[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: gentoo.jpg (364 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.jpg
364 KB, 1920x1080
Previously on: >>52554302

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Dual-boot Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about Linux)
4) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
Is it possible to tell a DE to use a window manager other than it's native one?
>>
>>52568955
Yes. Read your DE documentation.
>>
What's better PCmanFM or SpaceFM?
>>
File: hn8F5EZ.jpg (38 KB, 490x460) Image search: [Google]
hn8F5EZ.jpg
38 KB, 490x460
What do I do when a game locks up in Linux? I mean like when it does that thing where it plays the sound over and over again and your alt-tabs aren't working right. In Windows I could get control back after 30 seconds max by pressing ctrl + alt + del, but what do I do here?
>>
trying to get steam to work on arch, I've tried the aur package
steam-native
but a certain package has broken keys or something

I get the following when I run steam from a terminal

libGL error: unable to load driver: nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
^C
>>
>>52569424
ctrl+alt+f2
open up htop
kill process
>>
>>52569464
thanks
>>
File: 1447092663788.jpg (455 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447092663788.jpg
455 KB, 1280x720
>2016
>Using vendor BIOS
>Using libreboot
>Not using Hidamarisketch BIOS
>>
>>52569464
how do I get back to my desktop after doing this?
>>
>>52569563
ctrl+alt+f1
I think ctrl+alt+f7 may also work, depending on your distro
>>
>>52569575
Thanks. So these are all different instances of command lines running and some are guis? Is it possible to have a completely differen desktop running on another instance?
>>
>>52569590
yes, I think they're different tty's and you can run a separate x instance on each one if you want to
>>
Could anyone help me resolve this?

>>52567851
>>52567961
>>52567970
>>
>>52569448
There's an official package, why are you using AUR.
>>
>>52569448
Have you tried installing lib32-nvidia-libgl?
>>
>>52569622
>double password for increased security

Are you retarded? Get Fail2ban.

Also, add your stupid user to AllowUsers in your sshd conf if you are retarded enough to want this.
>>
>>52569635
that fixed it, thanks
>>
What's your favorite...
1) GNU/Linux distro?
2) Video / Music player?
3) Window manager & Desktop environment?
4) Software package manager?
5) Terminal emulator?
--
6) Are you generally fond of the... "bleeding edges"?
>>
>>52569951
arch
mpv/foobar2k because I like the ui
kde5
pamac
gnome
not especially
>>
>>52569938
lel, no problem. I just had a similar issue with chromium on gentoo
>>
>>52570035
well fug, now I get this. I'm looking for a solution, but I haven't found one yet

Steam: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 155
Resource id in failed request: 0x1a00005
Serial number of failed request: 153
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing
surface_opengl.cpp (594) : Assertion Failed: id
Assert( Assertion Failed: id ):surface_opengl.cpp:594

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1451690000)
assert_20160122173823_14.dmp[3053]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
/tmp/dumps/assert_20160122173823_14.dmp
Steam: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 155
Resource id in failed request: 0x1a00005
Serial number of failed request: 158
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing
>>
>>52569690
I was just asking senpai. Obviously fail2ban is a good option too.
>>
>>52570096
Remove those drivers, remove steam. Install the drivers THEN install steam.

You may also have to delete some runtime libraries https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Steam_runtime_issues
>>
>>52569951
Arch
MPV/MusicBee
i3
Pacman
urxvt
I don't care too much desu, I don't need 'bleeding edge' but I do like to be fairly up to date.
>>
>>52570132
should I be using the nvidia package? I've tried uninstalling/installing, and the commands listed in the wiki, but it still gives me the same error
>>
File: file.png (106 KB, 724x461) Image search: [Google]
file.png
106 KB, 724x461
why is virtualbox making me reinstall the guest additions iso and set up the shared folder every time i reboot the vm? I just want a permanent shared folder between my host OS and vm
>>
I have a very simple script I want to run at startup. I created an empty file named "reshift" and put this in it:

#!/bin/sh
redshift -l 40.7127:74.0059

Then as root I moved it to /etc/init.d/, made it executable and ran:

update-rc.d redshift defaults

It still doesn't run on startup though, and I have no idea why. Just to be sure, I copied the script file back to the desktop and ran it from there by double-clicking, and it worked immediately. So there's nothing wrong with the script itself as far as I can tell.

What do? noob here, no bully pls
>>
Using mint here.
Generally are the updates from the update manager completely irrelevant bloat? (besides the security ones, that is)
>>
i've been using windows all my life. What are some basic things that are different from windows that i would need to know to survive in a linux work environment?
>>
>>52570682
No, they're the opposite of bloat, they're either bugfixes or new versions of packages, sometimes an important package like kernel or Firefox. Just update once a week, reboot when it tells you an update needs a reboot. Done.
>>
how do I get yaourt to skip pgp verifying? I haven't had any issues so far with packages, and I've tried refreshing the keying

==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
gnutls-3.3.19.tar.xz ... Passed
gnutls-3.3.19.tar.xz.sig ... Skipped
==> Verifying source file signatures with gpg...
gnutls-3.3.19.tar.xz ... FAILED (unknown public key 9D5EAAF69013B842)
==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build lib32-gnutls28.
==> Restart building lib32-gnutls28 ? [y/N]
==> ---------------------------------------
==>
>>
What would happen if a newbie installed arch, would he not be able to use it?
>>
>>52570721
I was in the same boat not long ago.
Learn how to install packages.
Learn how to use the very basic command line commands (pwd, cd, find, . , ..)
Learn how to google anything that makes no sense.

For everything that you miss from windows, you can get that feature in one way or another googling it.
>>
>>52570769
thanks anon
>>
>>52570905
arch is relatively user friendly, if you can follow along with the wiki
>>
Is Gentoo testing bleeding edge?
>>
>>52570989
no
>>
>>52570576
Seems convoluted.

My guess is that since Xorg starts up after that, it doesn't work (because redshift needs X to work).

You'd be better off launching redshift with Xorg by putting it in your .xinitrc or the startup file for whatever setup you're using.
>>
>>52570933
>If you can't into command-line, you won't into Arch.
Directly from the wiki.

I've completed the course on codecademy but didn't really learn anything. I don't know what I could do since I tend to just find a step by step guide on forums on how to install programs(ie: copy & paste). How would a newbie typically 'practice' the command line without making it out to be a chore?
>>
>>52571228
by installing drop down terminal or keybinding the ~ key to open a terminal, and when you go to do something do it via terminal instead of gui
>>
>>52571228
>How would a newbie typically 'practice' the command line without making it out to be a chore?
install a friendlier distro like ubuntu/mint and force yourself to use it instead of installing a gui for everything
>>
>>52571261
>keybinding the ~ key to open a terminal
Is that what the pros do?
>>
>>52571261
you mean guake?
>>
>>52571295
dunno bout the pros, but if you have it set up so you just gotta hit a single key to open the terminal, then you're more likely to use it, and things get done quicker once you know you way around a bit

>>52571305
yes
>>
>>52570905
Tbh I just went balls deep into Arch after very limited exposure to linux at all. Found it quite easy to be honest. The actual install was very easy since you literally follow the beginner's guide instructions. I did fuck around a bit after figuring out why DE/WMs weren't working - lol you need to install xorg!

But very happy with the result, Arch is very clean and I've had no issues since setting it up.
>>
>>52571228
Learning the command line is like learning a language. Not a programming language, but a regular language.

If you want to become more skilled with it, you need to surround yourself with it, become versed in the general flow of things, and build a vocabulary.

For the command line, I suggest:

1) Use the command line for more things. For example, don't use a file manager if you don't absolutely need to. Use CLI-based applications. Learn to use a terminal text editor and keep a diary. Anything that keeps you interacting with the command line.

2) Read the man page of every application you install. Understand the various launch options. Take note of anything interesting in those man pages.

3) Read the various command line resources and get a sense of what the main ones do.

Beyond that, there's not much you can do. In a word, if you don't use the the command line, then there's no reason to learn it.
>>
>>52571124
i'm a dumbass. xfce has its own startup commands section in settings. i put it in there and it worked.

thanks anyway
>>
>>52568850
>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
I can't join in, because I'm using Alpine hich is GNU free.
>>
>>52569951
Arch
VLC
KWin,KDE/Muffin,Cinnamon
pacman
nothing hipster
Don't care if it just works
>>
>>52569951
Debian
mpv/ncmpcpp
openbox(if only using wm)/xfce4 (if using DE)
apt
guake
meh, I run testing so its pretty close, but its not really a necessity.
>>
>>52569951
Arch
mpv / mpd
herbstluftwm / GNOME 3
portage
urxvt
don't care
>>
>>52571835
I wouldn't worry, it's only retards who give a fuck about gnu
>>
How do I activate Awesome on Xubuntu after installing it?
>>
>>52572102
You have to launch it in some way. Either choose it in your DM or set it in your .xinitrc if you don't have one.
>>
>>52572196
Can't even find it :(
>>
>>52572262
Click on the logo or something. *buntu's login screen usually hides the different available sessions.
>>
File: a.jpg (163 KB, 1375x747) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
163 KB, 1375x747
>>52572102
>>
I want to try Arch, but i have no internet connection at home.
i found this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/offline_installation_of_packages
and it says that its outdated because the ftp server has been shut down. and the new mirror is https://sources.archlinux.org/

i can still follow the instruction on the link but i just need to change the url to the new mirror?

and

>Be aware you have enabled at least one of the servers defined in the /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist file. Otherwise all what you get is a misleading error message:

error: no database for package: package-name

doesnt that mean i still need internet connection at home to get the list files?
>>
>>52572401
Literally -Sy
>>
>>52572401
just grab the package list from the mirror/repo as well, place downloaded packages in pacmans' cache folder

if it's in the cache, pacman will install them from there
>>
>>52572447
for example;
here's a mirror of the core repo (in australia, see /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist for a list of all of them)
http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/archlinux/core/os/x86_64/
notice the "core.db" file, this is the package list, this lets pacman know what is available and what versions they are, place a copy of it in "/var/lib/pacman/sync", this is what -Sy does
then just download the packages you need and place them in "/var/cache/pacman/pkg", this is where pacman caches packages you have downloaded, it will try to find things there first
you can determine what dependencies you need using pacman and the .db file, or you can simply download an entire mirror
>>
What would be causing an application to crash in wine if I try to run it from the command line, but runs properly if I manually start it in wine explorer? Judging by the error message it seems to be unable to find files located in the same directory as the .exe, but I don't really know enough about wine to understand what's up
>>
>>52572550
the program expects the working directory to be where the exe is

that is, the "current" or "active" directory

like if you run "cd /tmp", the working directory is "/tmp", it's "where you are"

you just need to change directory or set the working directory variable, like;
cd /folder/exe/is/in
wine the.exe

or
PWD=/path wine exe
>>
>>52572582
also note that this applies to windows as well, if you open up cmd and ran the program from the wrong folder, it'd do the same thing, for example;
c:\> /path/to/exe

rather than
c:\> cd /path/to
exe
>>
>>52572623
damnit
c:\> cd /path/to
c:\path\to> exe
>>
How to launch a program via the command line?
>>
>>52572660
figured it out. Add a '&' at the end to keep the terminal from hanging.
>>
>>52572582
Thanks, that does make sense but for some reason I figured it would work normally just running it from anywhere with the full path to the exe in the argument.

If you know more about the progam specifically, do you know what reason there would be to use a 32 bit prefix? Like shouldn't a 64 bit prefix be able to run 32 bit applications normally? My distro's version is compiled with the win64 flag which is apparently not default behavior, but because of this I'm assuming it would work like 32 bit stuff in 64 bit windows...
>>
Im attempting to make my little Raspberry Pi into a webserver, and its all working except for the fact that whenever I try to execute a perl script it just starts downloading the damn thing. I've been trying all sorts of shit and have probably fucked something else up in the process. Anyone got any experience with this.
>>
I know
pacman -Qe
will print a list of installed packages, but is there a way to print a list of packages that were installed after the base system was installed?
>>
Will Wayland save us?
>>
>>52572897
The only reason I posted this is because I always fix the one thing I fucked up RIGHT AFTER I ask for halp on 4chan.

Disregard.
>>
>>52572916
Fedora 24 will have it as default. I'll monitor opinion of it when it comes out.
>>
Proably not a linux specific issue but I'm pissed off.

> trying to download gentoo tarball
> 50 kbps average download speed

For christ's sake. It is 2015. There's no excuse for this, I mean, come on.
>>
>>52573042
I've noticed for some reason unconfigured package managers will prefer to download from some neckbeard's crusty webserver in shitholeistan
>>
>>52572700
a 64bit prefix does indeed work like windows, where it can support 32bit programs via WoW64 (microsofts' name for multilib, it stands for Windows (32) on Windows 64)
however, both 64bit and WoW64 support aren't as complete as 32bit in wine, so the compatibility of running 32bit programs in a 32bit or 64bit prefix may differ, generally 32bit winning over
if you use a prefix per application (which is good practice), then there's no advantage to using a 64bit prefix for a 32bit program anyway (even if the compatibility was identical)
>>
>>52573118
That'd be the case, but I'm downloading them from the fucking Gentoo website.
>>
>>52572700
oh, it's worth noting that compiling wine with 64bit support doesn't affect its support for 32bit prefixes, you can use a 32bit prefix with 64bit-supported wine (but not pure 64bit wine, which can't run 32bit programs)
>>
>>52573136
it's generally recommended to use a local mirror over any 'main' servers
>>
>>52573136
Don't you love TCP.
>>
File: autist.jpg (756 KB, 800x1047) Image search: [Google]
autist.jpg
756 KB, 800x1047
Is there an actual autist test?

If so, can someone link it?
>>
wtf /g/ im 90% done installing arch and as im setting up grub its telling my "/boot doesnt look like an EFI partition"
>>
>>52574310
Why are you using EFI.
>>
>>52574310
Did you mount EFI as /boot?
Did you use mbr or gpt?
>>
>>52574336
>>52574337
fugg i think i fucked up when it came to using efi
>>
>>52574365
What did you do?
>>
>>52574365
Whenever you see anything in the guide referring to EFI/GPT vs BIOS/MBR pick the MBR route.
>>
>>52574365
I used gpt
>>
>>52574380
gpt requires you to use efi
EFI isn't hard. Just an extra partition you mount at /boot. Flag for it in gdisk is EF00 IIRC.
You should use gpt regardless, as gpt allows for more partitions without having to use an extended partition for it (which can fuck up resizing if you need it).
I would suggest to restart and make sure you have 2-3 partitions (efi, root, swap if you need it).
>>
>>52574380
>>52574377
hold on, i was using the wrong command. I did not do it as gpt
>>
Hey, it's midnight where I am and I feel like shit anyway, so I'm gonna give you guys something to hate.

I messed with the use.mask and use.force settings on the SELinux profile of my Gentoo install so I could use it with systemd!

That's right! I went out of my way to enable something for systemd!
>>
>>52574430
I like systemd.
>>
>>52574425
does fdisk -l detect it as mbr?
For all I know, you could have use parted.
If you didn't make grub use mbr by adding
--target=i386-pc

to your grub-install command
>>
>>52574419
lsblk /dev/sda returns as

20g as / and 230g as /home
>>
>>52574463
some how i stumbled through the installation. I made it!
>>
What DE should i use?
>>
>>52574500
Xfce
>>
>>52574500
Depends.
What do you want in a DE?
>>
>>52574500
Gnome or Mate.
Or use a WM instead desu.
>>
>>52574514
>>52574512
Im not too sure, I havent used linux as a main OS for some time. Id like something that looks nice?
>>52574546
What would a window manager entail?
>>
>>52574552
Using i3 or awesome generally. Now that I think of it I don't really know others, I just learned i3 and stuck with it.
>>
>>52574552
Window managers are slim versions of DEs. From that post, avoid them.
I recommend Gnome, KDE and Cinnamon. Any DE that is GTK2 based other than Cinnamon gave me a mountain of problems.
>>
>>52574574
>Cinnamon
No thanks, I prefer MATE.
>>
>>52574552
>havent used linux as a main OS for some time
>something that looks nice

Cinnamon
>>
>>52574574
I believe I used kde.

is there a 'bible' to Unix that I could read. really want to drive into it this time
>>
>>52572995
>Fedora 24 will have it as default
Source on claim?
>>
>>52574630
I believe there are some good books on Unix and Linux in the wiki.
I recommend downloading the Gentoomen torrent. It has some good books for everything /g/ related.
>>
>>52574647
It was originally planed to be ready on Fedora 23, but they pushed it back to Fedora 24. Source on Fedora 24 having wayland by default is here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefault
>>
>>52574500
The one you like best.
I like xfce with numix dark and compton
>>
File: 1348120447731.jpg (37 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
1348120447731.jpg
37 KB, 500x489
If I'm going to use KDE, is there any reason I shouldn't just install Chakra?

t. archfag
>>
>>52574755
Because Chakra, like Manjaro, are not rolling release.
>>
>>52574781
I thought everything but the core system (i.e. kernel, gnu core utils, etc.) was rolling release on Chakra?
>>
File: karen.jpg (103 KB, 850x486) Image search: [Google]
karen.jpg
103 KB, 850x486
What are other options for running android apps in linux?
Currently I'm using jar of beans with Wine.
>>
>>52574755
Because they have their own repos
>>
>>52574812
Ah fuck, I didn't think of that.

Alright, guess I'm sticking with Arch then. I was gonna do a reinstall anyway so I thought it might be worth just installing Chakra instead to save time/effort.
>>
>>52574827
You can try it in a wm if you want
>>
>>52574791
Android_x86 in dual-boot maybe
>>
>>52574827
A R C H I T E C T
>>
>>52574755
if you want to use kde and only kde, chakra is the best distro out there.
guys like >>52574781 talk out of their ass, rolling release means there is no version and you can upgrade the whole system when there is updates.

What he probably meant is that there is a delay, so packages might get there one week later than on arch.

I personally use chakra.
It is the best repository I have seen.
It doesn't try to be everything at once, it is optimized for kde users.
firefox has the kde patch.
libreoffice is the kde version.
gnome packages have been stripped from as much gnome dependencies as possible (so they don't pull the entire desktop)
It is really good.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
>>52568850
uhh cna anyone help me run psx iso's from coolrom on linuxmint?

I know I'm newb I just can't figure it out plz halps :C

my optic no longer works and I just wanna spyro or crash bandicoot plz
>>
>>52574867
> Android on desktop
Can you actually install Android to a desktop computer? Why would anyone ever do that?
>>
>>52574939
This is a primarily english-speaking website. I'm sure we'd be glad to help if we knew what the issue was.
>>
How to remove accidentally added quickmarks in vimperator for firefox?
>>
>>52574950
You can install the x86 port, yes. The reason is mobile gaymen I guess.
>>
>>52574950
For me because I want to test some of my apps mainly.
Besides android is great if all you do is browsing, and with tons of apps for everything it can make a good desktop OS, for average user.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw

Sort of disappointed when I finally heard the man say "fuck you".

I was expecting more anger behind it.
>>
>>52574960
coolrom.com is a site where you can get playstation game iso's. They run on playstationx emulator. (psx)

I have linuxmint (linuxmint.com)

HOw do I get psx iso's to run on my linux mint?
I have psx through playon linux :0

I even downloaded the windows file iso's all ready to go :[
>>
>>52575069
Hmm. If you are using PlayonLinux and I'm fairly confident that WINE is a dependency of that program, it should work...

You have gotten PSX to run on playonlinux? Consider copying the iso files into whatever folder the PSX executable is executed from (.PlayOnLinux/something...)

I'm sorry, I haven't used PlayOnLinux or WINE in a while. I know a bunch of commands for WINE and that's about it.

Do you have winetricks installed?
>>
>>52575069
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1647148
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2199226
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1845526

I found some support threads. Not being a passive-agressive dick, I'm just trying to help.
>>
>>52575069
And one more thing - install the https everywhere addon to whatever browser you use. It's safer, and when you copy URLS people are more likely to take you seriously.

HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, and if you care enough to enable some scripts on websites you use, NoScript. If you want to go hardcore secure, uMatrix. That last one involves some moderately involved configuration to enable a website, but you only have to do it once, theoretically.
>>
>>52575184
Tbh there's no reason to use noscript over umatrix now. I actually use both, noscript has scripts globally enabled but I keep it for hijack protection etc.

Setting filters is just so much easier in umatrix and more powerful.
>>
>>52574900
u wot m8
>>
>>52575208
That's true, but in my experience figuring out what to enable and what to filter can be a frustrating and at times futile endeavour. I wouldn't recommend it to a newb.
>>
>>52575248
>I wouldn't recommend it to a newb.
Perhaps. I just find it so easy I can't really comprehend people struggling. If they're interested in noscript though they should really just learn umatrix, because if they can't learn umatrix I'm not sure they can use noscript properly either.
>>
>>52575258
I just remember I tried it once and I couldn't find in the filters a site that I knew I needed to enable to use the site I was on.

TvTropes.org, google-apis or something along those lines.
>>
>>52569611
Are you sure? Last time I tried that X complained that it was already running.
>>
I kind a want to try Linux as my daily driver, but I'm scared. I know my way around Linux for work shit. I use Linux daily, both on my work machine and on my servers, but whenever I've toyed around with playing games or editing videos for my free time "hobbies" I've always fell short.

Today I'm again feeling weak. I already downloaded latest Ubuntu image and put it on my USB drive. It's now just sitting on my desk, mocking me. Daring me to insert it and wipe my Win7 from my disk.

I know some games will work fine from Steam's Linux side, but what if I suddenly want to play something that doesn't work? And before you suggest the obvious "just dual boot" option, I know if I have the option to boot into Windows I will be back within a week.

What should I do? Should I embrace the voice in the back of my head that tells me to jump? Or should I just cover my face in shame and continue using Windows?
>>
>>52575389
Justdoit.webm
>>
Anyone use linux for audio or production? Do you use KXStudio, AV Linux, or Ubuntu Studio??
>>
How come programs from windows do not have to be installed on linux?
For example.
VSCode
I just downloaded .zip,extracted and ran the executable file and it works like it was installed via package manager.
>>
>>52576048
Well, doesn't Atom work just like that? Only "install" it does is for dependencies. Just like VSCode has dependencies, you just happen to have them already present.
>>
>>52576048
Because all your magical installation-wizards do is move files to the correct places, maybe setting a few configuration options along the way. Any binary will work just fine on either operating system as long as it finds the files it expects to find.
>>
Simple image editor for Xubuntu?

I don't need something overly complex like GIMP, just something to crop screenshots.
I really wish there was a good equivalent to Snipping Tool from Win7.
>>
>>52576113
Yeah it does. Same with VS Code.
>>52576114
So if they move them to correct places does that mean that my downloads folder is a correct place too since it works from that folder? I mean I get it is different than from windows since I remember only portable versions of small software working on windows without installation wizard.
>>
Do AMD APUs work fine under linux? Will I be able to run games such as age of empires 2 and csgo without too much of a loss?
>>
>>52576157
If the binary looks for files in a path relative to it's own location, then literally anywhere can be a correction location. If it uses absolute paths (unlikely), then you'd have to move some files around before the program would be happy.
>>
>>52576174
amd gpu driver support is garbage on linux.
>>
>>52576140
I use Pinta as a slightly more advanced version of MS paint
>>
File: 1434773297732.gif (2 MB, 540x450) Image search: [Google]
1434773297732.gif
2 MB, 540x450
>making a lot of backups recently
>need a file from my server's full filesystem backup after installing a new OS
>mfw I used -cvf instead of -xvf
>only one copy
Another lesson learned the hard way.
>>
Tried the Architect for the first time, it's fucking awesome. However, I noticed the DE/WM becomes entirely fucked when the Slim display manager is enabled.

Is this happening to anyone else?
>>
>>52576311
So I should give up then?
I just wanted something cheap and to be able to run simple games incase I want to play for an hour or two.
>>
What is the difference between halt (or
 shutdown -h now
) and
poweroff
?
Both turn the machine off but only the latter one does not require sudo to be executed.
>>
>>52576515
One is deprecated I believe.
>>
>>52576515
To properly poweroff the machine use
systemctl poweroff

from poweroff manpage
>NOTES
>These are legacy commands available for compatibility only.
>SEE ALSO
>systemd(1), systemctl(1), shutdown(8), wall(1)
>>
How do I switch distros without
losing my home partition? Home is on a lvm2 partition together with the rest of the system.
>>
>>52576844
Ask the installer to keep your existing /home partition duh
>>
I want to be able to play the best game in the history of human race - namely Pathologic Classic HD, on my linux box. This one game is very important for me.

I successfully installed Steam for Windows and the game itself, by using PlayOnLinux thingie, however now I'm facing two main issues:

Problem A: After launching the game an error window appears, that reads: "Error creating sound system, game will launch without sound", after which the game does, indeed launch without sound...

Problem B: Everything renders and works as it's supposed to, but the entirety of the display is really fucking dim, as if someone moved the contrast slider all the way up, while lowering the gamma all the way down.

I tried messing with the drivers and shit, but i never used any of that stuff. Frankly speaking, I have no idea what I'm doing.
Please, help me /g/, you are my only hope.
>>
>>52569951
1) Xubuntu
2) I don't use a music player (use youtube/soundcloud). VLC player for videos.
3) XFCE (that's why I chose xubuntu)
4) Ubuntu software center for now. I know it gets a lot of hate but idgaf. It werks.
5) Don't care desu.
6) No.
>>
>>52576882
It probably uses the steam installation config which is less optimal for your game

https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-2642-Pathologic_Classic_HD.html
>>
Can anyone recommend me a distro for a laptop that has a 360 degree hinge that turns into a tablet?
>>
>>52576936
*buntu, Fedora

read the fucking sticky good lord, 360 degree hinge is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>52576911
Which one should i use then?
>>
>>52576969
How would I know?
>>
>>52576948
so it has good touchscreen compatibility and the hinge will activate the onscreen keyboard etc? thanks
>>
>>52576973
I used the installer you linked, and that is the one which isn't working. As I said i have no idea how to operate emulators or which drivers are supposed to be used exactly
>>
>>52576948
how is it completely irrelevant?
>>
I need to unzip a bunch of files, convert them to another file type, and rezip them. That'd be easy, but each zip file has a variable number of files inside of it that need to be archived together again after the conversion. Any scripting gurus know how to do this? Way too many files to do manually.
>>
>>52577015
>As I said i have no idea how to operate emulators or which drivers are supposed to be used exactly
then you probably should.

wine is a compatibility layer, not an emulator.
on top of that it's really half-assed one as a result since they can't use microsoft's libraries to avoid patent infringement and being sued to hell and back.

sorry, if you hope that someone will jump, install wine, install steam on wine, buy and install your game just to get it working for you by hours of trial-and-error you're out of luck buddy. Google is your only help.

if wine doesn't work, a windows virtual machine should work right out of the box.
>>
>>52576974
>so it has good touchscreen compatibility
None.

>and the hinge will activate the onscreen keyboard etc?
lmao, you can probably configure it as a trigger to open on screen keyboard, but out of the box support? forget about it.
>>
>>52569407
SpaceFM seems like it has more active development.

I prefer Thunar over both, though.
>>
File: IMG_1840.jpg (385 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1840.jpg
385 KB, 1000x1000
>>52569951
Xubuntu
Deadbeef/mpv
XFCE and Compton
apt, I guess? yum/dnf is nice too
sakura
No, not particularly. Stable all day.
>>
>>52577055
I've been working on it for the past 5 hours. I'm just looking for someone's more informed opinion. This shit is way to obscure.\

Thanks anyway.
>>
>>52577064
is anyone gonna build a distro any time soon for convertible laptops? I really don't want to use windows
>>
arch
mpv / mpd + ncmpcpp
openbox
yaourt
urxvt
i dont mind desu
>>
>>52577053
Why don't you just unzip to their own directories?
>>
>>52577121
What the hell is a "convertible laptop"?
>>
>>52568850
how does one unrar a multiple part .rar files on linux?
>>
>>52568850
I'm new to Arch, this is the first time I've gotten a conflicting package error, I was doing a general update when...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (12) graphite-1:1.3.5-1 lib32-libpulse-8.0-1 libpulse-8.0-1
perl-image-exiftool-10.10-1 pulseaudio-8.0-1
python-packaging-16.0-1 python-pyparsing-2.0.7-1
python2-packaging-16.0-1 python2-pyparsing-2.0.7-1 sqlite-3.10.2-1
wine-1.9.2-1 xf86-video-r128-6.10.1-1

Total Installed Size: 354.20 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 4.29 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(12/12) checking keys in keyring [##########################] 100%
(12/12) checking package integrity [##########################] 100%
(12/12) loading package files [##########################] 100%
(12/12) checking for file conflicts [##########################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
python-pyparsing: /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/__pycache__/pyparsing.cpython-35.pyc exists in filesystem
python-pyparsing: /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyparsing.py exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

My question is, should I remove the python-pyparsing oacjage with pacman or just remove the compiled files manually? How do you handle new packages conflictnig with old ones in general?
>>
>>52577321
Install p7zip-rar, then unrar the first part, it should continue through the set

I would like to add that the RAR format is fucking cancer
>>
>>52577321
peazip works, same as other anon mentioned, you can right click, open peazip and extract, it unpacks all the parts.
>>
File: average g user.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
average g user.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
So I bought a cheap USB mouse and now the trackpad of my netbook doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know how to resolve this?
I'm on Lubuntu and I'm fairly new to the Linux game.
>>
>>52577862
>I bought a cheap USB mouse
>trackpad of my netbook doesn't work
So what is the problem? Your sentence doesn't make much sense, or at least doesn't tells what is wrong.
>>
>>52575389
I'm on the same boat. I'm about to do it, but want another extra backup before I do anything crazy. Pictures, chinese porn comics, code, music, games, and downloads MUST be safe before destruction.
>>
>>52577977
The trackpad/touchpad/clickbar or whatever build in the actual netbook is not working anymore after I started using an external usb mouse. See pic if you still can't understand what I'm referring to.
It's completely dead, even when the mouse is not plugged in.
I hope this makes more sense now.
>>
File: PackardBell_dots2_Touchpad.jpg (20 KB, 295x220) Image search: [Google]
PackardBell_dots2_Touchpad.jpg
20 KB, 295x220
>>52578078
Fuck, forgot pic.
>>
>>52578078
Kind of doubt it is broken/defective now. Does it not work even after a reboot without the mouse plugged in?
>>
File: mfw americans.jpg (40 KB, 453x500) Image search: [Google]
mfw americans.jpg
40 KB, 453x500
I lurk /flt/ everyday and try to help people but good lord I'm reading through people's problems and I always wonder whether I'm some kind of lucky bastard or what.

There are people who's hardware/installation weirdly stops them from making even the most basic tasks.
How is that even fucking possible that It never happens to me?
>>
>>52578118
They can't rtfm
>>
>>52578118
A lot of the problems are because of the user. Anything related to arch is usually the user not doing something or doing something incorrectly (not always but mostly). For ubuntu type questions the problems are also usually user caused, often they don't know what the root of the problem is or they don't know the terminology to find help.
>>
>>52578114
I tried, still not working.
It's funny though, it's like Lubuntu decided I don't need it anymore and just shut it down completely.
>>
>>52578177
You might need to look at xorg conf files and make sure you have what you need and that the driver is installed still. Do you know if it logitech or something?
>>
>>52576427
SLiM is deprecated.
>>
>want to move into Linux
>every drive is in NTFS
>>
>>52578314
create a partition, install linux, problem solved.
>>
>>52578210
>-Input Devices-
>SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
It doesn't work but it still appears on the input devices list.
>>
>>52578314
loonatix reads/writes to ntfs just fine.

if they're only drives for animupedoshit storage don't worry.
>>
>>52578344
I want to get rid of Windows entirely. It's all backed up on one of the drives. I'm about to do a second backup on the rest of the drives.

>>52578352
Thanks familia. I knew I could trust my chinese porn comics on Linucks.
>>
how do I setup smart cards on mint?
I bought a reader and a smart card but not sure what to do next. I just want to use it for a keyfile for keepass, and if possible, as another form of authentication for decryption my hdd (it has FDE, but using 2FA for this isn't a big priority of mine).

basically I want to make keepass more secure since I don't want to use any "cloud" services for all my passwords, and will instead store it locally.
>>
>>52578369
>I want to get rid of Windows entirely.
What's the problem then? Just install linux and restore your data.
>>
>>52578391
put the keyfile on the smart card?
>>
>>52578391
what is the problem?
What do you expect to happen and what actually happens?
>>
>>52578416
>>52578410
forgot to mention, that the card is on a list supposed supported on debian, and I checked to see if the reader is working on my system and it indeed is, it reads when I add/remove a card. However when I use opensc it says the card is unsupported.
>>
>>52578424
>opensc
what is that?
>>
I'm a dummie when it comes to filesystems, so I gotta ask here.

Using ext4 on my hard drive could help it last longer? Provided I don't fuck it up and cause physical damage.
>>
File: 1452070923806.jpg (83 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
1452070923806.jpg
83 KB, 640x800
>>52578926
This is purely anecdotal, but NTFS caused bad sectors on one of my 2TB HDDs. When I zero-filled it, then formatted it with EXT4, the bad sectors were gone. 2 years later, there's still none with over 6TB of writes.
>>
>Install Gentoo
>Everything starts to just werk after a day.
>Switch to Gentoo Testing branch
>Xorg is broken

I've been memed.
>>
>>52578926
filesystem choice doesn't damage the hard drive.
It could result in your files being fucked (famous applel's HFS+), but it has no power to physically damage it.
>>
>>52579653
>>Switch to Gentoo Testing branch
You asked for it
>>
>>52577112
That pic gave me a boner.
>>
>>52579685

I know that, that's precisely what I mean. Assuming I don't do something stupid like accidentally kick my case or a natural disaster happens (earthquake and whatnot)...using an ext4 filesystem should make my HDD less likely to suffer data corruption, damaged sector, etc. right?
>>
I'm trying to install ubuntu in virtual box. When i try to install it says "end kernal panic. Attempted to kill init exit code =0x00000004"

What the fuck is going on?
>>
File: FFDA8CHh.jpg (46 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
FFDA8CHh.jpg
46 KB, 1024x576
Hi! Can anyone tell me how to apply all dotfiles to make my openbox desktop like pic related? Yeah I'm linux newbie
>>
>>52579847
no of course not lmao
>>
>>52579863
>Yeah I'm linux newbie
Ask in desktop threads, noone here cares about shitty unusable rice
>>
>>52579865

So the risk is pretty much the same. What's a benefit of using ext4 then?
>>
>>52579878
Found the ubuntu babby.
>>
>>52579909
compared to what?
>>
>>52579653
K fixed it myself, just had to add

VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

To my /etc/portage/make.conf
>>
>>52579878
>unusable rice
You don't enjoy a nice looking desktop?
You can't use basic hotkeys?
Please leave /g/.
Normies out.
>>
>>52580005

NTFS or FAT32 for instance?
>>
>>52579878
>noone here cares
wow, didn't know your're the voice of /g/
are you that 4chan hacker also?
>>
I know this is a stupid ass question and I feel stupd that I need to ask having taken a unix class in college but how the fuck can I just strip away all GUI from a lubuntu install? I understand there is a DE (lxde) and I have several window managers and the DM/greeter that came with lubuntu. Any way to quickly switch between DE's and DM's? Key config files?
>>
File: 1426628059474.gif (1 MB, 399x197) Image search: [Google]
1426628059474.gif
1 MB, 399x197
What is the BEST linux? Anyone?
>>
>>52580084
FAT32 is not a good filesystem for anything that's not a usb flashdrive that's supposed to work with every system because it has a filesize limit of 4GB.

>NTFS
NTFS support on Linux is wonky. It works, you can read and write NTFS partitions but any operations causes more CPU usage than it should and NTFS is pretty much ancient garbage with special love for file fragmentation.

You'd know that if you googled.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Nex time state your fucking business friend instead of asking cryptic questions
>>
>>52580150
The one I'm using of course
>>
>>52580150
The one most appropriate for what you're trying to do.
>>
>>52580150
Gentoo and Arch are for tinkerers
Ubuntu and Mint are for normies
Fedora is for stability.
>>
>>52576311
lel, i switched to an amd card for the reason that they're the best drivers
>>
File: 1449858245057.png (685 KB, 2267x1763) Image search: [Google]
1449858245057.png
685 KB, 2267x1763
>>52580190
>Fedora
*tips
>not Debian
>>
>>52580216
a meme distro next to arch and gentoo
>>
>>52580229
t. they guy who uses a distro with no packages
>>
>>52580190
>fedora
>stability
good one faggot
>>
>>52580254
>what is rpmfusion

>>52580257
>i never tried it but i still feel entitled to give an opinion

what will you both tell me next?
That arch is good?
>>
>>52580257
I don't know about you but I never had a problem with memehat

t. Gentoo User
>>
>>52578118
they're running into problems you either
- don't run into because you know what you're doing
or
- learned to resolve so long ago that you've forgotten that it's not common knowledge
>>
>>52578314
naturally

zero of my disks are ntfs now, but when i first used linux they all were, it wouldn't make sense any other way
>>
>>52580074
Literally see https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/ second post:
>Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse/puke-inducing like those at desktop threads)
>>
>>52580331
>logic discarded
>the authority has spoken
>>
Installed Gentoo hardened with luks i feel light now when it all worked out to be good :)
>>
>>52580331
Hello, Morpheus.
>>
>>52580331
Riced desktops are usually more functional than default desktops. People who hate ricing and claim it "non functional" usually don't get the point what "functional" actually means.

>can't see any toolbars
>not functional
Newfriend logic.
>>
>>52580452
>has fucking pink shit with terrible color aesthetics
>only used for watching mongol cartoons and fapping to old hag
>can't be used for real productivity

Even /r/unixporn is better than you.
>>
>>52580150
New? Manjaro.
Old? Arch.
>>
>>52580451
sup, i'm observing /flt/ now
>>
>>52580539
New? Arch
Old? Gentoo

:^)
>>
>>52580521
>>has fucking pink shit with terrible color aesthetics
You dont need to rice your desktop using his color theme
>>only used for watching mongol cartoons and fapping to old hag
Hating ricing because you hate anime? kek
>>can't be used for real productivity
[citation needed]
>>
What's a good theme for Awesome WM?
>>
>>52580594
The one I use.
>>
>>52580594
https://github.com/copycat-killer/awesome-copycats
>>
>>52580594
The one I made.
>>
>>52579863
>>52579878
>>52579969
>>52580074
>>52580097
>>52580331
>>52580345
>>52580452
>>52580521
>>52580571
Gentlemen, I am the one who came up with the puke inducing part, but not the rest (Make it worse blah blah blah)

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=/flt/&diff=29096&oldid=29095

Just revise it ffs.
>>
>>52568850
hi guys, i'm in a middle of installing arch on my new laptop, and the font size of the installation terminal is so small because of the high resolution of my screen, is it possible to make it larger?
>>
>>52575389
Wasn't there a hacked mini XP that run from USB drive?
Why not used that instead of dual booting?
>>
Trying to change my Awesome WM theme to zenburn but keep getting, "writing error when attempting to save file...". What's going on? I'm simply changing 'default' to 'zenburn' after the 'beautiful.init(...)".
>>
>>52580777
>1st world problems
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.