[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of Fedora Linux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: 267px-Fedora_logo.svg.png (13 KB, 267x267) Image search: [Google]
267px-Fedora_logo.svg.png
13 KB, 267x267
What does /g/ think of Fedora Linux?
>>
I have it on my t500 memepad with plasma as my DE.
Shit is slow and has graphical issues that were not present on Arch or Mint.
>>
>>53114262
> t500
> plasma
> slow
found your problem(s), anon

use some non-shit hardware and a non-shit de
>>
Its a great distro.
>>
>>53114109
I used it for a while but I don't like GNOME and fedora spins have problems. And for some reason it used 1368x768 on my screen while the supported mode my screen had was 1366x768. So I dropped it.

I still think it's okay though, it's just not for me. I want to create my own environment. So instead of going for their minimum version I chose Arch.

In short, if you are into stable distro with a nice DE set up for you it's good and you can find rpm of everything. But if you want to set things up yourself, it's not that great at all.
>>
>>53114109
I think it's great. Used Debian/Ubuntu for a while and wanted a change. Still am not quite comfy with my Linux knowledge to go with arch/gentoo
>>
>>53114109
IT JUST WERKS
T

J
U
S
T

W
E
R
K
S
>>
>>53114109
install gentooooooo
>>
>>53114109
I werks well !
>>
>>53114109
Arch is a better systemd/Linux distro.
>>
>>53115173
It*
>>
>>53114109
Basically Red Hat desktop edition. It's alright.
>>
>>53114262
>over 5 year old hardware
>KDE Plasma 5
>surprised that it's slow
This HAS to be bait...
>>
>>53115086
>landwhale.jpg
>>
>>53114109
fedora is shit
>>
>>53115028
Arch really isn't that hard
Try it out on a vm or another hard drive and you'll see
>>
>>53114109
Might as well use Arch
>>
I use it for most of my appvms as well as my dom0
>>
debian or fedora for blaze it memepad?
>>
>>53115802
My issue with Arch is that wifi is hell to get working if it doesn't work out of the box.
>>
>>53116056
at least fedora doesn't break with routine updates, and most normal things can be configured without editing a config file
>>
It's ok, I prefer CentOS as it's more stable and less bleeding edge test bed.
>>
I got trouble with my Gentoo, everytime I connect to my router after a while my router just dies. I had to revert back to Arch. Its weird cause Wireshark nor the router's log said anything. Kinda sad cause it was running so good. Loved Gentoo, just had that small problem.
>>
>>53116753
mate that's the botnet
>>
>>53116518
Could i recommend you the arch wiki?
I.e. netctl, wpa_supplicant and usw /etc/netctl/examples/wifi-whatever
>>
>>53118386
oh yeah.
I tried for like a week trying to get it to work, using the wiki and other sources.
>>
>>53114109
a. doesn't aim to be a general desktop distro, just workstation
b. red hat test-bed forces alpha software onto you (early systemd, gnome3, anaconda installer)
c. lots of forbidden items including multimedia, modern crypto & binary drivers
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items
d. rpmfusion can't correct all (crypto & amd binary drivers), is insecure and badly maintained
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3313
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3023
e. breakage due to following latest stable kernel instead of backporting while otherwise not allowing major updates
f. strict packaging rules with no bundling except firefox, so no chromium available. did soften them somewhat recently.
g. bad defaults: not keeping old packages, but repos only have latest; workstation has ports open by default; anaconda installer doesn't force a root password and starts sshd at the end; ugly fonts
h. no real user repos like AUR/PPAs: Copr is a ghost town and enforces Fedora's forbidden items
>>
>>53118422
Well strange i did not have any problem. Could you give your netctl config?
>>
no packages
>>
I use it on my T530 with full disk encryption and it's great. I use the KDE spin but I also have a lightweight PekWM environment as a fallback in case Plasma breaks.
>>
>>53118452
Fedora has ~14,000 packages (based on source packages).
that's second only to Debian.
>>
>>53118447
that was years ago that I tried
it might be better now, though, I guess
>>
>>53114109
I'm using the Mate+Compiz+Emerald spin and it's great. It seems like Fedora's the only distro that offers that combo out of the box anymore.
>>
>>53118447
>arch
>claims to use vanilla upstream
>has NIH shit like netctl

>fedora
>is actually upstream (same devs)
>>
>>53114109
It's the gayest distro in the history of ever. Only flaming homosexuals use it.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just a fact.
>>
File: 1374794720619.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1374794720619.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
>>53118704
Wow, with that statement you sound like a real 1337h4XxXor,

hack the planet hack the world my fellow blackhat :D:D:D:D:D
>>
>>53118748
upvoted :^)
>>
>>53114109
Using Fedora with Apricity theme on my laptop for 2 months now, work's pretty well.
But using centOS for my server, seems more reliable.
>>
>>53118886
>seems more reliable.
can you list the cases when fedora wasn't?
>>
>>53118758
>upvote
>using the caret smiley
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>53118899
>what is sarcasm
>>
>>53118898
Not really, it's just that i'm using centOS for 2 years and I'm just more confident with it.
>>
>>53114262
>I have it on my t500 memepad with plasma as my DE.
>Shit is slow and has graphical issues that were not present on Arch or Mint.

I have a t500 also, it's not the hardware, kde is slow as balls even on desktops

but the graphical issues are likely due to both fedora not usually touching packages and keeping package versions as close to when they were locked in as possible resulting in packages not usually receiving these fixes, it's not fedora's problem per-se and this type of setup lends itself to being very stable usually, but it's not for everyone; usually the spins (even kde) are far less polished than gnome though
>>
>>53114109
It's pretty good, i can see why it's Linus Torvalds desktop of choice.
>>
>>53119044
Actually the graphical issues are due to KWin exposing bugs in the kernel and X parts of the Intel graphics stack. It's a known problem that should be fixed by Fedora 24.
>>
I hate it.
>>
>>53119044
>kde is slow as balls even on desktops
kill yourself, my man :)
>>
>>53114109
>>systemd

nope
>>
>>53114109
literally shit.
>>
>>53119066
appeal to authority isn't very helpful, especially Torvalds which never even tried Debian because the installer didn't support his hardware.
>>
>>53119105
>Actually the graphical issues are due to KWin exposing bugs in the kernel and X parts of the Intel graphics stack. It's a known problem that should be fixed by Fedora 24.

I can't say about the graphical problems the person I was replying to was experiencing, but I do know I've had a lot more graphical problems on fedora 23 kde than I usually do and I've already disabled some kwin stuff (because multi-monitor detection is absolutely broken and always has been) and am not running intel graphics

>>53119332
>>kde is slow as balls even on desktops
>kill yourself, my man :)

been using kde on and off for years since it's my preferred full de experience but to say that it isn't slow as shit is to do a disservice to kde by enforcing the idea that bloat is good
>>
File: photo.jpg (22 KB, 366x366) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
22 KB, 366x366
>>53114109
since he's using it , we all have to use it
>>
>>53119881
Why would you use KDE on Fedora? You do realize the KDE package mantainer recently quit because of how shitty KDE integration with Fedora is, right?

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2015-October/016315.html

This is like buying a ferrari and giving it a rustoleum paint job.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.