[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your tagging/folder scheme for music /g/? Is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
What's your tagging/folder scheme for music /g/? Is this where your full blown autism comes in?
>>
01. Song title.mp3

artist > artist - album (year) (format)
>>
## - Artist - Title.extension
>>
i have one folder called 'assorted'. it has audio files of mixed formats, genres, artists and bitrates with no naming scheme and often incorrect names, and many of my audio files have no metadata. i then listen to the entire folder on shuffle in VLC
>>
Album Artist
- Album (Date Released)
- ## Title.Format
- cover.png

I run each album through TagScanner first to make sure it's tagged right and has the right cover art. I have about 200GB of just music. Why yes, I do frequent /mu/.
>>
Album Artist/Album (2008)/1.01 - Artist - Title.flac
>>
>>52117352

Bpm
>>
Album Artist/Year-Album/##-Song.mp3
>>
>>52117539
This.
>>
artist/[XXXX.XX.XX]album/
for folders.

Might do singles/ albums/ compilations/ if there's lots.
>>
Artist/Year - Album/## - Title.file extension
>>
I unironically pay $5 per month to use Spotify and not deal with this shit
>>
Artist/Year - Album/01 - Track Title.flac
If it's a multi-disc release I add a CD# folder in the Album folder, in which case I modify the track number to be #.01 in the song labels.
Everything is .flac, except for my portable music player in which I exclusively use .mp3 v0.
>>
Music folders sorted into artist then album. I use software to give proper tags and cover art to all my music files. I don't give a shit about file names though.
>>
>>52117352
$puts(filename,[Disc %discnumber% - ][%track number% - ]$if($or($strcmp(%compilation album%,'Various'),$strcmp(%compilation album%,'Genre')),$if2(%content group%,)$if($and(%content group%,%original album%), ,)$if(%original album%,'['%original album%']',)$if($or(%content group%,%original album%), - ,),)[[$meta(artist)]$if($and($meta(artist),$or(%composer%,%original artist%)), ,)['('%composer%')']$if($and(%composer%,%original artist%), ,)['['%original artist%']'] - ]%title%[ '['%original title%']'][ '('%subtitle%')'][ '{'%instrument set%'}'])$puts(albumname,%album%[ '('$meta(album artist)')']'\'[%album variant%])$if(%compilation album%,$if($strcmp(%compilation album%,'Various'),'Compilation Albums\'$get(albumname)'\'$get(filename),$if($strcmp(%compilation album%,'Genre'),'Genres\'$if2(%genre%,Unknown)'\Compilation Albums\'$get(albumname)'\'$get(filename),'Genres\'$if2(%genre%,Unknown)'\Remix Albums\'%content group%'\'%content group%' Series\'$get(albumname)'\'$get(filename))),'Genres\'$if2(%genre%,Unknown)'\'$if(%album%,$if(%original album%,'Remix Albums\'[%content group%'\']%original album%$if($strcmp(%content group%,%original album%), Series,)'\'$get(albumname)'\','OSTs\'[%content group%'\']$get(albumname)'\'),$if(%original album%,'Remixes\'[%content group%'\']%original album%$if($strcmp(%content group%,%original album%), Series,)'\','Singles\'[%content group%'\']))$get(filename))

Long story short, my file/folder auto-arrange is pretty autistic and I use a lot of tags.
>>
>>52117646
this
>>
>>52117352
~/mus/all
most of music. no directories just files. contains like 23k
~/mus/*
shit i haven't moved to ~/mus/all yet
>>
>>52117646
>>52118181
You'd rather pay for access to your music through a service that controls when, where and how you use it, can remove your favourite songs at any moment and can collect data on when, where and how you listen, just so you don't have to manage a local music collection, even though there are dozens of free programs that can manage one automatically?
>>
>>52117352
I put it in iTunes and let that sort out the details.
>>
>>52117352

> > > Artist name (folder)
> > Artist name - Album name (folder)
> 01. Song 1.ext
> 02. Song 2.ext
>>
>>52118679
>artist name on album folder

You're an idiot.
>>
>>52119117
I want to copy an album to my phone, not th entire discography. Somethime I write artist's name on the file as well.
>>
01. Song (feat. Artist).ext
/Music/Artist - year - Album
>>
Music Folder -> Artist Name -> Album -> files
Don't care what the files are titled, too many to be fucked with renaming them.
>>
$replace(%codec%,Monkey''s Audio,APE)/%album artist%/[%date% ]%album%/[%disc%-][%track% ]%title%
>>
I don't even listen to music much anymore. I haven't downloaded any songs in at least 5 years and I have no music saved on my phone or any of my computers. I just listen to NPR on the radio when I'm driving. I don't understand the "omg music is my life" people at all.
>>
$artist/$year - $album/$num $artist - $track.$extension
>>
In my Audio folder I currently have 8 subfolders.
Anime (anime OSTs)
Dojin
Everything Else (If it does not fit into any other folder, it belongs here.)
Game OSTs
METAL (All caps to emphasize brutality)
Non Music
Streams (links to streams saved in .txt files)
Vaporwave

For anime and vidya OSTs:
Series/[YYYY.MM.DD] Album/##. Title

For everything else.
Album Artist/[YYYY.MM.DD] Album/##. Title

For multi-disc releases, the track filename is:
discno.##. Title
>>
Artist - Title.extension
>>
File: pc.jpg (2 MB, 3408x2214) Image search: [Google]
pc.jpg
2 MB, 3408x2214
>>52117352
i keep it real simple
Known to cause some problems with albums that share the same name but a different artist.

/music/album/song_name.flac

Navigating around my music folder would be a lot easier if I had separate folders for artists but ctrl+f works just fine in foobar so no need really
>>
Artist / album / track no / Title / duration / extension / bitrate
>>
>Music
>>[First Letter of Artist]
>>>[Artist]
>>>>[Album]
>>>>>[Song1, ...]
>>
>>52119470
If I go without music for a few days I become clinically depressed and start to contemplate suicide. It's literally the only that helps me take my mind off things.
>>
>>52120834
>>>[First Letter of Artist]
What's the point of this? Also, does Michael Jackson go under M or J?
>>
Music/[Artist]/[Album]/1 Title.m4a

I don't have 0's in front of tracks 1-9 on most filenames since mp3tag sees "Track 1" and applies "1" when autotagging instead of "01" unless the track explicitly has "Track 01" instead. I can't figure out how to auto add 0's to those tracks without fucking up the other tracks (eg. Making "Track 12" into "Track 012" in the process). I'm too lazy to manually go in and change the single digit tracks to have 0's, especially since i also have an archive of lossless music that's identical the the AAC tracks I put on my phone, so I guess I'll just deal with it. Everything else is tagged perfectly so I don't mind.
>>
Music>artist>album>disc-track artist-song title

Ran everything through musicbrainz a month or so ago. Felt good.
>>
/m/musicscheme/genre/artist/year album/track title.extension

music scheme is mainstream, old music, newer music I like, relaxing music and audio books
>>
Artist > Album > whatever filename came with the mp3 since I use mp3tag to edit the names

Its too late to make any changes to it with a 30k items library.
>>
>>52121999
Since you got trips I'll let you in on a little secret
Rename files using tags with foobar2000 instead, it makes it "01 Title" instead of "1 Title" even if the "Track" part only has 1 and not 01
>>
Artist
Album
title.extension
>>
>>52122782
>mp3tag
you know you can autorename all of the files using the tag name with mp3tag, right?
>convert
>tag - filename
be sure to use the right one though, since it's very easy to choose "filename - tag" by accident and wipe out your tags with shitty filenames in one fell swoop...i know from experience
>>
/media/music/Metal/Black Sabbath/Albums/[1970] Black Sabbath [Vertigo VO 6, 847 903 VTY] (FLAC)/
>>
>>52117459
Made me feel uncomfortable just reading that.

>ripped discs
Music/CD/Artist/Album/01 Title.flac

>downloaded shit
Music/Digital/Artist/Album/01 Title.mp3
>>
Artist/Album/Disc (if >1)/Track Number - Title.extension

Anything more extensive is covered in the tags.
>>
>>52117646
Spotify is garbage. Shit selection, can't even provide a full Radiohead collection, and so many artists missing entirely. You're literally throwing your money down the gutter. Your life though, so enjoy.
>>
>>52124208
Yes I know but last I think some music managers use filenames to keep track of the library items, if I changed filenames in mp3tag and then tried to update info theyd get confused and label everything as missing. It happened with itunes once. I think musicbee can do this natively but im too lazy to try.
>>
>>52124921
>can't even provide a full Radiohead collection
I think that's because Thom Yorke hates Spotify
>>
File: hikanee autism.png (831 KB, 800x722) Image search: [Google]
hikanee autism.png
831 KB, 800x722
>>52118203
I too named my music folder "mus", coincidentally.

anyway:
>/mus/Genre
>Artist - Song Title
I hate tagging songs by numbers and I hate artist/ album folders.
>>
main folder -> artist -> mp3s/flacs

I don't care about the filenames, all the details are mp3 tags. (Artist, album title, year, genres, covers, alternative covers, back covers, lyrics if Musicbee couldn't fetch them, recording date for live albums and period, work type, composer, conductor, soloist and orchestra for classical music)
>>
>Local Disk D
>Music
>Artist
>Year - Album name

I don't change name of the tracks unless it's out of order
>>
pik relat
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.