You can install any DE or WM on ubuntu too.
>>
>>53412254
Yes you can. Your grasp on the obvious amazes me desu.
>>
>>53411357
Linux support for Baytrail is OK, but you need a recent kernel. It was fucking shit on 3.14-16, and anything older flat out refused to boot but now I'm using Fedora 23 as my daily driver in one of those (4GB RAM though) and it works perfectly.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.