[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>most of my fellow cs grads are retarded gamers who hate math
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: GUvW23N.png (77 KB, 694x801) Image search: [Google]
GUvW23N.png
77 KB, 694x801
>most of my fellow cs grads are retarded gamers who hate math and couldn't prove bubble sort even if their lives depended upon it
how common is this?
>>
It's pretty common. There's definitely a misconception that once you have a programming degree and/or some experience, you would be able to get hired by a game company to make and play games n shit.
I've never done it, but game development is very different than anything core they teach you in school.
>>
computer science sounds like you'd do computer stuff, "gamers" usually think they're good with computer stuff
>>
>>52084776
In my experience, most of the kids in my CS classes that spend all their time on the computer playing games are the best in the class. I think having all that experience with using computers whether it's programming related or not really gives you an advantage. It did for me, anyway. I picked up on a lot of the stuff we learned faster than most of the 'normal' kids who didn't spend all their time at the computer.
>>
>>52085176
Having experience using computers != being good at cs. You can have experience with Office, but being a retard programming
>>
>>52085404
Tell that to my friends and family
>you're good with computers right?
>can you fix my dishwasher?
>>
>>52085404
>CS is programming
>>
>>52085430
>his cs degree didn't have plumbing 101 as a mandatory class
kek @ murican education
>>
>>52085481
I'm pretty handy with all kinds of things but they just assume "that's my thing" and when I fix it in 15 minutes while others couldn't figure it out, they think I knew what to do.
No bitch I figured it out as I went along it was completely new to me and you're all dumbfucks for not being able to read the manual.

Had to get that out of my system
>>
File: n.jpg (45 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
n.jpg
45 KB, 453x604
>>52084484
IT Engineer here
>I mock code monkeys that hurr durr are so much smarter than CS people
>I "work" as a DBA in a big company, and by work I mean I spend a few hours walking around the office waiting for something to fail so I get to yell at an intern that it's HIS job to fix it
>I spend literally 90% of my free hours at home playing videogames and lurking /g/, /gif/, /h/ and /b/
>YFW I let you know that I own a Lambo
>>
>>52085549
Post pic of lambo
>>
>>52085513
This is the worst thing. Most people don't even try. They just see something they're unfamiliar with and immediately give up / try to get someone else to do it for them. I'm barely average at computers and handywork but I give it a try and can usually critical think through it. Way too many people have eveything handed to them and have never used their brains beyond, "the solution isn't in plain sight, I give up".
>>
>>52085549
>YFW I let you know that I own a Lambo

If it isn't a Diablo or a Countach, I'm not impressed.
>>
File: vql3yw8ablbd6s3tphlu.jpg (27 KB, 854x476) Image search: [Google]
vql3yw8ablbd6s3tphlu.jpg
27 KB, 854x476
>>52085589
>>
>>52085549
>I spend literally 90% of my free hours at home playing videogames and lurking /g/, /gif/, /h/ and /b/
pretty sure only this one is true.
>>
>>52085624
knaawwledge
>>
>>52084484
It's common in all undergrad programs not just Comp Sci
>>
Yeah let's have another thread where we jerk off over how superior we think we are to our peers.
Yeah let's just sit in the back of the lecture hall and glance over at all those plebs with their Apple computers typity type typing in their Facebook chats like who do they think they are?
Lmao
Lmao
I fucking UNDERSTAND this shit man I see the code I'm the real nigga all you other niggas just aint shit mane
People are stupid I have that on a T-Shirt I just wanted to you to know
All these SHIT EATING
FUCKING
RETARDS
Can't hold a candle to me man I derived Calculus before I could walk did you know that I did that holy shit now that I told you you can sit there in awe of me
Fucking MOUTHBREATHERS
Yeah just sit there and code your little webapps im over here being a baller
YEAH

There, that felt good.
>>
Bubble sort is easy as fuck to understand. Do people really have trouble with it?
>>
>>52085549
>>I spend literally 90% of my free hours at home playing videogames and lurking /g/, /gif/, /h/ and /b/

Wow we all envy the life of someone who browses /b/ in 2015. Let's all gather round and be envious of this individual.
>>
>>52085624
Nice.
>>
>>52085770
I'm not that good in technical english but even I understood it after reading what it is. Usually it takes an example in code or a visual example to understand what the fuck it's saying but in this case it wasn't needed.
It's that fucking simple
>>
>>52085770
>>52085816
Yeah it basically just pushes the biggest or smallest element to the top of the bubble on each pass. Not difficult at all to understand.
>>
>>52085831
Is there a derivative where you split up the data and basically sort the big numbers in the biggest datasets and the small numbers in the small datasets and apply bubble sort on those subsets of data?
It's how humans would sort numbers now that i think of it
>>
I'm currently studying CS. At first year we had to have extra classes in "Office and utility software" because 80% of my year didn't know how to use SUM, MAX and MOD functions in Excel. When asked what they want to acheive in CS the most common answer was:

I just wanna be a game programmer and earn 10k/month and shit...

I died a little inside that day...
>>
>>52085868
You could do a quick sort style pivot to split a list of numbers in half and then do a bubble sort on the halves. You'd be much better off just continuously pivoting in almost all cases though.
>>
>>52085881
>office and utility software class
thats pretty much a learn to goole class
pls kill yourself, or shoot your school...
>>
>>52085881
>>52086093
In fairness most universities have a class similar to that for a general education course. I took it when I was in university cause it was easy as fuck and had a cheap text book.

The university tried to act like you needed to buy a new book for the Office trial. I just bought a used one and paid for 6 months worth of Office 365. Saved $100, fuck universities and their kickbacks with publishers.
>>
>>52086093
I'm seriously considering the second option. I don't know how this people even came to conclusion that they will do good CS....
I've got 4 years of professional experience with infrastructure teams and right now 2 years in software development, doing this only for the degree.
>>
>>52085881
Why did you use proprietary software when LibreOffice exists?
>>
>>52086229
If there's some incompatibility between LibreOffice and MS office that causes your shit to get fucked your grade could be negatively effected.

MS Office class is a GPA booster usually, best not to waste it.
>>
>>52085176
seems to me that people addicted to games are in for a serious clusterfuck sooner or later. it leaves them scatterbrained. they can't talk or think about anything else. all of the computer intuition in the world can't save you from being unable to concentrate.
>>
>>52086229

My school is a partner in the MSDNAA program so M$... but no books required.

Srsly only a handful of people in my year arÄ™ any good in CS or have real interest in it..
>>
>>52086329
This is what you get by making everyone go to college
>>
>>52086356
It's better then a nation of dumbfucks.
>>
>>52086320
It's true. I play a LOT of dota, and I've gotten very, very good. It shows in my grades though.
>>
>>52086382
Well, they're still dumbfucks

Just dumbfucks with degrees
>>
>>52086398
Even if they don't pay attention, shit sticks in people's minds. They get a basic lesson in discipline as well.
College is more then a degree factory.
>>
>>52086382
They're still dumb but now they've got a shitload of debt.
>>
>>52086382
You get a nation of dumbfucks with degrees that they don't even use because they change professions.
>>
File: swat.jpg (2 MB, 3000x1937) Image search: [Google]
swat.jpg
2 MB, 3000x1937
>>52086228
>>
File: 1386465503946.jpg (22 KB, 275x293) Image search: [Google]
1386465503946.jpg
22 KB, 275x293
there have been a lot of threads about "proving bubble sort by induction" since this past fall semester started. is it all the same freshman faggot?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.