[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I upgrade my 660 to a 970 for 350 dollaroos? My CPU is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1373156860285.jpg (25 KB, 397x312) Image search: [Google]
1373156860285.jpg
25 KB, 397x312
Should I upgrade my 660 to a 970 for 350 dollaroos?

My CPU is an i5 2500k and I have 8gb RAM, but I don't have the money to upgrade any of those.
>>
>>51979876
Why? Negligible increase in performance for the money?

Would the CPU bottleneck it?
>>
>>51979726
Why? What hot new games are you looking to play that don't run on your 660?
>>
>>51979945
I live in the third world and I'm traveling to the USA in 2 weeks, so I thought this might be a chance to upgrade for less money than I would in my home country
>>
>>51979726
Are you playing top vidya? If yes then yes, you should.
If all you play is dota2 and some enulators then no, save your money for now.
Also, overclock the shit out of your CPU, it's 2500k we talking about.
>>
>>51979967
I see no reason to OC when the CPU is performing perfectly
>>
>>51979955
If this is your one chance to buy a future-proof card to last you for another few years, the 970 is a terrible choice due to its gimped VRAM and Nvidia's policy of completely ditching performance optimisations for their previous cards when new ones come out (given Pascal will be out in under six months).

Either get a 390 or nothing. Not like there's much worth playing anyway.
>>
>>51979993
I recommend you to overclock your CPU if you'll buy 970. It'll bottleneck a bit.
>>
>>51979993
Because a stock 2500K is only equivalent to a new i3. It's still a great CPU, but only if you overclock it past 4GHz (most can do 4.7-4.8 without breaking a sweat).
>>
>>51980003
This man speaks the truth.
>>
>>51979726
Wait until Pascal.
>>
>>51980003
AMD shills at it again

If you want your precious car to literally melt due to shitty drivers, or just want shitty drivers in general go for AMD.

BUT 970 Vram is bad. Honestly everyone makes a fuss about it, but for the most part it shouldn't be an issue. People don't realize even if the heater they put in their rig has 8 gb vram it still doest have enough juice to process it anyways.

I'd say save a bit more and get a 980.

If you can't, get 970

If you can't then a 390
>>
>>51980118
Thank you for your post Sanjeet, 20 Rupees have been deposited to your GeForce Customer Experience account.
>>
>>51980034
fallout 4 uses the same engine as morrowind
(albeit slightly updated) and uses the cpu to calculate shadows. not the best example
>>
is there a card better than the 750ti that costs the same?
>>
>>51979726
ITZ DER APLEN!!!!
>>
Thanks for the help bros.

I decided to stick with what I have and buy a whole new PC when the time is right.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.