[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do people still torrent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: torrent.png (68 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
torrent.png
68 KB, 512x512
Earlier I realized that I haven't torrented anything in over a year. I no longer need to now that I have HBO Go, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pandora, etc. It seems like the industries have finally adapted to the internet well enough that the normal, apathetic consumer such as myself finds it more convenient to simply pay for a service than it is to pirate content now.
Looking at the Pirate Bay's top 100 list, it seems like the number of seeds has dropped significantly from a few years ago. Is this a good indicator of a decline in torrent users, or is TPB just a shit site that people have moved on from now?
>>
File: image_1.jpg (84 KB, 639x756) Image search: [Google]
image_1.jpg
84 KB, 639x756
I don't. Haven't torrented a thing in over a year. I just don't really need anything right now. I have over 50 movies and over 30 tv show collections. My laptop isn't that great so I can't play many vydias so I have very few games to play.

I'll probably switch over to netflix soon and watch more tv shows or something.
>>
I torrent every day. Paid streaming is for normies and cuckolds.
>>
A lot of people have moved on from TPB. Another reason is that a lot of people who torrent don't seed unless it is a private tracker. Private trackers are pretty active and /g/ has a general for them. I personally torrent music and documentaries. Sometimes Netflix doesn't have what I want but, for the most time I am content.
>>
Yes. >>>/g/ptg/

Private trackers have infinitely more media content than a streamable service such as Netflix could provide.

More specific products like games are also still downloaded, obviously.
>>
>>52159029
Still download a lot and save the money to buy actual products
>>
>>52159276
>>52159292
samefag
>>
>>52159311
Yeah I deleted the first reply because I fucked the link, well done you absolute genius how on earth did you piece those clues together
>>
File: laura.jpg (33 KB, 377x400) Image search: [Google]
laura.jpg
33 KB, 377x400
Yes, every day. I don't enjoy paying for stuff I can get for free and in better quality and variety.
>>
I have Netflix and I still torrent gigabytes per month
There is so little content on Netflix it's almost bothering me why I still pay for it
>>
I torrenting lot. I found pretty well site call What.cd (that's the url lmao). The site called What and has every song. The way to get in is interview. Was very very really difficult. I pass third time! But reccomendationed. You sign up today!

Like 2 million song!!! No virus. Great quality. && anothrr great site u no need virtual private network service is IPTORRRENTS.COM its really great 2. Has all movie in top quality and fastest connection and many size and 100% quality. Much gooder then YIFY LOL. Come join. No more waste money on HBO NOW AMAZON PRIME && HULU
>>
I torrent all the time. I keep a LAN music server running so I can save latency when I play online, and because its easier than syncing across devices.

I also torrent old games or games I need to try (I needed to try out CSGO before I buy given my lower end computer)
>>
>>52159334
Kek
>>
>>52159029
I only torrent couple ongoing tv series, some anime. Sometimes a movie, also books. I dont see why I should pay for a subscription just so I can watch one tv series in shitty quality (streaming) and often using some broken drm player.
>>
I download gentoo from TPB and installed it. Now my pc's screen flickering. Help please? AVG says its virus but must pay to remove. wtf?
>>
File: 1437665101612.jpg (201 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
1437665101612.jpg
201 KB, 618x800
>tfw the only person seeding public
>>
>>52159442
What show is that from? I want to watch. Also where the Sam Hill do you get all these anime dolls? Are you like screen shotting?
>>
>>52159442
I seed 20:0 on public
I have the bandwidth anyway
>>
>mfw I've never torrented before
I don't really see the need for it. I don't watch movies or shows and listen to any music I want on Soundcloud or I just download the MP3 files and move them to my phone. Not even games either, I play regularly with a group of friends on Xbox.
>>
>>52159294
It's like $30/month for all of those services. Do you have a job?
>>
>>52159029
i still torrent, because i want to actually own my content, without DRM, having to be online etc.
my collection is 39T and growing
>>
I torrent all day every day and I'm not signed to any private tracker.

I get my stuff from kat.cr and tpb.
I also seed, but usually to the ratio of 10:1 and 20:1 on the REALLY popular stuff.

Stop being a good goy.
Don't pay for something you can get for free in better quality.
>>
Movies and TV torrenting has died down, but everything else has gone up.
>>
I torrent.
And I leech.
>>
>>52159370
sir..... send invite pls... sir
>>
>>52159370
This sounds like spam...
>>
>>52159029
If you are out of touch enough to still use TPB your opinion on any of this is just irrelevant because you are a dinosaur.
>>
Downloading copious amounts of files a day is my calling. I know no other way of life. We will see who wins in the end when those streaming services are gone and the internet tubes are squeezed to a trickle. Gotta have anime to watch in my bunker.
>>
>>52159697
hbo go is 7 if it remember right, netflix is 7, amazon is 80, pandora is fuck knows, but all the god damn time shit i want isn't on the things i pay for.

im not given a whole lot of choice other than to pirate, or possibly get scammed on ebay.

>>52159227
if the streaming gave me everything, i would say its ok, but it doesnt... i only use the ones i got just to mitigate the risk of more notices for bigger name things.

>>52159337
i care about disc space on videos, as i have a 24 inch 1920x1200 screen, and i'm typically about 7-8 feet away if i'm watching a movie laying on my bed, i doubt i would notice a hole lot of difference between 480 and 720p at that distance, so streaming isn't an issue quality wise.
>>
>>52159029
>implying torrenting is only for pirating
torrenting > http downloading
>>
>>52159370
Seems legit.
>>
File: 1446834548041.jpg (9 KB, 296x321) Image search: [Google]
1446834548041.jpg
9 KB, 296x321
>>52159991
>not torrenting with a WebSeed
>>
>>52159029
I'll pirate things until Audible offers DRM-free audiobooks.
>>
>>52159973
Amazon is like $80 for an entire year you poor fuck
>>
>>52160129
yea, the only reason i have it is because of free shiping, the streaming itself is god damn worthless.
>>
>>52160016
The point of torrents in my situation is that there often even isn't an http download at all, or it's a shitty non-direct one like from a "filehost" (as opposed to a plain file server)
>>
>>52160159
Plus you know, torrents are always faster than shitty throttled downloads from a sluggish central server.
>>
File: 1449855100800.jpg (39 KB, 696x720) Image search: [Google]
1449855100800.jpg
39 KB, 696x720
>>52159029
How else would I get my anime?
>>
>>52159029
why taking the risk?
never used torrent, kazaa or whatever that was called back in the days when there are alternatives like xdcc.

I guess using torrent and living with the risk is like a tax for being lazy and stupid.
to each his own.
>>
yeah, VOD is becoming more and more comfy over time
you just turn on the app, find the film you want and watch it
no bullshit with seeders, YIFY qualities etc
>>
>>52159029

Torrents are the best way to move huge files over the internet.
>>
>>52162139
>VOD is becoming more and more comfy over time

Less and less comfy for me, actually. I feels like Netflix keeps losing shows.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.