[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Loonix you ess bee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: 20160309_191138_HDR-1.jpg (260 KB, 2579x829) Image search: [Google]
20160309_191138_HDR-1.jpg
260 KB, 2579x829
Why are Linux USB drivers so much better?

I'm getting a solid extra 10-15MB/s on my external hard drive on Fedora as opposed to either windows 7 or windows 10.

Sorry for no screenshot, laptop has no wifi right now.
>>
File: fedora109.jpg (31 KB, 588x350) Image search: [Google]
fedora109.jpg
31 KB, 588x350
>Fedora

*tips*

Lol LOONIX is so crongeworthy lol.

Ask for genuine Microsoft software.
>>
>>53391180
the files don't have to be uploaded to the botnet first
>>
>>53391232
Based Fedora is bleeding edge and stable you cunt

>>53391225
But I'm using a gui?

>>53391235
Ayy lmao
>>
Small size and combined processors
all text based OS systems are free from services that just sit on idle also text based software doesn't take up space because all of it is in text not pictures and sounds that use ram

this is why freetards still use linux and the like.
pictures and sound make up most of your ram usage.

note windows 7 and above used animated taskbars that hogs ram like a bitch and higher quality sounds.

the only negitive thing about text based systems is most of the installing is manual.
>>
>>53391243
how do you open ports in fedora's firewall?
>>
>>53391243
A G.U.I. IS WHAT PROGRAMERS CALL THE "FRONT END" IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BACKGROUND SYSTEM !

text based systems existed in windows untill windows xp (but not full text based like DOS or linux)
>>
>>53391180
Are you feeling euphoric?
>>
>>53391271
>all text based OS systems are free from services that just sit on idle also text based software doesn't take up space because all of it is in text not pictures and sounds that use ram
Did you just have a stroke, or it's just your kiwi cancer?
>>
>>53391311
>>53391232
Here's your (you)

>>53391287
>>>53391243 (You)
>how do you open ports in fedora's firewall?
Why would you want to do that?
>>
>>53391364
to get them torrents seeding?
muh ftp server?
>>
>>53391323
I get it you don't understand.
how backend proesses work.

then read this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text-based_%28computing%29

I'm just explaining linux but its okay freetard i'm not mad.
Have your text based OS I can't care.
>>
>>53391180
>laptop has no wifi

Congrats on your Linux
>>
File: 20160309_194435.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160309_194435.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>53391375
My torrents seed fine, I limit upload to 100kb/s though because australian internet is shit.
Not sure about ftp though.

>>53391408
No wifi on public transport.
>>
They are not better, they are just generic drivers in the kernel.

The reason Linux as faster at usb it because it's actually worse. Windows forces asyncronous transfer so when the files are copied the user can pull out the usb device (even without selecting safely removing) and all files are there.

On Linux if you do this the files will most likely be corrupt or not even there and worst case the device needs formatting to make it mountable again. Depending on the size of the transfer it can take several minutes to complete.
If you do a big transfer and straight away type "sync" in a terminal it can hang for ages while it really finished pushing the data across, this for years has also been the advice given to people to fix this deficiency.

If you mount the device with async option it will take as long as Windows.
>>
Windows bytes != Linux bytes
>>
>>53391473
>it can take several minutes to complete.
it can take several minutes to *really* complete.
>>
>>53391271
>text based OS are free from systems that just sit on idle

This is the average intelligence of a tripcode user.
>>
>>53391486
>>53391473
That's not true and you know it
>>
>>53391180
And you haven't tried BFQ yet.
>>
>>53391619
I like BBQ
>>
>>53391580
I suffered with it for years and it seems people still hit the issue recently: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=193089

Unless you remove the device straight away you don't even realise the transfer is secretly going on after it tells you it's finished.
>>
>>53391401
>I get it you don't understand.
>how backend proesses work.
I understand you haven't learn to type yet.

>Memory management
This is a bit above your knowledge grade, may be you can go shitpost on one of those speccy/guts threads where you belong.
>>
>>53391708
learnt*
>>
>>53391298
>>53391271
>>53391401
Uhh, thanks for the filter
>>
>>53391676
It's not an issue, filesystem cache is a feature. You are supposed to unmount a filesystem properly.
>>
>>53391737
Which you can do on Windows by default.
>>
>>53391737
I don't think I've unmounted something connected to a USB in all my life.
>>
>>53391750
Then you are the problem
>>
Is op factoring in whether or not Linux is reporting the speed as Mebibytes if not?
>>
>>53391761
Why? I mean, I haven't encountered a single issue.
>>
>>53391737
that more or less answers a different question: when copying a few gb of data to a usb-conected drive, the first 500 or so mb just get "finished" in an instant, but then it's stuck there for minutes. it's an issue because the information the system gives the user is just wrong. the same people are probably responsible for the "minor" bug, that btrfs can't correctly report the remaining free space.
>>
>>53391786
Are you implying that Windows doesn't cache fs writes and reports accurate write speeds? Because that's wrong too. The caching behavior is just different but I can see my usb storage blinking way after the copy "finished".
>>
>>53391810
let me just check how bad it is on windows, but if my memory serves me right, it's not so obviously wrong by 500mb. also, caching for internal drives actually makes sense, tough(zfs caches like fuck, for example)
>>
>>53391878
caching for removable USB is also sane, otherwise many of them are really slow, it makes sense to bulk write many small files. Also Linux doesn't cache 500mb for a single drive, that's just insane. But I think that the default caching behavior can be set as some udev rule for removable drives, so it can vary for different distros. Then again, you are supposed to remove your mounted drives safely, it's true for Windows too.
>>
>>53391287
firewall-cmd --add-port=22/tcp --permanent

firewall-cmd --reload
>>
>>53391912
ok, blinking stopped on the spot. I'm not sure what distro that was, probably ubuntu or fedora. and no, caching for things that can be removed in withing two seconds after a transfer was reported finished by the user interface shouldn't cache(which happens very often)
>>
>>53391942
nice
so much ez-er than using a gui made for plebs and homos
>>
>>53391956
no, you are supposed to safely remove drives, then all pending writes finish. Windows caching is tuned for idiots, it's not that performant, but it protects agains idiots who yank out their drives right after finishing a transfer. Linux don't make such assumptions.
>>
>>53391976
you just described the bug very clearly. when writing end-user software, always assume that the end-user is batshit crazy, otherwise you aren't doing your job correctly.
>>
>>53391976
and why do you need high performance on usb drives that are obviously put in by the end user at run-time? usb-drives have such a high failure rate, that using them for working on important data-sets is even worse than pulling out a stick without unmounting it first.
>>
>>53391993
>when writing end-user software, always assume that the end-user is batshit crazy
That's the Windows attitude. Linux software typically doesn't do that. Otherwise it's not a Linux problem, it's a UI problem. Any copying software (file managers) can call the "sync()" syscall after a write. Maybe some file managers do exactly that.
>>
>>53392009
>usb-drives have such a high failure rate
depends, I expect low failure rates for am external usb hdd. The OS can't really decide if it's a flash drive or hdd or what is its failure rate.
>>
>>53392019
linux is obviously not made for end-users. I use linux for many reasons, but many core decisions just suck. I could rant about both systems tough.
>>
>>53392030
I quite certain that it is possible to determine that in most cases. one hint is, that smartctl works on most external hdds
>>
>>53392045
>but many core decisions just suck
Default behavior is many times configurable and entirely dependent on the distro. Yeah, many distros just use the upstream defaults and they suck.
>>
>>53392054
Now the OS makes decisions based on poor sources. smart is shit for many hdds and there are reliably flash drives nowadays. Also I doubt Windows tunes its caching behavior based on stuff like this.
>>
You snooze you lose
>>
>>53391473
>forces asyncronous transfer so when the files are copied the user can pull out the usb device (even without selecting safely removing) and all files are there.

you shouldn't lie on the internet.
we know who you are and we have your ip address.
>>
>>53391424
>/g/ is aussie shitposters
RIP /g/
>>
IS there an actual difference OP?

I never noticed.non sarcasm here
>>
>>53391180
>Why are Linux USB drivers so much better?
but they aren't
just take out usb at 100% mark
>>
>>53396142
Linux has faster usb and sata speeds than windows
>>
>>53391364
*tips*
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.