[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 1445478464517.jpg (162 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445478464517.jpg
162 KB, 1920x1080
GPL VIOLATION EDITION!

What GPL code are you stealing, /g/?
>>
>>52044724
i wish to violate kirie
>>
File: 1448346725022.jpg (32 KB, 305x315) Image search: [Google]
1448346725022.jpg
32 KB, 305x315
C
>>
First for MIT License.
>>
File: 799fb5b4.jpg (52 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
799fb5b4.jpg
52 KB, 1280x720
>>52044721
>>52044722

I want communists to leave.
>>
>>52044750
Is C even open source?
>>
Reminder that proprietary software can and will be stolen. You are only hurting paying customers and the programming community at large by keeping your code a secret.
>>
File: 1450763534148.png (398 KB, 508x685) Image search: [Google]
1450763534148.png
398 KB, 508x685
>>52044752
I want proprietary cucks to leave
>>
>>52044761
How the fuck should I know
>>
How do I get some IP's country, state and city clientside? (Preferably using Python)
>>
>>52044761
C is not a piece of software, it's a programming language.
It doesn't make sense to ask if it's open source.

All of the top-quality C compilers are though.
>>
File: 8u.jpg (50 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
8u.jpg
50 KB, 640x360
>>52044764
It's my program, I can do whatever I want.

Don't like my program, don't use it.
>>
>>52044785
RMS has released open-source fiction before. I'm sure they can figure out how to release open-source programming languages.
>>
>>52044792
It's my code, I can license it whichever way I want. Don't like it, don't use it.

I have nothing against using proprietary software, but I would never create it.
>>
File: trew.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
trew.jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
>>52044807
We agree, anon.

But if you say you care about freedom and release your code as GPL I will call you out for being an idiot.

GPL is not freedom, it's communism.
>>
>>52044818
I probably won't ever use the GPL myself, but I can sympathize with it.

I also don't understand the logic behind GPL = communism.
>>
>>52044818
The only right the GPL takes away from you is the right to take away the rights of others.
GPL is freedom, anon, and is in the best interests of end-users.
>>
>>52044818
Communism is freedom. It's a society where people can choose to work at whatever they want, and make the fruits of their labor available to anyone, according to other people's needs.

Free association of individuals is a part of communism.

PS: the Soviet Union wasn't communist at all. It was even further from communism, than, say, the US. Under communism, there's no forced authority. People associate freely, both for economic and social reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_society
>>
>>52044818
>GPL is not freedom, it's communism.

Exactly. BSD is freedom.
>>
>>52044752
>gpl
>supports freedom and free industry
>le commie

Christmas aside, consider hanging yoursel
>>
File: thatsfrog.png (6 KB, 485x334) Image search: [Google]
thatsfrog.png
6 KB, 485x334
>>52044877
>Communism is freedom.

Holy shit family, I am laughing my ass off!
>>
>>52044877
>arguing that communism is freedom instead of arguing that the GPL is not communism
Full retard.
>>
>>52044724
None, I have a massive case of NIH when writing shit.
and most of what I write is shit enough that I license it under the ISC license (read: 2 clause BSD, but shorter)
>>
File: Colt Patterson Percussion.jpg (242 KB, 4273x2002) Image search: [Google]
Colt Patterson Percussion.jpg
242 KB, 4273x2002
Here's how communism actually works:
- Start communist revolution
- Kill anyone who disagrees with die partei
- Now everyone agrees with communism

Good work.

Picture related: Actual freedom.
>>
Also, enforcing private property requires more oppression than making it available to everyone.
The state has to enforce private property, consequently resulting in oppression. Under communism, there's no such oppression. People choose to work at whatever they want, and make the fruits of their labor (like GPL software) available to everyone.

GPL is the beginning of the fulfillment of the Marxian prophecy.
>>
>>52044904
Well, GPL's purpose is very communistic in nature. That's not a bad thing, that's just how it is.
>>
>>52044928
>The state has to enforce private property

Absolute fucking hogwash and you know it. PEOPLE defend private property all the time. For instance, my body is my property, and when you try to violate it, I will kill you.

Easy as pie.

>People choose to work at whatever they want

I'll be a neuro-surgeon. Lemme take a crack at that skull of yours.
>>
I still don't understand what makes one language better or more effective than the next.
In C for example, i have to build my own linked list, in jave i have a Collection or an ArrayList, but i could just create a new linked list my own way and use it anyway.

What's the difference? The only thing outside of my control that i can think of is garbage collection really.
>>
Proprietary = Capitalism
MIT = Libertarianism
GPL = Communism

Is this right, /g/?
>>
>>52044893
>>52044922
I don't think you know what communism is. For some reason, many have an image of communism as a totalitarian society like the Soviet Union or North Korea. Those have nothing in common with communism at all.

Your criticism is about as retarded as criticizing democracy because North Korea calls itself as DEMOCRATIC People's Republic of Korea.
>>
>>52044794
>RMS
>open-source
>>
>>52044957
No, that's completely wrong.
>>
isnt this a programming thread
>>
>>52044941
How is it communistic at all? The GPL is about not restricting the freedom of a fucking end user of software.
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>52044922
>>
>>52044976
Licenses are programming related.
>>
>>52044976
No, that's completely wrong.
>>
File: iu.png (320 KB, 940x720) Image search: [Google]
iu.png
320 KB, 940x720
>>52044976
It's a /dpt/ thread and it's going as expected.
>>
>>52044960

Democracy is also garbage. Keep your gov't off me, Cochise.
>>
>>52044976
No this is communism thread.
>>
File: 1431481880352.png (10 KB, 600x270) Image search: [Google]
1431481880352.png
10 KB, 600x270
>if you re-publish my work do it with license you got it with
>fucking commie

You're literally this retarded. There is nothing wrong with the GPL.

baka desu senpai

>>52044882
I'm especially disappointed in you one slow gtp if you're serious.
>>
>>52044843
GPL isn't communism. Communism says the means of production belongs to the public. GPL allows people to have private software. There is no need to make GPL software to be public.
>>
File: cocktail.jpg.w300h300.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cocktail.jpg.w300h300.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
>>52044947
People also take away private property when it stays accumulated in a few hands while most people are deprived from it as well. Keeping private property in the hands of the few results in more oppression than making it available to everyone.

Check pic. related.
Which situation is more oppressive?
>5% have their property taken away, and it's even distributed
>the state oppresses 95%, making them unable to access the society's property
>>
>>52044986

If you think the Marxist approach of "Capitalism is the natural pathway to Communism! We just have to wait for it to fail!" you'll be waiting until the heat death of the universe.

God bless.
>>
>>52045010
>God bless

There's no God.
>>
>>52044996
yeah, you know, i've really come around on this and realized how retarded the majority of people are. democracy would be fucking awful. we would all be living in an SJW trade right now
>>
File: io.png (404 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
io.png
404 KB, 640x360
>Copyleft is a word
>>
>>52045008

If you took all the property and resources on the planet and gave everyone an equal share, capitalism would naturally emerge. Equal share doesn't mean equal skill, and therein lies the rub with respect to communism.

Everybody doing 'what they want' doesn't actually solve the problem of getting everyone what they need.
>>
>>52045031
oqiwje can be a word, as long as i tell you that ogiwje means pumpkin with flies on top and you start telling people that ogiwje means pumpkin with flies on top and they relay this information throughout the community.
>>
Merry Christmas from the West Coast, DPT!

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

def print_christmas_tree height
height.times do |i|
print ' ' * (height - i - 1)
puts '*' * ((2 * i) + 1)
end
print ' ' * (height - 1)
puts '*'
end

print_christmas_tree ARGV.first.to_i
>>
>>52045024
*tips fedora*
>>
File: noice.png (75 KB, 239x204) Image search: [Google]
noice.png
75 KB, 239x204
>>52045060
>tfw it's been christmas for 3.5 hrs on the beast coast
>>
>>52045060
>west coast
ew
>>
>>52044996
Communism is based on free association. This means that you're free to associate with whoever you want, as long as that association is free.

Communist society is a stateless one.

You can store as many guns as you want in the communist society, and if you need them to defend yourself, you're free to do so. In fact, communist societies would function better if many people owned guns, as to protect themselves from state and capitalist oppression.

This is the classic, Marxist communism. The Soviet "communist state" wasn't communism at all, and this is widely recognized by pretty much all modern scholars.
>>
>>52045028
Democracy worked pretty well in Rome for a few hundred years. The trick is to have it be bureaucratically inefficient by design, so corruption won't matter (as no politician will have so much power as to cause undue harm to the state if they stop serving the public interest).

Really the idea of an executive consisting of a group rather than an individual, leading a hierarchical ladder of statesmen was absolutely ingenious. It almost saddens me that it wasn't really tried again anywhere else, excepting maybe the Republic of Venice (which was too small to really count).
All I'd change is remove the hereditary nature of public offices, and boom best republic is found.
>>
>>52045070
>It's been Christmas for 21.5 hours
Fucking burgers are behind the times.
>>
>>52045076
Yep. It also works pretty damn well when left to its own accord - see Makhnovia for an example of this.
>>
>>52045076
How does one access guns in a communist society? Who makes them?
>>
>>52045090
The gunsmiths, of course.
>>
>>52045076

Marxists support guns only so far as it supports the revolution, and that's it.

>Communism is based on free association. This means that you're free to associate with whoever you want, as long as that association is free.

Communism is not the only gov't system (or lack thereof) that has free association as a central tenet. While this is a good thing, the core of communism is still completely rotten.

You won't last long if you try to redistribute my shit.

Merry Christmas.
>>
>>52045099
Do they just give em away for free?
>>
>>52045070

You mean the least coast, right?

>>52045076

>You can store as many guns as you want in the communist society

You just can't, you know, own them. Those are the people's guns, don't ya know?
>>
>>52045039
Capitalism didn't emerge until 1700s, why would it magically emerge then?
It would be within the majority's interests than to have social ownership of the means of production.

Here's an example:
Everyone who works at a company gets a share of its profits. Including the manager, who owns the business. The decisions in regards to the operation of the company are taken via voting. There are no stock owners, no business owners, no capitalists.
>>
>>52045110
Well it's not like they could charge for them, considering communist states don't have common currencies.
>>
>>52045090
you make a fist, point your index finger amd thumb out and say "pew pew"
>>
Lets get back to programming.

/dpt/ can't meme star.

star("GPL IS FOR KEKS");
"
G G G
P P P
L L L

I I I
S S S

F F F
O O O
R R R

C C C
U U U
C C C
KKK
GPL IS FOR KEKSKCUC ROF SI LPG
KKK
C C C
U U U
C C C

R R R
O O O
F F F

S S S
I I I

L L L
P P P
G G G
"
>>
>>52045078
Rome never had democracy. they had a republic. the majority (the plebeians) had no voting rights and could not be in the senate. the only political jobs they could have were as tribunes. athens had actual democracy for a short period and it worked out well enough, but you've got to take that with a grain of salt, because when the majority is in control they will often times use their power to censor their opposition and they end up being the ones writing the history. so if SJWs today got all the power in the world and forced anyone else to stay silent then in 1000 years it would look as if the SJW regime was successful democracy.
>The trick is to have it be bureaucratically inefficient by design
the roman republic basically accomplished that without being a democracy. in the same way, the US today is able to stay inefficient since the government is partially modeled on the roman republic. but if we were to switch to an athenian democracy chances are we'd immediately fall into shit because a big portion of people are retarded: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/20/40-of-millennials-ok-with-limiting-speech-offensive-to-minorities/. obviously 40% isn't enough to win, but if i have some idea i want to get through a vote and we agree to vote for each other's plans, then that is going to get passed as well.
>>
>>52045105
>Marxists support guns only so far as it supports the revolution, and that's it.

This is simply not true. Where did you get this information?

>the core of communism is still completely rotten.

The core, that is...?

>You won't last long if you try to redistribute my shit.

There would be no point in doing so if you're not depriving others from their basic needs by owning excess property. For example, if you have a storage of 10 tons of wheat while everyone is starving, that wheat would be taken away from you.

Of course it will last long. It is in the majority's interest, and the majority is stronger than the minority, as the rule of thumb.

>>52045110
They make it available to the society. Just like someone codes GPL software and makes it available to the society. There are other incentives than monetary ones, like respect, a sense of belonging to the society, fame, etc.
>>
>>52045028
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill

"Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Winston Churchill
>>
>>52045129
I forgot capitalised cuck was filtered.

star("GPL IS FOR cucks");
"
G G G
P P P
L L L

I I I
S S S

F F F
O O O
R R R

c c c
u u u
c c c
kkk
GPL IS FOR cuckskcuc ROF SI LPG
kkk
c c c
u u u
c c c

R R R
O O O
F F F

S S S
I I I

L L L
P P P
G G G
"
>>
>>52045114
>1700s

Capitalism isn't fundamentally different from mercantilism or bartering (the goal of all three being the accumulation of some material wealth). Those have been around for an incredibly long time.

Pretending as if we've always been some proto-communist hunter-gatherer society and just happened upon capitalism in 1700 is a complete load of shit, and you know it.

>Everyone who works at a company gets a share of its profits. Including the manager, who owns the business. The decisions in regards to the operation of the company are taken via voting. There are no stock owners, no business owners, no capitalists.

That's the thing. You can DO THAT in a capitalist society. You are free to experiment. The same cannot be said of a more restrictive communist society. I could not try to implement small-scale capitalism. I would be killed by you and the other faggot bolsheviks.
>>
I am copypasting together all number of differently licensed software, including some proprietary ones, obfuscating the code, and removing the license text and all other comments as well before turning it into a binary and charging $19.99 in the app store :^)
>>
>>52045155
Why would you want to regress?
>>
>>52045163
this is literally what os x is
>>
>>52045147
>There would be no point in doing so if you're not depriving others from their basic needs by owning excess property.

That's the problem. Nobody seems to know what 'excess' is. Hell, I can't even get people to delineate the difference between personal and private property.

As I already said, if you come for my things, you won't be alive to enjoy them.
>>
>>52045163
Good lad, only cucks obey the law.

I hope you make a lot of money.
>>
>>52045147
So if I wanted to use a gun, I could go into some sort of communal storehouse and grab it?

I am a lazy man - can I do nothing in a communist society and still have access to guns?
>>
File: there-was-an-attempt.jpg (34 KB, 500x466) Image search: [Google]
there-was-an-attempt.jpg
34 KB, 500x466
>>52045169
>regress

Very funny.
>>
>>52045189
>Can I do nothing in a communist society and still have access to guns?
Theoretically speaking yes, but you'll have a hard time convincing the theoretical commune of this. The whole premise of communism is "From each according to their ability, to each according to their need". If you literally have no abilities then you'd be fine. If you're just lazy or a scumbag, good luck.
>>
>>52045189

If you don't work, you are not allowed to have access to the community storehouse. This isn't wage slavery. It's totally different! ecks dee!
>>
>>52045204
How does innovation work with communism?
>>
>>52045155
It is different. In capitalism, the capitalist who owns the means of production buys labor, and then sells its products at a higher price.

In classic trade, money is traded for a commodity. In capitalism, money is traded for a commodity (labor), which is traded for more money.

Those who choose to sell their labor at a lower price than what it produces do so because they have no other choice but do so. Otherwise, they won't make any money and become homeless and alienated.

In capitalism, the trade is consequently not free. It's based on oppression:
Won't sell your labor? You will become homeless, and/or starve.
This is similar to slavery:
Won't work for your owner? You will get lashed.
>>
>>52045155
Are you 15 by some chance? Just wondering.
>>
>>52044724
Fun fact: GPL its so complex that only reading causes automatically violations and lawsutis.
>>
>>52045224
He sounds like a dumb 14 year old libertarian "muh free market is freedom" teenager. Paradoxically, he's also religious. This is funny, because you have to be literally mentally disabled to be religious in 2015.
>>
>>52045216
Just like how pretty much everything else works in communism: In the name of the greater good!
If the community would benefit from some advancement, then the community would be served by somebody making that advancement - thus it would be 'valuable labor' from a Marxist perspective, and thus justified to the commune.
>>
>>52045224
>Are you 15 by some chance?

No, if I were 15 I'd believe that communism is viable.
>>
>>52045247
So I'll take that as a yes
>>
>Notepad++'s hex editor hasn't been compatible for half a decade
>Visual Studio's binary reader is exactly that--a reader
>bunch of random ass shit quality hex editors everywhere
Where the fuck do people get a quality hex editor? Isn't it literally just a binary dump?

Does a nigga have to buttpirate IDA Pro?
>>
>>52045155
>That's the thing. You can DO THAT in a capitalist society. You are free to experiment.

You aren't. If you don't have enough wealth, your economic freedom is next to zero.
>>
>>52045245
>He sounds like a dumb 14 year old libertarian "muh free market is freedom" teenager.

The irony here is so multi-dimensional that it's on another plane of existence altogether.
>>
>>52045238
Fun fact: GPL its so complex that it made your mom gag
>>
>>52045114

There is no reason why such a system could not pop up within a capitalist economy. Just as we have a right to own property as individuals, so do we have the right to own property as collectives. Organizations do exist where there is worker or community involvement in the management of the business, some of these even being for-profit businesses.

Of course, if this is allowed, why doesn't it occur? Do we have some capitalists pressuring people not to start up businesses as collectives? Well, while there surely are barriers to entry for all businesses (many of which could rightfully be done away with, due to being wholly the creation of the state), consider the alternative hypothesis -- it's inefficient.

Most people can't manage a business very well, and do not desire a management position, especially given that it is one that requires a reasonable amount of work. Giving them a vote over the management of the business goes against their interests. Moreover, we also have to consider that with equal shares of profits must logically imply equal shares of losses. Not every business succeeds. Does one really want to risk money by working at a company? Under the current model used by nearly every company, only business owners can experience a loss if the company goes under. Employees, though they may lose their jobs if the company loses too much money, never have to worry too much about the company's success or failure. After all, they get paid either way, and they can always transfer their experiences elsewhere. While they don't stand to gain much more if the company makes billions, they at least don't risk anything. Ultimately, it becomes a question of risk vs reward. The fact that most people don't start up businesses, even when they have the startup capital to do so, suggests most people would prefer a guaranteed comfy wage, rather than a coin toss between a very luxurious wage and homelessness.
>>
>>52045267
>If you don't have enough wealth, your economic freedom is next to zero.

Wealth is easy to accrue. You get exactly what you are worth in a capitalist system. If you are worthless, you get nothing.
>>
File: tumblr_meu30mElfV1rqb96wo1_400.png (144 KB, 250x302) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_meu30mElfV1rqb96wo1_400.png
144 KB, 250x302
>ITT: IT pros and CS students trying to philosophy and history
Some replies are just fucking gold.
>>
>>52045259
KDE's is pretty nice (Okteka or smth) but I'm pretty sure it's Linux only.
>>
>ITT **⁂PROGRAMMING⁂**
Butthurt tripfags, commies, and other armchair economists ruin yet another thread
>>
>>52045290
EE here desu.
>>
>>52045289
>libertarians actually believe this
>>
>>52045301
There's KDE for Windows, so I'm sure it exists for Windows.
>>
>>52045259

I've always found HxD to be pretty good.
>>
Fun fact: GPL it's so fucking complex that has enabled big companies run by kikes profiting and dictate trends in FOSS world, meanwhile, small companies and developers have troubles only trying to comply with it.
It's fucking ironic.
>>
>>52045223
How do you respond to >>52045208 ?
>>
>>52045314
Last I heard they stopped supporting it years ago.
>>
>>52045312

It's true. Come to terms with it.
>>
>>52045289
Yeah. I'm sure you're worth a lot when you're an idiot angsty libertarian teenager and inherit a few millions from your dad.
>>
>>52045259

Just use Hex Edit.
>>
File: hjk.png (776 KB, 1755x1080) Image search: [Google]
hjk.png
776 KB, 1755x1080
>>52045312
It's true, the only thing keeping you from succeeding is yourself, anon.

You don't need society to spoon-feed you, you can do it, anon.

Just stop with this cuck mentality of yours.
>>
>>52045290
>/g/
>IT pros
>>
>>52045290
>IT pros and CS students

>tfw both
>CS grad and sysadmin
>tfw nothing wrong with gpl
>>
>>52045335

I'm not worth anything, but at least I'm honest about it. I'm not going to go out, kill a bunch of people for their shit, and say it was ethically justified because of 'communism'.

I do have morals, you know.
>>
>>52045346
see >>52045335
>>
>>52045312
>states that fact like stating that christians believe in Ray Comfort
Libertarians know that. And they fucking love it.
Its the trade off after all: Pure liberty against you value measured in property.
>>
>>52045355
That's not why plutocide is justified. I mean it is justified, but that's not why.
>>
>>52045352
>script kiddies
The fact its the same, theyr'e know shit.
>>
File: Screenshot (8).png (274 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (8).png
274 KB, 1920x1080
>>52045326
Well, it "works"
The Find and Replace is ass though.
>>
>>52045223
thats a childish way of looking at capitalism, basically youre saying that if you dont own the entire means of production you are a slave. So if a person wants to manufacture cars he has to mine the iron ore, smelt it, forge it into parts, assemble it. But if 5 guys work together to do the seperate steps of manufacture, all of a sudden they are slaves because they are dividing the sale price of the car among themselves. This is why communism has always failed, it has always been led by jealose idiots who attract idiots with the incentive of stealing from people who have enough brains to use proper economics and create real wealth
>>
File: Screenshot (9).png (72 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (9).png
72 KB, 1920x1080
>>52045316
lmao
expected as much from a proprietary glorified text editor
>>
File: ji.jpg (87 KB, 736x748) Image search: [Google]
ji.jpg
87 KB, 736x748
It's Christmas and I'm on /g/ shitposting about politics.
>>
>>52045423
You're also not getting any presents from Santa for staying up all night.
Someone's on the naughty list.
>>
>>52045423

FeElS gOoD
>>
File: dddd.jpg (284 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
dddd.jpg
284 KB, 600x600
>>52045316
So many fun memories of using HxD to edit my Xbox 360 profile to cheat on Call of Duty 4.
>>
>>52045423
>>52045459
Kill yourselves, dumb frogposters.
>>
>>52045472
>posting on an imageboard without an image
inb4 irony
>>
>>52045324
it's not really ironic, since if a company is having trouble complying with GPL code it's because they want to do precisely what the GPL license wants them NOT to do (that is, distribute or market closed-source software to others). Small business vs big business has absolutely nothing to do with the intentions behind the GPL license.

I got to attend a speech by Stallman last year and, sure enough, one of the more insufferable students passive-aggressively compared open-source software to communism. According to Stallman, the GPL has nothing to do with economics; he (and the rest of the GNU project) simply believes that people should be allowed use a computer with the knowledge that--unless they specifically install closed-source proprietary software--their computer isn't reporting every little thing they do to Microsoft or Google or some ad company.

Considering how most of the people who so vehemently criticize the GPL license are dumb teenaged/college-aged libertarian douchebags, you'd think that would appeal to their sense of independence and privacy and so on.
>>
File: sds.png (210 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
sds.png
210 KB, 640x360
>>52045507
That's another thing, big business can afford to violate GPL licences, small companies and individuals can't.

It's like minimum wage, the small companies are losing out the most.
>>
>>52045565
Why are you such a faggot? Copyright infringement is copyright infringement. Don't do it if you don't want to get fucked.

Why are you so afraid of releasing your source, anyways?
>>
>>52045594

It's less so much not wanting to release their source and more not wanting people to copy, modify, and redistribute their code without them getting paid for it.
>>
>>52045644
Isn't that exactly what they are trying to do in the first place?
>>
File: povmech.webm (3 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
povmech.webm
3 MB, 853x480
Ask your beloved programming literate anything.
>>
>>52045776
What is a ``FROB''?
>>
Any wget users here?

wget \
--recursive \
--no-directories \
--directory-prefix=~/imgb/proni/test-00 \
--accept '.jpg,.jpeg,.png,.gif,.webm' \
--span-hosts \
--domains=i.4cdn.org \
--execute robots=off \
>>52042475

I am going to make a script that uses wget to download all of the images/webms in a 4chan thread. The above wget command works but I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to use a tilde "~" with the --directory-prefix? I expected it to expand the tilde but it did not (it created a folder "~").

2) Is there a smart way to "reject" the thumbnails?

3) Would you recommend using "-‐limit-rate", "‐‐wait", and "‐‐random-wait"? Would I be putting a strain on the servers if I didn't use those parameters? I don't want to be rude.

I know I'm not the only person to use wget to dl on 4chan. I expected to find some info on rbt.asia, but it is down for me.
>>
Why is every library written for C when those libraries are only used with C++?
>>
I'm running GPL code on my server applications. As long as I'm not giving anyone else a binary, I'm safe.
>>
>>52045829
Because they're used with C too.
>>
>>52045885
That's false because nobody uses C.
>>
>>52045812

A monofrob in the category of endofrobnicators.
>>
>>52045828
>1) Is it possible to use a tilde "~" with the --directory-prefix? I expected it to expand the tilde but it did not (it created a folder "~").
Tilde is replaced by shell. So if you're running your command using a shell, tilde shall be replaced.

>3) Would you recommend using "-‐limit-rate", "‐‐wait", and "‐‐random-wait"? Would I be putting a strain on the servers if I didn't use those parameters? I don't want to be rude.
No I wouldn't. 4chan has so many users you're not even going to consume a fraction of a fraction of traffic.
4chan delivers content through cloudflare. Being rude to cloudflare is no problem.
At some point cloudflare might start asking you for captchas, though, and then you'd have to think about delays.
>>
>>52045889
The most used operating system kernel is written almost entirely in C.
>>
>>52045889
Then why do people write libraries for it? Checkmate.
>>
File: fibonacci spiral.png (4 KB, 220x139) Image search: [Google]
fibonacci spiral.png
4 KB, 220x139
>>52037795
>>52038346

MEMEMEMEMEME     
MEME MEM
EME EME
MEM M
ME EM
ME MEME EME
E EME MEM
M MEME

class Meme {

public static void main(final String[] args) {
final String text = "EMEM";
final int windowSize = 38;
final int cropLeft = 1;
final int cropRight = 11;
final int cropTop = 4;
final int cropBottom = 7;

final int xSize = windowSize;
final int ySize = windowSize / 2;
final char[] str = text.toCharArray();
final char[][] arr = new char[ySize][xSize];

final double a = 1.0; // scale
final double b = Math.log(1.61803398874989484820) / (Math.PI / 2);
final double c = Math.pow(Math.E, b);

double theta = 0.0;

int strIdx = 0;

for(int i = 0; i < ySize; ++i) {
for(int j = 0; j < xSize; ++j) {
arr[i][j] = ' ';
}
}

while(true) {
final int x = (int) (a * Math.cos(theta) * Math.pow(c, theta));
final int y = (int) (a * Math.sin(theta) * Math.pow(c, theta)) / 2;

// increment the angle by a lower amount for better accuracy, a higher amount for higher speed
theta += 0.0001;

if(Math.abs(x) >= xSize || Math.abs(y) >= ySize) {
break;
}

if(Math.abs(x) >= xSize / 2 || Math.abs(y) >= ySize / 2) {
continue;
}

if(arr[ySize / 2 - y][xSize / 2 + x] != ' ') {
continue;
}

arr[ySize / 2 - y][xSize / 2 + x] = str[strIdx++ % str.length];
}

int top = 0;
int bottom = 0;

for(final char[] line : arr) {
if(top++ < cropTop | bottom++ >= ySize - cropBottom) {
continue;
}

int left = 0;
int right = 0;

for(final char ch : line) {
if(left++ < cropLeft | right++ >= xSize - cropRight) {
continue;
}
System.out.print(ch);
}
System.out.println();
}
}

}
>>
How do I get started with the synacor challenge?
>>
>>52045889
>>52045829
People do use C; also C++ has much worse binary compatibility between compiled libraries compared to C.
>>
Ok, I'm going through "The C Programming Language" and I don't really get what End Of File is supposed to be.
Can someone explain it to me? Is there a retard-proof C book?
>>
>>52045986
What do you not get in particular?
>>
>>52044778
There are online APIs for that.
>>
>>52045986
It's a value you get which says that there is nothing else to read from a file.
It's a special value which is outside the range of normal chars ((int)-1 i think), which is why the C character functions deal with ints instead of chars.
>>
>>52045894
Thanks for the reply.

>Tilde is replaced by shell. So if you're running your command using a shell, tilde shall be replaced.
I am running Lubuntu 15.10. My terminal (LXTerminal) is using bash. When I copy/paste the command I listed above, it creates new directories "~/imgb/proni/test-00" in my current dir. It doesn't expand "~". I also stuck the command in script. I ran the script and got the same results.

This isn't a huge issue as I can give the complete path. But I would like to use the "~" if possible.

>At some point cloudflare might start asking you for captchas, though, and then you'd have to think about delays.
One site I was using as a reference recommended a random time between 30 and 90 seconds. Is that reasonable or longer than needed for cloudfare? I have any concept of what is too fast or just right for a server.
>>
Is C++ the only option for graphics programming?

Also, apparently vulkan will be fundamentally different from OpenGL, it won't even have a state machine or anything.

Should I wait til it's released before trying to learn graphics programming?
>>
File: 1416883813748.png (360 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
1416883813748.png
360 KB, 900x720
>>52045903
I've got an even better meme idea, anon, but it will take a lot of time to do tbqh.
>>
>>52046060
Looks like tilde doesn't work for me also.
But you can replace it with HOME environment variable and then it does work.

--directory-prefix=$HOME/imgb/proni/test-00

>Is that reasonable or longer than needed for cloudfare?
Don't do any delay at all.
>>
>>52045986
EOF is a character that tells whatever is reading it that the file is over.
>>
>>52046080
C++ is the best option. it's possible to do it in other languages but you'll be doing the same type of thing in a more convoluted way (like using native ByteBuffers in java) so you may as well use C++. opengl is still plenty relevant, especially for mobile, so i think you should just learn opengl now if you want to learn graphics programming. if you move on to vulkan later it'll still be good to be familiar with the basic concepts at least
>>
>>52046080
You can do OpenGL easily in C#, Java, and even Javascript.
>>
File: bearhello.jpg (682 KB, 748x744) Image search: [Google]
bearhello.jpg
682 KB, 748x744
>>52045812
Thank you for your question. frob is a data structure from the mit introduction course to computer science. if i recall correctly, it's just a linked list node.
>>
>>52046153
>using native ByteBuffers in java
>for OpenGL

Please anon. Of course you don't have to do that.
>>
>>52046157
Oh, so it's like node.js?
>>
>>52046110
Alright, thanks again.
>>
File: uui9.png (481 KB, 626x988) Image search: [Google]
uui9.png
481 KB, 626x988
How do I learn JS senpai?
>>
>>52046170
either that or you use an ordinary java array and it'll be the same as using an array in C++ but with horrible performance. you're just calling C/C++ wrapper functions so you may as well have your own code in C++ as well.
>>
>>52046191
What are you storing in those arrays that impose horrible performance limitations, anon?
>>
>>52045507
I could accept that, but I always remember that Stallman originally wrote the GPL with a clearly anti corporative spirit on it.
>>
File: zBb23so.jpg (172 KB, 800x1195) Image search: [Google]
zBb23so.jpg
172 KB, 800x1195
>>52046173
>>52046157
>>52045812
http://craveforme.blogspot.com/2015/04/edx-python-final-problem-7.html
>>
>>52046153
Can I interface with C++ for performance critical/graphics functions and write the rest of the program in another language? Is that viable?
I don't like C++ very much, to be honest.
>>
>>52046231
OpenGL libraries for Java and C# already do that for you. That anon is just talking nonsense.
>>
>>52045594
Because I don't want to give away a opportunity to recover my inversion at least?

Because my code could reveal big details about the inner workings of a piece of hardware I developed and the chinks could raid and copy without shame?

Because I simply can close my code?
>>
>>52046190
There's a guy named Douglas Cuckford that does good lectures on JS.

He's a bit of an autist, but he's good.
>>
>>52046250
>recover my inversion
>>
>>52046262
>green text is an argument
>>
>>52046307
I'm not the person you're arguing with.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-25+at+05.26.25).png (71 KB, 1061x680) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-25+at+05.26.25).png
71 KB, 1061x680
>>52046250
>recover my inversion
>>
File: ee4.gif (487 KB, 280x220) Image search: [Google]
ee4.gif
487 KB, 280x220
>>52046318
Autism
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>52046239
But aren't those languages
>garbage collected
?
>>
>>52046347
Yes, and?
>>
>>52046347
GC is great for huge projects with lots of shit going on.

I mean, UE4 is garbage collected and it uses C++.
>>
>>52046355
I dunno, /g/ told me it's a bad thing and that you're not a real programmer if you don't do manual memory management.
>>
>>52046239
because making a JNI call + locking + potentially copying the array every time you upload a uniform or upload to a VBO will give you optimal performance

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/jni/spec/functions.html#GetPrimitiveArrayCritical_ReleasePrimitiveArrayCritical

you will still be making the same function calls to interface with opengl so you really don't gain much by using java or C# for graphics programming
>>
>>52046367
/g/ was mistaken at that time.
>>
I'm making a fucking steganography tool for PNGs, what retarded methods should I implement?
>>
>>52046376
>/g/ was mistaken

Naturally.
>>
>>52046347
GC is not a problem as long as you don't instantiate objects and throw them away during times where performance matters
>>
>>52046369
>so you really don't gain much by using java or C# for graphics programming
You don't LOSE much. There is a performance overhead compared to C++, but considering GPU is the bottleneck anyway, it's negligible. People use C# and Java not because they want performance, but because it's comfortable to use.
>>
>>52045829

C is the main language used for creating native extensions to interpreted languages. It is not just used with C++.
>>
>>52046395
>People use C# and Java not because they want performance, but because it's comfortable to use.
graphics programming isn't comfortable either way
>>
File: 1446108593889.png (62 KB, 382x395) Image search: [Google]
1446108593889.png
62 KB, 382x395
>>52045993
If I printf EOF I get -1, but if I type -1 in the example program
#include<stdio.h>

main()
{
int c;

while ((c = getchar()) != EOF)
putchar(c);
}

it doesn't end the program.
What does the -1 I get from print(EOF) mean?

Also, why does c = getchar() != EOF set c to 0 or 1? (and how can I verify that?)
>>
>>52046406
It's more comfortable when you use language and IDE you like.
>>
>>52045829
C++ has an unstable ABI, making it next to useless for library code.
>>
>>52045507
You made sound to simple.
The problem is the GPL is complex, and you can easily taint code with GPL and voilá, you have a violation, even if you haven't taken any code of a GPL.
This is common with propietary applications trying to link to GPL libraries or use some GPL toolchain to finish they program. Big companies could afford lawyers and programmers to review their products and avoid GPL violations. Small companies usually can't do that.
And don't let me start on tivoization. I find rather stupid that a software license should dictate you hardware should work to run some GPL v3 code.
Oh, and I find the license every iteration more complex. I replaced my Nyquil with a full text of the GPL v3.
>>
>>52046406
>he isn't autistic
>>
>>52046411
When you type -1, getchar returns two characters instead - minus and one.
Instead of putchar(c); you can use printf("[%d]\n",c) - this will output character code of each character you type. Both minus and one will have some positive character codes.
EOF is not strictly a character even - it is a special code used to signal that the file you're reading is all finished.
If you're reading from standard input stream (that is, black console window), ctrl+d will end input on linux, and ctrl+z enter on Windows.
>>
>>52046411
>I type -1
That's the literal characters '-' and '1', which is represented as the integers 45 and 49 respectively (search for an ascii or
man ascii
).
if you want to convert characters to a number, use a function like atoi() or strtol().

The way to signal an EOF when running your program is Ctrl-D on *nix or Ctrl-Z on Windows.
>>
File: man gets hit by train.gif (656 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
man gets hit by train.gif
656 KB, 400x300
>reading c++ book so I can get into coding for real
>finish chapter about pointers
>reading summary
>so now that I've explained to you that pointers do exactly what references do but with slightly more annoying syntax, you're probably wondering why the cuntflapping fuck you would ever need to use that dickbag of a concept
>so you can allocate memory on the heap, of course, you fucking retard
>finish chapter on dynamic memory allocation
>book never explains why the fuck I would ever need to do that other than 'it's more dynamic nstuff'
someone help me here

in return: a probably misleadingly titled gif
>>
>>52046411
If you type "-1", you are typing a -, then a 1, and processing two characters.

You can press Ctrl+D to enter an EOF character and get the desired result.
>>
>>52046462

stack space is limited, fambly.
>>
>>52046411
Recall for a moment that by convention (well, for some functions) every return code less than zero is an error, while zero and up is meaningful information. Therefore you can literally replace that with
(c=getchar())>=0)
and you would still get the desired result.
>>
>>52046426

This too. If you write a library in C++, and you want it to be usable on Windows, you must release one version for the MinGW toolchain, and one version for the Visual Studio toolchain.

If you write it in C, you can use the same binary for both toolchains, because no name mangling occurs.
>>
File: supergirl-02.webm (660 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
supergirl-02.webm
660 KB, 640x360
>>52045828
>2) Is there a smart way to "reject" the thumbnails?
Ok, I figured out a solution.

wget \
--recursive \
--no-directories \
--directory-prefix=$HOME/imgb/proni/test-00 \
--accept '.jpg,.jpeg,.png,.gif,.webm' \
--reject '*s.jpg' \
--span-hosts \
--domains=i.4cdn.org \
--execute robots=off \
>>52042475

4chan appends an 's' to the end of all thumbnails jpgs. So specify the pattern to reject. I didn't think this solution would work. I mistakenly believed that images could have non-numeric names, like "images.jpg". But it looks like the filenames that I see in a thread get converted to a number. Blah, blah , blah...whatever. It works.

Now I can dump Flashgot.
>>
>>52046356
ue4 is actually garbage collected? important to note that using smart pointers is not garbage collection
>>
>>52046462
Because it's more dynamic nstuff
>>
>>52046462
wait that wasn't misleadingly titled
also, to ask the question in a format that anyone's actually going to read

//why the fuck would I want to allocate memory on the heap?
>>
>>52045507
>libertarians crying because a software license has emphasis in "positive freedoms"
In other news, the sun rises in the morning.
Of course they will critize the GPL, libertarians love "negative liberties" and the GPL isn't too "negative" for them.
>>
>>52046355
>>52046367
>>52046376
using smart pointers is easier than more strictly manual memory management but still better than garbage collection
>>
>>52046498
Yes, it's fully garbage collected. You can even fiddle with the GC settings in the main options menu.
>>
>>52046488
That's Windows fault, where DLLs are designed to have case-insensitive symbols from a time when C++ compatibility wasn't even thought of. To get around that Microsoft invented the abortion that is COM, when they really should have extended the runtime linker in the first place. Blame Microsoft for not fixing their runtime linker.
>>
>>52046529
Did he die?
>>
>>52046529
- Heap space is MUCH larger than stack space, so all all very large things needs to be allocated on the heap
- Creating dynamic structures (linked lists, resizeable arrays) on the stack is pretty much impossible
- Returning things that have a lifetime greater than the function it was created in
>>
>>52046547
Easier (not really - just as easy at best, never easier) for trivial tasks. For complex data structures you'd have to need the notion of ownership. Which is something you'd have to think about instead of your actual problem. Then there are circular references that smart pointers do not handle at all.
>>
>>52046554
Not at all, it's because C++ standard does not specify how symbols must be mangled and instead leaves that to implementation.
>>
>>52046537
Communists please go.

/g/ is a conservative board.
>>
>>52046582
>programmers shouldn't have to understand the concept of ownership
>what is weak_ptr
>>
>>52046598
Isn't the usual way to preface every type with an @?

@int_main@int@void@@
>>
>>52046607
>be on 4chan
>be conservative goyim
might as well say that this isn't an anime imageboard
>>
PROGRAMMING
>>
File: erw.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
erw.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>>52046537
I'm not even a Libertarian senpai.

I'm all for free markets and enterprise, but I'm also a fan of protectionism and restricting immigration to the bear minimum.
>>
>>52046625
Yes, you don't need to.
With garbage collected languages you can spend your time doing actually relevant things.

>>52046630
Nowhere near.
>>
>>52046484
oh sorry I didn't see this
(I have all trips filtered from browsing /fog/ and forgot to turn it off)

How limited though? I've never managed to use it all up even when I was dicking around with hilariously huge arrays

>>52046575
>Heap space is MUCH larger than stack space, so all all very large things needs to be allocated on the heap
I hear this said a lot but I've never seen it quantified
can you change how much stack space your application gets?

>Creating dynamic structures (linked lists, resizeable arrays) on the stack is pretty much impossible
I remember doing this sort of thing in java for a cs course I was in for like a week, how does a language like java manage heap vs. stack? Going by what I've heard about java I'm going to assume it's in a completely retarded way, right?
where I read about using a pointer for the next element, in java I seem to recall just making another object within the object. I think it got a bit fucky but I might also just be a retard

>Returning things that have a lifetime greater than the function it was created in
Isn't this bad practice though? Wouldn't it be hard to make sense of which variables are where in code if the programmer can ignore scope at will?
>>
>>52046488
Obviously the solution is not to support Visual Studio bloatware, and have the same name mangling everywhere.
>>
File: disappointed scotsman.jpg (50 KB, 540x694) Image search: [Google]
disappointed scotsman.jpg
50 KB, 540x694
>>52046651
>I'm also a fan of protectionism
>>
>>52046670
>How limited though?

It depends, but usually not very big.
>>
>>52046651
I don't care really. I only like to explain the different concepts of freedom that GPL and/or BSD licenses works.
There isn't such a only type of freedom.
:^)
>>
>>52046670
>can you change how much stack space your application gets?
Not portably.

>how does a language like java manage heap vs. stack?
EVERYTHING besides primitive types goes on the heap.

>Isn't this bad practice though?
No. It's how you return a lot of shit from functions.
>>
>>52045031
Words are social constructs.
Fucking "hangry" and "manspreading" are words now, ffs.
It seems our society has no hope.
>>
>>52046661
>i want to build a good car but i shouldn't have to understand how engines work
of course you don't need to. doesn't mean you shouldn't.
>spend your time doing actually relevant things
>implying this doesn't come at a measurable cost
>implying performance doesn't matter
>implying it's even that hard anyway
>>
>>52046700
GPL isn't freedom, anon. Stop with this meme, will you?

>>52046687
I'd go even further desu senpai and say I like the idea of an autarky.
>>
>>52046630
Not at all
#include <vector>

namespace cplusplus_is_a_horrible_meme {
std::vector<int> why_the_hell_would_anyone_use_this()
{
std::vector<int> i_bet_most_sepplesfags_couldnt_even_make_their_own_dynamic_array = {0};
return i_bet_most_sepplesfags_couldnt_even_make_their_own_dynamic_array;
}
}

int main()
{
auto the_type_system_is_so_ugly_they_had_to_add_auto = cplusplus_is_a_horrible_meme::why_the_hell_would_anyone_use_this();
}

$ nm -A a.out
a.out:00000000004007d6 T _ZN28cplusplus_is_a_horrible_meme34why_the_hell_would_anyone_use_thisEv
>>
File: sweaty guy.png (441 KB, 300x900) Image search: [Google]
sweaty guy.png
441 KB, 300x900
>>52046745
>autarky
god fucking damn anon I'm almost mad
I almost want you to try and defend protectionism, so I can call you a faggot and be done with it
>>
>>52046744
It's a tradeoff and I choose the option that saves my time.
To each his own but if you think doing it the tedious and error-prone way makes you a greater person, I pity you.
>>
>>52046758
>using a meme operating system
>>
File: 1320120239772.png (132 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1320120239772.png
132 KB, 500x500
>>52046758
Oh, so it's the anon who forces the sepples word. Never mind.

pic related, it's you.
>>
>>52046828
it was pretty popular on text boards
>>
File: logo.gif (6 KB, 133x63) Image search: [Google]
logo.gif
6 KB, 133x63
Why aren't you coding in Free Pascal, /dpt/?
>Portable
>Fast
>Beautiful syntax
>Best GUI bulder
>Has all the libraries you'd ever need
>Friendly and helpful community
There's no excuse.
>>
>>52046841
>>Shit syntax
>>Shit GUI bulder
>>Has no libraries you'd ever need
>>community
>>
>>52046768
I just think having to rely on other countries is cuck-like tbthwy.
>>
>>52046849
>no attempt at logic
>just /pol/-tier m-muh cucks
come on anon, please
>>
>>52046841

I want to. I need to join the Lazarus master race.
>>
File: 1448489292442.jpg (102 KB, 800x789) Image search: [Google]
1448489292442.jpg
102 KB, 800x789
Hey /dpt/, what do I do after learning basic syntax? I've gone through codecademy's python course but now I'm not sure where to go for more learning. Doing if statements and loops forever until I take my programming course next semester seems boring. Making games sounds fun but I think I'm still ill-equipped for that.
>>
>>52046863
But it explains my position clearly, what do you hate about the idea of a country being self-sufficient?
>>
>>52046877
Here's one of more recent ones: http://adventofcode.com/
>>
>>52046773
no, i agree, it's definitely a tradeoff. i use c# all the time, and like it more than c++ in a lot of ways. but i think the "why know how it works if i don't need to?" philosophy is harmful to cs as a field. also i'm a game developer so performance matters more to me than most. i get pissed off because a lot of retards are using unity, a bloated engine on top of an already much-slower-than-native runtime, to develop nightmarishly inefficient games that run like shit even on a good machine half the time, and since they "don't need to know how it works under the hood", they aren't even knowledgeable enough to optimize where they could in their own code. and since unity does everything for them they never bother learning anything actually technical, which stifles the medium.
>>
Why aren't you coding in Haskell, /dpt/?
>Portable
>Fast (compiles to Cmm, so it's as fast as C)
>Beautiful and compact syntax
>GUI builder (GTK bindings with gtk2hs)
>Has all the libraries you'd ever need (via C bindings)
>Enthusiastic community
There's no excuse.
>>
>>52046892
I hate nothing about self-sufficiency. It's just a pointless goal outside of total global war because it is so massively detrimental
free trade isn't chosen for the benefit of other countries. Tariffs on imports hurt the local economy immensely
>>
>>52046897
I never actually claimed that you don't need to know, and the fact that I was able to point out "smart" pointers do not handle circular references at all is all but a proof that I know how to work with pointers very well.

But for a person who's learning there should be priorities, and I don't think working with pointer si on top.
>>
wait are you CS fuckers actually telling me that assembly is just syntactic crust for C?
what the fuck.
if not, how come most asm code is just manipulating registers and then triggering a C function call?
>>
>>52046914
my experience with cabal suggests that (A) is pretty much not true at all and if I actually want to make something that's basically a prerequisite
>>
>>52046948
Your assumptions are incorrect.
>>
>>52046919
"programmers shouldn't have to understand the concept of ownership"
"Yes, you don't need to."
maybe a misunderstanding but that's how i read it. also, once again, weak pointers. error-prone as they may be, it's still enough that you can't really say smart pointers don't handle circular references "at all". there is something in place for them, you just have to know how to use it.
>>
>>52046948
>wait are you CS fuckers actually telling me that assembly is just syntactic crust for C?

The whole "C is just Assembly++" maymay is tired. Ignore it.
>>
>>52047019
Weak pointers do not handle circular references. Circular reference is formed by strong pointers pointing to each other. Your weak pointers solution does not solve circular reference problem - instead you're suggesting not making circular references at all.
>>
>>52047039
I'm talking the other way around. Apparently most of asm is just reverse sugar for C's
syscall()
function.
>>
>>52046914
>so it's as fast as C
That's not how source-to-source compiling works, m8.
>>
>>52047054
You are mistaken about that. Hope this helps.
>>
>>52047054
depends on where it's used, no?
Like libc is probably full of syscalls, but something like ffmpeg probably uses asm for the SIMD instructions, and something like luajit probably does all sorts of not-kosher fuckery
all are equally valid uses of asm in a larger project
>>
>>52047066
Are you sure? Because now that I've done a little of both I'm not really seeing much difference between them.
>>
>>52046919
i agree with your second point, though. certainly not a high priority for a beginner. but a truly good programmer is going to have to learn things like that eventually, even if they use a managed language in their day-to-day, say. plateauing just because you don't technically need to know any more seems pretty unambitious to me
>>
>>52047081
Yes, I am sure.
>>
>>52044845
End users only care about getting work done. If the proprietary software suits the end-user more then they will cough up the money.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.