[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which printer should I get?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
I torrent programming and mathematics textbooks and print them off at a local print shop but that still costs me quite a bit. So I'm planning on getting a printer that uses little to no ink and just printing them off myself, hole punching them and binding them so that the only real cost is the actual paper.

Why type of printer is best suited to this type of job? The pages are just black and white so I was planning on getting a laser printer but apparently those bitches still take some kind of ink.
>>
thermal printer
>>
are you a retard ? how do you plan on printing without ink ?

laser + offbrand toner refills would be the cheapest route.
>>
>>52205389
>>52205380

That's what I assumed laser printing was; a laser burning the thermal paper. But I can't find any thermal printers for consumers, its either for receipts or large scale industrial ones.
>>
>>52205432
you're a retard.

Lets see...

>coating the entire page with special thermal chemical
or
>only applying toner to where the text/image is

also thermal paper sucks donkey dick when it comes to lasting more than few months.
Moisture fucks it up, it fades like mad.

Just get a laser printer + cheap toner.

Toner is fucking cheap as fuck, you can get carts that will yield like ~2,500 pages depending on your printer.
>>
>>52205519

>you're a retard
>sucks donkey dick
>fucking cheap as fuck

Are you 12?

Thanks for the advice, I'll just get off brand ink for my current inkjet
>>
>>52205559
Check the yields of the ink.
Typically speaking ink is more costly/lower yields than toner.
If you really do plan on printing a lot a mono laser might make more sense than an ink jet
>>
>>52205367
Laser printers secretly print an ID on each page they print https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sit6zUQKpJc
>>
>>52205367
Why do you have to print out your text books? Just get a cheapish tablet like a kindle fire, or something Asus for a 10" tablet.
>>
>>52205619
This is known, I think the eff has a list of printers that do this. On the flip side to this has there every been a recorded instance where this was used or just general paranoia?
>>
>>52205367
Get a laser printer.

Inkjets end up costing about 15-20 cents a page while laser printers cost about 4-5 cents a page.

The laser printer basically pays for itself after you need to buy ink one time for an inkjet.

Source: I'm a desktop support tech and I throw away inkjet printers for stupid departments that keep buying them for themselves.
>>
My Samsung ML-2525W is a beast. Best printer I've ever owned. A simple firmware mod and you can refill the cart until it craps the bed. I usually refill 3-4 times before the prints start getting shitty
>>
>>52205367
Printer in OP is great.
>>
Buy a business laser printer used from your local pc recycler. Check it's toner prices first, but often the bigger older heavier printers will cost you less per page.
>>
We buy HP compatible ink for $8.50/Liter, for the office printer.
Do you know how many pages you can print with 1000cc? A heck of a lot, more than most people would print for the lifetime of their consumer printers.

Hell they even come in 1 gallon jugs. We buy 70gsm Double A paper in 2500 page boxes and people print random shit all the freaking time and we still only order 1000cc ink once or twice an year.

We have a HP 4610 AIO with external ink tanks running 500+ pages every month doing copy and fax duty too.

We're thinking of upgrading to a Brother MFC-J3720 for A3 prints since the supersize refillable ink carts means no mods needed
>>
>>52210437
Sounds like this guy is onto something.

Refillable ink tanks seems like the cheapest option in the long run.
Laser toner cartridges can be expensive.

I've got a Canon Pixma MP540 that I never use, and if I start it up now I'll bet all the tanks read as "empty", because that stuff dries up.

My workplace lets me print the stuff I need, but of course we're not talking ages worth of pages.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.