[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't Western schools teach programming on paper anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1454018966205.jpg (89 KB, 600x898) Image search: [Google]
1454018966205.jpg
89 KB, 600x898
Why don't Western schools teach programming on paper anymore?

Why must everything be done on a computer?

Doesn't it
>>
Because we actually have computer
>>
File: 11593.jpg (79 KB, 770x513) Image search: [Google]
11593.jpg
79 KB, 770x513
>>53321456
Because we stand on the shoulders of the people that lived before us

Like I don't have to know every component that stands between me and shitposting, same goes with programming

The end justifies the means I guess
>>
>>53321456
>Why don't Western schools teach programming on paper anymore?

At my university the theoretical exams are still very much paper.
>>
Still using paper, m8
>>
Because believe it or not we can actually afford computers
>>
>>53321456
I have had to take exams on paper for every CS class I've taken.
>>
>Why must everything be done on a computer?

Because we want students to turn in correct solutions to problems, and if their solutions are not tested, they cannot be verified to be correct. This is especially true if the problem involves parallel/concurrent programming.

Because we want students to turn in optimal solutions to problems, and sometimes that involves more than just getting better computational complexity.

Because you wouldn't teach a security class without students working with real shellcode.

Because you wouldn't teach a machine learning class without students actually implementing machine learning algorithms on real datasets and evaluating the performance of those.

Because you can't teach computer graphics if you can't see your output.

Because in the real world, you're going to be writing and running code on a computer.

Now riddle me this, OP: What would be the advantage of doing things on paper?
>>
>>53321456
In EPFL (imagine its the same in ETH) you have programming exam where you program on paper
its fucking awful
>>
>>53321456
>Why don't Western schools teach programming on paper anymore?
Last time I checked, here in Germany all exams are done on paper.
>>
>>53322624
>easily do all exercises
>ace assignment
>fail paper test
>redo, pass with 2.7
>meanwhile the cram monkeys who just memorize everything but can't do anything by themselves pass with flying colors

Paper tests are a REALLY FUCKING GREAT way to test someone's actual programming skills
>>
Paper is not needful.
>>
>>53321456
>Daily designated thread
>>
>>53321456
Mine does, but mostly teaches and introduces us to code via the IDE.
But we must write it out on paper on tests.
>>
>projects that teach us programming
>exams that tests our understanding of theory
i thought this was standard
>>
>>53323655
>Paper tests are a REALLY FUCKING GREAT way to test someone's paper test skills
ftfw
>>
All my exams were on paper. Stop going to a shit university.
>>
>>53321591
lmao what 3rd world country do you live in that still cant afford school computers
>>
>>53321456
my father learned programming on paper because all they had was a handful of large computers. There is no need for that now.
>>
>>53321456
Paper kills trees
>>
>>53321456
why dont western universities have designated shitting streets?

how can we promote equitability and diversity if everyone is trapped in a tiny box pooing in a loo all day?
>>
>>53323655
You should know the language and concepts without googling. This is the purpose of a paper test.
>>
why do non-whites fetishize European traits?
>>
>>53324857
Not the same guy but my cs class has 200+ kids. They don't have a room with 200+ computers.
>>
>Why must everything be done on a computer.

Because you're going to be fucking programming on a computer? Go back to your poor house pajeet, careful not to step in the shit in the streets. :^)
>>
File: cAZeYe6.jpg (97 KB, 484x593) Image search: [Google]
cAZeYe6.jpg
97 KB, 484x593
>tfw no indian girlfriend who will cook chicken curry for you

why live?
>>
>>53321456

When you think about it learning to program on paper is great if you are prepping for a job interview

In real-world practice, however, it doesn't prep you for real world programming - where you gotta know how to use all your available resources to research and implement the best solution in the least amount of time.
>>
>>53327455
hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>53321456
The college board AP exam requires you to code 100% on paper.
>>
>>53328794
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>Everyone talking about paper exams
Your assignments are all on computer, and for good reason. Most Computer Science midterms and finals are more focused on the theory, and rarely involve coding.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.