[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /Reverse Engineering/ Here? What are some good resources
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 4
File: OllyDbg2.gif (81 KB, 969x713) Image search: [Google]
OllyDbg2.gif
81 KB, 969x713
Who /Reverse Engineering/ Here?

What are some good resources to learn from and what are your favorite tools, /g/?

Last thread died too quickly, as expected. I think we should get some RE discussion here, I think a lot of people are interested.
>>
>>51917949
I reversed some Snapchat clone earlier to remove the ad banner from it, ama.
>>
What can reverse engineering do for me and will it help me compile gentoo faster?
>>
>>51918917
It can be great fun and maybe have some monetary value if you crack expensive paid programs
>>
>>51917949
Bump
>>
Is editing some hex values on a VMware executable to remove the annoying tool tips reverse engineering
>>
check out practical malware analysis, pretty decent book.

also the ido pro book will help you learn... ida. but if you are serious you are better off buying a legit copy because that program has so many differences between each version you are better off just staying up to date with the legit one

reversing is pretty difficult especially when you get into complicated stuff, but its kind of fun
>>
>>51919460
if you found out how to do it yourself then yes, definitely.
>>
>>51919519
>reversing is pretty difficult especially when you get into complicated stuff, but its kind of fun

How long does it take until you get to the point where you're not just copying the tutorial and confused about what 90% of the shit you see is?

Also can you make any money really from this, or is it mostly just for fun?
>>
>>51919540
I did not, I looked it up and stumbled across that solution. but I suppose that's the gateway into starting, do you have any recommendations for resources
>>
>>51919603
Take a CompSci course at a community college. I know it is a meme but so many of the basics you learn there help with "hacking" in general
>>
>>51919651
Just start very simply as you have done and understand what each step is doing. From there you should be able to move up in complexity. Not rocket science
>>
>>51919733
>Community college

They literally teach you how to write hello world in C. Kind of useless.
>>
>>51919816
So I would assume you have never taken a course or were a first week dropout. CompSci 1st year you learn how to interpret binary, hex, basics of mem addressing and how the os in theory interacts with hardware with a ton of other stuff. All of that is useful. But yeah any programming class for the sake of learning to code is generally BS
>>
>>51919927
Not in community college man.

I literally never attended class entire first year and got 4.0 gpa.
>>
How do I become Xylitol?
>>
>>51919603
>Also can you make any money really from this
You can earn a _very_ handsome salary if you're good at it. Most people aren't, and the entry bar is set pretty high.

Source: I'm working as a black-box security researcher / reverse engineer. I have a 3 CVEs to my name and I've found lots of alarming shit in safety-critical systems.
>>
>>51920339
>You can earn a _very_ handsome salary if you're good at it

What's the usual salary range? Unless it's well over $200k/yr it seems more profitable to just exploit the shit yourself lol
>>
I think the first step to learning reversing is learning assembly, because reversing is basically reading assembly instructions from a binary that has been disassembled
>>
>>51920663
boring af tbqh smdh senpai
>>
>>51918455
what tools did u use senpai?
>>
My first reverse engineering adventure began with reshacker.

It was fun messing around with trial software that had watermarks on the content it produced. This was back in windows xp days.
>>
can you crack ida with ida?
>>
>>51920699
programming in assembly is as fun as programming in any language
>>
>>51921325
Oh come on.
>>
>>51920235
Ditto, I did this and nearly got steamrolled by work once I transferred to my last two years of bachelors.
>>
>>51921475
Yeah community college is definitely easier than highschool AP classes.

Huge meme that is not worth it unless you transfer to a proper 4 year school after.
>>
>>51921432
But it is, as long as you dont reinvent the wheel when you dont have to.
>>
>>51921587
What is so interesting about it?

Maybe i'm just a noobfag but it just hurts my brain to think about it all and it's too much work.
>>
well /pol/?
>>
>>51920287
G0d
>>
>>51922836
what?
>>
>>51921508
i mean if you just go to get an A and watch anime/play video games all day you're not going to learn anything. I just finished computer architecture in my 2nd year and can understand 90% of OP's image.
>>
>>51923182
I have done nothing and understand about most of it, too. I can't tell what the program is doing exactly, some image manipulation, I believe (but that's from the filenames and comments in registers).
>>
>>51917949
I'm just looking at OP's pic, trying to get a sense of everything in that image, what are the A, T, D, and O flags? I know Carry/Parity/Zero/Sign, but I can't think of what those other ones would be.
>>
>>51923569
Thanks for the hint about "register flags".
Adjust, Trap, Direction and Overflow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAGS_register
>>
>>51922897
Xylit0l = g0d :]
>>
>>51925336
Did anyone try to kill him yet?
>>
File: 1449812949538.jpg (64 KB, 556x417) Image search: [Google]
1449812949538.jpg
64 KB, 556x417
>>51917949
PSA: x86_dbg is GOTY debugger that harkens back to ollydbr. Seriously try it.
>>
>>51919165
How do you make money from cracking? I cracked a 3000 dollar program and released on to usebet and some ddl sites just for luls.
>>
>>51925403
>Not using Immunity debugger

lmao go back to heckforums
>>
http://reversewithme.blogspot.com/2012/10/why-lena151-tutorials-wont-teach-you.html
>>
>>51925417
>How do you make money from cracking? I cracked a 3000 dollar program and released on to usebet and some ddl sites just for luls.

You were suppose to infect it ya dunce.

>>51925429
>Trusting some random memer

The tutorials are a good start for most people although they're obviously not the end-all of it.
>>
>>51920852
This too for me. Moved up to exe scope, then Olly. Now I'm playing games and fapping to threeways. What a life!
>>
>>51921301
No, it wont let you apply the patch to the exe since you're using it. Clever bastards.
>>
>>51925438
But then what? How to money?
>>
>>51925438
Does core and the major scene crackers infect there releases?
>>
>>51925511
>But then what? How to money?

formgrabber lmao
>>
>>51925511
>>51925549
jk don't, just release it for fun.

What program was it?
>>
>Tfw too retarded to learn reverse engineering

Is there any point of living for people like me? At what point does it get easier for most people?
>>
>>51918455
>implying unpacking an app and changing files is reverse engineering
>>
>>51919603
When you learn asm
>>
>>51925584
Nice try FBI. You wouldnt want it. I basically did it to save my employer a boat load of money. I didt see a dime, but that's OK, I did it for fun. And I got to flex my skills.
>>
>>51925895
>He does it for free

Jesus man. Do you not value your time at all?
>>
>>51925760
jmp/nop cracking is still cracking, my friend.
>>
>>51925908
I do, but I get paid enough to do things I do anyway on free time for lulz. Makes me look like I care about saving money. Boss loves me. Some shit pos system, big deal. I'll offer a price if he wants the deluxe version of the system. Prolly same patches on that one too.
>>
>>51925895
no company would ever willingly accept a fucking 'cracked' version of a program knowing it was not legit
>>
>>51925961
It's a school tho. A US one at that.
>>
>>51925961
This.

It's first of all illegal obviously but even if it wasn't they want warranty and an up to date version

>>51925953
Why didn't you just infect it lmao
>>
>>51925972
>A government school accepting a cracked version of a program

Nah that's a lie
>>
>>51925979
Because I believe piracy is freedom. Infecting my own shit would go against that.
>>
>>51926004
But piracy is theft.
>>
>>51925988
Sure thing, man. What worked for me may not work for you, but hey. Keep on keeping on.
>>
>>51925972
even more reason to not believe you.
>>
>>51926031
How do your story make any sense? It would at least be somewhat plausible if it was in India or something but a US school would NOT accept a cracked version of program.

They have enough money, they don't need to use some sketchy shit instead of just buying a license and getting technical support and updates for it.
>>
>>51921649
>noobfag
>hurts my brain
>too much work

so you have an annoying personality,
you self-identify as stupid to the point of feeling physical pain when thinking about things,
and you also advertise yourself as lazy

and you're asking why normal, motivated, intelligent people would want to learn how to tinker with and learn about the instructions that everything we do on a computer gets boiled down to?

what's interesting about it is that it's at the bottom of everything we do on computers, and we like computers and want to know more about them.
>>
>>51926127
I think I just meant that it seems too difficult to get into as a beginner.

Like it's not something you can just "jump into" and understand right away, takes a lot of time to get anywhere where it starts to "make sense".
>>
>>51926062
not the guy you're responding to, but when i was in high school, my IT guy (who was a total idiot and barely kept the machines online) would hit up students (myself included) for pirated copies of things to run the backend stuff of the school.

past that, out of high school when i got a job at a small web development company (total shithole, so that may explain it), all their software was pirated. from their windows server copies that ran the client sites to the photoshop and adobe software copies on the designer's machine to the microsoft office on each pc. the company is gone now.. not because they were pirating shit, but because they were a bad dysfunctional company that didn't effectively conduct business.

>they have enough money
yeah maybe to pay the administrators... the actual school equipment & material, teachers, and especially the technology doesn't see a dime of it most of the time unless you're in a real nice school district or some shit.
>>
IDA for life, exetools got 6.8 leaked recently
>>
>>51926169
>but when i was in high school, my IT guy (who was a total idiot and barely kept the machines online) would hit up students (myself included) for pirated copies of things to run the backend stuff of the school.

That is incredibly irresponsible and illegal. What exactly stops it from being infected, either unintentionally or intentionally by you?

>yeah maybe to pay the administrators... the actual school equipment & material, teachers, and especially the technology doesn't see a dime of it most of the time unless you're in a real nice school district or some shit

Schools(and any government area really) waste tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars every year on useless shit. Usually more like millions. They definitely have enough to be able to follow the rules and buy licenses.

What's going to happen when they discover a backdoor in their servers and look into it to find out that some retarded IT cuck installed an infected cracked version?
>>
>>51926213
>That is incredibly irresponsible and illegal. What exactly stops it from being infected, either unintentionally or intentionally by you?

nothing. like i said, the IT guy was beyond stupid. i don't actually think he knew anything about computers when he started working, he just kind of figured it out by googling and calling the microsoft support line.

>What's going to happen when they discover a backdoor in their servers and look into it to find out that some retarded IT cuck installed an infected cracked version?

hopefully he gets fired and someone intelligent takes over. he should've been fired on day one.

consider, perhaps, that nobody is telling you that it SHOULD happen, just that it DOES happen, because people are stupid and people do things they shouldn't all the time. and organizations (and schools) are made of people... some organizations are full of stupider people than most due to region, funding, or dumb luck.
>>
>>51926229
>consider, perhaps, that nobody is telling you that it SHOULD happen, just that it DOES happen, because people are stupid and people do things they shouldn't all the time. and organizations (and schools) are made of people... some organizations are full of stupider people than most due to region, funding, or dumb luck

Kind of terrifying that even if you follow proper security measures some retarded IT cuckold could get all your data related to school compromised in some way.

I guess that explains why some people make millions every year from tricking retards like that.
>>
What are some cool blogs or youtube channels you guys follow for RE-related stuff?
>>
File: crkdown.gif (5 KB, 158x43) Image search: [Google]
crkdown.gif
5 KB, 158x43
>>51917949
I'm extracting the OST from some VN game files, though it doesn't require much skill, just an hex editor.

The editor I use is XVI32.exe which is pretty handy, though I'm searching something a little better for basic editing.

Anyways, I found a very well done guide for RE which might be useful for aspiring crackers:
http://www.woodmann.com/krobar/beginner/crknotes.html

It's old af but it's good because it explains from the very basics, with examples too.
>>
>>51925403
Blue_Nigs1234
>>
>>51926015
Oh fuck off judas!
>>
Me, IDA Pro is the best solution.
>>
Anyone experienced in reverse engineering Flash/Actionscript?

When I used the standard off-the-shelf tools, the generated code is invalid. Namely, there function calls from uninitialized objects. It's quite clearly been obfuscated, I don't know how to interpret this.
>>
Get some plugins for your Olly.
>>
>>51925744
it's simple, git gud
>>
RADARE OR DIE FAGGOTS
>>
>>51917949

on win2k, softice was dah bomb. shit would just melt.
>>
beginners.re
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.