[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will this certification land me an interview to get some kind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: aplus.1.jpg (15 KB, 379x227) Image search: [Google]
aplus.1.jpg
15 KB, 379x227
Will this certification land me an interview to get some kind of tech job?

Just so I can leave my hospitality job, that is going nowhere, and at least get some "technology related" job experience on my resume, if nothing more. For demographics, I'm a 22 year old wm who lives in Orlando, Fl. No red flag unemployable things about me.

More about me? I'm easy to get a long with and work with on a team. I have average to above average social skills, a solid employment history, and can show trustworthiness/responsibility.

I hope to transition my career into a technology industry. I realize that this is probably a beginner certification, and not enough to have some great career or great job. But if I have this certification, and I'm studying computer science in college, is it enough to at least get interviews for some sort of technical job that can pay enough to survive on? Or is this some sort of junk certification that is really a marketing product sold by CompTIA that no employer takes seriously, or honestly gives a shit about?

Thanks for your help /g/.
>>
>>51888528
Wow, this board is really full of unambitious people.

Do engineering, not hardware. That's for poor people.
>>
>>51888557
>unambitious people

I'm trying to pursue a college education in Information Security at night while working during the day.

I think I could get this certification with minimal money/time cost, so that the job during the day, could be somewhat related to the career instead of another 6 mo.s or more working in hospitality.

I appreciate your reply bump, but please dude, just try to reply if you have something to say about the subject of the thread.
>>
It won't necessarily land you an interview, but not having it will really decrease your chances of getting one.

>>51888557
He sounds pretty ambitious to me. Most people I know settled for a dead end job and stayed there.
>>
>>51888709
Thanks. Practically speaking, do you have any opinion on what you'd like to see in addition to something like this to qualify for an interview? A college degree in something with computer science or IT? Your contribution is appreciated anon.
>>
>>51888655
>security

Oh well disregard what I said, decent plan

Anyway I know a few who seek this but usually they stop with the certification and try to get by with it for the rest of their lives, just tired of seeing this.

They usually get giggs pretty early because so many people are still computer illiterate its criminal.
>>
>>51888746
I got a decent computer assembly job just with A+, Net+, and personal experience. If you're shooting higher than that you'll want a college degree. What it's in honestly doesn't even matter, just the fact that you have one. It's some bullshit.
>>
>>51888770
Thanks man. Mediocrity and complacency is a silent killer; like cancer.

I'm inferring you support the idea that I can get a pleb-tier job to support myself while in college with the A+, right?
>>
>>51888789
Thank you. Maybe I'll check into Net+ too. Do you mind describing where you work or what you do? I mean I get computer assembly means assembling computers, but do you work on like a factory line, or making custom gaming shits, or what? Thanks again for contribootin. It's appreciated.
>>
File: 1450191433302.jpg (50 KB, 478x315) Image search: [Google]
1450191433302.jpg
50 KB, 478x315
This is a sfw board I think, so if I can't post tits, maybe you guys would like a pug in a kid's pool wearing a cowboy hat as a reward for contributing to my thread.
>>
>>51888969
No doubt, it just takes attitude, you're already half way there-you actually want to do something with your time- just apply like crazy because you may not get the first few, but the important thing is the experience in the workplace.

>>51889076
Lol this isn't /b/, I think most of us came here to talk about actual topics
>>
>>51889076
Would rub belly/10 pup
>>
>>51888993
I suppose it is technically an assembly line, but really it's a bunch of dudes sitting at desks putting in parts. We do a lot of custom fanless cases for small motherboards. I spend half the day screwing in boards and putting on heat paste and the other half flashing bioses and installing operating systems.
>>
A+ is $400 for the 802 and 801 test.. $400 is a big price for a cert ;_;
>>
>>51889156
Sounds chill. I'm happy you've got a job that seems at least moderately interesting, and at least moderately paying. Better than carrying luggage, cleaning pots and pans, or clearing a construction site. Better meaning more clean, interesting, rewarding, safer, and probably better paying.

Well done based /anon/. As this guy would say >>51888770 though, you should keep going. I'd likely agree with him too.

Also, fanless setups sound cool. I've never seen such a thing. At least not that I know of.
>>
It's a waste of $400.

Assuming you're not making minimum wage I'd just stick with your current job. Even then going for the A+ probably isn't worth it.
>>
>>51889214
Most definitely, i'm pretty happy with it. Even if it's "entry level" i'm still working with computers.
Good luck to you.
>>
>>51889211
Jesus when did the price go up so much?
>>
>>51889229

A+ and Net+ can get you a at least an easy $15 job. You're stuck with some shitty $11 job without them unless you like driving around.
>>
File: 1438487840083.jpg (98 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1438487840083.jpg
98 KB, 600x800
>>51889211
>$400 is a big price for a cert

I agree. It's important to consider the cost, while trying to determine the value of the damn thing. Apparently it's difficult to determine it's value. I don't know if anyone who hires people is looking for this, especially applied to the context of someone who doesn't really have any other technical credentialing. Do you know how much the Network+ is? Maybe CompTIA runs two'fers.... are two of them even worth a damn though?

Here's a pug that is ready to be shipped!
Also, I don't have any more pugs to post.
>>
>>51888528
try meth. how do you know you don't like it. just a little bit ;)
>>
>>51889211
FOR
YOUUUU
>>
Tfw you know more than %90 of Best buy employees, but they're more "certified" than you. Geek squad didn't know what an IPS display was and they called an SSD a solid hard drive. Can't even find a part time shitty minimum wage job bc "no experience". Feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>>51889287
Alright, thank you. That's two people who talk about there being value in getting the A+ and Net+. A job paying something like that in the "tech" field would be good for me while in school, man. I need to price the Net+ and try to find like a two-for-one deal, or internet coupon. Something....

Thanks to this person too. >>51889229
My mind isn't made up, but I'm leaning more toward getting the cert(s).
>>
Friend of mine got 4 certs including MCSA and landed a bank job making 15 dollars an hour. But I guess prison really fucks up your opportunities.
>>
>>51889211
CCIE Written is $400. Anything CompTIA+ is a ripoff.
>>
>>51888528
I cannot comment about the worth of the certification because I have never worked help desk type jobs. (I do software product development.) However, being that you're in college, why don't you try to get an internship or summer job? A lot of companies love to hire college students for STEM work because it's an inexpensive way for them to try out potential employees.
>>
>>51889214
>fanless setups

It's quite possible if you use arm and ssd/msata/emmc
>>
>>51889667
>try to get an internship or summer job
My school has a career database where stuff like that gets posted. But my understanding is that the internships and summer jobs are unpaid. I've got to have compensation, and for more than just the summer. That's a great suggestion for a better career path, and if I find one that pays I'll apply. Thanks!
>>
How hard is the A+ test? Im not very smart.
>>
>>51889863
Can you build a computer? You effectively know half the test
>>
>>51888789
This times a thousand. I lose tech jobs that I have like 3 years of experience in to fuck faces with a criminal justice or arts degree. Luckily I'm finishing up my bachelors here in the next year in network administration. But I have an associates already and had to get both my a+... Soon to be network plus.. And then security plus next semester. And I still get pleb tier jobs. Except lately I am getting more and more interviews for non entry level things.
>>
>>51889863
The hardest part for me was the example situations they have where they want you to choose the best or first thing you do in the example. To me almost all of the answers were correct ways but they want THEIR way/order of doing things. Other than that the rest is easy as shit if you've been around computers long enough.
>>
>>51889926
Thank you. Have you ever seen any deals, discounts, or two for one sales on doing the A+ and Network+? It sounds like they both need to be done together.
>>
>>51890113
Nope my certificates are apart of my college degree. Essentially if I pass the certification...I will pass the class. Pretty sweet gig since I will have a legit bachelors at the end and a shit ton of industry certs. On top of my work experience and previous associates.
>>
Senpai, I'm working twords my Server+ where are some good resources for the new test?
>>
>>51890113
Groupon has great deals
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.