[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: 1448488709449.jpg (94 KB, 500x968) Image search: [Google]
1448488709449.jpg
94 KB, 500x968
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread

If you have any GNU/Linux related questions, ask in the friendly linux thread
>>>/g/flt
>>
File: lol (3).jpg (62 KB, 1900x1200) Image search: [Google]
lol (3).jpg
62 KB, 1900x1200
made a small windows server running off of an old laptop.

what servers should I install? I already have http & ftp
>>
Do pdfs have metadata like "Author, Data, Title, Publisher" in the file?
>>
My phone suddenly has a thin pink line from top to bottom on the left side.
Is there any way to fix this?
>>
>>52025859
sounds like dead pixels due to bending
>>
I want to brush up on computer networks, which books should I read?

I have all of the basic certs, but I haven't had to think about the way networks function in several years. I can vaugely remember how VLANs interact with subnets and IPs and shit, so I'm basically starting from the beginning again.

What are some good books I should be looking at? A focus towards pen testing or security precautions would be a good bonus, but not strictly required.
>>
is there anyway to save putty settings so i don't have to change my appearance everytime
>>
I want to play dmc4 on a portable gaming device that wont look too out of place while taking the train to work. Some things i googled are so big and look retarded. Namely the razer tablet with the 2 playstation move handles.
Obviously it does need buttons and analog sticks and good performance is important.
>>
>>52025952
Yeah. just did a test and it went away. Thanks.
>>
Any good AC wifi adapters that support kali linux?
>>
how to go through BIOS and switch from integrated to external graphics if there is no display? Sometimes my card works sometimes it doesn't.
>>
Why can't my computers see my phone on the network?
>>
is it possible to save a linux install (including all the programs, modifications i made, etc.) as a bootable installation and install it on a different computer just like a fresh install?
>>
>>52026011
no there actually isnt

my CS professor at psu changes his colors everytime he logs in, so i assume he's done the research lol
>>
>>52026329
it should default to the integrated chip if you remove the card entirely

if it doesnt, you have an incredibly shitty mobo
>>
>>52026429
They don't have eyes?

Really though, with what program are you trying to ''see'' your phone with?
>>
>>52026540
Just the network tab of the file explorer. I was trying to see if I could transfer files from PC to smartphone via wifi.
>>
>>52026573
That will only work with devices that are properly configured, which I doubt is possible easily with phones.

You can try ''Wifi File Transfer'' on the Google Play Store, or even simply Dropbox.
>>
I'm having some computer crashes and the online troubleshooting I did said it was probably a corrupted or outdated driver. I have no idea what one it is though. Are there any programs that can check all drivers on your system and driect you to update / reinstall them?
>>
>>52026872
yes. google for how to look at the crash logs. it should be a dump file.
>>
Is there a subnetwork/ip network calculator tool available somewhere which dynamically auto-generates an explanation for any calculating operation you feed into it, along with displaying the core result itself.

Kinda like the example explanation text in this thing here excep that it changes along with the variables you feed into the calculation field itself

webtools.live2support.com/nt_subnet.php

The more accessible the calculation process is explained afterwards the better, it's not a must however.

It would also be dank if it had some further advanced input variables but that's not a must either 2bh i just want the result to be reliable because some of those calculators are giving me different results all the time

Surely there must be something like this out there among those metric shittons of pre-made network calculators... Right?
>>
>>52026962
Checking now. Will report back if I can't google away all my problems.
>>
>>52025578
bought gta 5 today trying to get enough space on my solid state drive.

Could I move my windows folder to my 1TB hard drive? I try and keep programs on the solid state drive and everything else on the hard drive.

pls no bully
>>
im trying to find drivers for my vid card that work on linux mint. i did this http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86

but it doesnt' work. how do i fix this shit.
>>
>>52026509
yes, what tools you use to do it vary depending on which distro you use. I'm gonna take a guess and say you use some flavor of buntu? if so look into uck

>>52026573
>>52026612
any android filemanager should let you transfer files over wifi, alternately there's a nifty little app whose name currently escapes me but it turns your phone basically into a wifi usb
>>
>>52027116
here's what it says what you try to install it

Could not open the file /home/eric/.cache/.fr-yh…ler-15.302-x86.x86_64.run

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.
>>
>>52027108
You bought a 120gb SSD as a boot drive didn't you anon? That wasn't smart anon. Keep windows on the ssd, your computer will run faster. GTAV is like 40 gb isn't it?
>>
>>52026573
Just use Dropbox or Google Drive

Also what's stopping you from simply connecting your phone via USB?
>>
>>52027163
65GB.

Should I look into buying a bigger SSD?
>>
>>52027177
not him, but i feel like your options are pretty obvious right now. what are you actually asking?
>>
Does anybody have an idea for a movie I could watch?
>>
>>52027241
star wars
creed
joy
the martian

all of these are good or at least not terrible choices if you're going to the movies.
>>
>>52027241
check out bridge of spies, it's a tom hanks flick
>>
File: 1450484887748_0.webm (863 KB, 240x426) Image search: [Google]
1450484887748_0.webm
863 KB, 240x426
Does anyone know any screen recorders for an Android phone that does not need me to root?
>>
>>52027062
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000109 (0xa3a01f59ea4db4fa, 0xb3b72be03ccb5bb3, 0xfffff8034d864dd4, 0x0000000000000001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 4b0a23b4-dfe1-4f9b-bdf1-bba0ca74119c.

I don't know what any of this means. I googled the bugcheck number, and It told me what I already knew, that its probably a corrupted driver or possibly data corruption in my install. I'm scanning for viruses now, and also checking other things.

I'd try /wsr/ but it's mostly anime requests right now and this doesn't deserve it's own thread.
>>
>>52027256
>>52027262
Thanks!
Going for bridge of spies, since I already saw the martian.
>>
>>52027273
I >think< developer tools can do it, though it's a remote desktop kinda affair to your phone.
>>
>>52027303
Developer tools?
>>
>>52027369
http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adt.html
>>
>>52025815

They can, depending on the program used to create the PDF.

My boss has been copy/pasting the same Word doc for new contracts since January of 2003. I know this because he entered the date in the "title" field, so whenever he creates a new one that date shows up as the window heading in Acrobat.
>>
Why is the difference between --sport and --dport so difficult to understand?

Who care about source port? I thought connections just queried on certain ports and shit, so who cares what port the connection originated from?

I just don't get it. Help me understand, /g/.
>>
File: 1450625590351.jpg (186 KB, 480x683) Image search: [Google]
1450625590351.jpg
186 KB, 480x683
So I'm returning my laptop to best buy tomorrow so I can buy another one during boxing week

Can I trust that they will factory reset it properly and no one can get my data?

Knowing that I'm returning it for a full refund after using it for almost a month makes me wonder. What are my chances of being a laptop thats already been used?

Theres no hardware or software I could put on this one that would allow me to track it when the next person buys it is there?
>>
Can I get a plain 3.5mm cable and hook one laptop's headphone port to another laptop's microphone port?
>>
>>52027868
Wait, wait, wait... I think I get it.

Source port is relevant for replies, which is why NEW is never defined for rules with --sport.
>>
File: code_quality.png (65 KB, 740x258) Image search: [Google]
code_quality.png
65 KB, 740x258
How can a self taught programmer learn proper programming style and such?

Any good book recommendations or source code that would be good to read?

(specifically for C, C++, python)

Picrelated
>>
>>52027946
Apparently the answer is yes. Now I can watch chinese cartoons and play chinese video games at the same time.
>>
>>52027991
>>52027870
here is the command:

check your discharge cycles on the battery with

cmd
powercfg /batteryreport

open the file and look at your cycle count.

it's saved in your bios, which means that it will stay even after factory reset.
>>
>>52027985
>How can a self taught programmer learn proper programming style and such?

Read popular projects in whatever language/platform you're interested in.

>C++

C++ programming style has changed drastically over time. Also, there are about a million different camps of religious adherence to random selections of language features and code styles.
>>
>>52028010

What does this mean? Can I hide a keylogger there or something?
>>
Stupid question
What does the majority use for pointers (the *-operator)?

int* pointer;

int *pointer;

int * pointer;

I learned
int *pointer;

But I'm not sure it this is the standard, since I've seen alot of people using it differently.
>>
>>52027870
>Can I trust that they will factory reset it properly and no one can get my data?

Probably.

>Theres no hardware or software I could put on this one that would allow me to track it when the next person buys it is there?

Yes. But your focus should be wiping your data, not going all NSA on the next owner. Deleting what you don't want people to see followed by defragmenting the drive should be enough.
>>
File: reimu_mad.png (240 KB, 550x700) Image search: [Google]
reimu_mad.png
240 KB, 550x700
>>52027870
> Can I trust that they will factory reset it properly and no one can get my data?
Trust no one.

>What are my chances of being a laptop thats already been used?
I can assure you that you're not a used laptop.

>
Theres no hardware or software I could put on this one that would allow me to track it when the next person buys it is there?
Sure there is.
>>
How do I change the resolution on youtube videos viewed with a mobile browser? Using firefox on android at the moment.
>>
>>52028051

I'm sorry I meant to say buying.

If someone buys my laptop has the physical power of longevity of it not been compromised in any way?
>>
>>52028032
It means, that you can check the discharge cycle, if you want to know if the laptop you bought is really new.

If it is a new device, the discharge cycle should not be higher than 0 or 1(?)

If it is used, it is higher than that. For example the discharge cycle of my laptop is 310. By that number you can tell that my device has been used alot.
>>
File: hakurei_reimu_chibi.jpg (460 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
hakurei_reimu_chibi.jpg
460 KB, 800x800
>>52028038
It's purely a style thing.

K&R uses
int *pointer;

Because it models the way the pointer is eventually dereferenced, but that doesn't mean it's more correct than any other way.
>>
>>52028010
>>52028084

Thanks anon however the cycle count is just a -
>>
>>52028038
I prefer

int *pointer

simply because
int *pointer1, *pointer2, *pointer3
>>
How do I configure:
"Outbound TCP from random high ports to arbitrary remote TCP ports"

From https://geti2p.net/en/faq#ports

Random source ports from OUTPUT tcp connection? How do I even define this in iptables? Perhaps the range 9000-31000 + 8887?

Something like:
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport ARANGEOFPORTSPLUSONESOMEHOW -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

?
>>
>>52028147
If you're filtering oubound connections why do you even care about the source port?
>>
>>52028173
Am I not supposed to define outbound tcp FROM random high ports? Doesn't that mean --sport?
>>
>>52028173
>>52028197
Here's what I've defined so far:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport MYPORT -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport MYPORT -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --sport MYPORT -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 123 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
>>
>>52028038

int *pointer is preferred. Because the * bit is tied to the variable name. So, what >>52028141
said.

In C++, with references, the opposite is preferred. int& reference.
>>
>>52028147
"random high ports" probably refers to ephemeral ports, if that helps at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeral_port
>>
>>52028197
I guess you can, it's just a strange thing to want to do explicitly.
>>
File: I wish i was where i was.jpg (74 KB, 603x412) Image search: [Google]
I wish i was where i was.jpg
74 KB, 603x412
What is the best free duplicate picture finding program for windows 8.

I did a google search and everything is either old and out of date or just feels full of spyware and other shit.
>>
>>52028286
Maybe, maybe not. Does that mean:
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

?

>>52028292
If I'm being a retard, shout at me and explain why I'm retarded!
>>
>>52028038
With C, you must always use
int *pointer;

It's a fault with the design of the language, so it's easier to keep things straight this way.

In C:
int* p1, p2, p3

means p1 is a pointer, but p2 and p3 are regular ints.
In any sensible language:
int* p1, p2, p3

would mean all p1,p2, and p3 are pointers.
Just like in any sensible language:
int[] a1, a2, a3;

means all a1, a2, and a3 are arrays of ints.
>>
File: 4chanx.png (37 KB, 874x211) Image search: [Google]
4chanx.png
37 KB, 874x211
>>52025578
/g/ is 4chan X a botnet?
>>
>>52028444
Why haven't you read the source code?
>>
>>52028474
>Why haven't you read the source code?
I've looked at it. My tiny pleb brain is programming illiterate though.
>>
>>52028366
>If I'm being a retard, shout at me and explain why I'm retarded!
Because generally people will just allow any outbound traffic - they assume that because it's originating from their computer, that it's trusted.
>>
>>52028490
I did have the policy of OUTPUT and FORWARD set to ACCEPT before, but I decided to make things a little more difficult for me for fun (and security).
>>
noticed my captcha brotherhood account was wiped, haven't used the service in a while. Did this happen to everyone or what?

I didn't have that many points, only a few hundred, but freaks me out.
>>
File: 1309852087904.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1309852087904.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
Asus Nexus 7 2013 here.

When I watch Youtube videos using the official app sometimes the video freezes yet the sound keeps playing. Quality is 720p and when I change it the lower video works just fine. What gives? Cleaned cache and memory several times. Is it just bad app version or is it finally my loyal toilet tablet giving up.
>>
File: 1375568332077.jpg (87 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1375568332077.jpg
87 KB, 1024x768
why does my wired citizen printer answers ping while having a wrong default gateway?
>>
Having been in the nvidia camp for a long time, I'm very fmiliar with gauging the power of any nvidia card just by its name, GTX whatever.

But I think I should explore the Radeons now.

Anyone wants to give me a rundown of how their naming convention is like?

Like, are R9's a newer generation than R7, etc?
>>
File: what I want.png (8 KB, 193x289) Image search: [Google]
what I want.png
8 KB, 193x289
>>52028071
So basicly I want pic related in firefox on android. How do I get that?
>>
Are North Bridge and south bridge the same thing now, if yes how's it called?
>>
>>52026214
Lots of Alfa models do. Google that.
>>
>>52028746
You don't.
>>
>>52025578
Will a 350$ Pascal GPU be underpowered by a I5-3570 (non-k)?
>>
File: 1449872789665.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449872789665.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
Is there a performance gap between the Intel Core 2 Duo G3 and the Core i-series G1?

I am trying to decide whether a laptop with the latter one is worth a price increase varying between 50% and 100%.
>>
>>52028714
It's similar to Nvidia. First number marks the generation, second the relative performance. The X is the Radeon equivalent of the Ti
>>
>>52028871
Any way with another mobile browser?
>>
>>52027870
I used to work a big box retail PC store. I would reset all PCs while doing the return (to verify that the PC was actually functional and not just stripped of parts and to save time) and then sell the returns as open box. It was the company policy to do a factory reset EVERY returned PC. It was a relatively small store though so if my manager didn't do the reset, I would and since there were very few people authorized to do a return over $50 and even fewer who could return a laptop, chances were pretty good one of us got to it right away.

That wouldn't stop anyone from recovering deleted files though. We didn't have to do a "secure erase" (which I highly recommend if you had any personal data on it). I can pretty much guarantee that any PC tech will reset a returned computer because any non reset PC will walk right back into the store after the owner takes it home and realizes Anon's password is still on it. Dumb paranoia will kick in even in the off chance they actually do know how to reset it.

Also, a few things you can check on a new PC are the factory seal (on the box), the SMART data for the HDD/SSD (it should have very few, maybe only one or two, power cycles and power on hours), or the battery info (charge and discharge cycles are stored in the data chip in the battery).
>>
>>52028939
Use the mobile browser but with a desktop user agent?
>>
>>52028902
Considering they stole the Core2Duo technology, likely yes.
>>
>>52029038
If you mean switching to the desktop version of the site. That didn't work for me.
>>
I've just installed #!, but I have no wifi working, just ethernet.

How do I set up wifi (automatically like in ubuntu or windows)?
>>
>>52029105
get a better browser with full html5 support

And I mean swapping user agent, not just switching to desktop version.
>>
>>52025972
No
>>
>>52029096
I don't understand your reply.
>>
>>52029188
I don't understand my answer nor your reply.

Now what?
>>
File: ab.png (387 KB, 2273x1060) Image search: [Google]
ab.png
387 KB, 2273x1060
Got a "new" PC a few weeks ago. Specs:

CPU: i5 4460
GPU: Asus R9 280X DirectCU II TOP
RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB DDR3-1600 (8x1)
Mobo: ASUS H81-PLUS

Since I'm not too savvy on the subject I decided to test some games on it and use MSI Afterburner (pic related), so I'm just curious. Notice anything weird in here? If not, carry on. I'm just making sure if there's anything I have to change at all. I'm also using the XMP profile I can select. The game tested was Assassin's Creed Syndicate but I have similar results with other games like Fallout 4 and GTA V.
>>
thinking of getting a cat, how big of a cage do I need for it?
>>
>>52029322
First look at the size of the cat, then determine that from there. Make sure your cage supports it. Find one with frontal USB 3.0 ports too if possible
>>
>>52029322
at least 300 sqft with plenty of airflow
>>
>>52029322
For transport I assume ?
Just needs to be large enough for the cat to be able to move around a bit.
>>
Would an i3-6100 be a worthy upgrade from a Phenom II x4 965 at stock clocks?

Mainly interested in gaming (GTAV specifically) and x264/general encoding performance.
>>
>>52025789
set up a tekkit server then set off a million nukes to stress test it.
>>
>>52029116
>And I mean swapping user agent, not just switching to desktop version.
I dedn't realy know what that ment. Tried it and it seems to help thanks.
>>
File: 9da37-clip-8kb[1].png (8 KB, 510x145) Image search: [Google]
9da37-clip-8kb[1].png
8 KB, 510x145
I'm making a GUI for a little program I've done in Python, and I was stupid enough to do it without using OOP.

Keeping that in mind, how do I pass an entry value from a pop-up window?
Newfileentry.get() is what I'm looking for, but it comes up empty.

Is there any way to get the value without resorting to classes?
>>
Hey lads, recently bought a T420 off eBay and downloaded a cracked version of Windows 7 onto it.
Problem is I can't connect to the internet. I network connections and device manager finds no trace of a wireless card and ethernet connection doesn't work.
I haven't been able to open it up yet and physically look due to an embarrassing screwdriver shortage.

Surely though, even if the wireless card is missing an ethernet cable would do the trick?
>>
raspberry pi:

can u install windows on it? what is the best version for video games like battlefront?
>>
>>52029685
you can install a special version on it, but it's not going to run any games.

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/iot
>>
>>52029695
looks interesting, thank you!
>>
>>52029685
>can u install windows on it?
yea, but not what you're thinking, it's supported by arm versions of iot versions of windows 10
they are not regular "x86"/"x64" windows, and won't run programs for those versions of windows, including battlefront (that includes the first two as well as the new one)
>>
If an nvidia driver supports the gt 330 does it also support the mobile version (gt 330m)
>>
I have an odd problem with an iMac. It's late 2009 27" model, but it has a screen problem.

When I start it up, sometimes the screen pops up, other times it does not. If I reset the NVRAM, it always pops up for a while, and then it goes black again. This can happen in either 3 minutes or 3 hours.
The Mac itself keeps working, it's just the screen that disappears.

I tried formatting it and while I thought that permanently fixed the problem after keeping it running for 12 hours, restarted multiple times, it suddenly happened again.

I can't seem to figure out what the problem may be. I thought of the backlight, but wouldn't it stop working at all then?
>>
>>52029669
make sure network interfaces are enabled in the bios and, if the pc has one, make sure the wireless switch is set to on.
>>
Where do proxies come from? How do some websites get thousands of them everyday?
>>
I want to use an icon in my project that is under creative commons and free of use. However, it has this attribute attached to it:

>share alike – If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

Now. Does this mean my whole project has to go under that license. Or just the actual icon?
>>
What's the difference between a DNS and SmartDNS?
>>
>>52029823
Phone is shit and won't let me upload pics, but basically in [BIOS > config > network] the only options I have are 'wake on LAN' and 'ethernet LAN option ROM.'
Am I even looking in the right area?
>>
>>52025578
Where can I find Extreme networks EXOS 11.5 image so I can restore my switch from pmon panic caused by corrupted OS image? Please I am desperate.
>>
File: 1422392394898.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1422392394898.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>52029861
they're a secret government project, anon

>>52029939
your ethernet could just physically not work. Or you don't have the right drivers. Or you have a bad cable. Go through every option though because sometimes things are in retarded places, like it could be a security setting or power setting.
>>
>>52029892
only the icon

just means if you took their icon and say, changed the color or altered some text in it or something, you need to also release your 'new' version (of the icon) under the same license
>>
>>52029969
Oh boy, this will be fun. I unfortunately have very little experience playing in BIOS or downloading drivers.
>>
Is there a good reasonably priced laptop for vidya?

And before you go LEL GAYMAN IS FOR DESKTAP.

I understand.

I want something that would let me play most of the games with decent framerate at lowest settings. I'm not looking for highest fidelity.

Anything with HD530 I guess would do?
>>
>>52030008
Alright. Thanks.

So, do I have to get a github and just for that altered icon and upload it? Or does it just mean people are free to "printscreen" and use it so to speak.
>>
>>52030013
I guess now is a good time to learn, anon.

I'll help with drivers if you post a device manager screenshot.
>>
>>52030028
what is your budget
>>
>>52030085
$900?
>>
File: driver stuff.jpg (82 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
driver stuff.jpg
82 KB, 540x960
>>52030045
It's a bit tricky getting pics from my phone because it's so shit, but I only just noticed these devices here.
Apparently they lack drivers. How would I get them without internet access to that computer?
>>
>>52030042
not really sure, i'd just put the source of the icon somewhere accessible (the .psd/.svg/.xcf/etc, not the jpg/png/gif, unless the original was one of those, or your edit was from one of those)
>>
File: mercury.jpg (357 KB, 900x708) Image search: [Google]
mercury.jpg
357 KB, 900x708
I'm on Windows 7 and I have a lot of files I'd like to cache the thumbnails for, but not a lot of space on my boot drive.
Is it possible to move the storage of the Windows Explorer thumb.db files to another hard drive?
>>
>>52030116
Okay. Thanks for all the help anon.
>>
>>52030134
thumbs.db is always in the same directory as the images are.

you could try to make a symlink onto another disk.
>>
Hey /g/, first time posting. for christmas my dad bought me a HA400 microamp, I've been running my my AKG mkii's through them and for some reason at max volume they sound (from what i cna describe) as really 'dirty', like a lot of static etc. is there any particular reason for this or areis my headphones/amp just shit? Sorry for being a sound rookie, thanks in advance /g/.
>>
>>52030099
http://www.amazon.com/GL551JW-AH71-WX-15-Inch-Discrete-GeForce/dp/B017NGH4DY/

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-VN7-792G-79LX-17-3-inch-Notebook-Windows/dp/B015XBKYB0/

http://www.amazon.com/K501UX-15-inch-Gaming-Processor-Windows/dp/B0146DD02G/

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE62-APACHE-276-9S7-16J212-276-15-6-Inch/dp/B012AQH9AU/

here are the best deals i could find on amazon. if you don't do video editing and just want to play games, go with a laptop that has an i5 processor, otherwise get the one with the i7.

you can also check out this guide, it's /g/ approved

http://www.logicalincrements.com/#!/laptop
>>
File: Untitled.png (10 KB, 572x53) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10 KB, 572x53
trying to get an app running on an emulated android device (both Bluestacks and Andy) always gives me the error in this photo. The TOS state that using an emulator is forbidden, but I don't care and I would like to know if there's a workaround. I mean, I'm running a virtual machine, there must be a way to make the app think it's being used on a real phone...
>>
File: Untitled.png (24 KB, 594x290) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
24 KB, 594x290
>>52030176
Then what are these files?
Everytime new thumbnails are cached, they seem to be saved here.
>>
>>52030280
oh, they are centralized now, I didn't know.

well you could symlink the entire directory then.
>>
Is there a way, or program to let know what file(s) are taking up the most space?
I'm aware of the "size: gigantic" function and I managed to delete off 20 GB thanks to that, but I still have no idea what takes the other 200 GB space.
>>
>>52030326
windirstat
>>
>>52030340
Thanks. The folder config.msi takes up a fuckton of space, what the fuck is that?
>>
>>52030377
if it's C:\config.msi then you can delete it.
Some installer screwed up and didn't clean up after itself.
>>
>>52030392
Yes it is. Thanks m8
>>
>>52028706
You don't need a correct default gateway to return a ping - you can just send it back on the same interface it came in on, and hope the machine on the other end knows how to route it.
>>
>>52030305
Would that be a hard link or a soft link?
>>
>>52029316
Anyone?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-24-20-12-23.png (215 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-24-20-12-23.png
215 KB, 720x1280
My drive is failing and I need replacement. What budget internal HDD 2.5 you guys recommend? What brand does /g/ trust in this stuff? Oh, and between these list, which one's the best? Please ignore the ones that not in stock.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-24-20-12-42.png (179 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-24-20-12-42.png
179 KB, 720x1280
>>52030565
Part 2
>>
>>52030560
>Notice anything weird in here?
Yeah, I found a theme that looks like shit with a button smaller than the rest of the bar.
>>
>>52030620
My faggot friend, that's the default windows 10 theme. For some reason the detached hardware monitor window looks like that.
>>
>>52030183
Cheerio.
>>
Help /g/, I'm an idiot
>half awake (this is an important part of the story)
>thought about cleaning contacts on my phone
>see lots of duplicates
>get tired of deleting one by one
>see "Delete duplicate contacts", delete all
>all contacts deleted
>blame phone, check out contacts again
>it was "Delete multiple contacts", not duplicate
So how do I recover them? Is it just as easy as running recuva?
Zenfone2, 5.0, stock rom.
>>
Where the fuck can I get crestron software if I'm not a crestron dick sucker?
>>
>>52030706
Also I don't have any google account synced with my phone so that is not an option.
>>
Due to my own stupidity my system is stuck stuck on nvidia drivers 335. Am i missing out on a lot performance wise?
I7 720
750ti
>>
>>52030792
>Due to my own stupidity my system is stuck stuck on nvidia drivers 335.
wat
>Am i missing out on a lot performance wise?
Nope.
>>
File: 03.png (36 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
03.png
36 KB, 1024x512
God fucking dammit this is taking so long.
If "checking for updates" isn't going anywhere what can I do to fix it?
>>
File: Fit Beauty.jpg (164 KB, 1125x1038) Image search: [Google]
Fit Beauty.jpg
164 KB, 1125x1038
Budget L1150 atx motherboard?

Don't need sli, overclock, etc. Only req is internal USB 3 headers.
>>
How best to backup/restore a KVM guest? The guest's made on a qcow2 image.
>>
>>52030753
They're probably gone. Contacts aren't saved like individual files, it's probably an entry in a database. Next to impossible to recover.
>>
I currently use a 16-port switch with only 3/4 devices, What could I replace it with?
>A smaller switch
>A PC
>A router configured as a switch/wifi repeater ans usable as back-up
>>
>>52030879
And then I realized barely anyone contacts me, and the important ones from work are all on Whatsapp.
I guess I'll consider this a step forward from leaving all the bullshit behind.
>>
>>52030494
A soft link.

A hard link can't go to a different hard drive/partition.
>>
Is there ANY download manager for Android that would simply prompt me whether to save the download or not? I don't want embedded browsers, I don't want download accelerators, I don't want any fucking bloat - I just want a single prompt dialog that will work with Naked browser.
>>
>>52031279
>dangly coconut-massacre
>>
Why cant I watch hitbox videos in fullscreen?
Whenever I go fullscreen, the video drops to like 1/2 a fps and firefox lags like shit.
>>
File: 1449518683909.jpg (33 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1449518683909.jpg
33 KB, 292x257
>>52031279
>Top cock deliverer
>>
File: devmgmt.png (51 KB, 781x573) Image search: [Google]
devmgmt.png
51 KB, 781x573
>>52030115
You're going to need a flash drive at the very minimum (or anyway to transfer a small amount of data to the laptop from another computer).

Go to lenovo's support website and type in t420 and pull up the drivers section. Download at least the ethernet driver (if you're unsure, download anything that says gigabit). and copy it to the flash drive.

Another option is to click on your network controller and navigate to pic related. Copy and paste that shit into google and usually the first result will tell you exactly what hardware you need. Most laptops use generic hardware so you can use Dell drivers on an HP or OEM (Intel, Realtek) drivers on a ASUS, etc.

And a third option (my preferred) is to just plug in a usb network controller. I have both a usb wireless card and a usb ethernet adapter and I keep drivers for both on my flash drive. Plug either in and hook it up to the network and then let windows update download all of the drivers. I like this method because it is the exact same for every computer and requires almost no input.

Also, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I was remoted into my PC at home while I was at work and had actual work to do so I minimized and forgot.
>>
>>52030589
>>52030565
Sorry m8, but for 2.5" my go to drives are all SSDs.

If your only choices are what's in the pic, then I'd probably go with the 1tb blue wd.
>>
>>52031279
Don't understand what you're asking. You want to click a link and have it download? Naked does that, as does the built in download manager in Android.
>>
>>52031413
No, I want it to ask me "do you want to download this file? Y/N" instead of instantly saving it without asking. Bonus points if it can choose destination folder. Loaderdroid does this, but is way too bloaty.
>>
>>52031443
Why would you click the link if you didn't want it saved? Lightning browser prompts for it by default so I haven't had that issue.
>>
File: 11-108-428-Z01.jpg (15 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
11-108-428-Z01.jpg
15 KB, 640x480
Anyone have any thoughts on this build? I already have the memory and the drives.

CPU
AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor
$45.99 $45.99
Motherboard
ASRock AM1H-ITX Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard
$44.99 $44.99
Case (pic related)
Inwin BP655.FH300TB3 Mini ITX Tower Case w/200W Power Supply
$57.99 $57.99

I already have 2x4 GB PC3-1333 sticks of ram and 2x3 TB HDDs and a SSD to throw in.

I'm going to use it as a HTPC / stream box / nas

Oh and it should work out to about $150 usd.

I was thinking of building a off of a skylake board to make it a bit more future proof but that would double the cost, especially since I'd have to buy new ram. I may have to anyway though since the ram I have is pretty slow. I want something for x265 but no reasonable x86 hardware solutions exist yet (other than shoving a gtx 960 in which will double the size, power consumption, and cost) and I don't want to wait too much longer
>>
>>52031478
I don't necessarily want it for links I click, but to prevent bullshit "drive-by" type downloads that trigger on certain sites without clicking anything. This way I'd at least get a prompt so I can fuck it off away asap.

Will look into Lightning, didn't know it has this feature.
>>
>>52031478
>>52031516
>Lightning browser
Dear fucking GOD who designed this UI?
>>
Which screwdriver bit do i need if i want to install the mainboard standoffs?
>>
>>52031721
Video related:

https://youtu.be/_VJifKTtHME?t=3118

51:58
>>
>>52031721
finger tight is acceptable for 99% of the time. They are just to secure your mobo in a stationary case, not to secure your mobo in your 4x4.
>>
>>52031754
Im just ocd about that
>>
is 750ti a good card to play latest AAA games at mid-high settings 720p?
>>
>>52031884
Should be fine if a 670 can run the latest games at high 1080p
>>
>>52030232
anyone?
>>
What's the preferred network/bandwidth tracking monitor? I haven't even torrented anything this month and Jewcast is already saying I used up my 300gb for the calendar month this morning. I'd like to prepare myself for next month and see just how much im doing.
>>
File: is-that-so.jpg (28 KB, 287x266) Image search: [Google]
is-that-so.jpg
28 KB, 287x266
I'm a Chromefag and a lot of people told me there were better options available without bothering to name some. Should I just start using firefox instead, or is there anything better? I had a quick look at chromium which I think would fit me best, but I don't know, just post your favorite browsers?
>>
File: Untitled.png (20 KB, 767x506) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
20 KB, 767x506
>>52032031
Your router would be a good place to start. Also, if you have windows or android on all of your devices (maybe apple too but I'm not sure), pic related is a thing.
>>
>>52032044
Personally, I like any of the firefox forks like palemoon. I've heard good things about waterfox too but idk. Firefox used to be the best but in the last couple years they've made a lot of changes to the software that I don't agree with. The built in ads on the new tab page was the last straw for me.
>>
File: 1424879867436.gif (375 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1424879867436.gif
375 KB, 256x256
In diskpart this computer has C - os, D - esp, and then a bunch of other shit like winretools and what not. If I want to do a boot sfc /scannow, does the offwindir need to be that esp partition (D) or the same as the os partition (C)?
>>
If I actually turn my computer off every night, and my cooler keeps it around 80 degrees in stress tests, is 1.45Vcore still too high for a Haswell-E CPU OC?
>>
Is treble more important than bass for in ear headphones?
>>
OK, this is a little bit of a strange occurrence me and my friend found on his computer. He uses the UltraSurf proxy server, however, if I try to use 4chan on google chrome with the proxy (the proxy set up fine for Chrome) it'll come up as my friend's IP. However, if I try to go on 4chan via Internet Explorer with the proxy, 4chan works fine.

I find this strange because when I was younger I used to go on 4chan with Chrome and UltraSurf all the time. Any suggestions?
>>
>>52032066
Thanks friend. I don't use my other devices that much so im quite sure the usage of those is pretty minimal, its mainly a laptop I use for streaming to the TV and then my desktop. Will check everything out in the router though, thanks!
>>
>>52032185
Depends on what you mean by important. Louder, not so much. More accurate, you'll appreciate it.
Also personal tastes bla bla bla...
>>
>>52031513
I'd go G3258 or A8-7600. The 5350 is so low performance it's already obsolete. A G3258 could be repurposed into a budget gaming rig with the addition of a card and some overclocking, and the A8-7600 is a budget gaming rig on its own.
>>
>>52031884
Yes, but a 270 is faster and cheaper. If you don't need the lower power requirements of a 750Ti to make it work on an OEM PSU, I'd go with that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131545&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1080?vs=1130
>>
>>52032213
Is treble better for listening to words and taking?
>>
>>52032381
No, talking and singing are considered mids.
>>
File: 1446014888623.webm (2 MB, 864x486) Image search: [Google]
1446014888623.webm
2 MB, 864x486
Is there a program that let's you know what's on a deleted HDD?
Like photorec but just let's you see what's there instead of recovering all at once.
>>
File: 1448101919842.png (129 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
1448101919842.png
129 KB, 480x800
What the fuck is this shit. AdAway ain't working. How do I escape the Google botnet?
>>
What is by far the best network calculator tool
>>
Windows 7 or 10?
10 is easier to obtain due to direct downloads from MS...

>Intel Xeon L5639
>24GB RAM
>GTX 970
>120GB SSD / 2.5TB HDD
>>
>>52031329
use livestreamer
>>
>>52032460
>that smile
>those teeth

absolutely disgusting
>>
What is a good and safe online cloud where me and my girlfriend could upload all the photos we take?
>>
>>52032646
7, 8.0 or 8.1. 8.0 is the best of the bunch, since it has no gwx.exe bullshit or telemtry.
>>
>>52032646
Windows 8.1 to be quite hones with you family
>>
what is the easiest way to get Aero transparency back in Windows 10? all the programs I find for it are russian botnet shit or want money from me to remove watermarks.

No memes please, I debotneted my Win 10 installation thoroughly and I dont want to install Gentoo on this PC.
>>
How should i begin dual booting Mint with a RAID0? (on winfag atm)
>>
I have a dualscreen. When i play civ v on the main screen how do i make game window not go down when i click something on the secondary screen?
>>
>>52032757
>I debotneted my Win 10
Sounds like you're the one memeing hard here, broseph. How'd you accomplish this?
>>
>>52032788
Start by instaling it. Just like Windows, Mint is going to see your RAID0 as just another drive.
>>
>>52031986
shameless rebump, or should I make a new thread?
>>
>>52032850
read the op. then read the sticky.
>>
A folder disappeared from My Documents and all that's left is a shortcut in Recent Locations that points nowhere.

I didn't delete or move the folder. I used Recuva and non of the files in the folder were found. What do?

I suspect this is happening because someone turned off my computer by pulling the plug, but so far that folder is the only one of two things missing.
>>
>>52032844
disabled everything with scripts like http://pastebin.com/K8Ww4j8z and added just about every Microsoft URL known to man to my hosts file, also im so autistic I went and monitored network activity to see if Windows ever calls home. it never did. Im not a pedophile or an ISIS member, so that works for me.
>>
>>52032884
It's hidden.
You've been infected with a malware.
>>
>>52032889
>added just about every Microsoft URL known to man to my hosts file
Breaking news: None of the botnet features in Windows 10 give a fuck about your hosts file, they all happily bypass it.
If you want to block that shit, you need to go through your router.
>>
>>52032884
I'd say you're a part of a secret government botnet.

Install Gentoo then delete your computer.
>>
>>52032889
In light of >>52032919, how'd you monitor your network activity?
>>
>>52032906
I index hidden files and folders. There are no suspicious start up entries in my registry or in msconfig. If the folder was maliciously removed the person responsible would've deleted other files that I had yet to move over to it. No one other than my parents have been around my computer. They just unplugged it while I was away.
>>
File: Schermopname (163).png (54 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Schermopname (163).png
54 KB, 1440x900
As you can see on the pic the font changed, how do I revert this? This is the same on Tumblr and other websites except for 4chan, youtube etc. I tried every browser, but it's all the same. I tried changing the font on Firefox but nothing werks.
>>
File: slide4.png (56 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
slide4.png
56 KB, 300x300
I'm formatting c code in html5 using a
<pre?>
followed by a
<code>
. This introduces all kinds of styling problems that the simple removal of the code tag will fix.

My question is, how important are the semantics of a webpage compared to its functionality and/or aesthetics? Should I keep the code tags?
>>
>>52032889
Honestly I don't trust a closed-source OS to ever be debotnetted. You never know what it's doing under the hood.

There's no excuse for PC enthusiasts not to confine proprietary shit to a VM now that KVM VGA passthrough performance is so good.
>>
Should I turn off pagefile.sys now that I am using an SSD?
>>
>>52033029
The excuse would be money and poor choices.

If you have like me a processor capable of it, but a motherboard that only has a vga port and one PCI-E x16 port you're pretty much fucked anyways.
>>
>>52031651
What's wrong with it? It just werks.
>>
>>52032692
Dropbox works for us. Google photos is easier for organization.
>>
>>52033069
yes.
>>
File: mignon-hitman.png (1 MB, 1320x1500) Image search: [Google]
mignon-hitman.png
1 MB, 1320x1500
You guys think there's any reason to keep ChromeOS on my chromebook if I only use it as a browser (and do everything else in Linux via crouton), and only because it's already there draining resources anyway?

Mainly I'm getting at is stuff like ChromeOS being more efficient with the hardware, and if I switched to just Linux as the host OS things'll begin to fall apart. Like, my 8 hour battery will become 2 hours or something
>>
>>52033069
no
>>
>>52032696
2 questions

1. If we take out the telemetry aspect and all the botnettery, pretty much whatever crap w10 has that an outdated 8.1 hasn't, what makes 8.1 better?

2. Given the fact that to avoid such things you would need to keep 8.1 from updating, isn't it way less secure?

I have a new PC that works pretty cool with 10 for which I don't have to use any activation methods, but I haven't tried it with 8.1 yet, and that one needs that MS toolkit thing.
>>
Why my Samsung S4 can connect to WiFi while my PC keeps saying Unidentified Network and refusing to connect?
>>
Server:
-Power is on
-Connection refused over ssh
-Doesn't show any life when connected to keyboard and screen
-Fan goes steadily
-Happens every now and then (sometimes it shuts down after a while unless the power is unplugged and plugged back in)
-Persistent over newly installed OS
-Hardware watchdog never kicks in

Power supply issue? Or motherboard?
>>
Oh, and the logs are empty when it boots back up again, showing a clear time-gap. >>52033245
>>
File: Cattura.png (17 KB, 486x211) Image search: [Google]
Cattura.png
17 KB, 486x211
Sup /g/, europoor here. Could you rate the build i made for a micro ATX home/gaming pc? Suggestions are very welcome. My budget is limited to 900€.
>>
>>52033318
>>
>>52033318
>30 euros for a dvd drive

holy shit what.
>>
>>52033318
>>52033364
>even buying a dvd drive
>>
File: browser.png (850 KB, 1034x830) Image search: [Google]
browser.png
850 KB, 1034x830
A start to finish on how to get w3m on Windows 8 pc. Bonus points on adding coop retro term to that
>>
>>52033350
>not making their own name better than a sister company
>>
>>52027273
AZ screen recorder
>>
>>52033394
what browser
>>
>>52033318
Do not change the HDD. Not everybody on /g/ is a faggot
>>
>>52031279
>>Long Bananablaster

I ain't even mad.
>>
>>52033364
>>52033377
Yeah, i'm wondering if it's worth buying one at all. I guess i will use my old one and not buy a new one.
>>52033350
Well, shit.
>>
>>52033394
Holy hell, why is that so cozy looking
>>
>>52033426
Adding to the stupidity- Didnt know that it was an ad on to another browser, which just means I need help figuring how tf to do that. I have Chrome and IE but I think Id rather Chrome
>>
>>52033497
Thats why I want it so much. Im a newfag to PC in general and I just want to use this shit
>>
Guys please help, how do I differentiate between dead processor or dead mobo?

Comp powers on, fans spin, pawer button works, no post or video display.
>>
>>52033562
more likely a vidya card issue, have you tested all that out yet? Do you have an igpu you could try plugging your monitor in to?
>>
>>52033562
You try with basic parts only. Remove everything except for your mobo, CPU (cooler too), PSU, and RAM. Test for results
>>
>>52033562
>Comp powers on, fans spin, pawer button works, no post or video display.
Sounds like a CPU problem, but at the same time it's hard to tell if it's a faulty motherboard. Unless you've got some way of booting into a troubleshooting environment (look into UltraX), I'd just complain about it to the place you got it from.

>>52033605
Make sure it's not your GPU, try onboard video.
>>
>>52033612
yeah, if his/her GPU is just straight dead he wont get a display at all, best to check out that before testing mobo/cpu stuff imo.

>>52033562
What do you see on the monitor when you turn the pc on, a "vga/hdmi/DVI not connected" message or literally nothing at all?
>>
What's the cheapest HDD enclosure I can get for 1505 and 6000 HDDs?

Can I just use any SATA enclosure for these? Help I'm retarded.
>>
File: 1358383886864.jpg (17 KB, 405x289) Image search: [Google]
1358383886864.jpg
17 KB, 405x289
>>52033940
If I can even remotely decipher what the fuck you just said, you listed two different Dell desktops. 1505 and 6000 series. I don't have the slightest clue what HDD models they use but they're both 3.5". The 1505 series uses IDE while the newer 6000 series uses SATA.

As for an HDD enclosure, I don't follow what you want. Any SATA HDD will work with any SATA enclosure. I don't know what HDD you have. 1505 and 6000 are not brand names or models.
>>
>>52033181
>1. If we take out the telemetry aspect and all the botnettery, pretty much whatever crap w10 has that an outdated 8.1 hasn't, what makes 8.1 better?
8.1 is more mature. Less bugs, more stability, and most importantly, an update system that isn't fucking retarded. 8.1 won't fuck all your settings back to default and uninstall random shit because it's "incompatible" with a new update.
Windows 10 will do this.
Windows 10 will also perform a full upgrade of the system with each threshold/service pack, which takes as long as a new install.

>2. Given the fact that to avoid such things you would need to keep 8.1 from updating, isn't it way less secure?
I don't personally care about the telemetry aspect and botnettery, and if you're even considering Windows 10 neither do you. I have disabled automatic updates on my 8.1 install though, but only really to get rid of GWX since Windows 10 is a buggy piece of shit on my machine and MS doesn't take no for an answer.
If you do care about the botnet telemetry meme, 8.1 allows you to check out what each update does, as well as manually select updates you want to install and hide the ones you don't.

8.1 is by no means an outdated OS for as long as it is supported, and disabling automatic updates doesn't mean you have to block all updates. You can install security updates while ignoring the rest if you so desire.

Basically, with 8.1 you get the performance of Windows 10 along with all the anti-botnet memes people would tell you to install Windows 7 for.

>inb4 muh start screen
Install Classic Shell.
>>
>>52033318

>skymeme
>ddr3
>optical drive

Epine builde ragazzi!! Una testa di cazzo!!!
>>
File: w3mcrt.png (731 KB, 1023x743) Image search: [Google]
w3mcrt.png
731 KB, 1023x743
>>52033394
>on Windows 8
Good luck. You better get on learning how to program, because w3m and cool retro term don't exist for Windows.

install gentoo
>>
File: mario.jpg (53 KB, 600x423) Image search: [Google]
mario.jpg
53 KB, 600x423
What will happen if I add google to my hosts file (pointing to localhost)?
>>
My mom's TV doesn't support x265 codec when I try to read movies with it.
Is there a way to fix it?
>>
>>52033505
>Adding to the stupidity- Didnt know that it was an ad on to another browser
It isn't.
w3m is a CLI-based browser, cool-retro-term is a terminal emulator. No add-ons there, senpai.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.