[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
since last pass is now owned by logmein and they cant be trusted,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: 52770-lastpass-box.jpg (34 KB, 500x83) Image search: [Google]
52770-lastpass-box.jpg
34 KB, 500x83
since last pass is now owned by logmein and they cant be trusted, what password manager alternatives are there?

anyone familiar with keepass?
>>
>last pass is now owned by logmein and they cant be trusted

elaborate
>>
>>52285879
you don't trust it because it's owned by logmein? not because the service is shit?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#2015_security_breach
>>
Why the fuck is everyone not using KeePass? Yes, it's local storage only but if you futz around with dropbox or whatever you CAN sync it if you're so inclined. Personally I don't, I trade a little bit of convenience for the comfort of knowing my database is not stored in the cloud.
>>
>>52285879
If you were using LastPass already, then you didn't care about security/privacy anyways, anon.
>>
>>52287581
why I should?
Linux/BSD give me more options to encrypt my passwords then an extra programm like keepass m8
>>
>>52289092
Because some people care about cross-platform.

>>52287581
I use a shell script + udev rules to automatically sync my db to my phone and a flash drive whenever they're plugged in.
>>
>there are people on /g/ too stupid to memorize their own passwords
brainlets, please leave
>>
>>52285879
>save website passwords in browser
>save other passwords in .txt in encrypted container

it's not that hard.
>>
>>52289201
>there are people on /g/ so stupid that they're using passwords that can be memorized

If you can memorize it, it's not secure enough tb.h family
>>
>>52289201
lol obvious bait
>>
I memorize one super-20-length-passord through which I access my keepass database where there are several other 20-length passwords.
Is this how it's supposed to be done?
>>
>>52285879
1Password. Yes, it's expensive but it's a one time buy and "just works". You can sync your vault to Dropbox or over your Wi-Fi as well. Has a built in password generator just like LastPass and browser extensions too.
>>
>not using keepass
>not storing keepass DB on a server with an encrypted filesystem
>not using sshfs to mount the server from your device and access passwords as needed

stay pleb son
>>
>>52289362
Not true. I can memorize some pretty long and arbitrary passwords.

The problem with not either pre-hashing or using a password manager is that you can't memorize ENOUGH decently-secure passwords that aren't related to eachother so once plaintext or improperly-encrypted dumps get several of your passwords attached to your email/username, your accounts on other services become vulnerable.
>>
>>52289436
Sounds ok to me anon. Throw a key file on a usb and optical disk if you're paranoid.
>>
>>52285879
>what password manager alternatives are there

how about your fucking brain
>>
Keepass2 + Syncthing
>>
>>52286475
same goes for KeePass my friend
https://github.com/denandz/KeeFarce
>>
>>52289362
>>52289366
>memorizing a 12+ character passphrase is hard
wew lad
>>
>>52289572
>I only use a few relatively weak passwords for all the things

>>52289769
Memorizing a few decently long passwords isn't hard. It gets hard when you've got 20+ services that all have unique 30+ character passwords.
>>
>>52289856
>30+ character passwords
That's overkill, around 16 characters is more than enough.
>>
>>52289769
>He fell for the passphrase meme
>>
>>52285879

pen and paper
>>
>>52289878
Are you claiming you've memorized unique 16 char passwords for all the services you use?
>>
>>52289878
Maybe but the fact is, it's difficult to remember a lot of unique passwords, especially the ones you rarely use.
>>
>>52289856
>>52289959
How and why would you get to 20+ services? I only have a small handful of sites I use that I require a password for.
>>
>>52289722
>expecting any kind of security on windoz
>>
>>52289769
Please don't tell me you use the same password for every site.
>>
>>52290089
Fuck no. I use a personal password algorithm and change it per site.
>>
>>52290089
I do
I don't give a fuck
>>
Pen and paper safest way
>>
>>52289722
If your system is compromised, you can't really expect security.

>>52290034
>email accounts
>forums
>games
>paypal
>a lot of shops
>education
>video/audio streaming
>most file uploading services (dropbox, mega, etc.)
>local computer password
>VPN/VNC connections
>vps/webhosting/dedicated servers
>domain registration
>backup tools
the list goes on
>>
>>52290219
i hope you don't really believe that.
>>
>>52290497
Fold the paper 3 to 4 times and hide it some where safe the get another paper (same pen) and write down where you left the first paper
>>
>>52290550
>FBI raid
>find first paper
>find second paper
>got all your passwords
>>
>>52290600
Checkmate
>>
keepass with db stored on micro SD i keep inside my always-offline tablet I use to read comics. Mostly just memory/trial and error tho
>>
>>52290600
When I think of password security, I don't normally consider a random FBI raid into my house. If anything, some random nigger breaks into my house and steals my computer, without the papers, because he's only interested in selling it for money
>>
Anyone tried Keeper ? Using it for months now and works perfectly without flaws. Just strange why no one mentions it
>>
>>52290600

if the FBI has access to your house/PC they won't need the paper, you pedophile
>>
>using single password to protect all of your passwords
are you guys autistic or what.
>>
>>52289188
You're actually clever thumbsup.gif
>>
any FOSS alternatives to LastPass?

Keepass is ugly
>>
File: Kornheiser_Why.jpg (23 KB, 288x499) Image search: [Google]
Kornheiser_Why.jpg
23 KB, 288x499
>there are people in this thread that think its good to use one password for all sites.
>>
>>52287581
If I have to do a single copy paste to log in. Then the software/service is shit.

With lastpass it works like this:
>load page
>logged in

Is there any keepass set up that allow this?
>>
Anyone else's Keefox broken on Nightly?
>>
File: 1451312268854.jpg (22 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1451312268854.jpg
22 KB, 256x256
>>52287581
> Why the fuck is everyone not using [thing]? Yes, [it lacks a cardinal feature which renders it a gigantic hassle to use] but if you [jump through a bunch of unnecessary hoops] you CAN [make it do something that it should have been doing in the first place]

FOSS advocates, ladies and gentleman.
>>
>>52286322
hes saying he expects logmein to go full jew again and after promising it will always be free, turn around and charge money for it.

basically look at how they handled hamachi if you want to know why logmein is shit.
>>
>>52285879
your fucking brain.
>>
File: 4chan (4).jpg (37 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
4chan (4).jpg
37 KB, 400x533
Why the fuck would anyone use a password manager?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.