[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 1448843190441.webm (3 MB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
1448843190441.webm
3 MB, 540x360
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
Is there a way to record WhatsApp and other similar app calls on Android? Normal call recording works okay but I get a lot of calls through WhatsApp that I need to record

Also is there a way to record video on Android 6.0 with the main screen off?
>>
I'm super fucked off that all versions are Windows now come with spyware that can't be disabled. And I want to play games, I'm living in a nightmare, and I just roll with the punches.

So is the best course of action, to just dedicate a machine solely to playing games and never talk or interact on the internet on anyway with it. And dedicate another machine for browsing, editing, downloading, basically everything else. Correct?
>>
Recently I've noticed that browsing the internet in any capacity tanks my torrent download speeds tremendously, of course I know that there's a drop in speeds but not to the degree that its been happening.
I didn't have this problem before a few weeks ago. I use deluge and can provide more information if need be.
>>
EDIT: just saw new thread

Hi /g/. I'm a new Arch user and I've decided to use the rxvt-unicode terminal emulator. I want to keep bash as the default shell but I've installed fish for ease of use when doing simple tasks.

I can't figure out how to get the terminal emulator to start up running fish, I've tried some things in the ~/.Xresources folder but to no avail. The only successful method I've had is to edit bashrc...this does work but I want to be able to run the "bash" command inside of fish to switch back and forth between bash and fish shells. If I run "bash" with an edited bashrc it just keeps running fish in the terminal emulator...

wat do?
>>
I got a new laptop and I really like it but the screen brightness is pretty low even on the highest setting.

Is there any other way to make it brighter?
>>
>>51843347

Find a windows 7 SP1 ISO and disable all updates, use firefox + noscript, adblocker and MSE and you'll be fine for viruses. Windows 7 doesn't have botnet throughout the entire OS like 10 does.
>>
>>51843347
Basically, yes.

>>51843351
Can you monitor you processes to see which are using the most bandwidth?
>>
Repostan

>>51843273

I don't feel like asking on /hpg/ and get told to spend 200 bucks on this.
>>
hey, i finished ori and the blind forest today and found out it's made with the unity engine. seems to be some kind of easy-to-run multifunctional 3D Engine everyone is allowed to use. im mostly doing helpdesk stuff at work but programming basics are pretty easy for me so i'd like to play around with it for a bit.
are there some sort of prepared simulations for it where you can try out stuff?
>>
>>51843361
Go to /etc/passwd find your name and on that line change /bin/bash to whatever you want your default shell to be.
>>
I just got a job starting next February as a tech guy in a small company, I'm fluent in c++ and Ruby but only after hiring did he say he wants me to do some web design too. Is it possible to learn html in 2 months? Any good resources?
>>
File: asdasd.jpg (445 KB, 1224x1631) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.jpg
445 KB, 1224x1631
how do I remove an adhesive that doesn't react to isopropanol?

would acetone do the job without destroying the paint underneath?
>>
Considering some of the purchases:
>4x Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB 3.5'' SATA3 64MB 7200rpm for RAID-5
Am I doing it good?

>BD-R optical drives
Is using BD-R a good approach for storage? What burner do You use / recommend
- I've heard about storing data on several optical disks in similar manner as RAID-6.
- I'm still CD-R for audio music, as far BD-R burners utilize this technology?

>>51843425
>>51843347
>disable all updates
Not good approach. I'd recommend to set:
- check for updates, but let me download
- download and apply Security patches only (use MBSA tool for additional security auditing)
- As for the rest of updates, make a review or check for opinions around
- blacklist the telemetry updates
>>
>>51843502

wait, so i want to keep bash as the default shell

everytime i run a terminal emulator i want fish to run with it

in the terminal emulator i want to be able to enter "bash" to switch back to the bash shell at any time
>>
In which file are the window and GTK themes for a DE saved?
>>
>>51843522

I use WD-40 on sticker residue.

Goof-off (Xylene) will remove anything, but it sometimes eats paint residue too.

HankHill.jpg
>>
Why does my LVM root partition have 3 corresponding device files in /dev? There is /dev/dm-0, /dev/mapper/debian-root and /dev/debian/root.
>>
any suggestions for a motherboard?
also will this be sufficient to play in 1440p? (i've got a 1080p monitor but plan on getting a 1440p in the future)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4v2zJx
>>
File: 1420572260729.jpg (134 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
1420572260729.jpg
134 KB, 800x792
>>51843576

SUPER SIMPLE MODE

basically i want the terminal emulator itself to run fish, that terminal emulator is called rxvt-unicode

can anyone help?
>>
>>51843504
- w3schools for understanding most of the stuff
- However for the pure designing stuff I have no idea
- Nor the technologies which You might utilize for starting a website
>>
Are high capacity flash drives a bad idea for backing up files? Been thinking about getting a couple 128gb ones and then storing them.
>>
>>51843684
Expand your use case.
But for starters, I'd not recommend it.
>>
Is it worth upgrading from a gtx 570 with a 2500k to a gtx 960? I can't afford the leap to the 970, but I can afford the 4g 960s.

Also I did some very basic searching and it still seems at least for games theres no reason to leave the 2500k yet. Is that correct?
>>
>>51843708
Use case?
>>
>>51843747
A scenario, particular example in Your situation.

What hardware do You have? What environment do You use? How much dosh?
>backuping files
Size? Frequency? Method?
>>
File: 1448498749031.gif (2 MB, 235x180) Image search: [Google]
1448498749031.gif
2 MB, 235x180
I installed Mint on my dual boot alongside Wangblows last night and it ran fine.
Woke up this morning to a black screen reading
"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported"

I know you need to put in your live CD/USB which I did but now what? It still shows the black screen with Minimal-Bash

I'm willing to answer any extra info if needed.
>>
>>51843740
>it still seems at least for games theres no reason to leave the 2500k yet. Is that correct?

I think there's no reason to leave the 2500k at all.

I have a fucking i3 and I could shove a 970 and get good performance on non cpu intensive games.
>>
Someone with Windows and that use mpv :
How do you put the sub-scale on the conf file?
Tried with sub-scale=10 /and/ --sub-text-font-size=0.300" and they didn't worked, but a keybind on thesame file is.
>>
If I add a double number and an int number in java, Do i get a double or an int ?
>>
>>51844097
double
>>
Last thread:

>install gentoo

How is it on resources? Is there another distro anyone would recommend?

I just youtube and browse this site. Maybe watch streams on Twitch

>inb4 install gentoo
>>
How well does kivy work for android apps?
>>
File: so divine.jpg (14 KB, 323x296) Image search: [Google]
so divine.jpg
14 KB, 323x296
>>51843623
tried WD-40 and it cleared that shit straight up, thanks for the tip
>>
>>51843797
I just wanna backup obscure anime and important pictures
>>
>>51843946
What you'll need to do is GRUB recovery - Windows most likely fucked up your partition.

http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd
>>
>>51844522
By fucked up partition I mean the partition names, your data should be fine.
>>
>>51843430
Sorry for the late response.
What program can I use to monitor bandwidth? I was using resource monitor but couldn't gauge much from that and it seems even having it open on the network tab was slowing my torrent speed to a crawl.
>>
I don't understand object orientation. I'm learning C++ in college (beginner) and I don't understand how or when to use objects. When we get an assignment, they always tell us exactly what to do, which makes it easier. But when I try to program by myself I never know if I should use objects. I can't think objekt oriented
>>
i need good programs that would replace skype app but still use their emails, and i'd be able to call friends from it.
i just can't find a good replacement to that horrible bloated mess.
>>
/g/ I'll try to keep this concise.

I was using a SGS3 that was in very poor shape after 3 years of abuse. I finally broke the LCD a few days ago and I can't do anything with it.

I have a Moto E that's locked to CricKet and I can't get the bootloader unlock code because CricKet sucks.

I have a shitty ZTE dumbphone for AT&T that I'm using right now, however all of my contacts were saved to my google account and not my SIM (I know it's retarded, I used a contact duplicator app and I thought it would keep the SIM contacts not the google ones).

When I put the SIM card in the Moto E it says that the SIM card is locked. Would I still be able to download my google contacts over wifi on it and then transfer them to SIM even if I can't use the service?
>>
i plan on building a pc but i don't have the money yet to buy all the parts, christmas is soon and my family don't really know what to get for me so which components should i get first?
>>
File: 1393884646183.png (501 KB, 605x437) Image search: [Google]
1393884646183.png
501 KB, 605x437
>Port forward utorrent
>allow through firewall
>still says port forwarding isn't on properly
>Port forwarding checking websites say the port is open

I've tried everything.
>>
>>51844640
btw i will most likely have the required budget around february - march
>>
>>51844670
Have you tried turning it off and then turning it back on.
>>
File: Tx0Kd39.png (153 KB, 884x665) Image search: [Google]
Tx0Kd39.png
153 KB, 884x665
>>51843268
I just purchased a new laptop roughly a week ago
What temperatures are acceptable/what range should I keep it in?
I've seen it get up to 84° C under load.
>>
>>51844684
utorrent or my router or both?
>>
>>51844487
Syncing then. Not backup.
Mite be good, however I would suggest to keep automated somewhat.
How about so-called cloud?
>>
trying to replace my windows 10 install with windows 7

downloaded an ISO. used windows USB tool to put it on there. and then I clicked setup

I went as far as the partition screen and clicked my primary one. it rebooted and then went into some kind of error. any reason why?

I don't think my BIOS recognizes my USB for some reason. How do I removed this broken install. any help
>>
whats's the best program to view tempatures
>>
>>51843563
>4 drive raid5
Not very fault tolerant considering the amount of money you'd be spending. Consider an SSD + 2 HDD raid1.

>storage
HDDs are still king, unless you want to get into tape.

>>51843631
>will this be sufficient to play in 1440p?
Depends on the game.

>>51843684
>>51844487
As mentioned above, HDDs are still king, but flash drives make a cost effective tertiary backup IMHO.

>>51844120
Debian+Non-Free drivers or *buntu.

>>51844592
Whats your OS?
>>
>>51844789
mostly battlefront and bf4
>>
>>51844767
the old windows tool doesn't work with GPT and UEFI.

Either use the windows 10 media tool or rufus.
>>
>>51843347
Best:
>Dedicated Windows machine for gaming only

Good:
>Dual boot Win+Linux. Everything that isn't needed by Windows gets encrypted:
>/
>/home
>swap
>any other drive holding data

Meh:
>Dual boot Win+Linux. Format all non-Windows partitions as ext4, since presumably Windows can't read ext4. No guarantees, though.

Shit:
>Dual boot Win+Linux. / and /home are ext4, but all your data drives are NTFS.

What the fuck are you doing:
>Windows only
>>
How retarded am I if I buy an i3 4170 for gaming?
>>
>>51844878
depends which games
>>
How do you guys think a Software Engineering CV should look like?
What tips do you have for a programmer making his CV?
what are the most important points someone should focus about?
>>
>>51844789
>Whats your OS?
Win 7
>>
Trying to use C++14 features in GCC:

g++ -Wall -std=c++14   -c -o prime_stream.o prime_stream.cpp
g++ -Wall -std=c++14 p007.cpp prime_stream.o -o p007
p007.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
p007.cpp:6:16: error: ‘make_unique’ is not a member of ‘std’
auto primes = std::make_unique<prime_stream>();
^
p007.cpp:6:45: error: expected primary-expression before ‘>’ token
^
p007.cpp:6:47: error: expected primary-expression before ‘)’ token
^
<builtin>: recipe for target 'p007' failed
make: *** [p007] Error 1

Any idea why it doesn't work? As you should see, I even set the standard in the makefile. Am I too stupid? GCC is version 5.2.
>>
People recommend disconnecting hard drives when installing the OS on an SSD so Windows doesn't make the boot partition on one of the hard drives. Is there anyway to make sure Windows installs the boot partition on the SSD without disconnecting other drives? If not, is there any way to move the boot partition after the OS has already been installed?
>>
>>51844640
Case and/or power supply.

>>51844692
84° C is not acceptable for a week old laptop, either get a professional to redo the thermal paste (if possible) or send it back.

>>51844775
lm-sensors

>>51844867
>Running Windows on the same bare metal as Linux
Air-gap or virtualization are the only safe methods IMHO.
>>
File: toshiba_canvio_1tb[1].jpg (172 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
toshiba_canvio_1tb[1].jpg
172 KB, 1200x1200
I just bought pic related, which is compatible with USB 3.0. A blue light comes on it when I plug it into the USB 3 port on my computer but it doesn't show up as a disk drive, or in device manager, or anything. Regular USB works, but how do I get it to work on USB 3.0?
>>
>>51844980
did you install your chipset/usb controller driver?
>>
Lads, which is the best free antivirus software to use right now?

I've been using Avast for years but the past 2 versions of it have been giving me problems to no end and I'm fed up with it and want to get rid.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 640x480
>>51844867
> Wangblows has been reduced to a gaming tool that only exists because MS pays off game makers to develop for Wangblows only and pays off corporations to shill it to their employees

Lmao @ how the mighty have fallen.
>>
>>51845194

Avira + MBAM + running every .exe you download through VirusTotal
>>
>>51845248
Is this the widely accepted answer or does everyone have their own opinion about this?
>>
What happens if your power supply is less than your GPU needs? Is there a concrete way to tell whether this is the case?
>>
>>51845194
clamav + noScript + common sense.

>>51845258
The widely accepted answer is common sense.
>>
I got a new computer. My old one has a 2TB drive just being used as storage. Can I just pop that one into my new computer without having to format it again?
>>
>>51845486
yes.
>>
>>51845507
Great. Thanks.
>>
What's the script to remove windows 7 botnet?
>>
When do you need to reapply thermal paste
>>
>>51845409

AFAIK uMatrix is >= noScript and has a better UI
>>
>>51844959
What's the best software to view temperatures on windows
>>
>>51845614
never. if the cooler doesnt get removed from the processor the thermal paste doesnt need to be repülaced
>>
>>51845534
Install Gentoo
>>
Good keyboard <$110 ?
>>
>>51845788
Go on Newegg/Amazon/[your online retailer of choice], search for keyboards, filter by five star rating (or equivalent), sort by lowest price, get the cheapest one there.

Paying more than $10 for a non-mechanical keyboard is a fucking rip-off.
>>
Why does youtube keep buffering?
I'm able to download at 7MB/sec without any problems, my ping is sub 20ms

I tried switching DNS Google DNS, my ISP, and Level3. My ISP is apparently hijacking Google's DNS to put in their own cache servers which are equally shit.

Level3's DNS has been the best for me, but today i'm having lots of issues with DASH playback.

The video will seem to be capped at 10mbps, and it will only start buffering again until the buffer runs out. Really goddamn annoying.

I tried installing YoutubeCenter but it hasn't been updated in forever and is really buggy.
>>
Is there really a noticable difference between an expensive gaming keyboard and a cheap normal one
>>
>>51845788
>Model M or Unicomp
>CM Storm QuickFire

Actually there are a lot of good keyboards at that price. It isn't until you go for the premium shit (Leopold) that the price point really goes up. If you go for a keyboard with Cherry switches, you'll probably end up swapping out the keycaps for a better set no matter what keyboard you buy.

My advice, don't get a keyboard with Cherry MX clones (especially Kailh). Gaterons are supposedly ok, but I would rather just get the real deal than stress out over whether the stems are going to break or any other bullshit you might have to deal with.
>>
>>51845935
https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

youtube changes too fast for a stable release, so there's only the developer edition of youtube-center that can keep up.
>>
>>51845871
Well I want a mechanical keyboard.
>>
>>51845935
https://archive.is/ewRRe
>>
>>51845672
http://niceme.me/
>>
Can you pirate Multiplayer games like Star Wars Battlefront?
>>
>>51845264
Your computer will turn off.
>>
>>51846000
jesus i know this is a stupid questions thread but what the hell
>>
>>51846000
Yes.
Can you play them online?
No.
>>
>>51845992
I don't have a problem with that. Some browsers don't discern between server not reachable and DNS lookup failed. So seeing that page isn't a problem, and most ISPs do that too.

Level3 was the only DNS I could find that doesn't get it's A records hijacked by my ISP when I nslookup google, gmail, or youtube.
>>
>>51845944
Extra buttons and fancy colors.

If you want a GOOD keyboard, get a mechanical, they feel a lot nicer to type on and last longer.
>>
>>51846000

No.

Unless there are pirate servers available
>>
What's the difference between GPLv3 and Apache2 licenses? Spoon-feed me pls.
>>
>>51845194
>clamav

Common sense+MBAM+Adwcleaner+ublock+disabling Flash+avast or some other free AV
>>
>>51846065
At which price range should i look for a mechanical keyboard
>>
>>51846100
http://choosealicense.com/licenses/
>>
>>51845264
Your best bet is to do some research. There are plenty of reviews for both CPUs and GPUs that will tell you power consumption. If you're at the borderline, your system will lock up or shut off when you start putting heavy loads on the CPU and/or GPU. Obviously, heavy loads mean higher power consumption.

If you have a system already set up, you can try using a $20 device called a Kill-a-watt to tell you how many watts you're using at the power outlet. Only plug your PC tower into it. Open something like Furmark or whatever and/or Prime95 and see what the power consumption is. Also remember the efficiency rating and headroom for your NB and other devices. Someone else might have a handy multiplication factor to factor that stuff in. But if you have a Bronze rated 500w PSU and you're sucking up close to that at the outlet then you should probably upgrade.
>>
>>51845620
>uMatrix

Is there a guide for retards or some shit? I tried it the other day and after enabling it I basically couldn't browse ANY website, the thing blocks everything
>>
>>51846142
As much money as you want to spend on a keyboard.

Look up the different mechanical switch types. Some make clicking noises, some require more/less force to push. Pick a switch type based on what you think you want.

They tend to be less sleek and XxX_MLGproSNIPER_XXX-ish, but they're well worth the money.
>>
Does having a overclockable cpu have a really big difference on video editing? I don't want to spend that much on an editing computer. I plan on getting an i5-4590.
>>
>>51846173
that's the point.
you selectively can enable/disable pretty much everything.

don't use it if you don't know how the web works.
>>
>>51846205
To add to this, if you don't know your switch preference then you really need to buy a tester. They're like $12 but it's better than spending $150-200+ on a keyboard and finding that you hate the switches. I thought I would like MX Browns until I bought a tester, then I found that I actually hated MX Browns and I liked MX Blacks the most.
>>
File: Platform.jpg (74 KB, 1051x208) Image search: [Google]
Platform.jpg
74 KB, 1051x208
Hey /g/ I'll admit, shit post frequently elsewhere but I need your help.

Essentially looking to make my own app for iKeks and Android fags. Problem is, and I've learned this the hard way, I used to "outsource" things to other people, instead of doing it myself, so I need to learn how to code in:
>Objective C
>Java
Am I right so far?

Not looking to use an app builder app, looking to do it from scratch, set up my own website, search engine optimization, advertising the works (down the line). But I need to start with an app.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>51846271
look up the official documents.
all have pretty good tutorials and how tos.
>>
My msi motherboard has VGA, HDMI, and DVI video outlets. Is it possible to run two or more monitors? Right now I'm just running a crappy VGA monitor, could I hook up a DVI?

I don't play games, so graphics performance doesn't bother me, just running Arch to browse the chans and irc
>>
Someone can teach me how to hack dropbox acc pls ?
>>
So I was just thinking
If you put two SSDs in RAID0, would they last twice as long since they're sharing the writes ?
>>
>>51846423
Depends on how many monitors your CPU supports, if it's Haswell or newer the answer is yes.
>>
>>51846537
I wouldn't know. It's an AMD A8 660K. Bought in late 2013 I think.
>>
>>51843268
What's that webm from?
>>
File: 1450040376-picsay.jpg (194 KB, 691x911) Image search: [Google]
1450040376-picsay.jpg
194 KB, 691x911
how much can I sell this pci tuner card for? the box is open but the parts are sealed untouched.
saa7130hl
sv0603ntvzg11902
>>
I have a harddrive in my PC that is non-essential for it to run. It always starts running when my pc boots, and it's noisy as fuck.

How do I stop it from starting with the pc?
>>
File: graphic card.jpg (58 KB, 600x481) Image search: [Google]
graphic card.jpg
58 KB, 600x481
>>51843268
is the B85M-E45 MSI modo compatible with the nVidia 980?
>>
File: logo_JavaScript.png (10 KB, 1052x1052) Image search: [Google]
logo_JavaScript.png
10 KB, 1052x1052
So I'm illiterate in javascript. I have three list items that open three different panels —how would I do it with a single function?
>>
File: 1358347937174.gif (3 MB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
1358347937174.gif
3 MB, 200x113
trying to install windows 10 on my macbook with bootcamp. is there a way to get a free legit working key for the home version or do i have to use some activators? i used kmspico when i installed it last time and it worked till recently when it said your key is expired, so i downloaded a bunch of other activators and now my windows is full of trojans and shit so i wanna reinstall.
>>
Is there a way to make the first cell in a spreadsheet in LibreOffice Calc be A0, not A1?
>>
Does anyone have a way to license win98SE? I don't trust any dowloads for something this old.
>>
>>51846573
Well congratulations, you have a GPU that is incredibly difficult to find specs for. A8 660K has an HD 8570D GPU, which it seems like AMD has nothing to say about.
AMD says this about the HD 8570 though, I'd assume it's the same:
>Up to 2 displays supported with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
>>
>>51846876
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how I'd get this running. Would I have to use a specific graphics driver? Something need to be changed on the motherboard? My mobo manual says nothing about this.
>>
>>51846961
Should be able to just plug a second monitor in, these things are normally plug and play.
>>
is every p2p music sharing service dead?

call me gay but i had a thing for downloading singles of foreign oldies music from the 60s and 70s

do i have any options to continue this?
>>
File: ssd-prices.png (261 KB, 888x1080) Image search: [Google]
ssd-prices.png
261 KB, 888x1080
When is the next big drop in SSD prices?

still around 27-30 cents/gig in the 960GB/1Tb range.
>>
>>51846516
Should. I'm a big fan of two ssd'd in a raid 0 for muh gaymes
>>
>>51847112
You dont need a 1tb ssd.
Like literally you fdont need it.
Dont store data on an ssd,get a 10k platter.
Use an ssd for your os plus a game or two you ALWAYs play.
Dont fall for the meme
>>
>>51843361
chsh
/bin/fish

gg
>>
Any recommendations of a library to train and use neural networks in Java?

I tried my luck with encog so far but beyond the simplistic introduction example where one trains the network to recognize the XOR it somehow doesn't work for me.
>>
>>51846573
>>51846876
>>51846961
>>51846977
Wikipedia lists 4 displays as a (theoretical) maximum for Trinity/Richland IGPs. They are limited to two non-display port displays, however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Eyefinity
>>
>>51847178
>>51847133
This. Two smaller (cheaper) ssd's in a raid 0 for the important shit, a big cheap spinning drive for everything else
>>
If I disabled history in Firefox does it still write on the hard drive when streaming a video? I thought it would only use memory but my hard drive still seems to be active.
>>
File: 1433087018939.png (603 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
1433087018939.png
603 KB, 630x630
I'm getting ready to re-install my OS, however I have Steam and have some games already installed. After booting the new OS and installing Steam, I'll be able to re-install my games with no problem, right?
>>
Hey can anyone here with HTML/Javascript experience please tell me where my code is fucking up?

http://pastebin.ca/3285988

Im trying to make the function not run when you have no more credits but I cant figure out why it isn't working for me.

>I'm literally retarded at this
>>
File: 2719075.jpg (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2719075.jpg
23 KB, 640x480
/p/ fag here, I have a system with a 4690k and an old xfx HD5850 - I want to get a 4k IPS display for photo editing and have my eyes on the Asus pb279q, however the HD5850 can't run that high resolutions, but the i5 4690k can.

Is it possible to run the display on integrated graphics but still have the GPU take care of some of the work?

I want to get a new GPU as well but I think I'll wait for Pascal or some hopefully cheaper HBM cards.
>>
>>51847229
raid 0 offers no benefits at all for ssd's or anything else for that matter.the speeds of ssd's make any "performance gains" meme's
You get ZERO fault tolerance,parity.Thus no real reason to use it in this case.
>>
>>51847565
>>51847509
>>51847301
you were wrong the first time you posted it.
>>
are micro atx/ mini itx builds still a thing?

I've been wanting a build a smaller computer but after recently looking up the 1150 socket micro/mini boards there is like shit to choose from
>>
>>51847587
Funky shit was going on with shit.I posted once but it posted twice more
And its not wrong.
RAID0 is fucking retarded in any use beyond the 80's.
>>
to anyone whose built a custom looop, are silver kill coils used for both algae prevention and as a anti-corrosive or just one of those?
>>
whats a good data usage monitoring tool for linux?

I want to see how my home desktop use stacks up to a mobile plan, purely out of curiosity.
>>
>>51847660
algae

use distilled water

you can also use a UV light cathode, give a cool look to the computer mayber
>>
>>51847723
vnstat+vnstat webui
>>
>>51847733
excellent, thanks anon
>>
My pc is overheating. Should i add a lateral fan that blow in the case the air even if the cpu fan is parallel to the fan that i want to add?
>>
>>51847343
Is there anyone who can help with this?
>>
>>51847760
what is overheating, CPU I guess?

need to diagnose the root cause, is it being maxed out all the time, is the contact between heatsink/cpu bad. Lots of stuff to look at
>>
>>51847343
>>51847780
>
parseFloat(document.getElementById('credits'))

you're trying to parse an element, which results to NaN, which is not <= 0.

why don't you just step through your code, you could have easily spotted that.
>>
>>51847807
Then how do I call upon the value within the span?

>im really new to this
>>
>>51847834
exactly the same way you set it one line below.
>>
>>51847178

I didn't ask for your opinion faggot. I want big ssds just to pies you off.
>>
Whats your thought on Orbot /g/?
>>
>>51843268
best antivirus?
inb4 common sense 2017
>>
>>51847793
I think that it's the gpu. I have a quadro k620 and the fan is shitty
>>
>>51847850
Enjoy losing all your shit when it dies in 2 years unannounced.Good luck only using 75% of it to keep youre maximum performance.
>>
>>51847880
>when it dies in 2 years
this isn't 2010 anymore, kid
>>
>>51847848
you dont need to parseFloat something within a span?
>>
>>51847857
linux
>>
>>51847913
no thank you, i need a os that's actually useful for work
>>
File: wellwhatisit..png (447 KB, 1900x778) Image search: [Google]
wellwhatisit..png
447 KB, 1900x778
Didn't see any other threads that would fit this question. Is this a good laptop for computer science?
>>
>>51847895
please starting to think.

cred = parseFloat(document.getElementById('credits').innerHTML)

parse the actual value inside your credits element, not the element itself.

besides that using innerHTML is a shitty way anyway.
For now it's okay I guess, you'll learn better ways later.
>>
>>51847892
>filling ssd to the brim with pron
its 2015 and the basic rules still apply
>>
Still wanting to know, how does assembly code vary between different compilers?
>>
>>51847933
>1366x768
nope
>>
>>51847926
>implying your work computer isn't provided with an av by it
>further implying that you do actually productive things on your home pc

linux aint perfect but it's come a long ways since the days of the winmodem
>>
>>51847968
>implying your work computer isn't provided with an av by it
yeah it isn't cause it's my personal laptop, that i use for work
linux is shit for work
>>
>>51847942
Thanks for helping me man
This is all still a bit confusing to me but ill get better
>>
>>51847994
>for work
So you work at microsoft hq?
>>
>>51848000
>mfw anon did anon's homework
>>
>>51848006
i study at a university and have schoolwork to do, buddy. also print quality looks like dicks while printing from linux
>>
>>51847994
>using a personal laptop instead of getting a company provided one
your job suck m8y
>>
>>51848020
im very appreciative
>>
>>51847942
How do I un-retard myself?
>>
>>51843268
Video sauce?
>>
best antivirus for windows?
>inb4 linux
>inb4 common sense
>>
just found £100 to spend on useless tech, give me options /g/, most voted for will be baught, must be below £100
>>
I got a POS Acer ax1700 that I got from goodwill for about $10.

I was considering:
1)Buying an Intel Core2 QUAD, replacing the CPU and adding an used GFX card, probably a low profile, for about $150 total.

2)Buying a Dell Precision T3500 from ebay and adding NVidia GeForce 750 Ti for about $300 total.

The point of this is a HTPC, which will be a emulator box and a 1080p 60fps youtube machine. but of course if it can play some demading games that would be a bonus.
>>
>>51848244
http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Dragon-Fenrir-Wolfdragon-Medium/dp/B015OZ0XN4/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450048084&sr=1-5&keywords=dragon
>>
>>51848354

entry number one is here!
>>
>>51848185
I use MSE + Common Sense
No problems so far.

I've used Avast and Malwarebytes, both good
>>
on irc is there a way to hide action messages from ignored user or if not get rid of all action messages altogether
>>
>>51847948
Bump
>>
>>51848874
>implying every irc client is the same
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I've got a toshiba satellite C855 that makes a really loud grinding noise whenever the fan starts running. I've cleaned, dusted and removed any visible obstruction but it still grinds. Anything else I as an amateur can do or should I take it to a pro?
>>
>>51849251
take it out, hose it down with some wd40, wipe off, and profit?
>>
File: 1414943544035.jpg (48 KB, 636x571) Image search: [Google]
1414943544035.jpg
48 KB, 636x571
>>51849246
tell me the way on any client sempai really
>>
>>51849300
There is no + mode you can set to do this.You'd have to do it within your client.
>>
>>51849363
I'm using hexchat but I wouldnt mind using something else if there's a way to get rid of action sentences
>>
>>51847253
yes you will
>>
File: Rei Blush.jpg (99 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Rei Blush.jpg
99 KB, 800x600
Hey, SQT dumb ass here.
I was wondering if my i5 3570k at 4.2ghz would be a bottleneck for my gpus if I have 2 r9 390s running crossfire.
>>
How come when I set "Asus Optimal" in my BIOS and then try small FFTs in Prime95 it INSTANTLY jumps up to 100 degrees? On normal settings it stays reasonable temperatures, even with turbo mode enabled, so what is it trying to do in "optimal" mode that is heating it up so fast? Is it a bug in temp detection or something? Never seen such a thing, I'd suspect my heatsink is improperly installed but it cools down just as fast when the test is stopped.
>>
>>51849693
>using my coputer to max via prime95
>temps go up
>complain
>>
>>51849706
I expect the temps to go up, but not that high or that fast. Normally it only goes up to lower mid 70s at most, not all the way up to 100.
>>
>>51849573
KEKOLD
U
C
K
O
L
D
>>
When I try to joint he #android-dev irc it says [19:28] == #android-dev Cannot join channel (+r) - you need to be identified with services

Why ;-;
>>
What is a good USB hub for a reasonable price? Was looking at http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FR795WA is that will work? Don't want my USB hard drives to disconnect constantly.
>>
>>51843268
does marianas web exist?
>>
I'm changing mobo from an h170 chipset to a z170 chipset. I'm currently running windows 8.1. Some sources are saying I'll be able to make the swap without formatting my main drive and reinstalling windows, are they right? My gut says they're wrong, but windows 8.1 is supposed to be pretty good at hardware changes now.

Thoughts?
>>
File: 1448342055662.jpg (614 KB, 2560x1443) Image search: [Google]
1448342055662.jpg
614 KB, 2560x1443
which is better for a laptop,
dual core @2.5GHz (3mb cache) or quad core @3.2GHz (4mb cache)
>>
>>51850016
Whats the price difference
>>
>>51849780
https://superuser.com/questions/106965/how-do-i-identify-with-services-on-irc
>>
>>51850078
£30
>>
File: GT.gif (212 KB, 300x70) Image search: [Google]
GT.gif
212 KB, 300x70
Is there any fucking logic behind setting up 3 languages in google translate(browser)???
>>
>>51850091
Get the 3.2
>>
File: 955bdaa52a0555d8e72d6aa83eadd8b7.jpg (528 KB, 1280x1811) Image search: [Google]
955bdaa52a0555d8e72d6aa83eadd8b7.jpg
528 KB, 1280x1811
I've got a HPw1907 monitor that stays on for about seven minutes then goes off claiming there's no input signal.
Anything I can do about this?
>>
concommand.Add("mine", function( ply, cmd, args, argStr )
local isdown = false
hook.Add("Think","MouseSpam",function() if isdown then RunConsoleCommand("-attack") else RunConsoleCommand("+attack") end isdown = !isdown end)
end);

So i'm trying to figure out how I can add a command like "mine stop" to stop this scripts execution. Anyone know how?
>>
>>51850164
(mine==[] )
>>
>>51849573
p-pls respond
>>
>>51850206
What the fuck is that question. CPU and GPU are not connected like RAM.

It does't fucking matter
>>
Is there any downsides to enabling fast boot in bios & is it worth using?
>>
>>51850228
It wont boot every startup program
>>
>>51850228
All it does is skip the inital "is everything there does it work" sequence.
For example,testing all of your ram.
Disable it and save 3-5 seconds on your bootup
>>
Would I need to install another library to make a graph like this in python?
>>
>>51850301
atleast an svg lib
>>
File: 1446933390165.gif (842 KB, 280x224) Image search: [Google]
1446933390165.gif
842 KB, 280x224
Rooting a second-hand Galaxy Note 4. Will flashing a new rom/removing the TouchWiz layer kill the stylus functionality?
>>
>>51850225
LOL
>>
>>51850192
Could you explain?
>>
What's a good computer for playing LoL and Dark Souls 2 at decent gfx? (spoiler: it's not for me but for a family member)

I've managed to arrange these two builds but I'm pretty sure they both suck:

HD 8400 radeon
AMD ATHLON 5150 Kabini
8GB 1600MHZ kingston hyperX fury
1TB hitachi HDD
500W PSU (yp-212)
Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H motherboard
MG-605 eagle warrior

for $230 usd

OR

R7 240 Radeon
4GB 1333MHZ kingston
AMD A4 4000
750GB seagate HDD
ACKTECK Blazer 600W PSU
Thermaltake V18001 case
Asrock Fm2a58m

for $300 usd

my budget is around $200-250 USD by the way
>>
>>51850445
mine is equal to nothing.

Your program, because of your programming skills will just freeze., And it will stop
>>
>>51850225
you dumb nigger
>>
>>51850494

Yeah, you are right. They are working like RAM.
So answer is.. Find CPU and GPU with same speed (MHZ)
>>
>>51850446
That is cheap desu..DO you really need HDD? Maybe you should buy 60gb SSD for around 30e(which is around maybe 20-25$$) and stick with old HDD..And have some extra money for some other CPU
>>
>>51850561
Yes, I'm building this from the ground up.
>>
>>51849896
Plz respond
>>
>>51849896
>>51850596
You wont know till you do it.
Windows 8 preinstalls have the serial located on a ram chip on your mobo.You cant get it othrwise. Cpu would defiantly change the key you're generating

You wont know till you do it
>>
File: 1449619163072.gif (1015 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
1449619163072.gif
1015 KB, 500x271
I have a laptop that originally had Windows 8.1 installed when purchased, but I downgraded to Windows 10 because I'm retarded, is it possible to do a full factory reset so it returns to how it was out of the box? The latest win10 update officially makes it the worst OS I have ever used, so I want to go back but have had it installed for more than a month.

Alternatively, is there any way to stop the fucking thing from ruining my headphone drivers? I've gone to the realtek website and installed their drivers, and my headphones work properly for a little while but in task manager a 'driver installer' repeatedly shows up and changes my headphone drivers to speakers, turning the sound quality to absolute shit.
>>
>>51843268
Holy shit OP's pic related that reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5tIDyg73k
>>
/g/, due to job requirements, I need to have a windows OS in my machine. What version is the least bad?
>>
>>51850667
>>
Should I uninstall chipset drivers and install Windows 10 versions after an upgrade from Windows 7 to 10?
>>
>>51850678
seconded
>>
>>51850667
Install linux with windows 7 skin
>>
I want to build my son a rig, and use his 27" lcd tv as monitor. Is this stupid? Me no know
>>
>>51850794
not really, it's mostly games and videos he'll be using it for, a tv will do just fine
>>
>>51850822
if* it's
>>
>>51850636
It wasn't a preinstalled windows for what that's worth and the only parts being changed are the mobo and CPU cooler. Guess I'll make a backup and give it a go.
>>
>>51850851
cpu cooler has no digital parts.
i mean install it and boot
if it boots windows didnt fuck you over
if it dosent boot.time to reinstall
>>
>>51848137
>>51846615

Also wondering what the webm is. Anybody have info on the source?
>>
>>51850822
Bless you anon...yeah mainly light gaming, youtube, and for school
>>
>>51850684
>not doing a fresh install

are you ok??
>>
>>51850896
The CPU cooler part was just to illustrate the point. I'm pretty sure it won't brick my machine so, I'll give it a go today, thanks for your help.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-13-20-58-22.png (634 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-13-20-58-22.png
634 KB, 1080x1920
Should I buy this lads?
>>
I got myself an Asus laptop that came preinstalled with windows 8. After some struggling with it, I managed to do a clean install of windows 7, but I feel that performance has dropped significantly.

What could it be?
>>
I just did a fresh install of W7 on my PC for the first time in five years. Before, I had Windows Update turned off and just never bothered with it. Now, I'm wondering if I even need to install all this shit. Is any of it worth installing?
>>
File: sfF.png (2 KB, 339x64) Image search: [Google]
sfF.png
2 KB, 339x64
>Speccy shows me this

what does it mean?
>>
>>51851005
placebo
>>
Ok /g/ I'm retarded I know save your breath. Last year I started building a desktop and I decided to buy the peices little by little (big mistake I know). I did it in this order:
Gpu
Case
Psu
Mobo
Liquid cooling system
Cpu and hard drive comming soon.
Me being the little inpatient brat I am I decided to put everything I have so far (did this a couple months ago). I'm starting to worry that the peices that I have bought (even though I haven't done anything with them) mite not work when I finally finish. Any thoughts? Also, my liquid cooling system came with thermal paste on it but I accidently wiped some off. Should I buy and add some?
>>
is it a bad idea to buy smartphones with broken screens and fixing them, then reselling them for twice I bought them? seems easy enough to learn how to do it.
>>
File: 1449581811970.jpg (4 MB, 1497x5840) Image search: [Google]
1449581811970.jpg
4 MB, 1497x5840
Is a squarish JPG bigger or smaller than a really long one?

I'm trying to compile a list like this, only with even more stuff, but it's already coming close to the filesize limit.
>>
>>51851061
>might not work
There is little reason to believe this.Unless you touch it every day without de-static'ing your self.
Get some compressed air before you finally boot it up and clear the case out.
>Should I buy and add some?
Yes,artic silver.
>>
>>51851061
Post the parts list, both current and planned. And yes, you'll need new thermal paste.

Also, you're retarded.
>>
>>51851074
Thats how all the resellers do it.You seem them advert online to buy your phones.
>>
>>51851081
Change the dpi and then change export options
>>
>>51851107
I have so far:
Gtx 970
Gigabyte Z97x-gaming 5
2x8 rip jaw x
Nzxt S340
Corsaire cx750
Corsaire h60
What I am getting:
I7 (not sure which one yet)
1TB western digital (not sure on the coulour)
It's my first build so I really have my fingers crossed
>>
>>51851097
Thanks that's reassuring
>>
>Installed Windows 10
>Playing music
>Audio randomly cuts off.
>Check my devices everything is connected.
>Restart my computer, sounds works again.

Tried google, can't find solution to problem.
>>
>>51851163
Check your wattage is ample, check you have the right CPU/socket, check the ram is compatible with the board. If that's ok, you should be fine.
Also 970 is a turd price/performance wise.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.