[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MacBook or Not, and Skylake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 15
File: macbook-100574906-primary.idge.jpg (92 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
macbook-100574906-primary.idge.jpg
92 KB, 620x413
I hope to start a compsci degree soon and I was wondering whether I should upgrade to a Macbook, or wait for the Sklylake Macbooks, OR just stick with my windows 10 asus which cost around £400 a couple years ago.
>>
>compsci
>mac

No. Just... no.

Install gentoo.
>>
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac
>>
>>52996423
why? seems all cs students use mac
>>
>>52996442
and most cs students switch majors
>>
>>52996326
DO NOT GET A MAC. I bought it and regret it. I'm selling it now.
>>
>>52996442
That's because most of them are hipster kids who want to become Web developers and grab the first major that says "computer" in the title.

Computer science is literally just a math class anyways. No point in wasting 1,000 dollars on a weak machine.
>>
Macbook Air as a terminal, OpenBSD at your house.
>>
>>52996580
>macbook air
>not c720
>>
File: 1453903910190.jpg (65 KB, 704x368) Image search: [Google]
1453903910190.jpg
65 KB, 704x368
>>52996326
>eat shit from my hands, or not
>>
File: 1455522501406.jpg (108 KB, 968x351) Image search: [Google]
1455522501406.jpg
108 KB, 968x351
>>52996326
>asus which cost around £400 a couple years ago.

Probably still faster than the latest $3000 shitbook desu senpai.
>>
>>52996480
I'm almost there too
>>
>>52996326
if you do get one get the 13inch retina MacBook Pro, currently its the only one i'd say is worth getting, the 15inch has issues with overheating and throttling, and the air and the new macbook are both horribly overpriced for what they offer, though they are pretty devices.

13inch macbook pros seem to be the only group that equal or better their competition in price:performance
>>
>Wanting to do CS
>Buying a underpowered and overpriced literal facebook machine

Nigga Wat
>>
>>52996326
if money isn't an issue you might aswell get the macbook. despite what everyone seems to think here they're actually a solid choice.
Personally I really enjoyed working with OSX.. at least way more than with windows7.
A macbook will also also last you quite some time, while a lot of other cheap ass notebooks will just die on you after 2 years.
Getting some shit to run on OSX might be annoying, but way less than say linux.
If you want most of the programs you will work with in classes to run out of the box go with the win laptop.
>>
>>52996819
>13"
>same parts as 15"
>in an even more cramped case
>not overheating and throttling

niceme.me
>>
>>52996850
I use a 13inch macbook pro for school, best notebook i've owned by far.

I used to loathe OSX but after a month or so it seems to be the best option for a notebook, at least imo. All the gestures and what not for the trackpad seem to be real helpful. You /could/ assign gestures and stuff in linux but its a pain.

I use arch for my desktop and OS X for my laptop and its a great combo.
>>
>>52996850
>800mhz facebook machines
>solid device
>>
>>52996885
except for it has different parts, and it doesn't have a dedicated gpu.

Only the 15inch throttles because it /should/ be faster, only it cools like arse so actually isn't faster.

>>52996903
13inch doesn't throttle, or at least hasn't done so for me thus far even with thrashing it.
>>
>>52996831
>let's buy a used thinkpad instead, with 1st or 2nd generation intel i proccessor, 1280x1024 tf lcd screen and one and half hour of battery
>>
>>52996831
because you need a trillion niggahertz and at least 64 nigs of ram to do even simple compsci homework...
>>
>>52996756
/thread
>>
>>52996831
>underpowered
Do you want to run a entire render-farm workload in you laptop?
>>
File: 1455171024912.jpg (145 KB, 641x784) Image search: [Google]
1455171024912.jpg
145 KB, 641x784
>>52996921
>mactoddler unironically comparing shitbook battery life to thinkpads

lmao
>>
>>52996955
>sources of the image: my arse and armpits
>>
File: main-2-23.png (86 KB, 620x475) Image search: [Google]
main-2-23.png
86 KB, 620x475
If your ASUS works, stick with it.

A big problem with PCs is inconsistent quality. It feels like a gamble whenever you buy one. Even if it has l337 specs, it may be built like crap.

Back in 2012, I weighed all my options and decided I could get the best value out of an Asus Zenbook. The specs were great, and it was beautiful while it lasted, but within 1 year, some screws became loose and fell out. And within 2 years, random keys stopped working periodically. Now, the touchpad jumps and all the keys that had trouble before have stopped working entirely.

Every PC laptop I've bought has had weird random shit like that happen to it within only a year or two. Charger stops working, touchpad stops working, power goes out of it randomly, screen grows dimmer. From what I've seen with Macs, that isn't the case, and they still work well and sell for good money 4 years later.

Apple has consistently shown to be an innovative, quality-focused, trend-setting company and I've given up my hatred of them even if they do tend to be overpriced. They're the only computer company that consistently gets things right, and to me that's worth something.

Plus, no one should ever have to deal with double control panels.
>>
>tfw have to use VMs at school to manage cisco routers and switches.
>the school computers are slow as all fuck
>buy a usb to serial and usb to ethernet adapter
>run VMs remotely from my pc at home, using my macbook and the adapters to connect to the switches and routers
>run VMs many times faster, albeit with increased latency (1-200ms response time vs 20-30 minute imports, its worth the latency)
>in servers class (all VMs no routers) finish prac in 1/10th the time everyone else does.

Macbook pro solid purchase :^) I look smart in front of all the cute boys, and stylish while doing it.
>>
>>52997003
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>52996326
You should rather do a degree in Mathematics. CompSci is shit.
>>
>>52997003
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>52996850
>>52996903
okay here's a real user experience, since most people bashing macs have probably never worked with one...

They're _really_ solid built.
The displays are fucking great, switching back to my old 1080p monitor felt like getting eye cancer.
*nix os, great for programming and customizing your workflows/space
Excellent virtual desktops, great gesture control (I was amazed at how much this increased productivity)
Great OS overall (imo)

con: even simple apps and programs cost money, the price in general, less customizable than linux

you can get nearly the same experience with a linux machine if you're willing to put in the effort. Except you'll not find any laptops that come even close to build quality compare to macbooks.
>>
>>52997022
to be fair OSX is my favourite OS to use on notebooks now, at least, the wm/de is absolutely great for trackpad and kb only use. very efficient once you get used to the workflow.

Shit was cheap with student grants and its got a battery that lasts longer than my work day + my school day, nice screen, acceptable keyboard, exemplary trackpad. Can play dota 2 at acceptable fps if I go to a friends.

The best part is still the lustful glances from qts tho
>>
>>52997001
>From what I've seen with Macs, that isn't the case

Shitty bait.
>>
do it OP
t. first year CompSci
>>
>>52997026
nice meme
>>
File: 1455537405624.jpg (438 KB, 3264x1952) Image search: [Google]
1455537405624.jpg
438 KB, 3264x1952
>>52997054
>macshit
>solid built

RAJEESH
A
J
E
E
S
H
>>
>>52997054
>Excellent virtual desktops, great gesture control (I was amazed at how much this increased productivity)

I thought gesture control was a meme until I got my macbook, good heavens using any other portable device is like getting aids now. I find it very unlikely you could get as nice a gesture control on OSX even on linux, perhaps you can match the gestures to their respective commands, but id be willing to bet it won't feel as smooth
>>
>>52997071
Tell me about your bad experience.
>>
>>52997001

this senpai. reliability is #1 reason i won't go back
>>
>>52997085
Except it is not. CompSci in most schools just consists of some basic stuff which is not really complicated and can easily be learned by reading.

If you really want to accomplish something in research or value your own life, you should stick to mathematics.
>>
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15". In 2013 just as the one year warranty was about to expire, I noticed about 2 dead pixels. I brought it in and they told me the only way to fix it was to replace the whole upper section (screen, glass, etc.) at a cost of $699 CDN plus tax. I managed to fight my way into getting them to replace it for free. (It was NOT easy.)

Now it's 2015 and I have a huge cluster of hundreds of tiny dead pixels that go down in a wave in the middle of my screen that is mostly noticeable on darker screens. I have treated this computer with INCREDIBLE care. It rarely leaves the house and when it does it's padded like you wouldn't believe. So it being mistreated is not the issue here. It only ever sits on my desk.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that I will be forced to pay for this. But before my Genius bar appointment, I was wondering has anyone had the same issue? If so what was your fix or solution?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 15" Screen
>>
>>52997089
looks like someone dropped his macbooks on concrete... from the second floor.
your precious plastic laptop wouldn't even survive falling from your desk, and dont even try to deny it.
>>
>>52996423
>the gentoo computer
when?
>>
My keys are messed up and I can't figure out how to fix it. Keys 2-6 all type random symbols after them. Ex: "6" comes out as "6=". On top of that my volume up button turns my volume up and then types "1" in text boxes if I'm in one.

I have searched keyboard settings, run scans, and restarted my Mac in Safe Mode.

No advice is too obvious. Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)
>>
>>52997125
Do you keep it in your backpack? That may be from pressure.

I stepped on my laptop at night one time, and it created a long line of dead pixels that I can really only notice on dark backgrounds.
>>
File: 1432856526521.png (60 KB, 997x195) Image search: [Google]
1432856526521.png
60 KB, 997x195
>>52996441
MegaKek
>>
The SSD in my Late 2013 13" Retina MBP has failed, leaving me with a very pretty and completely useless lump of aluminium.

The genius bar appointment confirmed the failure saying that this was obviously a faulty component but that my only option was an Apple Service / Repair costing £526 + VAT.

Has anyone else encountered a failure of this type in the same model of MBP ?
Could this be a general issue with the SSD components used in this edition of the MBP similar to the MB Air issue?

I'm obviously gutted by the failure and the lack of options and cost of repair on this occasion adds insult to injury.

Apple has just lost a long term MBP owner / customer.

Stephen ...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), null
>>
I have a Macbook Pro from late 2010.
When It is charging and i touch the edges (wich are impossible not to touch), I get seriously ******* (sorry for my language, but I'm ******) electrocuted. I even have some scars. Any help? I always have it plugged in a plug extension and it happens even if It is plugged directly in a wall outlet.
Any help?
>>
so my macbook pro mid 2014 laptop is out of warranty. a few weeks ago my trackpad wouldn't push down and click so i searched on google and everything came up with battery swelling being the culprit. i set aside my laptop for 4 days and didn't use it till i could take it in for service. the swelling went down but the top half of the trackpad still wouldn't press down and click although i can drag and drop/select items and it still works but it simply doesn't press down and click. i live in jeddah, saudi arabia where we don't have original apple stores but i was able to find affiliates and took my laptop to one. the guy said the battery wasn't the issue (???) but that i needed my whole "top case" replaced and it would cost me around 1200 to 1500 riyals (!!!) that's 320 to 400 dollars. i asked him if only i need my track-pad replaced so replace just that and was like no no you need to replace the whole top case. what i want to ask is the macbook pro mid 2014's ONLY trackpad replaceable and how much does it usually cost? and should i replace the battery as well as it might swell up again? because i think it definitely did swell because my my trackpad would press down at all a few weeks ago and now only the bottom half does. thank you!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)
>>
>>52997119
CompSci is a lot easier than most people think, true dat.

However with a maths degree you'll either end up with some finance related job (if you're into earning load of money u kno), research or you'll compete with compsci majors for the same jobs.
>>
My MacBook pro is going on 4 years old and works fine. if any electronic device lasts me nearly that long I'd say it was a damn goos purchase regardless of whether it was $1000
>>
Hello guys,

For about a week now I am coming across this issue every time I wake my Macbook Pro (9.2) from sleep: open the lid, and it reboots instead of just waking up from sleep. However, this only happens after a sleep time of more than aprox. 30-40 minutes.

Has anyone come across this issue?

Recently I had switched for a Samsung SSD from my old 750gb HDD that came with the mac. Could this be the problem (it did this reboot thing before but only after unplugging the mag safe connector)?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)
>>
Macbook OP. Don't listen to the retarded poor fags in this thread. Macs are actually amazing for CS majors and you don't look like an autistic retard like most shitpad users are.
>>
Hi all,

I am having a massive problem with my MBP. For the last few weeks it fails to shut down on its own and I have to force the shut down. I know that this isn't good for the computer so I'm hoping somebody on here has the answer.

I read that often it is anti-virus software that causes the problem. I had Avira installed which I have now completely uninstalled, but this has not made a difference.

I'm using a 2014, 15" Retina Display, 2.5GHz Intel i7 MBP. OSX El Capitan v 10.11.1 Installed. I've tried to run an update, but my computer also insists on not restarting to the update goes nowhere.

Any suggestions appreciated as I'm about to return to studies via distance education so the MBP will be getting a serious workout.

Thanks

Steve
>>
>>52997208
>>52997195
>>52997181
>>52997227
>>52997152
>>52997125
Man finds lots of posts about errors with consumer electronics on boards dedicated to support for said consumer electronics.

In other news, water is wet.
>>
File: 1.jpg (98 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
98 KB, 1200x900
I am experiencing really bad screen flickering after el capitan update. This was not there in Yosemite.
There are some users who experience similar problem the solution was to disable the hardware accelerators. I have disabled the hardware accelerators in Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. But, I only use safari.
Could anyone please help me. Below is a image from the problem.
1.jpg

Details of my Mac:
OS X El Capitan version 10.11.3
Mac Book pro retain mid 2014.
>>
File: 1454152026801.jpg (415 KB, 1000x710) Image search: [Google]
1454152026801.jpg
415 KB, 1000x710
>>52997250
>when i shill i call it a macbook
>when they break i call them consumer electronics
>>
You won't run that many applications that use a lot of resources.
Your main concern about a laptop is battery life but most universities have sockets for the students, so you don't have to rely on battery.

If you want to buy a macbook because it will make you feel pretty, go ahead but know that it does not make your study easier or harder in any way.
>>
>>52997266
That looks like the GPU has gone bad take it to the store.
>>
My MacBook Pro Retina 13" Early 2015 Battery has presented today a design capacity lower than 88% with less than 145 cycles...

Apple, are you really controlling the quality of your components or you have relaxed?

Regards,

Diego
>>
Every once in a while, I got this WiFi issue. It is not happening permanently though. There are times when the wifi works normally and there are times where it says 'No hardware installed.' I have read the forums and it says its a hardware or software issues. I don't know how to deal with this and I mainly use this for school work purposes. It really ****** me off when I get that issue and I'm in the middle of working my projects. I own an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13' running Mountain Lion. I have also read that the wifi issue is way back the Lion OS and I have no idea if the same applies to Mountain Lion. I have also a defective Bluetooth, says "Bluetooth: Not Available." And just last month, I send my Macbook Pro to iStore for them to fix the hard drive flex and it is very costly for me. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks.
>>
alright, many confusing opinions here.

So what new laptop DO you recommend, then? This is still decent and working desu, but I really like the shinyness of macbooks and the displays, and the customisability. The interface.

Also to those telling me not to do CS- I already have an arts bachelor's and I'm doing a CS Master's, purely to have CS something on my CV/ for employers, so...
>>
So i was scrolling down on facebook on my late 2013 mbp 15" retina 512gb ssd and 16gb ram..... when it just froze and gave me a black screen ... i turnt the unit off and it hasnt came on since.

I tried to open disk utility through system restore ( commant + r ) and the system disk wasnt present any ideas
>>
My problem is that there are horizontal white lines flickering on and off on my screen whenever I move my cursor, type, or watch a video. This has been a recurring problem with my Macbook Pro Retina for about a year and a half now; I could deal with it up until recently when 2x1 inch boxes of static began flickering on and off as well. The colors of these boxes have been green, pink, grey, and white and are very annoying and hard to ignore. Also, when I'm using a hardware intense video editing program like Final Cut Pro, my Macbook screen will go black and bring up the log in screen. I don't know if there is a loose ribbon cable connecting the screen or if it's a faulty screen in general but would like to know the best course of action for repair or solving this issue.

Specs:
Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Please let me know if I could provide any more info about my machine that would be of assistance.
>>
I travel a lot, and many times there will be a good wifi zone. My macbook pro will recognize it, and even connect to it, but won't function.
I'll log off, delete the connection.....re-connect, and still the same thing.

Then I can go to a coffee shop next door, and the connection will work.

This is location dependent.
I check my security settings, but can't find any check box or setting that controls this.

Other times, I can connect to a wifi zone, but my VPN won't work )usually meaning the wifi connection is weak).

please help.....I am in a coffee shop now with a friend who also has a macbook pro, yet her wifi connection works well.
(the connection to my phone also works well.)
thanks,
>>
>>52996326
Jumping on this thread because despite what apple thinks macs don't need 200 threads on /g/.

What's a good price to pay for a iPad? Brother wants one to make music with. Either way what should I be expecting to pay for an iPad? I literally don't know a thing about iPads, looking around on amazon they are pricier than I thought they would be.

Does apple still brick devices upon OS updates to force upgrades? Will buying an older one be alright for him?
>>
File: 1386870131439.jpg (11 KB, 244x250) Image search: [Google]
1386870131439.jpg
11 KB, 244x250
>>52997283
>being this obsessed with other people's opinions on consumer electronic devices
>>
>>52996326
How can so many students afford £1500 laptops? I remember everyone in my class had one. I use a Lenovo B50 that cost me £150. I can type documents, make charts, even do basic CAD. I'm not against Apple I just don't see why you need one for school.
>>
All Apple Apps (Mail,Safari,Calendar, etc.) do not respond. Over the last week it has been on and off, going to Activity Monitor more and more. Periods where they all don't respond have only grown more annoying and longer. Any help or tips on how to solve this will be very appreciated.

Thank You!

MacBook Pro Running El Capitan
>>
>>52996326
1. not your tech support
2. considering skylake
3. considering a cuckbook
pure bait
>>
>>52997003
be sure to bend over for them
>>
>>52997412
Financial Aid
>>
I was updating the software and when it rebooted it was on the loading screen (after I log in) and then it just shut down. I've tried every trouble shooting tactic I could find online (safe mode included) and it's still not working. On boot-up I can see the grey apple, select my user, enter my password, the grey loader gets to the end, then it shuts down the computer.

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.2.1
>>
hello, i have a macbook pro a1278. i am having a problem on caps lock. my caps lock is on at all the times. i can not off this button manually. but if i push that, then sometime it goes off.
>>
Yes, get the macbook. It's what your old crudgy Unix greybeard of a professor will be using.
>>
I bought a new 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display just before the new year. Now, the wifi does not seem to stay connected. Every minute or two, in order to load a new webpage, I have to toggle wifi off and then back on again. This entire time it says I have stayed connected (I have full bars, in Network preferences it displays the green connection symbol) but when I click on the wifi symbol in the top right it alternates between saying "Wifi: On" and "Wifi: Looking for networks".
>>
My MacBook Pro won't boot up past the grey loading screen; it loads about halfway, the screen flashes, and it turns off. I can't load it into recovery mode either although this is what I'm trying to do and I could do it earlier today. Any ideas??
>>
>>52997464
Still, that's a lot of money though, I'd spend my financial aid on starting a business while at college
>>
For no particular reason, my macbook pro screen will freeze and I get random patterns and colors and the only way I have found to resolve the problems is to close the screen and reopen it with the hope to have my screen back. Sometimes I need repeat this process numerous times. Any ideas as what might be causing this problem and hopefully a solution?
>>
my Mac Book Pro with Retina (2015) is slow and the battery life is less than 5h instead of 10h according to apple

since I have been to apple store to prepare my mac, because it's been crashed and bug, the person has only formatted my mac, however since then my mac it's too slow,
than the second Issue, is regarding the Battery life time, which doesn't exceed 5h, instead of 10h which is advised of up to 10h to 12h.
>>
Macbook is on the startup screen with the progress bar, and then in the middle of it booting up it just shuts down.

Ive had it for 2-3 years. No spills or damage.

MacBook Pro
>>
Does anyone else ever get electric shocks from their macbook? How do you resolve it?
>>
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) intermittent black screen or loss of video Quality Program has ended

How I was supposed to know that my macbook pro has a defect?

Is this the usual procedure when we buy an apple product ?
We should go everyday to apple support to view the forums and pray that the product is ok ?

I upgraded to El Capitan, and the macbook started to crash frequently in a hourly bases, went to Apple support and they told me that there is a defect with this macbook, but I should've complain earlier so they could fix it, now, I have to pay for the repair.

I'm really frustrated by this, because I wouldn't expect this from apple, I always trusted that they take care of customers, and If they sell defect equipment, they would warn the customers.

I have a lot of apple equipment, mine and spread around my family, and now I have to go get the serial numbers of everything, and go search if they are defected, and if I have to take it to apple support for a fixing, because who knows if they have defects and then I don't complain when I should.
>>
I´m having trouble with the keyboard and power button of my MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 Core i5 2.5GHz.
It´s not turning on. The keyboard doesn´t work either. Not even the function keys (Volume, eject, brightness).
The backlit doesn´t illuminate neither the Tab key. Also I can´t type anything.

I´m working with an external Apple USB Keyboard in the meantime. The trackpad works fine but I´m using a USB Mouse because the usb keyboard
gets in the way.

I´ve tried resetting NVRAM twice but it keeps the same. I´ve also tried the SMC reset but since the power button seems to be unresponsive too it doesn´t work either. The only way I can make it boot is to disconnect the battery and after a few seconds, reconnect the battery and the AC adapter and the Mac boots up again. Any ideas how to get this fixed?
>>
>>52997796
>muh chinkpad
>>
The touchpad and the keyboard of my 2015 MacBook Pro 23" Retina will not work. I am running El Capitan. External keyboard and mouse however work fine. The cursor is stuck in the top left part of the screen. The touchpad vibrates but doesn't click anything. I already took it to the Apple Store and they said it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem. I already tried reinstalling the OS and repairing the disk. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)
>>
>>52997822
>muh chinkpad
>>
I have a mid-2014 13'' Macbook Pro Retina.

Over the past few days, I have observed random green spots on the screen that appear from the login screen after I've entered my password and the desktop is loading. This persists randomly all over the screen, and is very persistent while watching videos or photos.

I have done multiple NVRAM resets that haven't helped. Also, black lines appear on Safari. I have uninstalled Chrome since that was suggested on another post, but that hasn't helped. A different profile on the same partition also led to the same problems.

Help!
>>
I recently upgraded my T510 with Toshiba 128Gb SSD to Samsung 500Gb EVO and put the original Toshiba microSATA with its 2.5 caddy in a Dyconn USB storage enclosure. Neither my Laptop or my Desktop will recognize the external SSD. I used the supplied USB 3 cable and also a USB2 cable to no avail.

I had cloned the Samsung SSD from the Toshiba SSD using Apricorn's EZ Gig IV Cloning Software and the supplied USB to 2.5 SATA cable. Could this be the issue? The T510 boots fine and accesses all files... it just won't recognize the USB drive. (It does not install a driver)
>>
File: UDtnLzt.jpg (54 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
UDtnLzt.jpg
54 KB, 675x900
It's hard to describe, but this is what it does when the monitor is closed/in sleep mode for too long. I'm not just talking about a couple hours. I'm talking if I go to work for a five hour shift and come back, it does this, along with the start-up sound. After that, everything becomes fine and I'm able to use my computer as normal. I got my model three years ago, in Feb 2013. Do I have reason to be worried? It only started doing this a couple or so weeks ago.
>>
I have a T420 and when ever I press the power button, the only response I get is the amber "mic mute" light turns on and that's it.

I've tried with and without battery, with and without AC adapter and nothing has changed.

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
Hi everyone,

Currently, my Macbook Pro (early 2011) is experiencing graphic display issues. My screen's is grainy and somewhat pixelated, which makes the color distorted. I resolved this problem once after closing and opening my lid (sleeping and turning it back on), but now that does not help anymore. I also noticed that, in the past, when I restarted or shut-down my computer, it would have random color distortions on the blue screen as well. When I try to take a screenshot of this problem and open the picture on another computer, the picture appears fine, so i'm assuming its an issue with my screen.Also, when I turn on "Automatic graphics switching," my System Profiler information still indicates that my AMD RAdeon HD 6750 is running.

How can I fix this problem? Thank you!
>>
This is now driving me nuts.....ANY help would be much appreciated!Man Frustrated Man Sad

I'll be working away on email or spreadsheets and my HDD temperature (monitored through Active SMART and CPUID HWMonitor) is an even 30 - 40 deg C....when suddenly, my laptop randomly reboots.

**Please lmk specifically what components i need to check and how I would do that?

I've already have done exhaustive GPU Stress Test through Open GL Benchmark

Here's the result from CPUID HWMonitor: CPUID HWMonitor result

Thanks

Jonathan
>>
My return and right shift keys are not working.

I have tried:
Resetting the SMC and NVRAM
Booting through safe mode
Partitioning my disc to see if it would work in the partition
Reinstalling OS X El Capitan v. 10.11.3
Has anyone had the same problem? Everything is working just fine, it is only my return and right shift key. The funny thing is that when I redownloaded my OS X, my enter key worked in the brief moment before reinstallation began. Does anyone know of anything that I can try? I have an appointment at a Genius Bar tomorrow but it's not like that's had great results for me in the past. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display
>>
Hi everyone,

I have a T400 notebook, which i reinstalled using windows 8.1.

the notebook doesn't use battery. it works normally except i can't get a 100% PC load,

i already change the power manager settings to max perfomance, and all bios settings, all the settings that i can change, i set to max power.. however the CPU can never passed 70%..

FYI, I've already installed all the drivers, including powermanager and shortcut keys using windows 7 compatibility settings so there are no rooms for drivers that haven't been installed, including the Graphics Driver also installed using neowin's method of installing legacy intel drivers..

my T500 which i installed Windows 8 behaves the same way.. i don't understant is it Thinkpad with Windows 8 is not compatible?

Does anyone experience the same thing?
what can i do to make it 100% load.. since 70% only clocked the CPU power to 1.6 Ghz from it's potential power 2.26 Ghz and it's also annoying when I processed a wide excel spreadsheets and it took long just to save the file.
>>
Hello,

I got a big Problem with my T420! When i install the Ricoh Driver for the built in card reader it starts to use a permanent 30% of cpu Power. The battery drains in 1.5 h.... normaly it lasts at least 3 h!

If anyone got a solution for this would be great!

It is the newest driver version from the lenovo website and the system is complete updated.
>>
File: drag+error.jpg (86 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
drag+error.jpg
86 KB, 800x500
Hi,

I have these dotted lines dragging along the mouse pointer.

I dont know the exact trigger of the problem. But I have observed this happening when I have my mac connected to an external projector and when I accidentally close the lid. I find this lines dragging with my pointer after I open the lid and login in again.

Restarting my macbook solves the problem.

I request the osx developers to look into this bug. Here are the screen shots...

drag error.jpg

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)
>>
Hello.

I have a new T450s with Windows 10. I hit F4 and the amber light goes on showing the microphone is muted. Problem is that it "looks" muted but it is not. I have also gone in through the software to mute and it lights up the F4 buttton.. However, it doesn't actually mute the microphone. So I can never mute the mic..

Is there a fix for this? I see others have had this problem in the past.

Thank you.
>>
My Macbook Pro (With retina, late 2013) has shut down unexpectedly. Operating under OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. It has never happened before but has done it 3 times today already. It won't turn back on unless I connect it to a power source even though it has been 60-80% charged each time its shut down. It doesn't give me an error when I turn it back on, the only thing noticeably different is that it sets my date and clock back a year. I have ran diagnostics but it is saying no errors found!
>>
Dear sir,

Good Day,

i have X250 with 3 years warranty and i just get this laptop, but the battery is not charging, after the service team in Iraq investagate about this problem they told me that the need new motherboard, and they will check about this, can someone help in this issue?

thanks

wamedh
>>
F7 F8 & F9 keys melted on brand new MacBook Pro (2015) with Retina Display. Why?
>>
I have an I7 X220 that is working but finding startup painfully slow and frequent 100% disc utilisation,

It seems various components seem to hog the disc. I have 8gb of ram so is not short of memory!
>>
Hi,
A couple of days ago my macbook pro (mid 2012 13 inch) became unusably slow. Doing anything, even just clicking on the desktop would give minutes of spinning beach ball.
To troubleshoot I tried the following:
Safe mode: same issues, constant beach ball
Apple Hardware Test (extended testing): no errors found.
Booted into single user mode and repaired disk using fsck: I got “The volume (name) appears to be OK” message

Finally I booted again into mac os x and fired up console to see if I could find something there.
I found one line "localhost kernel[0]: disk0s2: I/O error." around the same time my problems started. Based of this I figured my disk was dying.

After installing a new disk and hooking up the old one externally, I decided to boot of the old one just to see what would happen.
To my dismay it worked flawlessly, smooth as butter and no spinning beach ball.

So I'm guessing it is not the disk which is at fault.
What else could be the problem and how would I go about finding it out.

Thanks,
Alex

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)
>>
So I clean installed Win 8 Pro and then used System Update to install everything including supported Ricoh Media Card driver. Ever since the fans were constantly spinning loud.

Task manager showed System process using 25% of CPU all the time. Process explorer shows the Ricoh driver being responsible for that CPU usage. Uninstalling it indeed fixes the CPU usage issue but now I can't use my SD cards.

Is this known to Lenovo, is there an update pending to the Ricoh driver?
>>
I have a two and a half year old x230. Recently when I listen to music through the built in speakers or earbuds the music pauses for a second and is replaced by a buzzing noise. It's similar to this post:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T420-sound-buzzes-sometimes-when-playing...

I didn't want to try the solution about drivers that was on that post because I noticed it's from 5 years ago and maybe the drivers would be different. If someone could give me a link to the actual drivers I need to download that would be great because I don't know a lot about finding them myself.

I don't think it has to do with my specific laptop model or windows version because a had a friend with a completely different computer (HP running windows 8) that did the exact same thing.

Anyone have a suggestions?
>>
>all these spam replies
wow /g/ is autistic.
>>
I'm running a 2.7 GHz MacBook Pro with 4 GB of memory and a hard drive with 193 GB free of 499 GB. I'm running OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.3. Processing seems to have slowed to a crawl over the last year or so. I find myself waiting, waiting, waiting.
>>
>>52998038
SSD
>>
i got a mac book pro (with retina display) yesterday and today I went to plug my phone in and it vibrates constantly? it goes from being connected to not being connected and it happens in both usb ports..

MacBook Pro with Retina display
>>
Hello,
I am having this issue where the mac won't wake up from sleep ever since I did a fresh install OS X El Capitan 4-5 days ago.
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) with an Apple Cinema Display, a wired Apple Keyboarc and a Magic Mouse.
The computer powers a powered Anker USB 3 hub and the USB connection of the Cinema Display is plugged into the USB hub (via a USB extension).
The USB keyboard is plugged into the back of the Cinema Display and the magic mouse is of course bluetooth.
With Mavericks I used to be able to wake the computer up via either mouse or keyboard but ever since I installed El Capitan neither of those will work. In fact even when I open the display of the dormant MacBook Pro and press a key on the actual computer's keyboard it still won't wake up. In order to turn it on I have to press and hold the power button to first turn it off and then turn it on again.
Can somebody help?
Thanks
>>
Hello all, hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. I currently have a MacBook Pro 13" model that boots to a white screen only. Here's is the scenario: From a cold boot, pressing the power button lights up the Sleep Indicator light, then I hear the normal boot chime. The Sleep Indicator Light then goes out, and the MBP then immediately displays a plain white screen; no Apple logo, no folder with a question mark...nothing. Just plain white. I have attempted SMC Resets, NVRAM resets, have replaced the RAM with known working RAM, and replaced the hard drive with a known working drive. Booting with C, D, R and any combination of these with the Option key produces the same white screen. I have hooked up an external USB drive (which I know works as it booted my Mac Pro 15 minutes ago), and held down the Option key after I pressed the power button, and the same white screen appears...I never see the Startup manager appear giving me an option to boot from the external drive. The power LED light on the external drive blinks 3 times when I press power on the MBP, then glows solid afterward, so I know it is receiving power and I can hear it spinning up. The MacBook Pro seems to charge OK, as the magsafe adapter light glowed orange for the entire time I charged the battery (about 1.5 hours) and then changed to green once the battery indicator lights on the side of the Macbook Pro all turned solid green. The MBP also boots (albeit to the same white screen) when using just the battery. The MBP seems to behave as it should when an SMC Reset is performed (status light on magsafe adapter changes color), and NVRAM resets also seem to have the desired effect, as the MBP will continue to reboot as long as I hold down the proper keys. One odd thing that might be worth mentioning is that in whatever configuration I try, as soon as I press the power button on the MBP, I do not hear the Superdrive spin up, which usually preceeds the boot chime.

I'm at a loss here.
>>
>>52996951
Yes
>>
>>52996326
I got a ThinkPad x220t, great for school. Take all my notes on it with the Wacom digitizer (awesome for notes in math classes), and dual boot it with Linux for a nice programming environment. Maybe the thinkpad style doesn't suit you but I think it's dead sexy. Sure it doesn't have the newest Intel processor, but what the fuck are you going to need that for anyway? Get a desktop if you want to play gaymes.
>>
I have a MacBook Pro OSX, that I bought about 4 years ago. It has worked PERFECTLY for me. Until now. What is happening is at RANDOM times and for RANDOM lengths, a few keys (t,y,u,i,o) will STOP working. It is totally random and there seems to be no pattern to it at all - they simply will work, and the stop, and then work again (as you can see, they are working NOW). I brought it in to the local computer shop (Best Buy) and they did a hardware analysis to see if the keyboard was broken. It came back and said the keyboard was functioning fine. I don't know what to do at this point?? I've read about the battery perhaps swelling up and causing this, but IDK...ANY help would be GREAT!!!!
>>
>>52997136
That's corrosion from the palm sweat.
>>
>>52998223
>>doesn't have newest intel processor
Fag
>>
>>52998270
>wasting money on the newest processors for hello world and fizz buzz tier programs in compsci classes
fag
>>
>>52997089
I don't see a problem with this, it's purely cosmetic damage. Macbooks are actually pretty sound structurally. Can't count the number of shittily built windows laptops I've had that have had bezels fall apart, casing unglue, or screws snap.
>>
>>52998830
Last lenovo laptop I had the screen ribbon came detached on its own, would only work in certain angles.
>>
Hello guys,
I have a problem with my Macbook pro (late 2011).
The Mac won´t start if the Charger isn´t plugged (the mac start automatically after i plugged the charge in, the Power button doesn´t have a effect)
and the mac doesn´t recognize the battery it say : no battery available

I have changed the battery but it doesn´t seem to be a battery problem i think theres is something wrong with the mainboard, but i need to be sure i need my mac for school and can´t just bring it to the repair for two weeks

so is there a way that i can be sure it´s a mainboard problem (and wich) or something else
>>
Every now then then this glitch come up on my screen as my mac crashes and restarts, sometimes it randomly happens when my macbook is stationary and when i move my macbook. Also the macbook randomly freezes and restarts, and sometimes when I close the lid of my mac and then go to open it later the mac in unresponsive meaning that I have to force a shut down and reboot. I've tried reseting the SMC and the NVRAM, I have 3rd party RAM in my mac but its been there for a about 5 months and this is a recent issues that came up about 2 - 3 weeks ago, I've also just recently installed El Capitan at the beginning of January. Im a producer, DJ and Student and I need a stable macbook in order to do work, So any advice is appreciated.
>>
What the fuck is going on here?
>>
Hello,
I am typing this message from my iPhone because the wifi on my macbook is too slow to use. I initially thought it was something wrong with the wifi (it is slow sometimes) but after a month or so of not being able to use the internet properly i investigated just to discover that wifi works great for all devices except my macbook. I tested to bring my laptop to the office and to a friend's place and the results were the same - wifi is great on all devices except my laptop.

I read online that this can happen if the memory is full however i have over 100GB of free space. I also read that it could have something to do with the new operating system. I can’t remember when i upgraded and i don’t know exactly when the problems started so i don’t know for sure but the timing of these events is likely to be linked. I tried both Safari and Chrome and it is equally slow.

I read something about clicking on the wifi icon while pressing “alt” to get access to more information about the wifi activity. I have attached the photo of my results however i am not able to understand what it means.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my laptop?
I am getting desperate, i cannot do my work!!

I should also mention that sometimes the wifi works like normal for a few seconds, sometimes up to a few minutes, then it goes back to being ridiculously slow again.

Below are the details for my laptop.
>>
>>52996955
source on the image? Just curious
>>
>>52999077
some dumb forced meme
>>
>>52999971
this

never fall for the memebook
>>
Why is this whole thread just copy pasta?
>>
>>52997136
I used to fell asleep using the laptop in bed, during the sleep it would get thrown from above the blankets to any place across the room (hard floor). Many times have I woken up and picked the laptop (in sleep mode) from the floor pressed space and voila, not even a scuff on the body.
And this on a crappy 2010(?) snsv plastic machine.
Get fucked with your bendable alu6061 crap.
>>
>>52996326
If you're still in the thread OP, I did all the coursework for my CS degree on a Macbook Pro, and found it much more capable than my classmates found their Windows laptop. Incidentally, most of my professors were also using Apple hardware. A Windows laptop running Linux is probably an equally good choice, but the MBP will beat it on battery life, plus you can use Word or Pages for writing reports without having to mess with any emulation layers.
>>
File: 1344461241964.png (115 KB, 600x1076) Image search: [Google]
1344461241964.png
115 KB, 600x1076
>>52999077
Daily dose of idiocy from people who've never used Apple hardware but have hundreds of saved images on their Thinkpad to tell you why it's a bad idea
>>
>>52997672
Electric shocks! I love them. With you, dozen a day
>>
>>53001811

this senpai, this right here
>>
File: 1427879198880.png (875 KB, 835x1080) Image search: [Google]
1427879198880.png
875 KB, 835x1080
>>53001829

Have used Macs and Apple stuff extensively and I can conclusively conclude, based on my expert opinion and over 10 years of experience that Macs are gay and you should feel ashamed.

>>52996326

Get a marvellous Thinkpad OP.
>>
>>53001811
>macshit
>battery life

Pick one.

http://laptops.specout.com/saved_search/Laptops-with-Longest-Battery-Life
>>
>>52996442
I made my way through all four years on a $400 acer, but if I had the money I would bought a second hand or refurb mbp. Having a stable unix style environment with good battery life is perfect for CS. Windows makes a godawful programming environment and Linux distros WILL fuck up on you at the worst possible moment.

I wish I had the clarity back then that I have now. OSX is literally the best environment for programming and nothing can touch a macbook in the power to battery life ratio. /g/ will cry otherwise, but I'd wager that 90% of them have never used a mac for anything beyond shitposting.
>>
>>53003098
Where do they come up with those numbers?

actual review...
The XPS 13 provides a small but insignificant increase in battery life over its immediate predecessor. On the Laptop Mag Battery Test (continuous surfing over Wi-Fi at 100 nits), the quad-HD XPS 13 lasted 8 hours and 8 minutes. That's a 44-minute increase from the early-2015 model, which featured a similar configuration.

MORE: Laptops with the Longest Battery Life

When compared to competing systems, the battery life of Lenovo's Yoga 900 was about the same, at 7:57, but the nontouch version of this year's XPS (11:42), the 13-inch MacBook Air (14:00) and the Surface Book (12:29) all had significantly longer runtimes.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-xps-13-2015
>>
Macfags.
Comp soft eng student here, I have had linux on some old asus laptop since i started. I havent really needed anything more since and im about to finish.
>>
>>53003078
>Chinkpad

lol. They haven't made a good thinkpad since the t60 series
>>
File: dead_meme_number_17.jpg (38 KB, 562x437) Image search: [Google]
dead_meme_number_17.jpg
38 KB, 562x437
>>52996756
That's fucking atrocious
>>
>>52996756
Sounds like they forgot to install drivers for windows. I've had better performance than that in parallels. They just fucked up.
>>
>>52996326
You're a massive tool, OP.
>>
>>53003303
What the fuck are you talking about, Linux makes a wonderful development environment.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.