[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bye weendows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3
File: linux[1].jpg (15 KB, 468x279) Image search: [Google]
linux[1].jpg
15 KB, 468x279
I'm switching from Win10 slow botnet motherfucker to Kubuntu, is it a good choice? has /g/ any suggestion for a Linux newfag?
>>
>>52054042
Learn to use a tiling WM like I3. You won't be disappointed, OP. :^)
>>
Kubuntu is a good choice.
>>
KDE is the most resource intensive DE out there.
Get Mint instead.
>>
Any of the Ubuntu flavors are okay. It's personal preference at that point. KDE was known for being slow and bloated, but that isn't as much of an issue these days. There's an upside to Linux though, you can test out as many desktop environments as you want through live CDs (or live USBs). You just boot the CD or USB drive and test it out, no install necessary.

Just make sure you stick with an Ubuntu flavor[1] until you're used to Linux because it is overwhelmingly the most documented and user-friendly.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFlavors
>>
>>52054042
>>52054042
Mint or Debian until you learn how to use the terminal properly. I would go with Debian though since it is more stable.
>>
Install Arch or Gentoo.
Also, use just a WM (I like openbox).
Learn to use a good text editor.
>>
>>52054113
Mint isn't a desktop environment, it's a distro. Ubuntu has its own flavor of the Mate DE now, so Mint is only worth it if you really want to use the Cinnamon DE.
>>
>>52054113
True it IS the most resource intensive, but sometimes people like KDE. People should choose what they think looks best initially and which demand less time ricing to get it how you want it to look. If he can run Win 10 then he can easily run KDE
>>
Lubuntu's a great choice for older hardware, or hardware that generally can't handle much anymore.
>>
>>52054143
Stop trolling the newbies.
>>
>>52054042
Kubuntu was my second distro (after SuSE). It's a good choice.

Many of the people in this thread are giving bad advice on purpose. Although Arch Linux is a great distro (I'm using it now) and some of the WMs they're posting are nice, you'll probably feel a lot more comfortable using Kubuntu. Go for it OP.
>>
>>52054196
Agreed, but I3 is a lot more efficient once you learn how to use it.
>>
>>52054145
I know Mint isn't a DE, but having tried Ubuntu MATE, I find it to be a better implementation of MATE and it also has a larger user base.
>>52054160
OP specifically stated Windows being slow as 1 of the reasons for switching, so going for the biggest resource hog DE seems like a bad idea.
>>
>>52054215
Lots of thing are more efficient when you know how to use them. But if you jump head first into a completely different environment then you're more likely to fail and go back to the usual. Starting off Linux by using a tiling WM is dumb.
>>
>>52054126
Agreed. Ubuntu is fantastic for newbs. I haven't used it much, but I have heard that the Ubuntu Software Center is easy to use. Great springboard into whatever poison you desire to waste the rest of your life with - ricing, wearing a tinfoil hat, gaming, et.al.
>>
>>52054233
>OP specifically stated Windows being slow as 1 of the reasons for switching, so going for the biggest resource hog DE seems like a bad idea.
KDE still is a LOT lighter than Windows is.
>>
>>52054215
Maybe true, but possibly too different for a newbie.
What is the best way to try i3?
>>
>>52054239
Fine, I'll rephrase: Learning both KDE and I3, I3 is the clear winner.

The better question is, does OP need lots of graphics?
>>
>>52054160
Personal experience:

i5 4460
r9 280x
8gb of RAM

Use Windows 10, as fast as I would ask for

Use Kubuntu specifically, takes 3 times longer to boot than any other DE I tried, is definitely slower and sometimes just loves to fucking hang while clicking stuff.
>>
>>52054254
What do you mean?
Install it to your computer, [sudo apt-get install i3], and log out of your current Ubuntu session. That is, if you're using Ubuntu. You should be able to easily switch from your current DE to I3.
>>
>>52054245
Both Ubuntu and Mint are GREAT for beginners. Kubuntu would be perfect if he likes how it looks.
>>
File: overall_cpt2_en.png (68 KB, 657x548) Image search: [Google]
overall_cpt2_en.png
68 KB, 657x548
Install Deepin 2014.3 if you want a stable OS or try Deepin 15 beta for uber performance improvement.
>>
>>52054284
Deepin looks pretty fucking cool. Have you tried Elementary as well? Which do you like better?
>>
Nice b8 m8 winblowssssss 10 is botnet. Linux is NSA proof goyssss
>>
>>52054261
You don't really have to 'learn' KDE, it tries to replicate Windows pretty hard. You DO however have to 'learn' tiling WMs, including i3.

>>52054300
Deepin is okay, but it's made by Chinese people and rough in a bunch of ways. Good luck ever getting support for it.
>>
>>52054284
Deepin looks interesting but I'm ascared of the Chinese botnet that may be lurking inside.
>>
>>52054277
Is it that easy to change DE's? I never changed DEs before, will that remove Gnome or disable it? Would I need to reinstall Gnome if I don't like it?
>>
>>52054368
Not at all. And even if you did manage do break your DE (I don't see how you could manage that by installing another one), you could just reinstall it easily. So no, you wouldn't need to reinstall if you didn't like it.

Once you log out of your current session, and you're in the Ubuntu "lock screen", click the Ubuntu icon and select which DE you wish to run for your current session. You can do that with whatever DEs and WMs you want, if memory serves correctly.
>>
>>52054300
I like Deepin more than Elementary, but I've tried it for a short period of time, sorry.
>>
Anyway, good luck with your switch, OP. Have fun. :^)
>>
>>52054368
It's super easy to change DEs, but distros dedicated to a specific DE usually include some customizations you may not get with a base install. So for example, apt-get install lxde would net a different result than apt-get install lubuntu-desktop. The former just installs LXDE as you would get it from the developer. The latter installs everything you'd get were you to use Lubuntu and will probably look better.
>>
>>52054284
dumb nigger
>>
>>52054709
Go back to twitter, Terry.
>>
>>52054042
>10min later
>muh games
>muh audio
>get back to windows
>>
>>52055019
but really, why is the audio so much worse in linux?
>>
>>52055353
but I guess thread is kill anyways
>>
>>52055353
Linux devs don't know how to write drivers and are apparently proud of this fact.
>>
>>52055353
It is not, but sometimes alsamixer mutes stuff on default and you have to write "alsamixer" in the command line and unmute it. Why it does that I have no idea, it is irritating, but easy to fix.
>>
>>52055405
This. Video is the only thing that is objectively worse on linux, and that is only because greedy fucking hardware companies don't like letting people make drivers for their proprietary shit.
>>
but xfce is love?
>>
>>52055519
XFCE is not love.
>>
>>52055519
No. It is Nirvana.
>>
>>52055379
>>52055405

thank you bros.
But anyways, I never had the problem that stuff was muted. The sound was just so much more flat and.. uncrispy, especially in comparison to windows. germanfag here, sorry.
>>
>>52055571
topkek
>>
>>52054042
I run kubuntu and mint kde, and on both machines clock seems to have a mind of its own: timezones switching randomly, utc, gmt, local time. I dont know if its kde issues or some generic linux bug.
>>
>>52055555
NICE QUINTS MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>52055555
Nice fucking fives mate
>>
>>52055555
nice numbers but it's LOVE
>>
>>52054042
>switching from slow botnet to slow botnet
lmao
>>
KDE offers no performance gain over Windows, probably a loss actually as well as about 10% of the functionality.

So yes, good choice if you're a NEET that has nothing to do but shitpost on 4chan.
>>
>>52055816
Quints never lie.
>>
>>52055831

I'm not sure about that functionality loss percentage, as there actually is some gain here and there, but you have to admit that KDE is the closest Windows replacement there is.

I agree with you on the performance side. Gnome, however, doesn't fare better in this regard (while also being a dumb, de facto uncustomizable and technically obsolete (GTK) DE for mactards).
>>
Switching is silly. I just ADD operating systems so I can have more application options.

Try Kubuntu guest in a VM on your Windows host, then switch to a Linux host and keep Windows guests to run Windows apps.

None of that "botnet" shit has the slightest effect on anyone's life, it's just a meme, but Windows annoys me for other reasons.
>>
>>52055609
Can confirm, I get this same problem. Had it on multiple distros.

Will admit though, the more cutting edge distros seem to not be as bad (i.e. Fedora/Arch is a significant improvement from like Debian or Ubuntu, but still not as good as 10).
>>
>>52056126
See this is my problem. I don't like GNOME or KDE, XFCE so far seems to be the lesser of the evils. I really like the customization and low footprint, but it just seems to break a lot when I'm tweaking it (sometimes just changing normal settings).

Someone recommend me a good DE.
>>
>>52055019
tfw audio works better on Linux on my computer
>>
>>52054042
Just switch to Windows 7 and wait for Windows 11.
>>
>>52054042
Go for Xubuntu.

If you think Win 10 is laggy, you ain't ready for Kubuntu lag.
>>
>>52056126
>KDE is the closest Windows replacement

huh maybe I should have a look.

around 2010 when ubuntu became weird, Itested several distros and settled on mint xfce because it was the most W7-like in my opinion.

Been happy with it since.
>>
File: baitalwaysbait.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
baitalwaysbait.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>52054760
>>52054284
Stable?, in Deepin it's the complete opposite..

>>52054709
^
>dumb nigger indeed
>>
>>52060392
Same here. W 10 has issues with more than one output. Debian testing works like a charm for me.
>>
KDE is less resource intensive and much richer and user friendly than Gnome and Unity.
>>
>switching from the worst Windows to the worst GNU/Linux
Do you just have bad luck?
>>
>>52059717
LXQt
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.