[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ANTIVIRUS OFFICIAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4
File: best-anti-virus.jpg (105 KB, 1128x720) Image search: [Google]
best-anti-virus.jpg
105 KB, 1128x720
This thread will be called /av.

ref: virustotaldotcom or w.e sites are good
>>
What does /g/ think about McAfee?
>>
>antivirus
COMMON SENSE 2016 EXTREME EDITION
>>
>>52607978
Invasive, adware. There was a time when it was literally considered malware.
>>
>>52607992
I tried googling that. I could not find. Is this some kind of software that you can't find on google?
>>
Why did all free antivir disable windows defender on w10?

I try avg, avira and avast and all 3 of them disable my windows defender
>>
File: gomenn.png (391 KB, 796x573) Image search: [Google]
gomenn.png
391 KB, 796x573
>>52608013
Yes it's only available on the darknet.
>>
>>52607966
Avast might be good but if you use the free version, they won't even let you turn off the pop-up ads, it keeps shilling to install Chrome.
>>
>>52608010
Prove it. Do you have any sources showing it sells user data, etc. ? I know it was sketchy before too, but still, i get it for free from Bell.

Also tfw you're thankful that windows defender isn't adware/bloated in windows 10. "sigh of relief that shouldn't even happen in the first place"
>>
>current year
>needing antivirus
>>
I think the only stuff I have installed on the way of computer security/privacy are crap cleaners a la CCleaner and Advanced System Care. AVs are completely unnecessary
>>
File: mcafee_logo_3217.png (56 KB, 1587x375) Image search: [Google]
mcafee_logo_3217.png
56 KB, 1587x375
i have this
>>
>>52608078
CCleaner is completey unecessary too though. It will literally delete your computer if you're not careful.
Anyways why do you need CCleaner?
>>
>>52608105
Registry, cookie whitelisting, selective deleting of your temp folder stuff. It's not bad, anon, it won't delete your computer. It has checkboxes for pretty much everything it deletes.
>>
>>52607966
Linux
>>
>>52607966
>$(Current_Year)
>people still seriously consider using an antivirus
>>
>2011
>using a placebovirus
>>
>>52608044
Well I personally got it installed without approval a bunch of times back in the XP times, toolbar included, also it's ransomware because it says there're viruses if you run a scan but it won't let you remove them unless you purchase it.

If you want to know whether it's spying or not, open the task manager and see in the performance monitor what files are being read by the mcafee process and use a packet sniffer to see what outgoing connections are active at the same time.
>>
>>52608195
If it slows down my computer im going to uninstall it.
anyways if you could get a source that would be great
>>
I just can't live with an Antivirus it just slows everything up. I've tried a lot, recommendations from CNET or pcmag or shit like that, free or trials, but in reality I end up using common sense and sometimes nod32 online scanner of I'm suspicious, but because most of the time I use GNU Linux I don't do it too often
>>
I get eset free through work and i love it. No noticeable slowdown and the extra features in the smart security version are pretty neat.
>>
>>52608238
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/mcafee-security-scan-plus-removal/
>>
The only thing remotely close to an Antivirus worth having is a firewall. That way you control what comes in and goes out.
>>
>>52608383
Yeah i know that. I remember those as vivid flashbacks in my memory like im some kind of autist. fucken thing would never stop popping up.

Anyways i'll google for sources on it being spyware, spying or sending data. If you could find any thats what i was originally asking for. Thanks.
>>
>>52608420
I don't have a source now but I remember reading an official announcement on a blog (maybe it was kaspersky or avg I'm not sure) that mcafee was going to be considered malware from that point on, I didn't bother to look in the details since I don't use mcafee and I always avoided installing it again. You're an ass with me once, you're an ass forever, they could be dead for what I care.
>>
>>52608469
I know what you're saying. I did that with many many movies and tv shows.
>>
Eset is consistently good.
>>
Yay, another pointless thread that we get every fucking day and every time it's the same answers, fucking kill yourself.
>>
Bitdefender Free is pretty nice.
>>
File: 1333.jpg (33 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1333.jpg
33 KB, 514x536
>normies discussing about ANTIVIRUS on my board

pls someone end me
>>
>>52608660
The whitelisting is terrible, though. You can only whitelist things by the exact path depth. So if you download a cracked game update with a DLL that you know is clean, but sets off NOD32 as a false positive, the only way to properly apply the update is to whitelist both fucking exact locations. It's insanity.
>>
>>52607966
How much more pleb of a general can you get? Downvoted
>>
>>52608028
Any anti virus will do that best windows defender is an anti virus its self and running 2 anti virus will try to kill each other causing the computer to be useless
>>
>>52608037
>otoko no ko with piss bottle
>>
Serious question /g/. Is an antivirus really needed if im using common sense too? I mean an antivirus wont protect me from zero day threats. The only thing antivirus have done to "protect" me is warn about files I download sometimes by accident (im looking at you chrome) and of which im well aware of their dubious origin and purpose.

Im using avg for the moment and its starting to really piss me off with its laughable messages (your pc starte 87.2491% faster thanks to avg!!!1!1)
>>
>>52609128
i think if you have any files that u need just make a backup and thats it. you don't really need an anti virus. with an ssd it takes 10 min to reformat your entire drive anyawys.
>>
Just install Linux you winbabbies
>>
>>52608676

>all this fresh new content to choose from

>let me go into stale pasta thread since I hate it
>>
>>52608044
i work at an it store and since all intel laptops come with preinstalled mcaffe all of them are slow as fuck even the expensive ones and when we put them out on demo our first step is to remove that shit
>>
nod32

it just werks desu senpai
>>
>>52609128
They might help you sometimes. For example I downloaded once a rar file that had all the file names spoofed, one of the files looked like a video inside it and when I double clicked it my antivirus blocked it, it was an ".exe"

It could have been prevented by extracting all before opening anything, but I didnt see it coming
>>
>>52607966
Who Kaspersky masterrace here ?
>>
>>52612906
Fuck off with your pig squealing bullshit
>>
>>52607966
fuck with your meme generals faggots
>>
>>52612958
That was rude.
>>
>>52613000
Should've chosen a better AV software, like common sense 2016 ultimate edition
>>
>>52613031
It won't protect you in case i inject myboot.exe into your mainframe.
>>
>>52613062
Inject this
*unzips dick*
>>
>>52607966
>2016
>having popular antivirus
>not pirating Hitman Pro to do 2 minute scans after you install pirated games to rid yourself of bitcoin miners
>needing extra security
>>
>>52613154
>pirating an AV
Enjoy your rootkits
>>
Switched to Common Sense yesterday, always used an AV up until then. They're too intrusive and make your pc run like shit.
>>
>>52608782
And this is diferent with other Antvir? No, Eset is considered fine for being an antivir. Linux is best
>>
>>52613000
its truth
>>
Have anyone tried free version of kaspersky already?
>>
>>52607966
>not linking to av-test.org
>not linking to av-comparatives.org
what a shit OP
>>
So, it's enough just to do system scans with Malwarebytes from time to time?
>>
Malwarebytes lifetime license + a few different adblock varients.
>>
I was looking at the ESET site and there is a Linux version.
I thought Linux wouldn't need antiviruses, what's up with that?
>>
>>52613611
they blacklist keys very often though
>>
>>52607966
tried antivirus for the first time last friday
ClamAV scan in $HOME
obviously i didn't have anything bad
what's the point?
>>
>>52613778
So ur cpu has something to do cuz i bought that i7
>>
av-comparatives.org
av-comparatives.org
Use virustotal.com to get any file scannned by different scanners
>>
>>52608043
>set to Silent/gaming mode
Here's how to fix that.
>>
Malwarebytes and Common Sense 2016 ®

My favorites
>>
I am using NANO antivirus, its only problem is that sometimes makes explorer.exe too slow
>>
>>52607978
Retail worker here.

It kills me every time I have to recommend McAfee. The piece of shit barely works, eats through shittonnes of resources and takes a minimum 4 attempts to install. AIDS in software form.
>>
Doesn't e paid version of malwarebytes turn it into an AV? Why is that never on these lists?
>>
>>52618521
>>52612402

I know this feel

I wish I could recommend people kaspersky and eset
>>
>>52613716
It's like 25$. Still cheaper than any other non-free a/v.
>>52618650
Yep, works great.
>>
>>52613283
I'm actually using some license found online, but I didn't touch to the files.
Using malware bytes pro btw.
>>
Anti-virus is a scam. Use common sense 2016 to install GNU/Linux.
>>
who /bitdefender/ here?
should I also install malwarebytes or is a AV enough?
>>
Eset, but i only use it for it's learning firewall function. The shit out there like comodo push everything considered "common" or "trusted" through by deafult. Sometimes i don't feel like allowing 10 different fucking java google adobe update managers to connect to shit RIGHT now.

Decent firewall software, anyone?
>>
>>52621811
http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

The only paid piece of software on my windows (and I don't pirate anything either, I stopped doing that a few years ago, I'm 99% gratisware now) and I don't regret it at all
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.