[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a Notepad replacer just as good as Notepad++? Or am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: notepad.png (7 KB, 212x153) Image search: [Google]
notepad.png
7 KB, 212x153
Is there a Notepad replacer just as good as Notepad++? Or am I going to have to install Notepad++?
>>
>>52191108
Install gentoo, what the fuck are you using windows for that is not gaymen?
>>
>>52191128
>>Install gentoo, what the fuck are you using windows for that is not gaymen?

Editing small files that can't be properly viewed in the default notepad? No need to be so hostile.
>>
>>52191108
I really like Sublime Text, version 3 is in its beta currently, give it a shot
>>
geany
>>
>>52191108
>emacs
>github atom
>microsoft visual studio code (see: github atom)
>>
>>52191174
>>52191194
These are a little too large in scale for me. I'm not going to be doing any programming, just editing the usual configuration files and whatnot. I would use the default Windows Notepad but it cannot display most files, and Wordpad feels counterintuitive.
>>
>>52191108
http://alternativeto.net/software/notepad-plus-plus/?license=free&platform=windows

Take a pick.
>>
>>52191239
Then fucking use Notepad++
>>
>>52191108
np++ is pretty the the pinnacle of free winblows text editors.

Now, if you're willing to shell out $70 then I'd consider Sublime Text 3 to the absolute tits.

>runs flawlessly, natively, on every platform
>drag-off tabs
>lightweight in comparison to shit like Atom or an IDE. It's about the same RAM usage as Gedit or Kwrite
>plugins and extensions by the zillions for free and, most importantly, hassle-free installation using a package manager
>very sleek themes available
>straight-forward config (no restart required, simply save the config file and changes take effect immediately)
>excellent find/replace
>excellent multi-cursor
>excellent block movement
>in love with Vi/Vim? No problem, ST3 provides a Vi mode

$70 to develop a tool that you use all day every day? Yes, I spent that money.
I've used Gedit, Kwrite, VS, KDevelop, Geany, Scite, np++, Bluefish, Atom, and Limetext. None of them are as good as ST3 and none of them provide all the features.
>>
>>52191163
>No need to be so hostile.

Are you new? We are always rude and hostile here. I don't mean anything by it. Notepad++ is the best windows text editor. You might want to learn something like Sublime Text if you do any coding and so on.
>>
>>52191282
>Atom is a desktop application built with HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and Node.js integration. It runs on Electron, a framework for building cross platform apps using web technologies.
Should I be worried? JS for desktop applications seems silly.
>>
>>52191108
Sublime Text.
And you'll regret not having dropped Notepad++ the first time it completely destroys a file of yours beyond recovery.
Which it does any time you have less disk space than what it requires to save, it makes no checks whatsoever and instead overwrites your file to an empty one.
>>
>>52191239
NP++ was literally created for the purpose you describe.
What can't you do with it that you want to?
>>
>>52191434
It's actually pretty nice. The JS stuff is mostly just for themes, which are pretty neat (themes work kinda just like themeing a web page, and there's tons of them).
If you don't like it, Visual Studio Code is pretty much the same thing but rebuilt to be more Microsoft centric.
>>
>>52191516
Source? And when the fuck are you working with files larger than the space you have left? Nigga, get a 1TB drive or something.
>>
sublime text is better than notepad++

fight me irl
>>
Try vim.
>>
File: shitposters on 4chan.jpg (88 KB, 994x366) Image search: [Google]
shitposters on 4chan.jpg
88 KB, 994x366
>>52191163
>No need to be so hostile.
welcome to 4chan
>>
>>52191553
>Source?
Personal experience followed by actually testing it out to verify it.
If you have a file open and saving it exceeds your available disk space it will instead wipe your file and save it as an empty one.
Any program acting like that is fucking retarded.
>>
>>52191516
>>52191607
have you reported it as a bug already
>>
>>52191607
Well then, I guess you better get off that 16GB HDD of yours.
>>
>>52191619
Nope, I wouldn't bother with it either considering what a cunt Don Ho is.
>>
>>52191239
Sublime is pretty light, at 30MB of RAM, loads up fast, looks nicer than NP++, and has more features out of the box.

I used NP++ for a long time too, but honestly, there's no reason to, when Sublime is just better in every way. Sure, it's supposed to be paid, but you can just continuously use it for free if you don't want to, no one is going to charge you or lock it.

There's just no reason to use Notepad++. Plus, they're going the way of loads of other software companies, and are starting to inject politics into their users for no reason whatsoever. That shit just makes my blood boil. Why can't people separate things? Why does everything have to conform to your beliefs? Honestly, fuck Notepad++. That shit has been stuck in the 1990s for quite a long time now, anyway, who gives a shit anymore
>>
>/g/ actually suggesting sublime text

Oh how the mighty have fallen from their holy perch...
>>
>>52191530
but it's not free as in freedom!
>>
File: 1431414473876.png (31 KB, 1383x392) Image search: [Google]
1431414473876.png
31 KB, 1383x392
hurr
>>
>>52191729
>using cuckware just for the sake of being opensource
Look, I praise open source as much as the next guy, but you have to be able to distinguish when something is just plain shit.

If you want a good text editor on Windows, there's no better than Sublime. That's a fact. If open source is a big matter to you, just pick whatever else fits your needs.

Fact is, NP++ has been a pile of shit compared to Sublime, for a good while now. And I doubt OP is the kind of guy to care about open source and FOSS, he just came here for a quick suggestion and wants something that works well without hassle. Sublime is what OP is looking for.
>>
>>52191780
>If you want to be a good redditor on Windows, there's no better than Sublime
FTFY.

The best editor on Windows is Visual Studio. If you want a simple text editor, the simple text editor version of Visual Studio is as good as you're going to get. And, hey look, it's FOSS too!

The only people who actually use Sublime are hipsterfags who care more about what other people think of them then actually being productive.
>>
>>52191730
You're using windows...
>>
>>52191819
>Sublime are hipsterfags who care more about what other people think of them then actually being productive.
See, this is how I know you never even used it.

If you learned Sublime, you'd know that it's actually pretty powerful in the right hands, which leads to it becoming a very productive environment.

I don't speak for myself, I haven't used it for long enough to be that good, but Sublime can in fact be extremely productive.

Also, nice ad hominem there, you totally BTFO me by saying I'm from reddit, simply epic
>>
File: mempade.png (38 KB, 678x427) Image search: [Google]
mempade.png
38 KB, 678x427
Is there a decent free lightweight notepad that has a tree structure view?
Pic related.

I tried a bunch of them and none had GUI scaling support.
>>
Notepad++ is open source, lightweight, and has some good features. I use it myself on Windows, even though I prefer Vim on other OSes.
>>
Sublime is good, yes, but you have to pirate it (LOL SPYWARE) and it rarely gets updates or improvements.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-02+at+04.05.54).png (29 KB, 661x417) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-02+at+04.05.54).png
29 KB, 661x417
>>52191935
>but you have to pirate it (LOL SPYWARE)
>lying on the internet
>>
>>52191934
This. Notepad++ on Winkek, Neovim everywhere else.
>>
>>52191965
ST3:
http://www.sublimetext.com/3

>I use ST3 for work and at home -- absolutely no problems whatsoever despite it being "beta"
>>
Is there a free as in freedom cross platform alternative?

Again. Mostly just for simple editing. Not programming.
>>
>>52192241
Nope. Closest you're going to get is vim.
>>
>>52192241
GNU Emacs
>>
>>52192241
Geany.
>>
>>52191868
wut? no I'm not!
>>
>>52191108
>http://www.pspad.com/en/
Try that.
>>
>>52192241
In the open source world, "cross platform" software generally focuses first and foremost on Linux and Unix, with Mac and Windows ports being done later if at all. The most popular cross platform editors are therefore Vim and Emacs, which are enormous bloated pig whales by the old standards of 1980s Unix systems, but lightweight and snappy on modern hardware.
>>
For a forum that obsesses over open source software people are surprisingly eager to recommend Sublime Text.
>>
>>52191927
Your looking for a outliner, and there is a shitload of them. Couple of them on this page.
>http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=93
>>
>>52191128
Fuck off with ur Linux low energy low capability cuck os
>>
File: 2313123.png (110 KB, 1296x624) Image search: [Google]
2313123.png
110 KB, 1296x624
I reinstalled Firefox and now 4chanX is broken. I checked every single options between the chromium and the firefox one and I still can't fix the pic problem. I have the ccd0 version. What am I supposed to do?
>>
>>52192370
Shit, wrong thread.
>>
>>52192339
I'd be using Limetext if it had what Sublime does. See >>52191393
>>
>>52192340
I tried pretty much all of those and more.
TheGuide is the best of that bunch, but it still doesn't have GUI scaling.
>>
>>52191108

Notepad is still my goto, on windows, but I like atom, it runs on most if not all platforms. I'm not a big fan of sublime, but there are quite a few people who swear by it, so take that with a grain of salt. Ultraedit also gets high-marks by a lot of people.

If you're on *NIX, KATE and gedit are 'ok', if you need GUI, otherwise I'd stick with vim.
>>
>>52192370
>using firecucks
>>
>>52193118
>using a browser
>>
>>52193299
ok mr stallman
>>
>>52191516
>Paying 70 bucks for you're stupidity...
>>
>>52191730
yes it is
>>
>>52194344

>his hard drive is so full of animu he can't even set aside 778k for some fucking text
>>
>>52191108
OP just use emacs and get over it.
>>
>>52191551
The JS thing is also because they're blind followers of what's trendy
>>
>>52191393
Just use Vim
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.