[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are professors so dismissive towards women interested in CS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16
File: iQdKB.png (28 KB, 780x679) Image search: [Google]
iQdKB.png
28 KB, 780x679
Why are professors so dismissive towards women interested in CS?
>>
File: Jurassic.Park.1993.720p.jpg (91 KB, 772x712) Image search: [Google]
Jurassic.Park.1993.720p.jpg
91 KB, 772x712
>>52437143
>CONVINCE ME
>thinking this is a good argument ever

If she's not interested then that's that.

>I dont like x. Write a paper and give me a presentation why I should like it. I'm already biased so you can do all the work while I do nothing
>>
Professor is right
>>
because they are fucking morons that write shit like 'algol is a great language and i love warm apple pie'

no really
>>
>>52437238
so random xD
>>
>>52437143
> toward women

Nice b8. Your pic has nothing to do with gender.
>>
Fuck off hussie
>>
>>52437143
I was never convinced before but now that I'm a graduate I am convinced that the whole "half or more of first year cs majors you'll never see again because they dropped out or switched majors within the first semester". Literally after the first 2 years half the people I knew that were cs majors gave up.

CS really isn't for everyone, makes me question why they want to make it a mandatory course in high school, what are they going to do when only 10% of the students pass?
>>
>>52437143
Why is that person worth convincing? Make your case.
>>
>>52437356
>makes me question why they want to make it a mandatory course in high school
Because they don't want to teach computer science at schools, but rather some stupid web framework that will be out of date by the time the students are graduating.
>>
>>52437143
>liberal arts fag wants to into computers
>says they aren't convinced to get into it
then don't fucking do it?
it's no ones job to convince you
also, this has nothing to do with gender, I imagine it was actually a faggot (like, a literal, lisping one, not just a generic fag)
Also the prof is right, CS isnt' for everyone, and if you aren't already keen to keep going, it probably isn't for you
>>
>>52437143
Graduated last year from CS. CS isnt for anyone. Really hard time getting jobs right now, might just be because its January.
>>
>>52437402
Late December - Early January is the worst time to find a job (companies have a lot of shit on their plate and dont have time to hire), best time is right before summer because every company is looking for soon to be/recent grads
>>
>>52437143
lol, rekt
>>
If you need convincing then CS isn't for you.

That's what he meant.

But unfortunately, women need convincing to do anything.
Or rather, when they take the lazy path and do something else they need an excuse.
>>
>>52437356
If you actually look at what they're teaching it's not really Computer Science at all. They try to sell it as Computer Science because the term sounds really good, but in reality all they're teaching is basic IT and programming.

So what they're now supposed to teach at school isn't CS, it's just IT and programming.
>>
CS is typically for everyone since it's where engineer failures go to :^)
>>
>>52437143
That student is a fucking moron.
>>
>>52437143
>I don't like X, I like Y instead
>You must defend your X to me now

Who thinks like this? If you don't like it, just don't like it. Why do other people need to defend what they like to you? Who the fuck are you?

Also of course they're a "Liberal Arts person".
>>
>>52437526
>for everyone
Not really, it's only for those who can pass calc 2 and perhaps higher, so if you suck at math you're done before you started.
>>
>>52437517
>IT and programming
Which is what most CS undergrads end up doing after graduation.
>>
File: women and video games.jpg (286 KB, 878x888) Image search: [Google]
women and video games.jpg
286 KB, 878x888
You know, this picture could just as easily apply to CS

Women hate "beta" nerdy shit until they find out it makes money, then they want it.

They want all of the benefits of being early adopters/innovators with none of the risk.
>>
If you look at her mentality, she wants someone to tell her what to do.

Classic. I bet she has a rape fantasy too.
>>
I'm shocked that a student actually made a post on a fucking uni course forum.
I'm even more shocked that a professor responded it.
>>
>>52437623
the professor is a bro though. Doesn't fall for the bait, and just dismantles the offense.
>>
>>52437143
>literally makes a /g/ post to the entire class about why they should pursue CS
>CS professor isn't having any of that shit

I don't see the problem here
>>
>>52437569
>Who thinks like this?
Women and homosexuals.
>>
>>52437572
Why does CS involve heavy math? I don't need to write a fucking formula to get to 4chins
>>
>>52437143
I'm sure what happened is he or she read "liberal arts major" and "convince me".

as an engineer major that has a bunch of liberal arts major friends there is no convincing them. Trying to explain the fruits of science and engineering to them just starts an endless back and forth debate. I've given up and tend to avoid this discussion anymore
>>
>>52437692
It's mainly just a wall to prevent to many people from graduating.

In the real world, unless you go to a graduate school to do some major theoretical shit, you will never use a lot of the math you are taught.

Obviously it depends what kinds of software you're working on as well.
>>
>>52437692
>Calculus
>heavy math
>>
>>52437727
Good.

The math keeps the number of legit CS degrees down, just like the AMA limits the number of med school students to keep doctor's wages high.
>>
>>52437143
Its worthless trying to explain a liberal arts major why CS is good. It's a waste a time.

If the question had been asked by someone with a computer engineering, electrical engineering or even software dev background then things would be a lot more interesting.
>>
>>52437739
I barely passed algebra II in high school. I honestly have no idea what calculus even looks like, but the name sounds scary.
>>
>>52437762
oy vey
>>
>>52437572
>Calc 2
>Hard
You're either underage or a philosophy major. Have fun ripping tickets at a movie theater one day.
>>
>>52437739
It's almost a fact that anyone who can pass calc 2 can go on to pass any other higher math course in an undergrad school. calc 3 is actually easier than calc 2.

>>52437762
It's just a bunch of bullshit involving derivatives (calc 1) and integrals (calc 2)
>>
>>52437791
He was pointing out that calc 2 has the highest failure rate for scientists/engineers. It's a well known weedout course.
>>
>I LOVE video games
BAZIMGA!
>>
>>52437762
Its a bunch of shortcuts to find instantaneous rates of change and areas under a curve using algebra and trig.
>>
>>52437598
>>52437598

This image really resonated with me. I remember back in 2005 being called a "freak" by a girl while in high school because I loved WoW. Now girls make bank from streaming and the successful gamers have heaps of fangirls.
>>
>>52437526

this 2bh familia
>>
>>52437818
How? I was a math major, but there were CS guys and engineers in at least some my classes almost all the way through. I guess it's good that Calc 2 weeds people out rather than letting them get higher up and having to take extra years.
>>
>>52437692
> Why does CS involve heavy math

Because it's a study of algorithms and how computers work. Thus you have to understand how a computer processes and stores data, which requires understanding of mathematical concepts.
>>
>>52437818
>calc 2
It's literally integrals, series/sequences and basic 3D/multivariable stuff.

If you have any interest in mathematics at all beyond a layman's, you can pass this course. Wtf?
>>
>>52437727

The problem is people think computer science is synonymous with programming/software engineering. It isn't.
>>
>>52437885
>implying anyone without severe autism and/or aspergers has any interest in math
>>
>>52437356
If it teaches the next generation to diagnose their own computer problems ill be fucking happy.
>>
>Starting something with "so"
Stop
>>
CS is a joke of a major.

CS niggers can't even write in their own languages properly.
>>
>>52437916
It won't, just like how nothing in highschool teaches anybody anything useful.
>>
>>52437143
>women interested in CS
>post pic of woman asking why she should be interested in CS
>>
>>52437915
if you have no interest in math, CS is obviously not for you
>>
>>52437870

Computer science has nothing to do with computers. Computer science == math. Computers (and programming) are used, yes, but they are tools.
>>
>>52437911
Paul hilfinger of Berkeley says it has everything to do with programming.
>>
>>52437911
CS is half theoretical, half programming at most schools.

Since the theory won't get you anywhere except a teaching position after obtaining a masters/doctorate, most people go the programming route and become software engineers.
>>
>>52437915
>le anyone numerate or who has an interest in numeracy is autistic meme
sorry not everyone wants to be a pussy-begging normalfag like you
>>
>>52437983
>CS nerds
>not the ultimate pussy-beggers

No girl anywhere has ever, or will ever find CS an attractive major. It's basically a pussy deflector.
>>
>>52437930
'no'
>>
>>52437967
Having interest is not enough, you have to be good at it too.
>>
>>52438022
>choosing your major based on how women perceive it instead of genuine interest
literally the definition of pussy begging, thanks for proving my point
>>
>tfw physics and philosophy double-major
>tfw helping CS babies with both their writing classes and logic courses for money
>tfw pussy of all kinds
>tfw can get a job at a major IT company before any of you, if I wanted to.
>>
>>52438060
300k starting?
>>
>>52437933
It's a great example of book knowledge vs real knowledge from experience.

I interview CS graduates all the time that have trouble with practical concepts.
>>
>>52437651
>not being gay and top of your CS class
It's like you don't even want beautiful code.
>>
>>52438049
>not choosing your major based on the pussy-pull-prowess meter
Why even go to college if you're not going to do it right?
>>
>>52437803
Calc II is fucking easy peasy compared to modern algebra or topology
>>
>>52437319
this
>>
>>52438121
>modern algebra
Wut? Is this supposed to be abstract algebra.
>>
>>52438110
I'm not an ugly charmless manlet so I don't really need to structure 4 years of my life around women just to get laid.

More power to you if that's what it takes for you to get some.
>>
>>52438121
Real math doesn't have numbers.
>>
>>52438121
Topology is easy peasy compared to philosophy.
>>
>>52438171
>you kant know nuffin. YOU KANT KNOW NUFFIN. AM I BEING PROFOUND YET?
>difficult
Choose one and exclusively one.
>>
>>52438165
lol ok there, jelly permavirgin.
>>
>>52438203
>i have to change my college major just to get women to give me the time of day
must suck to have shit genetics and look like trash desu.
>>
>>52438182
Replying to every question with that meme philosopher doesn't mean it's the only idea that can be entertained.
>>
>>52437972
this baka desu senpai
>>
ITT: People greatly overestimate the average person's intelligence.
>>
>>52437972
>>52438235
I thought computer science was fixing computers and making video games :^)
>>
>>52438227
Who said anything about changing majors? Don't project so hard next time, buddy.
>>
>dismiss uninterested student
Muh soggy knee

>mansplain to uninterested student about how they should be interested
Muh soggy knee
>>
>>52437916
This

>15 year old cousing gets a laptop
>Have to help him get into the WLAN
>Have to install chrome for him because "he needs it" and apparently can't do it on his own
?????
>>
>>52438182
Take an intro-level philosophy class. Try to keep up.
>>
>>52438283
He's not your buddy, pal.

Who's buying me Gold?
>>
>>52437143
Its not anyone's job to convince anyone that any major is worth taking. If you need someone to tell you to do something, you probably shouldn't be doing it because you aren't going to give it your best.
Also fuck non-STEM majors. I swear the majority of them are actually mentally deficient in some aspects.
>>
>>52437143
>I love computers and games
>Therefore I love computer programming
I think the professor said the right thing for ANYONE who pulls that shit.
Your passion to make an indie game almost never gets you through 4 years of a CS degree.
>>
>>52438283
>>52438227
Sheesh, just shut up and fuck already.

Then you'll both lose your virginity.
>>
When did you realize that CS was right for you, /g/?
>>
>>52438313
Buddy, you just keep putting words in my mouth. Or in my fingers? Whatever, anyway just need to relax a little, man, I think you're losing your train of thought.
>>
/g/ sure is full of CS fags, where my CE and EE bros at?
>>
>>52438442

Lol, I swear this is how I imagine most of /g/
>>
>>52438499
Honestly, i know this isn't really CS but it was probably the first time I wrote a simple web-scraping python script that downloaded wallpapers

idk why but the feeling of being able to automate things is really powerful. been hooked ever since
>>
>>52438552
>>
>>52438557
what is cs exactly?
>>
>>52438537
I showed my CS friend how an analog radio worked once. He was fucking amazed.

Mechanical engineers get their minds blown by blinking LEDs
>>
>>52438581
Mathematical study of data structures/algorithms
>>
>>52438577
>/g/ acquires a Twitter account.exe
>>
>>52437356
CS basics should be mandatory for everyone. It's scary to think that we're giving people access to machines which are being used to hold and manipulate all kinds of confidential information and most of them don't know how the damn thing works. That'd be like giving some random guy an airplane and telling him go pilot the bitch when he has no idea how it works at all. The most he knows is that it can go into the sky and get him from point a to point b.

Most of all, we need people to know basic shit about data downloading and uploading and security and privacy because these same liberal arts encompass government majors who are interested in governing stuff. It's scary to think that we have people governing the net who have no idea how the fuck the Internet even works. They just know that if they type some text in the search bar they get to Google. That is not OK.
>>
>>52438605
You mean programming
>>
>>52438624
Mathematical analysis is not programming.
>>
>>52438581
Dijikstra, one of the most famous CS professors in history put it pretty well when he said something along the lines of "Computer Science is just as much about Computers as Astronomy is about Telescopes".

To be more precise, CS is basically an applied maths degree with a focus on the kind of math done on computers.
>>
>>52438605
ah.
>>
>>52438617
>gotta be a mechanic to drive a car
>gotta be a professional chef to use a stove
>gotta be a weapon smith to use a gun
>gotta be an accounting to have a bank account
>gotta be a baker to eat bread
>>
>>52438678
>CS basics
>le poor reading comprehension strawman memes
>>
>>52438237
This. The average person doesn't even make it to college, and of those that do, a good amount of them do non-STEM stuff. Of course the majority of them are going to seem retarded in debate. They have never formally debated, written papers presenting any kind of argument, or taken any logic courses. The most difficult thinking most people ever do is a book report in the 10th grade or maybe a math test in 11th grade algebra. The majority of people are morons.
>>
>>52438678
>owning a car without knowing even the basics of cmbustion engines
you can literally learn how it works in a gif
>professional chef
this one doesn't fit in witht he rest, surely something akin to someone who creates the stove/understands how they function is better suited
>must be a weapon smith to use a gun
I don't think there is anyone who is into firearms who doesn't know how they function
>gotta be an accountant to own a bank account
desu having economic knowledge would avoid you getting jewed hard by the bank
>gotta be a baker to eat bread
>not knowing how to make bread
nice one
>>
File: everyone_is_stupid.jpg (22 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
everyone_is_stupid.jpg
22 KB, 500x376
>>52438758
t. chronic Dunning-Kruger sufferer
>>
>>52438652
Its a part of programming. And programming differentiates CS from the math dept.
>>
>>52438661
Then why call it Computer Science? I for one would not blame people for thinking astronomy was primarily about telescopes if it was called Telescope Science or something similar.
>>
>>52438661
Just wanted to be a code monkey gosh darn it the cunts! I don't care whether a network connection from east to west coast America of a certain throughput takes 1ms or 2ms to cross!
>>
>>52438845
there's a gif which pretty much describes this exact thing
it's an old white guy with a big board with "COMPUTER SCIENCE" written on it
the man then explains how it isn't really about computers, and rubs out the word "COMPUTER" and then explains how it isn't really about science and rubs out the word "SCIENCE"
>>
>>52438678
You don't need to be a mechanic to drive a car, but you should know the basics. Gas, brake, emergency break, hazard lights, signals, etc. You should know how to put gas in your car and why you shouldn't put diesel in there. You should know what the signals on your dashboard mean. You should know how to use the defroster, and you should know why you should keep a windshield scraper on your car if you live in Alaska. You should know how to gauge when the treads gone to shit and you need to replace your tires so you don't blow out while driving.
You don't need to know the physics of how the car works, or how it's built from the ground up, but you really should know how to operate it, maintain it, and why making certain decisions with it is probably not a good idea. For your own sake and everyone elses.

I would be disgusted if someone who learned how a car works made laws which regulated car operation.
Like if someone said "hurr, let's ban people from driving cars during the winter because my retard son died driving in the winter because he couldn't see out the windshield, it's that damn cars fault." Instead of her accepting that her son should have learned how to use the damn defroster.
We have arguments like this concerning technology in legislation all the fucking time.
>>
>>52438845
Computer-oriented Mathematics and Software Engineering? That would remove some of the confusion.
>>
>>52438907
*who never learned how a car works
>>
>>52438908
At Purdue the engineers snicker behind your back if you say youre in software "engineering"
>>
>>52438894
It's from this, the MIT course 'Structure And Interpretation Of Computer Programs'
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of-computer-programs-spring-2005/video-lectures/1a-overview-and-introduction-to-lisp/
>>
>>52438894
If I was in that class I'd probably be thinking it doesn't bode well that these people don't even know what to call their own field.
>>
File: 1445060102192.gif (990 KB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
1445060102192.gif
990 KB, 240x135
>>52438894
>it's an old white guy
>not knowing about based sussman and abelson
is /g/ really this new

wtf
>>
>>52438955
Like I give a toss, as long as I'm making bank putting computer programs together for clients then my 'peers' at Purdue, MIT or Berkeley can crack on with developing /g/'s waifu AIs or whatever new way of enslaving computer users further they can think of.
>>
>>52437818
Lol I enjoyed calc 2, more than multi. Linear was alright too.
>>
>>52439008
it wqas like a 3 second gif man, how am I tto recognis a white guy with the generic linux beard?
>>
>>52439021
Its just their way of letting you know that CS isnt part of the engineering dept. Unlike Berkeley, MIT where cs is part of the EE Dept.
>>
>>52439008
bring back /prog/
>>
>>52439073
Linux beard? Implying LISP hackers care about the virus known as UNIX ( or UNIX clones )
>>
>>52439093
Good for them I suppose? Although technically speaking it is still Engineering because it's formulating an architecture by which something will be constructed.
>>
>>52439146
>only those interested in linux can sport a linux beard
in the same way only homosexuals can be faggots, right?
>>
>>52437143
>I love computers, and I love using (and playing with [read: I LOVE video games]) them: which is why I took this course.

That line angers me most.
>>
>>52439149
I had an argument with one engineering student who said everything i make is virtually constructed and thus not real. Engineers build real things he said.
>>
>>52438166
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_of_the_real_numbers
>>
>>52439207
Because you doubt she truly likes video games or because wanting to take up CS because she like video games?
>>
>>52438367
It's simple af. Basic logic really and simple abstract reasoning.
>>
>>52439219
But software is real, did you tell them that what you make is more likely to impact the lives of more people than whatever concrete cube he comes up with?
>>
File: 2.png (39 KB, 1204x409) Image search: [Google]
2.png
39 KB, 1204x409
These are SOME of my required classes at my school. I also have to pick a minor in my third year, and I will have opportunities for internships. If CS is really a meme, then I guess I'll just go into the military lol.
>>
>le GURRRRRRRL PROGRAMMER dont hit on me silly boyz ;D
>le I'M GONNA MAKE VIDYA GAEMS LULZ xD
>le I'M GONNA BE THE NEXT FUCKERBURG $$$$

Fuck.
Off.

CS is a particular branch of mathematics. Go to a fucking trade school if you want HTML and C#.
>>
>>52438661
CS is a math degree that people too dumb to do math take. Recently calculus and such has been removed to pander to people who like games.
>>
>>52439324
Computer Architecture was my favorite module.
>>
>>52439355
Is calculus really that hard?
>>
>>52437143
>I love gaming
>this makes me perfect for CS
The fucking definition of a normalfag
>>
People who are too dumb to take Philosophy take math.
>>
>>52439219
i've had engineering students say to me that computer science and programming is "just memorization."

most engineering students aren't as bright as they like to think they are. that's why they're engineering students instead of physics or mathematics students. i think they just dump on CS people because they're frustrated that they aren't on top of the food chain
>>
>>52439355
how do you make games without vector calculus
>>
>>52439395
It isn't. But there's lots of dumb and lazy people. Calculus is easy to do as long as you aren't both, but either one is ok.
>>
>>52439437
http://www.depressionquest.com/
>>
>>52439395
not really, and anyone who finds it hard enough to let it shut them out of a degree doesn't deserve to be a CS major
>>
>>52439404
My university actually has a games design course, sort of wish I picked that now because I am a Normalfag and just thought a CS degree was more encompassing than a Game Design degree which is worthless outside of game development which is a pretty small job market by comparison.
>>
>>52439437
You use Unity
>>
>>52439437
Import __pygaming_pyengine__;
>>
>>52437143
I didn't know professors were interested in counter-strike
>>
>>52439369
Cool, have you already graduated?

>>52439355
I still have to take at least Calc 2.
>>
>>52439458
Do game companies prefer game design degrees to CS degrees? Do they even want people with a game design degree?
>>
>>52437249
>XD
leave
>>
>>52437143

Hah, greatest thing I have read in a while and the only worth response to that really.
>>
>>52439477
No, I'm failing my final year unfortunately. Just can't be sodded with it anymore.
>>
>>52439484
Game companies prefer men that have actually made games, or women who have written about other people playing games.
>>
>>52437855
>loves WoW
You're still a freak.
>>
>>52439484
Probably not, I know a girl who did Games Design and she graduated a year ago. No mention of her being in work so far.
>>
>>52439515
Did you just lose motivation in your classes?
>>
>>52437143
>woman asks for emotional reassurement from a man not interested in fucking her
Pretty fucking clueless if you ask me. Everyone knows men communicate to transmit data, unlike women who communicate for muh peer bonds.
>>
>>52439458
I know some people that took a game design course. Unless you've already made large applications in the past, your code will be a giant pile of shit where it's impossible to make the smallest changes without it turning into spaghetti and you wish you have the guts to kill yourself rather than drag out the remainder of the course.
>>
>>52437356
>what are they going to do when only 10% of the students pass?
Blame white privilege.
>>
>>52437692
so you won't be some kind of monkey

math makes you think more than you usually do
>>
>>52439484
Had a friend get hired at blizzard, he was bright but a college drop out. He had to write space invaders in 4 days before the interview and the interview was a code walkthrough of his code. He got hired and was driving an 80k bmw a couple of years later. He of course got burnt out went crazy and found jesus. Hes now at a cult in florida.
>>
>>52439515
why would you pick the final year to start fucking off

at least if you wash out in the beginning you aren't flushing years of your life and thousands of dollars down the drain for nothing whatsoever

suck it up and finish what you started or nobody will respect you
>>
File: TrueDatSenpaiKun.jpg (83 KB, 581x640) Image search: [Google]
TrueDatSenpaiKun.jpg
83 KB, 581x640
>>52438060
>Tfw I know what your writing is complete bullshit
Kill yourself
>>
>>52439576
Yeah, but I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because the way my uni teaches its modules is by reiterating the same stuff over and over every year and just slipping in some new information now and then after I've fallen asleep.

Maybe it's because I did a practical college course on software engineering which (forgive me /g/) is all I really care about, and uni isn't teaching me anything new about it.

Maybe I'm just sick of education and just want to get a job and not be £26,000 in debt.
>>
Basic math for CS:

calc i-iii (analysis is probably not very useful)
some logic, some set theory
combinatorics (incl recurrences and generating functions)
graph theory (planar graphs, bipartite, trees, matching, coloring, algebraic etc.)
probability (basics at least such as distributions and shit and bayes is useful for CS)
linear algebra (subspaces (null and that shit), gaussian, euclidean spaces, linear transforms, the more shit the better)
abstract algebra (lattices, elementary group theory, perhaps some rings and shit)
statistics (at least basics so you will understand anything about your intro to ML, and at least you aren't going to be as retarded as before while arguing politics)
number theory (very basic shit)
numerical analysis (basic shit and thorough understanding of floating point and propagation/cancellation of errors and how to reason about this)
automatas and formal languages
>>
>>52439652
I would just hand the interviewer a UML diagram and say "this is all the code you need to see."
EZ $$$
>>
>>52439656
Oh no I started in the first year, the only reason I'm still in uni is because of extortion.

Couldn't quit in the first year because it already cost me £9,000 and I thought maybe it will get better in the second year, which then put me into £18,000 of debt, now when I am £27,000 in debt and still think my course is shit (No programming what so ever, doing "Web Application Development" in XHTML for Christ sake, not HTML5").

So really, the only motivating factor about my course is the ridiculous amount of money I've already thrown away.
>>
>>52439703
Damn, that sucks. You're best bet would be to finish strong, and at least know that your schooling was somewhat worth it. I hope the best for you bro.

>>52439713
My school only requires up to Calc 2, should I really take 3?
>>
>>52439760
do you go to ITT Tech or something? god damn
>>
>>52439775
3 is easier than 2 and very useful for statistics and probability and optimization

linear algebra is probably more useful though (in general and for linear algebra)
>>
>>52439816
I meant for stats and probability, though linear algebra is very useful for itself too
>>
>merrifats and their not-computer not-science

Here in scandinavia we have glorious Datalogy instead
>>
>>52439868
Are you enjoying datalogy Ahmed?
>>
>>52439775
Thanks man, I'm having a particularly hard time because of exams. On Networking they're quizzing me on Virtual Circuit Network protocols like X.25 which was practically obsolete before I was even born!
>>
>>52439868
Stop posting. Its time to face mecca
>>
>>52439834
Ok, I will consider it after 2, and linear algebra is required too.
>>
>>52439868
here in glorious Norway we have glorious computer science
>>
>>52439728
>UML
le ponytailed libertarian magician man.jpg
>>
>>52439909
Yeah I wish I knew what that was, but good luck lol.
>>
That prof is based af tbqh pham
>>
>>52440066
You don't have too, it's on the same level as COBOL. Basically dead apart from a few obscure uses on systems built in the 1980s that were never replaced.
>>
>>52437598
you've got it all wrong my nigger

women don't want to make the money on their own, they just want to entrap the betas that encompass the CS major because _they_ will end up making money
>>
>>52440119
They give any reasoning to why it was being taught, and I thought UK schools were good...
>>
>>52440164
Not really, the attitude is that the course has been made so deal with it.
If I had to take inspiration from my professors then it is to never keep up to date with modern technology, just stick to whatever works for you as an individual.
>There is a university wide network that all lectures are supposed to use to send information and assesments to students
>Half the computer science school doesn't use it and uses their own obscure internet domains that predate this system
>They hypocritically teach you to use what is available to you and to create for the end users sake, not what you find to be easiest for you.

Real sick of their shit.
>>
>>52439437
You dont really need calculus to make games, but you do need a shit ton of linear algebra and geometry.
>>
>>52440252
That blows, and I guess I'm lucky. Pretty much all of my classes use something called blackboard to display grades and feedback. We also have a CS domain too, which is sometimes used as a file directory for certain classes. We also have the ability to connect to UNIX and Windows servers.
>>
>>52439484
It depends on what part of the game you are working on.

Coding/game logic/UI - software engineers
Modeling/environment - graphics design
>>
>>52437143
>I don't like this course
>I just want to play games and study ART LOL XDD
>Convince me to continue CS
lel.
>>
>>52440455
Yeah ours is called "StudyNet" which includes a unified system for file directory purposes. They still refuse to use it though. Get emails at the start of the semester saying
>We don't use StudyNet, our homepage is at
>karl.hearty.ac.uk/comptah/projekt/thisdirectory/theotherdirectory/probablythehomepage.htm
>>
>>52439462
>>52439466
>not making your own engine
It's as if you're only interested in programming only for the games...

In which case, what are you doing in a thread about CS?
>>>/v/
This is your place, friends.
>>
>>52437580
or teach math
>>
>>52437692
skills from linear algebra will transfer to writing scripts when passing data. You should be able to come up with your own expected result and be able to check this against the computed values.
>>
>>52438807
Theory of computation is what differentiates CS from math. [spoiler]Everything else is math though.[/spoiler]
>>
>>52437143
why are you in CS 101 op?
>>
>>52439455
Games anon, not text adventures.
>>
>>52439455
Finally a game that works on Linux AND is relateable!
>>
>>52439437
by using a gayme engine that abstracts all thought from the process.

duh.
>>
>>52437143

Based prof. How triggered was she?
>>
>>52440623
KEK, I wouldn't be motivated if I was in your situation either.
>>
>>52437745

Unless you're a nigger, in which case welcome to medschool! Bleach is great for curing tummy aches in infants!
>>
People who understand math can do any subject, people who do not understand math are literally retarded. No matter what such person studies or does he/she still gonna be retarded because they simply arent able to reason and apply logical thinking. (majority are niggers and social/african/women students)
>>
>>52437402
I'm in the same boat. In the US, Starting around Halloween is when it's very difficult to get hired and after Thanksgiving it's virtually impossible to get anyone to even talk to you until a little into January. This goes for nearly all industries except for retail and parcel services. Things are starting to pick up though. My phone started ringing off the hook because of calls from recruiters this week after being silent except for a few friends and family members last week.
>>
You'd think for an English major, she'd structure her sentences better. That was atrocious to read.
>>
>>52437143

It's not the professors job to convince people to do CS, he's expecting to be teaching people that are already interested in the field.
>>
>>52439586
dont cut yourself on that edge
>>
>>52437143
Narcissism is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>52438617
Nah fuck off with that shit, last thing we need is more people becoming interested in CS, the field is already crowded enough, also that's analogy makes no sense since nobody's giving people computers and then asking them to do shit they don't know.
>>
in entry level classes most profs are (somewhat rightfully) dismissive of pretty much everyone

70% of guys will drop out not because the material is difficult, but just because they have no real idea of what it actually entails or they don't want to put any effort. out of that 30%, a decent 80% of them will be awful to mediocre and will only scrape by. most will still land (somewhat decent to meh) jobs though. The other twenty percent of that thirty percent are the only people worth having.

Out of girls, this figure is multiplied exponentially. 95/100 girls will drop out, the other four will be mediocre, and occasionally you'll get that amazing 1, but it is damn fucking rare. plus there will be a 6:1 guy to girl ratio
>>
>>52440778
>Theory of computation
Oh, so you mean programming.
>>
>>52437143

They have wife's.
>>
>>52437143
"Dear feminazi:
CS is a retard career. IT Engineers laugh at CS Majors everyday, every hour. If you have even the smallest bit of self-respect stay away from CS"

Sincerely, Anon
>>
>>52443402
All the women I know that are CS majors usually have boyfriends who already has a CS degree doing their work for them.
>>
>>52437319
>>52438149
>liberal arts
>cute subject
>keeps talking about herself for more than half of the e-mail
>shares her tastes and feelings to strangers without previous request

Yeah that's a girl. 100% sure.
>>
>>52443402
I always found that the average quality of girls was about equal to the quality of boys in my department. It's just a girl stands out much more when she gets some beta nerd to do her homework for her, and the actually proficient ones don't really draw much attention to themselves.
>>
>>52437526
on the contrary, CS failures go into engineering

mathematics failures go into CS
>>
>>52444302
I'm in CS and I probably know more math than math majors. Math majors are too busy circlejerking over useless bullshit like abstract algebra while I'm learning cutting edge machine learning and cryptography.
>>
File: Venstres_landsm_de__495687a.jpg (748 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Venstres_landsm_de__495687a.jpg
748 KB, 1500x1000
>>52439920
>>52439899

We are well on our way to a final solution of the sandnigger problem. The anti-immigration party is the second largest and could very well become the largest, also, a messiah has shown herself and is implementing all kinds of hilarious initiatives to discourage refugees from coming or staying here
>>
>>52438518
you are ugly, and you've become a tool
>>
>>52438624
no, if you conflate algorithms, or computational mathematics, or mathematical analysis with programming, then you do not yet have sufficient breadth of knowledge to be an expert on the subject
>>
>>52444315
are you that joker at Swineburn?
>>
>>52444315
I go to MIT, that's the Mathematics Institute of Terra. Come at me.
>>
>>52444429
"oh, you mean programming"
That's Paul Hilfinger's response to people like you who can't understand that all of what you said is part of programming.
>>
>>52439355
Nope, I refuse to believe that. Calculus is absolutely needed to do any sort of useful analysis on algorithms.
>>
>>52444872
Tell me how you would use calculus to prove and give a time bound on Prim's algorithm.
>>
>>52444529
Well if you go down the route of "If it has anything to do with computing theory it's programming" everything starting from boolean algebra and set theory to formal languages and automata are programming.

Let's not go down that sperglord route shell we?
>>
>>52444147
what about former IT people who have been managing corporate SCCM installations since they were 18, then went into CS because of a pure love for the computational mathematics. that's a power combo: a person who knows programming, theory, how enterprise systems are built & managed
>>
>>52444939
as well as how lazy typical IT personnel are. laziness is the mother of invention
>>
>>52444918
I'm not going to go into any sort of depth because I'm lazy but one example is l'Hôpital's rule, which is essential when evaluating the limit of \frac{f(n)}{reference(n)}
>>
>>52444992
What the fuck does that have to do with anything? You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>>52444939
People who know how to manage existing solutions or develop them tend to look down on CS as if they're somehow know fuck all about programming. There's plenty of this type in my Computer Engineering program and most of them don't really understand what CS is actually aimed at and think that CS is basically supposed to be the same as Computer Engineering. At least one of the people who do this used to study CS, but got tired of all the math and switched to my program, which is more practically focused than CS. Even the math is more practically focused, or at least used to be when we shared our math courses with the Chemical Engineering faculty while CS shared their math courses with the pure math department. These days CS, Comp. Eng. and the pure math people all share the same mandatory undergrad math courses.

In reality they're just being complete sperglords and not understanding what CS is really about. Being an idiot like that is unfortunately VERY common in STEM fields as it somehow really seems to draw a lot of that type of people.
>>
>>52445056
If you'd actually learned shit rather than just acted like a complete sperglord you'd know what it has to do with this.

I mean seriously, calculus is found in as a mandatory part of both CS and Comp. Eng. programs.

If you just want to have your code money school, go study Software Engineering or do one of those code boot camp things.
>>
>>52445056
Last I checked, l'Hôpital's rule was part of calculus and checking the limits of \frac{f(n)}{g(n)} is exactly how you can tell if f(n) is o(g(n)) or O/Θ/Ω/ω or whatever.

It was the simplest example I had and I sure as hell am not going to put more effort in than I need to to tell you you're wrong.
>>
>>52443677

Don't try to sound clever when you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>52445135
No you're fucking retarded that's not how big-O works.
>>
I think programming started going down hill about the same time people stared force meming words like "beautiful" and "art" to describe code.

Fuck all of you who do that, i'm not even joking
>>
>>52445135
>or whatever
>I need to tell you you're wrong
get out, the adults are talking
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (25 KB, 494x371) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
25 KB, 494x371
>>52445178
>Get pointed out that you don't know what you're talking about
>"No you're fucking retarded that's not how big-O works."
>>
>>52444924
It's funny that you called one of the greatest programmers and UC Berkeley faculty a "sperg"

https://youtu.be/giQcUCSSsus?list=PL-XXv-cvA_iC9x0nmh5OZyxljQU6pUWWk&t=107
>>
>>52445218
You don't need to use limits to prove time complexity, much less l'Hospital's rule. You can literally do it with 4th grade algebra.
>>
Programming and mathematics are essenitally the same thing. What do I mean by that? Well, I can't be fucking arsed to explain myself, because it's so glaringly obvious how.
>>
>>52437143
>claims to love computers
>hurr why is CS important

Does she think her precious video games and the underlying software they depend on just pop into existence out of nothing?
>>
File: Jerry_Sussman copy.jpg (21 KB, 206x300) Image search: [Google]
Jerry_Sussman copy.jpg
21 KB, 206x300
>>52445244
well, that's true, at least. I can see you're a man who's read his SICP
>>
>leave the money argument to the business major

Typical leftist generalization
>>
>>52437692
because programming is literally just applied pure mathematics.

I know you won't, but if you ever pick up a book on symbolic logic (a math field), you'd be surprised how much you might understand if you are already familiar with a couple different programming languages.
>>
>>52445178
Enlighten me please because the textbook definitions for these algorithmic classes are:
\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{f(n)}{g(n)} = 0 \Rightarrow f(n) = o(g(n))
\exists k < \infty with \frac{f(n)}{g(n)} \leq k \forall sufficiently large n \Rightarrow f(n) = O(g(n))
\exists k_1, k_2 with k_1 > 0 and k_2 < \infty and k_1 \leq \frac{f(n)}{g(n)} \leq k_2 \forall sufficiently large n \Rightarrow f(n) = \Theta(g(n))
\exists k > 0 with \frac{f(n)}{g(n)} \geq k \forall sufficiently large n \Rightarrow f(n) = \Omega(g(n))
\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{f(n)}{g(n)} = \infty \Rightarrow f(n) = \omega(g(n))
>>
>>52445135
Checking the limits is not something part of the problem. Time complexity proofs for algorithms already assume the basic foundations of big-O. You do not start off every proof with
>under l'Hospital's rule clogn where c is any constant is O(logn).
That's fucking retarded. By that logic you need to know ZFC set theory in any proof that requires the addition of two numbers.
>>
>>52445317
Who cares about money. The government will support me while I do whatever I love.

Protip: I love niggers and having interracial babies ;)
>>
>>52445317
for rizzle my nizzle.

i'm a CS major and i don't just leave money on the table like some cuckhold
>>
>>52438358
Show him how to use google and he'll fuck off anon
>>
>>52445363
>using theorems without understanding how and why they work
>>
>>52445383
got a point there. idealistically you're right, but practically, you gotta understand that most of the time people only want to know what they need to know
>>
>>52445355
I have no idea how to read the LaTeX crap you spewed out. It doesn't even compile correctly.

The textbook definition of big-O is that a function f(x) is in O(g(x)) if for constants c and M, for all x >= c, f(x) <= M*g(x).

Nowhere does it say anything about limits.
>>
I see she's already well indoctrinated into the liberal ideology that business majors are evil monsters who only care about money. God forbid that some people honestly enjoy managing and building successful businesses and actually contributing to the national and global economy.
>>
>>52442121
cs is not crowded at all. Unless you consider SE and code monkeys to be part of CS.
>>
>>52445420
What parts of CS not crowded?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.