[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the best way to hook up a hard drive to a raspberry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: wdred3tb.jpg (322 KB, 1920x1343) Image search: [Google]
wdred3tb.jpg
322 KB, 1920x1343
So what's the best way to hook up a hard drive to a raspberry pi, /g/?
I heard that externals have high failure rates so I was looking into getting a "normal" HDD and hook it up with a converter, however I'd need:
* A powered USB hub (expensive!)
* A SATA to USB converter
as well as the HDD itself.
Should I do that and hook up a WD Red 3TB to my raspi or should I just get an external? Also what external is best with 3TB or 4TB of storage for ~$110? Transfer rates are not that important because it'll be bottlenecked by the raspi's USB 2.0 anyways.

Also hard drive thread I guess.
>>
>I heard that externals have high failure rates so I was looking into getting a "normal" HDD and hook it up with a converter
wat
>>
>>51913602
What do you not understand about that?
I mean I haven't confirmed that externals have higher failure rates, I've just been told that they're crappier drives and reviews also seem to indicate they're shitty. Is this wrong?
>>
>>51913668
I wouldn't worry too much. I have an internal in a separate inclosure hooked up to my pi, but if you don't want to go through the hassle just get an external and make backups every so often if its important.
>>
>>51914062
Most seperate enclosures say they only support drives up to 1.5TB or 2TB and I want a 3TB drive.
Are they meming me or is it legit? Also what enclosure do you have?
>>
>>51914185
Also excuse me for namefagging, I still had it on when I shouldn't.
>>
>>51913668
They're still just regular internal hdds in external shells.

There is no real difference.

Read reviews of external hdds, find which drive they have inside. If its good you'll see good reviews.

If not, buy the drive you want and get a usb adapter, hence doing the same thing as an external hdd.

Step up senpai this is consumerism 101
>>
>>51914296
Yeah but what I'm saying is, I can't find out for any of them what kind of drive is inside
And most of them get pretty bad reviews
Getting a powered USB + adapter adds up to at least $30 so I'd like to avoid that
>>
I've had no problems with my raspi2 connected to a powered USB hub, and an external hdd attached to that. At this point its up to what hdds you're looking at, but a powered USB hub is not expensive at all, definitely cheaper than an entirely new hard drive.
Failure rates are always wonky, better start researching
>>
File: 1345508175395.jpg (270 KB, 1502x1000) Image search: [Google]
1345508175395.jpg
270 KB, 1502x1000
>>51914455
Externals have cheap HDDs inside thats all. For example if its a WDigital external its going to be the cheapest WDigital drive. Buy a drive with good reviews and use a sata to USB that will work with your pi(google it)

/thread nothing to see here move along.
>>
>>51913542
Icy Dock.
>>
>>51914660
how is that /thread?
That doesn't solve my issue at all. Externals have shitty drives in them so they're not an option, internals are more expensive because they need a powered hub and adapter. You've said nothing except what I already knew or expected.

>>51914574
Like I said, externals have high failure rates so I want to avoid getting one
>>
>>>51913668
>They're still just regular internal hdds in external shells.
>There is no real difference.
>Read reviews of external hdds, find which drive they have inside. If its good you'll see good reviews.
>If not, buy the drive you want and get a usb adapter, hence doing the same thing as an external hdd.
>Step up senpai this is consumerism 101
>>51914296
Exactly this. I bought a WD Passport 5 years ago and the micro usb input broke so I decided to break it open. Turns out that it was a WD blue 500gb, and the enclosure was the problem not the drive.
>>
>>51915016
but that's way more expensive, like I've said a billion times.
I'd need both a sata to USB which is like $10 as well as a powered USB hub which is like $20
>>
>>51915056
If you can't afford the 30 bucks, then just get an external if its cheaper, why does everybody come here for help, then act like a dick when people try to help.
>>
>>51914773
What the fuck are you talking about?
All an internal drive needs is a $2 sata cable.(Desktop). if you're doing all this extra shit for a laptop then you're retarded
>>
>>51913542
Won't you need a powered hub for either one? The raspberry pi can't really put much juice out through usb
>>
>>51915127
there's a difference in helping and just repeating what I said already (externals are shit, internals need an adapter).
The price difference is like 50% for me ($100 for a 3TB external versus $120 for a 3TB internal + $10 adapter + $20 hub)
I've heard externals fail in like a year
But nevermind then, you're a dick, I'll go ask someone else somewhere
>>
>>51915172
most externals come with a seperate power cable.
Very few externals have power over USB. The one I'm looking at sure doesn't either way
>>
>>51913542
Problem is usually the shitty power supply that comes with an external drive. It is in no way comparable to a decent internal PSU where the 12V rails are extremely stable.

External enclosures usually have really shity chink power supplies that give anywhere between 11 and 13 volts with really unstable amps.

Most of the external drives that died on me actually still had a working HDD inside, the power brick from the enclosure was just too unstable to be able to power it anymore. Toshiba is generally notorious for using shitty enclosures. Also the cheap WD mybooks are pretty bad too.
>>
>>51913542
OP you dont need a powered usb in most cases, just set the usb power to 1 (google it) in config.txt, i have an arch media server running with a 2Tb HDD
>>
>>51914773
you fucking stupid little shit did you even google the shit head. This is what i use with my pi. I did not have to ask a fucking board I just googled it why are you so fucking stupid OP

https://jet.com/product/detail/1eef049bf6454517a4c8a0338ef1d571?jcmp=pla:ggl:electronics_a3:electronics_accessories_computer_accessories_computer_risers_stands_a3_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=c602b034-0aa8-4ab8-b413-528904849488&gclid=CjwKEAiA18mzBRCo1e_-y_KLpXISJACEsANGwPguz0-kiE9kb4zq2BvgdVbxBScGF9Hbvi_m0_YwhhoC4Ivw_wcB
>>
>>51915232
So what do you suggest then for an internal HDD? I mean I can't really hook up a real PSU can I?

>>51915257
I heard that not using a hub fries your raspi

>>51915311
You clearly can't read. This does not answer any of my questions.
I was asking which would be better, a (more expensive) internal HDD solution or a (shittier) external HDD solution, you just link me to a bunch of cables that don't fit my requirements, with plugs that don't work on my wall sockets, on a website that doesn't ship to my country.
>>
>>51913542
>>51913542
I can teach you how to create your own powered USB hub that has only 1 USB and can supply up to as many amps as the wires can carry.

>Get USB cable
>Cut it in half
>(Assuming USB 2.0)
>Identify data wires, there are 2 of them.
>Identify power wires, those are usually red and black, and 2 of them.
>Cut power wires.
>Seal and isolate power wires coming from original device
>Buy 0.5$ 1 amp 5V (or more, as many amps as you want) adapter
>It has USB cable coming out
>Cut the end off its usb
>It only has 2 wires, red and black inside.
>Connect red to red on the non-sealed side
>Connect black to black on the non-sealed side
>Re-connect data wires
>Throw isolation everywhere

How to use the end result?
The USB cable is directional, basically, data comes in from the RPi, but its power does not reach the HDD, which instead takes its power from the adapter you hooked to it.

For bonus points, add a barrel connector to the USB cable so you can use different adapters for different powers on the same USB cable

Hope it helps!
>>
>>51915371
I'd get a good 3,5 inch hard drive like HGST (expensive but good quality) and put it inside a well reviewed enclosure. I'm using a Sharkoon Quickport XT, it can even power up the shittiest drives (that failed in other enclosures) for me (I recover a lot of data for people). It's not really an enclosure though, it's more like a dock that makes swapping drives easy.
>>
>>51915371
>I was asking which would be better, a (more expensive) internal HDD solution or a (shittier) external HDD solution
You should be able to solve this.
>>
>>51913542
get a banana pi
>>
>>51914296
>They're still just regular internal hdds in external shells
The problem is the enclosure and the controller. I think the vast majority of Seagate and WD external drives have this advanced sleep function that reduces the power consumption of the drive dramatically... at the expense of longevity because it literally shuts the drive down, so you need to restart the drive once you wake it from idle (i.e. clicking on a window connected to the drive). The problem is that it can cause unnecessary amounts of wear on the drive's motor and seeker, since you're turning on the whole drive again.

But leaving the drive on the whole time will cause it to get very hot because plastic is not a good conductor of heat. The heat continues to build up as you write or read onto the drive, so it continues to build up until you hit the maximum thermal ceiling of the drive. The drive then cuts its read/write speed to maintain that temperature so you get reduced performance and expose the drive to an unnecessary amount of heat. Heat can kill drives over time, especially if you have them running at the thermal limit for extended periods of time.

What I'd do is buy a cheap HDD and an external enclosure with a fan built in. USB3.0 is way overkill for any platter-based drive (even with the overhead), so it's possible to run a RAID0 multi-drive enclosure on the same USB3.0 cable and not lose performance, given that it stays cool enough.

I would not use an external SSD enclosure on anything less than a eSATA 6.0GBps or Thunderbolt 2 connector. I don't know why, but the SATA-to-USB3.0 controllers on nearly all enclosures can not handle extended read/writes above 300MBps. You're better off using a HDD for costs and less speed reduction due to USB3.0's overhead.
>>
>>51915232
There is a 4-pin-molex-to-11V adapter, but I don't remember where I found it.
>>
>>51913542
Hint:If you open up an external hard drive case you'll find a "normal" hard drive.
>>
>>51916314
No get a banana pi pro, they have more memory and don't have that retarded yellow rca cable port.
>>
>>51916880
yeah
or a newer model
>>
>>51916845
And render it useless in a desktop since most have guards against removing them
>>
>>51914296
Not all externals are like this. Some have propriety connectors inside so that they are completely useless outside of the enclosure.
>>
>>51913542
And this is why the Pi is pointless
>>
>>51918509
What about an orange pi?
>>
>>51914212
I have a 2.5" enclosure for a 750gb drive from an old laptop. Didn't need external power, just had to bump up the max output on the rpi usb.
>>
External harddrives ARE normal harddrives.
>>
I don't get rpis. It seems like they're macbook airs in that you keep seeing "oh you don't need that anymore!" and days later you are carrying around external drives, external ethernet usb adapters, external cd drives and your bag is bigger than someone with a normal laptop. Why not just buy a mini ITX motherboard, and get power and the small size.
>>
>>51918509
true
>>51918727
no

just get a cheap 50 dollar celeron 6w
>>
>>51915056
You can just buy a 2.5 inch drive that won't require a a separate power supply just a usb bridge and cable. But you can get that as one by buying an external drive and ffs the reason the failure rays are higher is because they always get moved and knocked around all day.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.