[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
What went wrong?
>>
File: b88888888888.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
b88888888888.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>51926589
>>
>Beautiful
>>
honestly only thing holding me back from Linus is vidya games. Plus I don't wanna have to go back and forth from OS like I did with my last laptop.
>>
>>51926589
Too much autism. Not enough competent programmers.
>>
File: bird.jpg (43 KB, 400x529) Image search: [Google]
bird.jpg
43 KB, 400x529
nothing
>>
>>51926589
You. It would have been the year of the GNU/Linux desktop if only you gave it a chance anon.
>>
Nothing.
GNU/Linux/Howeveryouwanttocallit was created for three purposes:
1. Because there should be an open source and free alternative to closed and paid software.
2. As a niche playground for programmers and those interested in fiddling with software.
3. To fulfill the principle of the freedom of choice by actually materializing choices, irrespective of what you think about the principle - good, or bad.

It wasn't created to compete with anyone like Microsoft and Apple, but rather to compete among itself.

As such, nothing went wrong.
>>
Winfags afraid of the terminal crawled to linux thinking theyll become ebin haxxors.

Otherwise it's fine
>>
>>51926645
Name ONE OS that is better designed (system design, not looks you filthy hipster) than Linux.
>>
>>51926885
OS X, Windows, ...
>>
>>51926895
>HFS+, NTFS
>Windows isn't damage control
>ancient bash version, no decent package manager
>very few apps in official store
>third party package manager sucks balls compared to Linux alternatives
>slower overall performance
>more overall ram consumption
>less customizability
>aimed at the masses, barely fit for power users
>closed source so you're out of luck if you do want to become a power user
>Windows library management
>Windows installers
>Windows ambiguous install locations
>OS X feature bloat
>becomes laggy after a couple of years
Nah.
Linux has ext4, ZFS, choice of environment, better partitioning tools, better performance, more lightweight, superior package management.
>>
>>51926885

Windows and it isn't even close.

OsX and it isn't even close.

Congratulations, Linux beats out Chrome OS though.
>>
>>51926629
This. Purely.
>>
>>51926885
I can name TWO OS', but I can tell by your post that you're not going to like it, and will do everything in your power to disagree with it even if you're objectively incorrect.
>>
File: 1437792058679.png (42 KB, 853x543) Image search: [Google]
1437792058679.png
42 KB, 853x543
>>51928800
>Windows and it isn't even close.
This is absolutely correct, that glorious DOS environment sure is well-designed.

Batch is a much better shell than shitty bash, drive letters are a great idea, cause who doesn't like the idea of physical devices influencing logical paths on the system.

Just packaging all dependencies as binaries with applications or fetching them manually in the installer all the time is a so much better idea than giving the option for automatic package management.

It also sure is a great help that binaries and libraries are installed into arbitrary nested directory structures. This allows you to add them to the PATH variables manually, nobody likes this kind of thing working automatically after all.

Luckily Windows got rid of that whole POSIX and C standard crap and allows us to write applications in glorious Microsoft defined standards.

On top of that, COM interfaces are probably the best and most thought-out way of inter process communication between software components ever conceived. Thank you based Microsoft.
>>
i prefer windows 8.1 over linux, though linux is very very useful and legally free
>>
>>51929062

>>Batch is a much better shell than shitty bash

You not understanding the difference between Unix shell scripting and running a batch file is a competence issue on your part, not the fault of Microsoft. If you want a Unix command line you use Powershell.

>>Just packaging all dependencies as binaries with applications

Yes, it is.

>>It also sure is a great help that binaries and libraries are installed into arbitrary nested directory structures.

It isn't any more arbitrary than Linux. default location is Program Files, program writable data to Program Data, user specific configuration and save files in the Users \appdata. A failure on your part to understand the directory structure is a competence issue for you, not the fault of Microsoft.

>>Luckily Windows got rid of that whole POSIX and C standard crap and allows us to write applications in glorious Microsoft defined standards

You can write in plenty of languages for Windows. I can repackage jar to exe for fucksakes.

>>COM interfaces are probably the best and most thought-out way of inter process communication between software components ever conceive

Uh, it actually kind of is. COM ties together a massive, massive amount of shit and has for like twenty years.
>>
>>51927074
>Windows actually does have ext4, choices of environment, partitioning tools, comparable performance, somewhat lightweight configurations, 3rd party package management.
>>
>>51926885
Only one is Unix master race.
>>
>>51930517
>windows
>ext4

you need to be quiet now.
>>
>>51930635
>you need to be quiet now.
www.ext2fsd.com/
>>
File: lintop2015.png (233 KB, 766x1722) Image search: [Google]
lintop2015.png
233 KB, 766x1722
Retarded community that can't actually code so make excuses and talk shit about other OS's all day rather than make something good.
>>
>>51926697

any other argument is just silly

/thread
>>
>>51930604
This desu senpai
>>
File: com.png (488 KB, 1066x1120) Image search: [Google]
com.png
488 KB, 1066x1120
>>51929762
PowerShell isn't even comparable to a unix command line.

>Yes, it is.
Even for cryptographic utilities that need fast updates? Even for huge frameworks like JRE and .NET? I'd like to have the choice if I package things or handle it externally. I do not want to *have* to keep track of the upstream development of *all* libraries I use and ship hotfixes manually. I do not want to be forced to bundle big frameworks with the binary.

>I can repackage jar to exe for fucksakes.
wow

>It isn't any more arbitrary than Linux ... default location is Program File
And where will the executables, libraries, header files, or configurations be exactly? In unix, executables will be installed to /usr/bin, or /usr/local/bin, which means they're automatically available in $PATH. Headers will be installed to /usr/include or /usr/local/include, which means they're available in the include path when you want to use those tools from within applications or from the command line. Same goes for libraries and configurations and anything else. All of this is not the case for windows, it requires you to specify paths manually, in most cases it requires other programs to do registry lookups to know where things are. All of this is extra configuration and programming effort, the registry is an additional point of failure, none of this is well designed.

>Uh, it actually kind of is
:^)
>>
Bad community (yeah, you gotta get it out somehow, but you're doing it wrong)

>>51927074
>overall
>more lightweight

go back to xda you poo-in-looper
>>
>>51930883
>but you're doing it wrong)
that's the case 99% of the time
>>
While people might have wanted Linux to eventually be a desktop OS, it's never worked out that way.

It's incredibly easy to underestimate how much work (overt work and subtle work) is put into making Windows and OSX user-friendly.

Probably the simplest thing that most Linux distros lack is a command line tutorial. Just a GUI+emulated terminal that teaches some of the basics and gets people accustomed to something so inherent to the Linux design. People dislike the terminal because they're afraid of fucking things up and they're just not used to it -- otherwise, they like and prefer it for most things. See: pretty much any PC gamer who plays games that have lots of features in the terminal (for example, Valve games, especially CSGO).

It's not as if Windows or Mac OS started with the assumption that people understood how to use those computers. Windows came with basic games; Macs came with basic editing software. Both effectively taught users the basics of their system (using a mouse, looking at a GUI, etc.).

There just needs to be another step for Linux. Hell, just spitballing now, but you could make it so that most commands would spit out text in basic English describing what it is you're doing and add a confirmation option, and this would always happen unless you opted out.
>>
>>51926589
What went wrong?
Your mother didn't miscarriage when I kicked her in the cunt,mate.
>>
>>51926589
The lack of usability, user-friendliness and self-explanation happened.
>>
>>51926697
This desu.

Tough the idea of free software is that when you get a copy of a program, it's yours. Kinda like real world cars. When you buy a car, you can sell it, you can repair it and you can give somebody else to repair it. The way Microsoft et al. are doing are practically "renting" software. Now imagine you couldn't buy a car anywhere in the world, you could only rent a car.

The issue though is that freetards wrote too much software for gratis and nobody expects to pay for a copy of a FOSS program. The way it was intended to be is you had to pay somebody for a copy of a program (say $250) and then you could do whatever you want it even sell it. For exampe you might give a copy program for free to your family and friends to help them, but you probably wouldn't give it for free to a stranger as you paid $250 for it, i.e. you would instead charge somebody else for money for a copy. The internet is to blame for this because it made file sharing so easy and at very low cost. But on the other hand it made a huge collaborative platform for projects like Linux and GNU. Security and collaborative values is what kept FOSS alive in the internet age.
>>
>>51932423
it works with cars because nobody pays 15k buckaroos for a shit car you sold for the 2k it's worth like a fair businessman.

Instead it'll go more like this:
>you write software x, worth 50 buckaroos
>sell it for 50
>some assclown buys it for 50
>assclown pretends to have written it himself
>assclown slaps bullshit marketing hypes and other shit onto it to attract consumers like flies to shit
>sells your stuff for 500 buckaroos because people are fucking stupid
>marketing makes his copy the only one people know
>you are unable to sell any other copies because everyone only knows assclown's rebranded version

You work to make someone else rich, and that is why true free software is a retarded idea. I'm all for code copyright instead: don't patent vague ideas or concepts (intellectual property is ridiculous bullshit that ruins so much), but instead protect your implementation of it. If someone else wants it, you can choose to give it to them for free, make them pay or tell them to write it themselves.
>>
>>51932515
And before anyone goes full autist: by copyright I don't mean the literal right to copy e.g. to download the code and just view it and such. but the right to make use of the code in some productive way. I don't care if people read the code I wrote and make profit from, I just don't want THEM to use MY work to make THEM rich while pretending it's THEIR work or anything.
>>
>>51926589
Drivers mainly.

Fuck having no macro keys on my keyboard, GPU fans spinning 100% all the time, CPU not going into sleep states, random network outages due to random wifi crashes.

I gave it a chance and it failed. I might try again in a few years
>>
>>51930644
http://www.ext2fsd.com/?page_id=2
you need to be quiet now.
>>
>>51932515
Btw anyone looking for an example of this: chromium.

Everybody knows chrome. Chrome makes tons of money, people love it, people would pay for it.

Nobody knows chrome is literally just chromium with a skin on it.

Google getting rich and popular by leeching the work of chromium devs, and only tinfoil hat loonixers know chromium exists.
>>
>>51932584
You're either baiting or just plain retarded. I'm betting on the latter.
>>
>>51926629
You can dedicated your entire GPU to a VM of windows and run Linux off of your integrated
>>
>>51926589
>winfags don't know how a live USB works
>macfags can't into USB, period. which is why they use those God awful connectors in their portable shit & only have one USB port on their laptops
>winfags don't know how to install an OS
>macfags use apple geniuses to install software
>winfags are intimidated by the idea of a CLI
>macfags aren't aware OSX has a shell
And most importantly
>winfags deal with windows' shortcomings by ignoring them and complaining, but not doing anything about them
>macfags deal with OSX's shortcomings by pretending they don't exist
>>
>>51932628
Prove me wrong, bitch

Or just give me all the code you've ever written and watch me monetize the fuck out of it and give you nothing while I pretend it's all my code
>>
>>51932700
Ok then anon. Kek
>>
>>51932684
Ok kid
>>
>>51932584
Wow, you must be a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>51926589
Nothing.
>>
>Social Whore Invasion From Tumblr
Or swift. Oh god I got to go post this in swift thread .
>>
>>51928800
Opinion dismissed due to insignificant knowledge.
>>
>>51932775
>>51926589

Tux looks retarded
>>
>>51932680
>shit tier neckbeard solutions
This is why anybody who has a life doesn't use Linux.
>>
>>51926589
It's buttugly and not user friendly.
>>
>>51933260
I don't think it's actually hard. Idk even how to do it.
>>
>>51933260
False, many people use android which is in fact linux
>>
>>51933580
Point still stands.

Nice trying to defend your Chinese cartoon themed OS though.
>>
>>51933457
It's probably not hard to do, just unnecessary because the easier and better solution would be to not use Linux if you're just trying to play games.
>>
>>51933580
> bringing up Android in a post about Linux DESKTOP fragmentation and fail
> being dumb as undigested corn in a turd
>>
>>51926589
what do you mean?
>>
>>51934136
But I've already made the switch to mint.
It's like Herion man, can't quit won't quit.
I'd rather be able to use both ;_;
>>
File: 1441405338601.jpg (62 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
1441405338601.jpg
62 KB, 600x449
>>51926589
Why do they always have to draw tux as a penguin with down syndrome?
>>
Is there anything wrong? Debian on the laptop and Windows 7 on the desktop reporting.
>>
>>51934069
>>51934138
Many governments also use it along with many businesses that provide many services used everyday by people, one of the charity that give laptops to children for educational purpose use Linux distribution as the OS, Stephen Fry is a well know person for many reason that agrees with the GNU philosophy and has use Linux in his life but also have talked about GNU, Linux and many more topics of technology
>>
>>51926629
I found I got much more productive when I switched to linux because no vidya
>>
>>51929062
pretty much this

also
>registry
who the FUCK thought it was a good idea to keep this around
>>
systemd>>51926589
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.