[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>nearly 2015 + 1 >not using debian What's your excuse, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 11
File: debian_splash.png (25 KB, 331x350) Image search: [Google]
debian_splash.png
25 KB, 331x350
>nearly 2015 + 1
>not using debian
What's your excuse, /g/?
>>
I'm not running a server
>>
>>52067303
fag
>>
>>52067285
If your server is anything more then webhosting for some shit site, you will need new packages. Debian stable is a museum. All other branches are not stable enough.
>>
>>52067285
>nearly 2015+1
>using a distro with software repos outdated since 2007
ayy
>>
>>52067285
My sound won't work.
>>
I prefer BSDs...
But when I have to use Linux I use Debian.
>>
I couldn't get IOMMU working, and I like to play video games more than using libre software
>>
>>52067519
>IOMMU

what is that? elaborate.
>>
>>52067550
Supposedly lets me connect my PCIe graphics card directly to a virtual machine (running windows obviously) to play muh games without having them run like a turtle
>>
>>52067579
That is a horrible idea, I have tried VM on both Windows and Linux with sub-par results.

Why not use Wine and PlayonLinux to run games natively with your GPU inside Linux? I have been running several games without problems. Especially Steam games which run natively without even Wine and excellent performance on my Intel GPU.
>>
I want to know what the differences between Debian and Ubuntu are, in the newest respective versions of each?

In my recent experience of running a little laptop server, Debian just behaves better and doesn't do retarded shit.
>>
>>52067617
>That is a horrible idea,
Gets about 95% performance of native configuration

>>52067617
>Wine and PlayonLinux
I want my Windows stuff in Windows and Linux stuff in Linux.
I'd have gone with a dual boot but I know I'm not going to use Linux if I have native Windows.
>>
>>52067725
Debian is known for its stability as it is a favorite for servers, hence it has older packages frozen to preserve stability and uptime.

Ubuntu is the commercial implementation for desktops and mainstream users. It is the face of Linux for normies who have been trying it out. Ubuntu is getting support from many people especially Steam, Intel and Microsoft with better drivers and compatibility with Windows applications in each new release.

Debian is like nostalgia fags who still use XP and Ubuntu is like Windows 7, its successor but less popular with fanboys.
>>
>>52067756
Retarded analogy.
>>
>>52067756
I was hoping for a more specific reply about how Debian is set up differently from Ubuntu for servers.

I have used Ubuntu for years purely because Xubuntu is fucking good but I'm trying to get a good and efficient server going and Ubuntu Server is just doing stupid shit and makes me lose confidence .
>>
File: snapshot204.png (18 KB, 622x188) Image search: [Google]
snapshot204.png
18 KB, 622x188
this guy doesn't seem to understand why someone would want to use a third-party repository on Debian.
>>
Debian a shit.
>>
>>52067786
thanks, remember to subscribe

>>52067788
I have not seen Ubuntu being used on servers anywhere. Just because it can, doesn't mean it should.
>>
File: DSCF2025.jpg (3 MB, 4288x2416) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2025.jpg
3 MB, 4288x2416
>>52067441
Ever tried GoboLinux?
>>
>>52067810
rms doesn't like eggplant
>>
>>52067285
Seems like everything I want to do on it requires hours of research on how to fix whatever bug. For example, Network manager crashes every time I try to connect to a vpn and getting the fonts to look passable is a bitch. Why would I use it when Ubuntu minimal will be everything I want minus all the bugs?
>>
>>52067746
>>52067746
>>>52067617
>>That is a horrible idea,
>Gets about 95% performance of native configuration

But I have never tried it before and it sounds like something I am not used to. So I can safely say it is likely shit, that is the only way my current experience can be relevant and the only good explanation why I don't do it myself.
Therefore it is a horrible idea
>>
Because I have used Ubuntu previously and wanted to try Ubuntu gnome.
>>
>>52067285
sudo apt-to break <packagename>
>>
>>52067285

#1 reason not to use Debian has always been their refusal to allow me to access runlevel 3 when I need it like I can on any non-debian based distro, *BSD, Solaris, and HPUX.
>>
>>52067285
but muh rolling arch...
>>
why is firefox localisation missing from every ubuntu spin? and it does not seek to fetch the firefox-i18n, wtf debuntu?
>>
>>52067285
Because Arch is better.

>inb4 anti-arch crowd faggotry
>>
>>52068650
I don't need one I'm running testing on my desktop and laptop. Simplest good distro.
>>
>>52069207
you've probably never used pacman, which is why you say that
>>
>>52067303
This and Arch is superior. Fuck apt-get bullshit.
>>
>>52067285
systemd is cancer
>>
>in US
>all networks owned by gov't
>not using Windows
Literally wtf are you doing
What could possibly be your excuse
>>
Because skylake. Maybe with kernel 4.5 I can go back to loonix
>>
But I am! I'm using stable with a kernel from backports. It's really comfy.
>>
>>52067285
Because I'm using my Desktop PC right now. I have Debian Testing on my laptop.
>>
>>52069558
>systemd is cancer

is it now?
>>
>>52070216
yes, actually that's the perfect description for it.
It's a large tumor that continues spreading in the GNU/Linux userbase, absorbing various previously correctly functioning parts and making them part of a tangle of spaghetti code for the sake of supporting the "new is better" fallacy
>>
>2015+1
>debian still too shitty to even consider to run
What is your excuse OP?
>>
>>52067285
my excuse is that userland softwre should never be frozen. it really shouldn't even be tested by distro maintainers, that is the domain of whoever develops a given piece of software. userland software has no system breaking potential and rarely if ever breaks anything besides itself.
>>
*buntu is better
>>
>>52070267
Do really think the devs think like that? Normally that sort of fallacy is the domain of those solely concerned with making a quick buck.
>>
I have a job, a house of my own, and a car.
>>
>>52067815
ubuntu server is pretty huge, iirc it's the #1 most deployed container/vm
>>
>>52068463
I presume you meant l10n which is localizations, the i18n means internationalization.
I think you confusion comes from Arch which incorrectly labels localization language packs as "i18n".
i18n is build in to Firefox, it's the framework that enables the use of localizations l10n.

If you are still confused look at
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-i18n
or
https://blog.mozilla.org/l10n/2011/12/14/i18n-vs-l10n-whats-the-diff/

And both Ubuntu and Debian provide localizations(l10n) for Firefox and Iceweasel respectively.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&keywords=firefox-locale&searchon=names
https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&keywords=iceweasel-l10n

Hope that helps.
>>
I use Solaris instead.

But Debian is still my go-to for GNU/Autism.
>>
>>52067285
I jumped on the arch bandwagon.
>>
>>52070314
But that's what Testing and Unstable are for.
>>
>>52070816
welcome, did you do it the tedious way or did you get wise and use architect or antergos?

>>52070830
don't both still do a minimal amount of testing before releasing updates? don't they also have bleeding edge non userland software?
>>
Trisquel isn't current enough for me. I want newer packages. Parabola is confusing to install with full disk encryption though.
>>
>>52070849
tedious, although it wasn't that tedious t b h
>>
>>52070391
there is no reason for an init system to move into userland programs and reinvent them. It's just asking for incompatibilities and security holes and promotes fragmentation in a dev community. I don't want to preach "muh Unix philosophy" since that's a meme phrase that triggers people to start shitposting about unrelated things but just try and think about what it's trying to say.The big idea is "do one thing and do it right". Systemd fails at that and it's going to cause problems in the long run. The best way for Linux to thrive is to have modular separately developed parts that come together, not to be under the wing of an init system with a tangle of dependencies. The more functionality you adapt the higher the risk that there is going to be something wrong on many levels. Systemd has enforced a hostile takeover of the GNU/Linux userland basically saying, if you want to continue to be a modern relevant distro you're going to be running a bloated piece of RH code that absorbs the projects it wants. All this does not even touch any technical aspects of the problems with systemd
>>
>>52070393
I guarantee that there are people that make more than you that use that OS.
Last time I checked it was the most popular server OS in the world, so being employed actually has a lot to do with using Debian
>>
>>52070849
not him but I am trying to install Arch the proper way through wiki and stuff in a VM. if this goes well I will install it on my partition to multi-boot.
>>
is there a version of Debian that is bleeding edge to the level of a source based distro?
>>
>>52067285
Normal Debian has pretty old packages.
Debian testing has no advantage to arch, while using a worse package manager and not having the AUR.
>>
>>52067285
for KDE users it's hard to beat Kubuntu
>>
>>52070952
KDE sucks, 4.x was still tolerable, Plasma 5 is a failed abortion with so much bloat it makes Windows look good.
>>
>>52070933
>while using a worse package manager
explain
>>
>two thousand and sixteen minus zero point zero one eight
>still arguing over which distro is "better", while completely ignoring usecases
different distros have different strengths, fags
>>
>>52071015
what is the strength of kubuntu and fedora? i used them and they were horrifying.
>>
I wiped my laptop yesterday to get rid of Windows 7 since it was taking up 40+GB on my 120GB SSD and I never booted into it anymore. I installed Debian Testing and used it for about 6 hours but ended wiping it again and installing Arch instead. I've been using Arch for over 5 years and just wanted to try something new out which is the only reason I installed Debian. Debian itself seems fine but I just prefer Pacman over Aptitude and Debian's wiki is pretty useless compared to the Arch wiki. Debian also didn't have several programs in their Repos that I use regularly whereas Arch has them in either their official repos or on the AUR.

I've got a Raspberry Pi that I'll probably put debian on to make a headless torrentbox and file server.
>>
>>52071039
How does Arch do in terms of gaming? Ubuntu has been very helpful so far with PlayonLinux. So will my stuff from Ubuntu play nice with Arch? I know AUR is far better than PPA system though.
>>
>>52067519
In b4 you forgot to enable IOMMU on bios
>>
>>52067285
I prefer arch
>>
>>52071108
it's pretty much the same, you can get playonlinux on arch or there are a couple of other wine interfaces you might check out
>>
>>52071108
Well, I've never used playonlinux, Steam or put any games from GOG on Arch but from what I've heard, Steam works great at least. GOG games are packaged for Ubuntu so it's a bit of a hassle to get them installed on Arch but once installed they work fine. I don't know anything about playonlinux to be honest.

NES, SNES, GBA, PSX, PS2, and Dreamcast emulators work great, as do games like Dwarf Fortress, Nethack, OpenTTD, etc.
>>
>>52070975
KDE has been that way for about 10 years.
>>
>>52071039
i would stick it out with debian, having some experience with a deb distro is actually useful while arch isn't, aptitude does suck use apt/apt-get/dpkg and synaptic
>>
>>52071114
There's more to it than that though. I may be mistaken but I believe you have to edit it into your kernel parameters. From what I've seen, there isn't any clear explanation to doing this.
>>
>>52067285
I run debian on one of my servers tho
the other one runs arch, desktop runs gentoo
>>
>>52071179
>NES, SNES, GBA, PSX
>using separate emulators
MEDNAFEN
E
D
N
A
F
E
N
>>
>>52071182
Yeah, I know that in the grand scheme of things it would be more useful to get familiar with Debian. Like I said, I'll actually put some effort into learning the ins-and-outs of Debian when I set up my Raspberry Pi mini-server.

It's just that I use this laptop as my daily driver and I'm VERY familiar with how to use and configure Arch so I went back to it so that I could just start using my laptop again.
>>
>>52071258
I've actually never used that one before, is it pretty good?
>>
>>52071287
yeah, it werks for me
just make sure you get the bios files for the systems that need them
>>
>>52071305
alright cool, I'll give it a shot
>>
>>52071305
Not the other guy, forgive my stupidity, but will this play my ps2 discs? Or is there more to it than that?
>>
>>52071258
why do emulators sound like painkiller brands these days
>>
>>52067285
SYSTEMD
>>
>>52071390
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mednafen
nah, it doesn't have a ps2 module
as far as playing disks directly, they dropped support for that, i think you have to make a bin/cue from the disk first and then load that
>>
>>52071390
I think pcsx2 (a stand-alone PS2 emulator) can play PS2 games from disc.
>>
>>52071464
Thanks. I'll still look into this. I've never tried emulators.
>>
>>52071522
>pcsx2
Holy shit, thanks. I've had the urge to play some Resident Evil.
>>
>>52070987
Slower, more typing, bloated output, less KISS.
>>
>>52071585
any reasons that aren't autistic or buzzwords?
>>
>>52071612
he finds it extremely important that when installing packages, he doesn't have to type 6 extra characters
>>
>>52070915
siduction
>>
>>52071763
thanks will look into
>>
>>52071612
>>52071656
What things are you expecting?
Both package managers just get their job done, pacman is just faster and less obnoxious.
>>
>>52072419
>less obnoxious
how?
>>
>>52072419
a feature comparison, i would agree they both get the job done, but baseless shitting on apt is trendy
>>
File: 1302398303024.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1302398303024.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>52070879
But why? I don't get it. If it is so obvious that systemd is such a problem then why persist in its usage? It doesn't make any sense that a project (for want of a better expressions) that has been so well-steered for years would now, seemingly intentionally, go off the rails in such a dramatic manner.
>>
>>52068650
the reason there is an anti-arch crowd is because of arch-babby faggotry.
>>
>>52072492
Ehhh just compare their outputs, you'll get it.

>>52072502
For the general 99% of the time use case of installing, upgrading and uninstalling packages, pacman requires less time to type, runs faster and has clearer output. That's the large majority of how you interact with it, way to just say it's baseless.
>>
>>52070900
Considering I only make -+100k a year, that's definitely a possibility.
>>
>>52072512
>If it is so obvious that systemd is such a problem then why persist in its usage?
The people in charge of major distributions have decided that Linux only has future in enterprise so cooperating with RH was the right step towards securing that future. Systemd is a step towards a Windows like environment. While that's not necessarily a bad thing I don't think it's the best path for the GNU/Linux userland. Systemd is basically tearing a divide between the typical development style that was the signature success feature of GNU/Linux when it grew to prominence and the corporate centralized dev community.

If it continues to go down the path of RH central development, it will be nothing like the GNU/Linux you know today. Starting with an init system that absorbs as much functionality as it can is the perfect path for RH to invoke dependency from a large dev group that would otherwise be independent from upstream compliance.
>>
>>52072623
>clearer output
only thing i would consider relevant, but just off the top of my head apt supports package pinning, downgrading, and unattended upgrades
>>
>>52067285

Apt is a shit!

Debian is a shit outdated!
>>
>>52072674
So thats it then? Linux in general is now the focus of enterprise (and requisite) windows-like functionality?

Still, I just don't get it. If systemd is going to expose the user to more security-type holes. If a windows type enterprise platform is desired, surely it must be done while paying attention to the lessons from the past? That is, it just seems nuts that you can steer something down a path when it is apparently so obvious that the path has been traveled before, with disastrous results.

(I am a long time Debian user, but have payed little attention to the the workings of the project itself).
>>
>>52072829
>Apt is a shit!
>Debian is a shit outdated!

Why?
>>
>>52072721
>performance and amount of time spent isn't relevant
Why even use a computer
>>
>>52072861
>Still, I just don't get it. If systemd is going to expose the user to more security-type holes. If a windows type enterprise platform is desired, surely it must be done while paying attention to the lessons from the past?
It will be better than Windows at the core because it's a young OS that has had a ton of eyes improving it constantly across the world, as opposed to the security by obscurity closed source model. I suppose that the most important thing to think about is the implications of overcentralizing development of GNU/Linux in the hands of enterprise.

When I was speaking about security holes I was just generally trying to relate to the fact that the more systemd grows and integrates with low and high level programs the more prone it is. Again, doing one thing well is better (imo) than doing a thousand things with the possibility of big problems.

Systemd and the controversy surrounding it is a huge shitstorm full of issues. I feel that it's a large crossroads for the community.
>>
>>52072998
>performance
apt takes a few seconds for dependencies then it's all bandwidth and disk limited, and takes zero time from you with unattended upgrades

>amount of time spent isn't relevant
coming from an arch user this is hilarious
>>
>>52069236
i don't get it. You still have to sudo to use it properly just like apt-get, unless you're root.

I don't see the big deal with you guys who are so against apt-get
>>
>>52073193
It's clunky retarded garbage after you've used pacman
>>
>>52067285
Because im not an autist fedora neckbeard weeb so i use Win 10

Now kys loonix users
>>
>>52073223
Not really. I run Arch on my laptop, and Debian Testing on my desktop.
Unless you're a lazy fuck, and can't be damned to type a few extra commands, they're both good package managers.
>>
I got screen tearing even when using Compton with their AMD drivers (both free and non-free), so I switched to Fedora and it's tear-free there.

Still have Debian on my laptop where the Intel graphics driver doesn't tear with Compton.
>>
>>52067285
I use kali all the time, what are you talking about?
>>
>>52073399
And it's not like you can't do aliases if really need "short" cmds.
alias i='apt install'
alias s='apt search'

I just think that some Arch users are not right in the head, it seems to attract certain type of people.
>>
>>52072998
does arch have a robust auto update, cause https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Update_packages_from_crontab is a fucking joke
>>
Between Ubuntu, Debian and Arch, which one is best suited for an all-purpose laptop OS? Disregarding the learning curve for each.
>>
>>52074311
Fedora or Ubuntu, in that order
>>
>>52074311
>Disregarding the learning curve
gentoo
>>
>>52074338
Why exactly?
>>52074344
Not disregarding the time spent hunting dependencies however.
>>
>>52074311
There really is not that many differences between them, for Arch the community provides a lot of the packages and thus they are outside the base system QA, but you get much more speedly updates.
Debian has very strict procedures for packages and thus can be considered more slow to update and Ubuntu is the same as Debian, but they do have PPAs which do a similar job as AUR.
There really is no best, it's all about preferences and choice, you align with one that suits you the best.
And you question is so generic it's not even funny, it's like asking which shoe is better, adidas or nike.

So all of those distros are suitable for general use.
>>
>>52074357
>implying Gentoo doesn't have dependency handling
>>
>>52069245
sudo apt-get justfuckmypacmanupfam umad rm -r ursociallife
>>
>>52067285
because I'm a real man who uses arch.
>>
>>52075122
>because I'm a NEET who uses arch.
ftfy
>>
What does /g/ think about gnome-flashback? Is it worth installing?
>>
>>52075156
>I can not even build a LFS and have a job.
thats what I read.
>>
>>52075162
no, gnome sucks, openbox master race.
>>
>>52075199

Openbox has been abandoned.
>>
>>52075214
No it's not , it reached a mature point and like any other open source can be recompiled and modified.
>>
>>52074279
Listen to what the wiki says: it's a bad idea.
>>
>>52074279
Do not auto update. If you update and there is a broken package installed, you could lose your system. The last thing you need is that a broken package affects data on your HDD and you get royally screwed.
>>
What is he talking about >>52075288
>>
>>52067756
The only difference between Ubuntu and Debian is that they have different repositories and different maintainers.
>>
>apt is shit
>why
>because it's just shit
>explain it
>j-just use pacman and you'll see why apt is shit
Every god damn debian thread
>>
Can someone explain the fucking outdated packages meme to me? What is an understandable and practical example of this being an inconvinience to the average user?
>>
>>52076039
Hey. We need to have bleeding edge software to shitpost on /g/, remember?
>>
>>52076039
enthusiasts and autistic people beat their meat to having extremely recent versions of software, even if they do nothing that would require the latest and greatest packages.
Most of them are certainly not developers, and I'm pretty sure none of them intend to beta test the latest packages and pass on usable bug reports to the package maintainer
>>
>>52076039
Mostly drivers and compatibility things. However a large one is just the kernel itself. Last time I used Fedora, it was on 4.36 or something. Debian is on 3.2 or 3.3 or something I believe.

Minor improvements to the efficiency of a kernel can have huge impacts on runtime performance, however those difference can be very hard to measure and vary greatly with different hardware.
>>
>>52067285

But I use CrunchBang++, isn't that Debian based?
>>
>>52076270
debian jessie is on 3.16.7
>>
File: Lewd.png (636 KB, 2500x2641) Image search: [Google]
Lewd.png
636 KB, 2500x2641
>>52067837

That's lewd
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>52071431

All the good names are taken.

The only good ones left sound like diseases.
>>
>>52073239
>Because im not an autist fedora neckbeard weeb

But you're certainly a memeing sperg.
>>
>>52076039
They're too lazy to install testing and add + pin unstable repos.
>>
>>52076034
>Literally the exact same thing is said from apt-fags to pacman-fags

desu senpai both package managers have their strengths and weaknesses but they're still both solid pieces of software
>>
>>52070022

Testing and Sid default to kernel 4.3 which has great Skylake support (I know from experience)

>>52072829
Related to what's above, as long as you aren't running stable, core stuff tends to actually be NEWER than even Arch and other """bleeding edge""" distros.

Sid is really nice imho.
>>
No consistent documentation. Some packages use the current docs (latest) because the changes made it through some don't. The cluster that was installing django, between the python compatibility and the conflicting docs because of the changes. Speaking of changes, upgrades are a nightmare too. 90% of the time for a package upgrades I just end up rebooting like a windows asshole because of instability problems.
>>
>>52080022
>great skylake support
what does that mean, exactly?
i see this get thrown around a lot
>>
I like it when the software that I'm using was released this decade.
>m-muh testing
Muh rolling release.
>>
>>52071522
>>52071571
Fair warning, it runs like shit on Linux and the devs won't fix it.
>>
>>52080095
>Muh rolling release.
Sid.
>>
I like Debian, but Arch uses the latest kernel, which I need for virt shit.
>>
>>52080086

4.2 got the ball rolling in terms of integrated video and stuff working, and 4.3 ironed out a lot of the issues. I'm sure changes will continue to be made as a result of Skylake, but in terms of functionality it works perfectly fine now.
>>
>>52080200

>checks Arch repos
>4.2.5
>checks Debian repos
>testing is at 4.3 and experimental has 4.4rc6

u wot m8
>>
>>52080200
Doesn't the latest kernels break a lot of virt shit? Especially fucking up IOMMU. I know because I struggled with that shit for a few days before someone told me to downgrade my kernel to pre-4.0.
>>
>>52080231
>Actually using testing on server
>Using a branch that has no guaranteed security patches

Dude, at least try to not post on stuff you have no idea about
>>
>>52080231
Neat. I'm running stable on my laptop, so it's still on an ancient kernel. Never checked testing.
>>52080232
Works for meâ„¢
>>
>>52080284

Meanwhile, you'd recommend running Arch with the newest kernel on one? Even Debian Unstable gets patches for certain packages when Arch often just pulls straight from upstream.
>>
>>52080303
Actually pulling straight from upstream is not a bad idea. Generally speaking vanilla source is usually well test, it's when you start tinkering with is that problems show up. Still I never suggested arch, I'd go with fedora on that use case.
>>
>>52080377

Ah, thought you were the first guy I was responding too. I would actually prefer Fedora over either of those if I needed a really up-to-date server, but if it's between Arch and Debian testing, I think I'd trust testing a tad more.
>>
whats the best server os?
>>
>>52080402
You cannot trust testing. Testing is a meme for people who have not actually read what testing is. Let me point out some basics:

1. Testing is a stabilization branch for stable which operates in two modes
- Rolling when stabilization process has not started
- Freeze when they are working on latest stable
That implies you have two completely different systems depending on calendar/current debian lifecycle. That is a problem if you are in testing for the "latest packages". During stabilization you wont get any.
2. Testing has not guarantee of security and stability unlike sid and stable. It is strongly implied that nobody really cares what is happening in testing outside of stabilization period. That means things are sometimes broken for weeks before being fixed while patches arrived already in both sid and stable. This is also true for security patches. Testing does not receive security patches in timely manner. This is bad for a server os.
3. Since testing is a groundwork for stable you will often see certain packages frozen or using strange package versions. They are not going to pull stuff that they are certain will not make it into next stable. Hence it's not unusual to be a full release behind on things like you desktop environment or libreoffice (stable instead of fresh)

This is just a tip of an iceberg. Debian developers have repeatedly stated to not use testing on production machines of any kind. It's not designed for it.
>>
>>52080485
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, CentOS
>>
i actually currently use debian on my laptop (and windows on desktop for games). i'll explain why i currently use debian though.

basically, i like debian-derivatives because i like aptitude and i like debs' fine-grained dependencies and alternatives system and etc etc. my first was actually debian, but i never really used it. i started using linux as a main os with ubuntu: friendly way to install all the usual 3rd party goodies while still having aptitude to install the typical dev toolchains and lunix programs

but ubuntu going with unity completely turned me off with how the dash worked (inability, via options, to disable some tabs or make it not thrash and freeze searching EVERYTHING when i type something; animations that are hardcoded and slow, useless scopes or whatever they are called). then ubuntu specific toolkit changes also broke stuff that didn't use gtk/qt in standard ways (menus breaking, keyboard shortcuts not working). i just wanted a boring system that worked, and unity was not it.

i could have tried other desktops, but:
- kde's application stack kind of have worse integration than the gnome stack (at least on debian-derivatives) in terms of little things like pam/keyring-unlock or ssh/gpg-agent.
- i'd rather stick to more mainstream/popular desktops instead of xfce/lxde/[insert your wm] since they have the most developer momentum

so now ubuntu's gnome stack (read: ubuntu-gnome) sucks and is always multiple versions late compared to upstream because they need to patch and integrate their special snowflake changes. i just use debian because of their better gnome stack, and i suck it up when my firefox/thunderbird say iceweasel/icedove instead because i don't want to take forever to rebuild them (just one flag!) with official branding
>>
>>52067285
But I'm using Tanglu. It's Debian, except for private desktops.
>>
I am using Debian. Debian Stretch to be exact, very comfy.
>>
Tried installing it on my old laptop but it required proprietary drivers to use the wifi. Didn't feel like dealing with that shit so I just installed Xumbuntu onto it.

My server does run Debian though.
>>
>>52082189
If you download the netinst images, they come with proprietary firmware included in the image. You just have to know which iso to download, really.
>>
I use Arch.
>>
>>52067285
Gentoo
>>
>>52067285
My excuse is arch.
>>
>>52067285
I am using Arch right now but Debian unstable would be my second choice.
>>
>>52070075
thanks for this, finally made the plunge to the kernel from bp.

it is slighty more comfy now. still should have done it sooner.
>>
>>52067285
>3 year old software = testing
>6 year old software = stable

its true i guess
>>
>>52084775
Since when you faggot?
>>
>>52067285
Tried to install it yesterday night in a dual-boot setup, Grub almost JUST'd my Win8.1 partition.
I'm trying again now, wish me luck.
>>
>>52067725
>>52067788
Can someone please answer this?
>>
Because I like to use software from this century
>>
>>52085181

Ubuntu has more recent packages, it's based on debian unstable only with more testing, so naturally bugs occur

For server you should use debian stable or centos
>>
>>52085124
>Debian for women
>>
>>52085216
I meant more in terms of how its configured, because having used both there seem to be clear differences between how they run, I just don't know how to find out
>>
>>52085225
>Debian for women
What the actual fuck. Someone needs to contribute with C+=.
>>
File: archwomen.png (4 KB, 196x65) Image search: [Google]
archwomen.png
4 KB, 196x65
>>52085225
archwomen.org
>>
become based gentoomen
>>
>>52087126
>archwomen.org
Cancer
>>
b-but i do
debian testing on laptop and desktop, stable on server.
>>
When's the next base release of testing supposed to come out? (i.e. the one after Alpha 4)
>>
>>52070267
systemd is not a "tangle of spaghetti code".
>>
>>52088003
>debian testing
It's a thing of beauty, Stable was fine on the laptop, but the testing version really put things in order.
>>
>>52074357
you're thinking of slackware
>>
>>52067285
>What's your excuse
>not using debian
cause is
>nearly 2015 + 1
>>
>>52084796
>arch is on kernel version 4.2.5
>debian testing is on kernel version 4.3
>>
how come there's no obmenu-generator .deb package for Debian? it's the most useful thing for openbox I'm suprised nobody has packaged it after all this time.
>>
I couldn't get steam or my sound working
>>
>>52089240
Debian sid or jessie?
>>
>>52089374
why package a single perl script
>>
>>52089414
He said testing you retard
>>
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/nvidia-driver

Look at the version number. Literally the only reason I went back to Mint.

I want to go back to Debian but I'm not swapping out my Maxwell card.
>>
>>52089452
Just pin the newer one from experimental
>>
>>52089414
Stretch motherfucker.
>>
>>52089472
I tried that last month and it didn't work. Apt just refused to do it because of a bunch of version inconsistencies. Basically I was heading into dependency hell.

I read something about how the Debian maintainers knew this and they couldn't get the new drivers out because of a kernel issue. It sounded like a bullshit reason since the Arch world seems to be fine with the newest Nvidia driver.
>>
>>52089523
All I'm hearing is "I don't know how to use my package manager"
>>
Iceweasel
Public flame wars
Installer with no new features for a decade
Unreliable release cycle
No LTS
Ancient software packages
Horrendous font rendering
Lack of polish everywhere
>>
>>52089603
>Iceweasel
whats your problem with iceweasel? aurora is awesome
>Public flame wars
where's the problem with this? you still visit /g/
>Installer with no new features for a decade
what would you add? it's still one of the best installers
>Unreliable release cycle
it only wasn't 2 years once
>No LTS
you can stay on stable forever and update once a year.
>Ancient software packages
depends on what you use, on a server stability is a must, so stable is the right choice, if you use a desktop and use it normally, testing is great, if you like bleeding edge, there is unstable.
>Horrendous font rendering
you can change that. it's a valid con for some people i guess
>Lack of polish everywhere
some call "lack of polish" minimal, some call polished "bloat". it's subjective.
>>
>>52089391
i'm currently using debian unstable on my laptop

1. steam currently works fine for me out of the box, but in some past/future time you have to delete STEAM'S (not your SYSTEM'S) copy of libstdc++ from the steam-runtime because of differing/incompatible versions of gcc used by debian and steam (i believe steam is "intended" for the latest ubuntu lts version? i might be wrong)

2. install pulseaudio. everyone will chimp out and tell you to UNINSTALL (or at least pause) pulseaudio to fix your sound issues, but we aren't in 2015 - 5 anymore. check to make sure you are using the correct sound device with the relevant channels unmuted. if you don't like using pactl, you can install alsa-utils to use alsamixer

>>52089523
use aptitude for its fine grained dependency/error resolution. i don't use nvidia drivers, but sometimes pin things from experimental and have to deal with dependencies when upgrading
>>
>>52089895
forgot to mention steam runtime is inside the ~/.steam folder in your homedir, not whatever you installed with apt. this issue should be googleable if you need more details
>>
Outdated Nvidia driver in the repository.
>>
No PPAs
>>
>>52090448
you can use PPA on debian. PPAs are retarded though.
>>
File: low_quality_bait.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
low_quality_bait.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>
Because Ubuntu is quite good. :-)
>>
>>52089723
The problem with Iceweasel is being taken seriously in a corporate environment. If you are giving a presentation or sharing your screen, having to respond to someone asking wtf "Iceweasel" is immediately destroys your credibility or marks you as autistic. It's just not a battle worth fighting.
>>
Fedora is better for workstation, minus the poor font rendering and lack of nvidia drivers.
>>
>>52091641
just change the icon if you are too autistic to say that you use the default browser on debian. or download firefox.
>>
>>52091641
you can just say firefox because it's literally firefox
>>
>>52091674
>dat titlebar
>>
>>52091641
> If you are giving a presentation or sharing your screen, having to respond to someone asking wtf "Iceweasel" is immediately destroys your credibility or marks you as autistic.
What kind of work environment are you in where people interrupt presentations to interrogate the presenter about what software they use?
>>
>>52091681
And they ask why it says Iceweasel>>52091681
"Then why does it say Iceweasel "
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-28_01-19-39.png (187 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-28_01-19-39.png
187 KB, 1920x1080
>>52091689
>>
>>52091706
The kind where millennials also work
>>
It's ugly and outdated. So is literally every OS other than Windows and IOS. I don't spend enough time on the computer to bother with that shit.
>>
>>52091720
they'll ask why the fuck are you using debian in a corporate environment
>>
>>52091755
>why the fuck are you using debian in a corporate environment
>>52091720
>"Then why does it say Iceweasel "
>>52091641
>wtf is Iceweasel
Because it makes my nipples hard. Any other stupid questions?
>>
>>52091755
I've never been asked why I use Linux in corporate environments, because Linux and related is my job.

I have however been asked why I don't use os x by people claiming it provides the same with regards to a development environment. As if it were comparable.
>>
File: debian.png (620 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
620 KB, 1920x1080
Just reinstalled my system with Stable today. Have a wallpaper, /g/.
>>
>>52067285
Debian is a piece of shit. Software is outdated, files are missing from their mirrors, incorrect dependencies. Don't use it. Ubuntu is a little better. Arch Linux has the most up to date programs.
>>
>>52075103
this
only reason i don't use anything other than debian based is because of baby duck when it comes to learning new package manager commands.
>>
>>52080231
>Linux kernel still on 4.2.5 despite people saying Arch is bleeding edge
>10 times more unstable than Debian Unstable
>Debian Stable to Unstable never breaks for me normally
>Arch breaks for me sometimes, but more than Debian
>The only advantages I get out of Arch is the OK, but sometimes shitty AUR and faster package manager
I'm done with Arch /g/, I'll better go back to Debian Testing soon
but first i'll copy some files over to another harddrive first
>>
>>52093841
arch is a meme literally nobody outside of /g/ has even heard of, the only good thing about it is the arch forums contain the children
>>
>>52067285
Used to arch and too lazy to switch.
Dont even know any advantages.
>>
Debian is godliness
>>
Apt-get licks penis modules. pacman is where its at kids
>>
>>52073239
Nice meme, Trilby, but you cant fool me.
Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.