[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /g/ deal with planned obsolescence?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: planned-obsolescence.png (162 KB, 1900x934) Image search: [Google]
planned-obsolescence.png
162 KB, 1900x934
How does /g/ deal with planned obsolescence?
>>
File: nokia-n9-homescreen-apps.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
nokia-n9-homescreen-apps.jpg
130 KB, 1024x768
>>51946740
Sold my lagxus 5 and I bought an N9 instead of another disposable consumer lagdroid/ayyFone, never had to upgrade again
>>
>>51946740
By not joining consumerism and actively fighting it daily.
>>
>>51946784
Hipster faggot
>>
>>51946740
I only ever buy the things I really need and use my money wisely to get long-term utility out of each purchase. Most importantly I don't use credit cards and buy things with debt. If I can't afford something either I save my salary or I don't buy it and move along.

Saving money to spend on healthcare and things that give you wonderful experiences like vacations is more worthwhile than buying retarded iPhones.
>>
>>51946805
Capitalist slave faggot
>>
>>51946886
>I refuse to use smartphones and use linux because I'll get to be a special snowflake
>>
>buy original nexus 7 i don't know when, whenever it released.
>only buy it to read pirated ebooks which would otherwise cost thousands
>pretty happy with the device, works perfectly smooth. can't do demanding games, but everything else is fine.

>some time later, new android version arrives
>"neat, this'll probably make my device even better, improve battery life and user interface, and thanks to it being a nexus i get the update before everyone else, awesome!"
>device is now practically unusable for anything even slightly demanding
>starting the google play store app takes over a minute

T...thanks, Google.
>>
>>51946886
>posted with a capitalist device on a capitalist website :^)
>>
>>51946896
it has more to do with expressing disdain and retaliating against mindless zombie culture. People are easily tricked by marketing particularly with Apple products.

It empowers people to break away from that mindset and create a unique identity for themselves, hence the true spirit of individualism and western values. If you chastise someone for being different, you belong in the 3rd world collectivist shitholes.
>>
>>51946845
Only acceptable answer.
>>
>>51946763
>full lunix on a phone
This is what I was waiting for.
>>
File: 1386787295909.jpg (65 KB, 643x482) Image search: [Google]
1386787295909.jpg
65 KB, 643x482
>>51946925
Maximum Autism
>>
>>51946763
How is it for general use?
>>
>>51946740
OP here. I came back to the thread just to let you know how interesting and actual is the essay i posted, after i've read it. It's impressive to read my exact ideas on the subject in a 1932 dated composition. I strongly recommend this short reading.
>>
>>51946740
dont but laptops or smartphones from big brand consumer companies
>>
>>51947065
>implying it isn't true
It's true, god doesn't exist.
>>
>>51947140
atheism = autism
>>
>lose phone
>dont feel a need to buy a new one
>go a whole year without one
>sometimes some people mention whatsapp to connect with me
>sometimes I require a map with gps
>sometimes at some times I wonder random things like "can you kill EVERYONE in fallout" and have no phone to look it up with since I will forget about it once I get home
>pretty much NEVER require a camera

And that is when I realized that a cheap, nearly secondhand phone on ebay for about a 100 bucks is going to more than enough for me.

What do the new phones even have that justifies those expensive price tags?
>>
with laptops in particular planned obsolescence bothers me a lot.
buying something like x220 means sacrificing things like fhd screen etc. But at least you get your moneys worth
>>
>>51947140
>can't prove god exists
>he isn't real
>can't prove god doesn't exist
>?
>>
>>51947167
>nearly secondhand
What does that even mean? Either it is, or it isn't.
>>
>>51947167
>What do the new phones even have that justifies those expensive price tags?

Well the reason I bought a high-end instead of low-end phone was the 1440p screen for VR.
>>
>>51947196
There are some dumbasses always on ebay that buy a phone, dont know why they bought it and then sell it away secondhand without actually using it much, or at all.

Phones that come with warranty still. Easily trimms of 30% of the price.

Saw many phones that cost 120 euro's, being sold for 70, with warranty. Since I have no real respect for consumer gadgets, il just get one like this.

But yea, is there even a reason to get an expensive, top of the line phone? I had some phones in the past and I found 5 inches even to be too big. 4.5 seems ideal for your pocket.
>>
File: 1450527605244.png (29 KB, 397x265) Image search: [Google]
1450527605244.png
29 KB, 397x265
>>51947163
Agreed, atheists are fags. Even gods chosen programmer agrees with that.
>>
>>51947255
Why not just wait for the oculus rift consumer release, or the valve htc thing? Both of these things are going to be miles better than this device that is a "jack of all trades"
>>
>>51946845
This so much!

Tech is so cheap, if you have at least a clue about what the fuck you are buying.

PO is almost everywhere in modern tech, cant avoid it, but you can minimize it's effects. Buying a cheap smarthphone that is easy to service. A computer can be assembled with used parts, super cheap and will last you a long time.
>>
>>51947281
Apples and oranges. I already have an oculus rift DK2, but the point of mobile VR is precisely that it is mobile.
>>
>>51947341
well then, I guess you perhaps may have a reason to buy that. But its a fringe interest. I am sure that there are also other fringe interest buyers of expensive phones that need the new phone because of 4g, good camera or something else.

But I am not a fringe user. I have no reason to buy an expensive phone as far as I can see. For the reasons that I have mentioned, it seems like the cheapest of the cheap phones will be good enough for me.

again, since you are illiterate: why would an average consumer need a top of the line phone?
>>
File: IMG_20150822_013511.jpg (49 KB, 523x476) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150822_013511.jpg
49 KB, 523x476
>>51947066
It's perfect, no phone today matches how simple, perfect and intuitive the UX is, so much that I've bought 4
>>
>>51947370
>again, since you are illiterate: why would an average consumer need a top of the line phone?

Wow, what a dick you are.

There is no such thing as an average customer. Everyone is different and have their own needs that may or may not justify an expensive phone. I named an example. Yes, VR may be niche (for now), but there are a lot of other niches that people have. Some might use the phone as a portable computer, hooking it up to a dock, needing a lot of processing power. Some might like to watch movies on their phone. Some may spend a lot of time reading websites or articles in chinese and need a very high pixel density to read those intricate symbols, etc. Some might think just the status and/or feeling of having the newest and greatest is more than enough justification in itself.
If you by average customer means someone who has no particular niche interests that affects their choice of phone, then the average customer is a small minority indeed.
>>
>>51946784
By being poor
>>
>>51947472
>the average consumer is going to use the phone as a portable computer
>the average consumer is going to read small chinese letters

>not realizing that the average consumer uses it as a facebook machine to browse through likes and/or twitter/sms

Dude, you have autism. Dont reply to me, just go unload a shotgun in your head or something you dumbass.
>>
Capitalism: The quest for draining the earths natural resources and driving the human race into extinction.
>>
>>51947525
And you call me illiterate... Read my post again until you understand it.
>>
>>51947558
jesus how stupid can you be as a person, do you literally have only 10 brain cells or something? Jesus fuck stop posting already and kill yourself.
>>
File: 1399989490649.gif (285 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1399989490649.gif
285 KB, 150x150
>>51947593
>>
>>51947444
Uhhh
>>
>>51946845
>Saving money to spend on healthcare

It's free, you idiot. I broke my hand yesterday. did not cost me anything, need to operate on it on tuesday, do not expect to pay anything for that either. which is good, because i am a student.
The only thing I have to suffer is a mellow morphine buzz from these strong pain relieving pills they gave me. What are you paying so much tax for if you dont get free services like that? you are wasting your money by only spending it on war instead of something useful.
>>
>>51947255
>VR
Wow, let me laugh even harder. So you bought a phone that is "future proof" for a gimmick?
There is basically zero content for vr that is remotely interesting. Any non retarded consumer will wait till vr becomes a hit and most companies start putting sheap hd screens in their phones and actual content is being released.
Also this >>51947281
>>
>>51947807
I live in a 3rd world country where nothing is free. Things are relatively cheaper when we account for purchasing power parity in dollars, but our real income is proportionally less as well.

The most expensive thing over here is education, if you want to go to an elite university, you better be rich.
>>
>>51946740
>How does /g/ deal with planned obsolescence?
I stop desiring silly things like the latest gaymz.
>>
>>51947845
That retard has autism, he thinks that because he has imagination and can "imagine" other people doing what he thinks seems "reasonable", they will actually do that. Cheap and dumb sci fi writers "think" like that.

When in actuality, the average consumer does not know of the functions of a phone. The average consumer is extremely stupid and 90% + of the users end up using their expensive smartphone like they would a 100 dollar phone, for facebook, twitter, whatsapp and sms.

The expensive phone thing is just a bubble, once the people actually realize that a phone that doesnt even cost half of the money of a top phonecan do all of the things that they need it for, it may burst eventually.

try to prove me wrong.
>>
>>51946763
>lagdroid
>I have no clue about tech and tought touchjizz is the representation of actual android

How did you faggot make a galaxy s5 lag? I have a 1GB ram phone and it only lagged when i had a game running and used severa IM's and the browser, and still the lag was bearable.
Stop sperging out your memes and stop downloading any angry birds app to your next android phone.
>>
>>51947945
Agreed. Here in germany, a lot of young people refuse to buy an expensive android phones.
Most of my friends that had androids were pretty pissed that the phone died after rougly 2,5 years. Not the battery, the phone just stopped working. After that they either got used ones from ebay or bought a cheap phone.

And yes, we all use our phones or light browsing, IM and navigation, snapshots. Nothing that a 80-150€ phone won't do.
>>
>>51947258
Yeah, that likely some kind of money laundering scheme. I'm not saying the phones were stolen, but they may have been purchased with stolen credit cards or some kind of gift card scam.

I've also seen cases where store employees get a bonus in the form of store gift cards and use it to buy phones that they sell on ebay so it might be that.

I doubt people buy phones by accident, don't open the package and then resell them on ebay at a 30% loss. You can usually return unopened shit for a full refund.
>>
>>51947593
He's right you know. You have horrid reading comprehension.
>>
File: 1449493915060.jpg (241 KB, 1104x1140) Image search: [Google]
1449493915060.jpg
241 KB, 1104x1140
I throw my phones in the trash instead of recharging them
>>
>>51948001
>>lagxus 5
>galaxy s5
He was probably talking about the nexus 5 m8
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.