[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Users Missing Out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13
File: error-dialog.png (11 KB, 301x196) Image search: [Google]
error-dialog.png
11 KB, 301x196
So what are linux users missing out on by using linux as a daily driver over windows?

Well for one, the satisfaction of uninstalling software. Debloating a Windows machine and systematically removing all the annoying software and knowing its gone for good and not wasting space / disabling Windows features is an incredibly fun experience, it feels like you have power over your computer instead of your computer having power over you.

I bet a Linux users don't even remove any packages once they're installed, they just update or leave them there. Most Linux installations are probably MORE bloated that a stock windows install even, as a result of the wide range of software packed into the install of popular distros, along with the installation guide and wiki's promoting mass installing of software from a package manager.

Users may think they are only typing out 5 or 10 commands on the command line, but i gaurentee that installing software with a package manager makes you totally forget about the space it takes up. It can only take 10 minutes to get 10 programs installed on Linux. Without any dialog boxes or GUI to click accept on, and see how much space the new software will take up, Linux users are unknowingly bloating their installs severely.

Also there are drive letters in Windows, a feature that can never be truly replicated in the linux kernel or any file systems it may have.
>>
File: 0outof10.jpg (9 KB, 279x267) Image search: [Google]
0outof10.jpg
9 KB, 279x267
u did it
>>
Linux users can autoremove anything that is not used anymore. What you are mentioning is worse on Windows than Linux. Is this just bait? I imagined you would mention something real, like the access to gaymen that Windows have or the satisfaction of removing viruses.
>>
>>51836886
Is this a new copypasta?
>>
>>51836886
Proof-read next time.
>>
>>51836917
Autoremove? Do tell. You can make a program scan for un-used software and just poof its gone?
>>
>>51836917
OP here, I didnt mention games because Linux has games now (steam), and also viruses are not part of the typical user experience or not supposed to be anyway. According to the friendly linux thread on this forum, linux has viruses as well. So they would have to be removed in the same fashion i'd think.
>>
>>51836941
See windows doesn't manage the removal of software, it relies on the software providing an uninstaller

A large portion of the time, these installer do not remove the software correctly, they leave registry settings, files etc.

Anything installed via repository or via a package manager on linux is removed as a function of the packet manager, and isn't relying on some flakey uninstaller.

All linux has to do is look at the manifest for said package and reverse what it did to install, it's a much cleaner and straight forward approach
>>
>>51836886
> is a new pasta
> is a gud bait
>>
You have a point there. I never uninstall anything that I don't really use anymore, and I've noticed that removing packages using basic commands sometimes doesn't remove all the dependencies that were installed alongside of them but don't really care since my HDD is so big. I've been running Linux distros exclusively since 2008 but there are still many things that I haven't learned how to do in the Linux world that I know how to do with my eyes closed on Windows.
>>
>>51836886
>apt-cache autoremove
or
>pacman -Rsn $(pacman -Qdtq)
>>
>>51836962
>steam
>using third party software for games
>>
>>51836886
Your bullshit is bullshit, but you raise an interesting point with your picture.

Linux error messages are obfuscated vague garbage that tell you nothing about how to fix the problem and sometimes don't even tell you that anything happened (Ubuntu installer silent fails).

Users should not have to look up an error log to KNOW at all that an error occurred. They should know the moment it occurs.
>>
File: 1367989877487.gif (142 KB, 312x404) Image search: [Google]
1367989877487.gif
142 KB, 312x404
>mfw running a $10/year VM on 30MB of RAM
>"Linux is more bloated than Windows"
>>
>>51837302
>$10/year VM
Where?
>>
>>51837290
I'd rather all errors be silent, that way they don't get in my way while i'm working
>>
>>51836886
>Linux Users Missing Out?
Your pic very related. How is it acceptable at all for drives to not fucking mount by themselves out of the box? You literally need to create and edit files to get the fucking hard drives to even get detected properly
>>
>>51837386
Not OP but this is one of the reasons I don't use Linux as a desktop.

Out of the box Xubuntu doesn't mount other hard disks on startup, and the permissions in fstab have to be configured correctly to make it behave correctly. One of the annoyance is that if I don't configure fstab permissions correctly, deleting files in the file manager will not cause the files to go to the trashbin, but pops up a prompt asking me if I want to permanently delete the files.
>>
>>51837313
http://www.mycustomhosting.net/
>>
>>51836886
A really slim windows is what? 25 Gb?
A really bloated linux is like 8 Gb.
And removing things is as easy as deleting the files but windows requires several tools to do get rid of software.
(Assuming the uninstall lies)
Installing software is a lot easier and you don't get that much unnecessary junk bundled with applications.

So yea. We are missing out
>>
>>51837482
>tfw all that works for me automagically with a debian netinstall and a gnome apt-get

feels good man.

>inb4 lambasting gnome

fuck you guys, i like it.
>>
>>51837386
Stop using arch if you don't want to configure things.
>>
>>51837482
People unironically use the trash bin?
I've not used it in 2 years on Windows. I set the delete key to perm delete files on every installation. It's literally useless.
>>
windows sucks but they are missing out on iphone app developing w/xcode...i have a small partition for arch tho that i like to play with and see just how perfectly i can customize everything i want
>>
>>51837025
Not him, but I do have a question.

I have some basic experience in Slackware, which doesn't have a package manager and expects you to compile from source or nowadays run rpms I think.

If something is installed from source and not package manager, how would autoremove work? Does source create a manifest as well, making it uninstall the same as through a package manager?
>>
File: windows-10-installation-errors.png (7 KB, 714x557) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-installation-errors.png
7 KB, 714x557
>>51837290
You mean like this?
>>
>>51837659
I restore files from trash bin every so often.
I got the trash bin pinned to Windows 10 and Xubuntu(in a VM) task bars, so emptying it is just a right-click and "empty".
>>
File: 1407078423448.jpg (11 KB, 175x175) Image search: [Google]
1407078423448.jpg
11 KB, 175x175
>>51837784
>>
File: windows.png (52 KB, 1175x372) Image search: [Google]
windows.png
52 KB, 1175x372
hi

just here to post my used space

sda4 is a windows 10 installation with deluge torrent client, firefox and audacity installed, with some directx, c and java SDK libs

sda5 is arch linux with every program I use on the daily, 705 packages
>>
File: mbew.webm (394 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
mbew.webm
394 KB, 540x360
>>51837784
>>
>>51837784
winnigers btfo
>>
>>51837784
At least it says something happened. Ubuntu has silent failure with no prompt the install just locks up at 99%, how is the windows version worse?
>>
>>51836886
YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT YOU CAN'T PLAY SHOOTAN GAMES ON THAT
>>
>>51837784
Actually, Linux could use something akin to the BSOD. When hardware fucks up and you get a colonel panic, all you get is a frozen screen and not much else. At least BSODs are somewhat descriptive.
>>
>>51838398
You usually get a kernel trace.
>>
They are missing out on that feeling of lounging in a chair with a purring cat on their lap, sipping coffee and reading this thread on a Lumia, while its raining outside on a Sunday morning.
>>
>>51837025
>packet manager

ebin
>>
File: 1446782135398.jpg (33 KB, 960x606) Image search: [Google]
1446782135398.jpg
33 KB, 960x606
>>51836886
>the satisfaction of uninstalling software
>implying you can't uninstall packages with a package manager

>Most Linux installations are probably MORE bloated that a stock windows install even
1. They aren't
2. That's why you should install Arch or Gentoo

>Without any dialog boxes or GUI to click accept on
>implying annoying dialog boxes are good
>implying package managers aren't one of the greatest things about GNU/Linux

Just stay with Windows, you're clearly too dumb for a GNU/Linux distribution.

Also it's GNU/Linux.
>>
File: gtfo.gif (691 KB, 337x268) Image search: [Google]
gtfo.gif
691 KB, 337x268
>>51838128
From this post, I know you never have used Linux at all. Please Shut the fuck up and don't form an opinion until you have used a distro. I recommend Ubuntu or openSuSE as a beginners distro, but if you're willing you can go straight to Gentoo and Arch. When you've encounterd a menial problem, then you can post on the /g/ board again and display your autism for the everybody else here to know. Thank you and go fuck yourself.
>>
File: ken kutaragi.jpg (213 KB, 463x477) Image search: [Google]
ken kutaragi.jpg
213 KB, 463x477
>>51839920
>>Tfw you can uninstall all that bloat on your linux distro in 5 min compared to uninstalling and cleaning registries and shit on windows
>>
>>51837025
>See windows doesn't manage the removal of software, it relies on the software providing an uninstaller
Actually *nix used to be like that.

More than twenty years ago. That's how out of date Windows is.
>>
>>51840003
Also this. You can't even completely debloat Windows. You can uninstall literally everything on a Linux distro though.
>>
>>51836886
Gr8 b8 m8.i r8 8/8
>>
>>51840003
Nope, there is no way you can do that in 5 minutes. If you can post a webm of you doing it.
>>
>>51840117
I didn't literally mean 5 minutes. I'm just saying it takes way less time to uninstall software on Linux than on Windows
>>
>>51836886
Cool meme,pajeet. Do you want it to be displayed on our site.
>>
File: 11f.gif (584 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
11f.gif
584 KB, 480x270
>>51837784
>>
>>51836886
>the only apt-get command I learned is install
3/10
>>
File: 1417422168142.png (93 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
1417422168142.png
93 KB, 295x221
>>51836962
Yes Linux has viruses, but you need to be an incredibly dense retard to actually fall for one.

>>51837482
I don't get it.
You're annoyed that you have to add a single line to a config file every time you reinstall Linux or are you annoyed that you have to actually type that one line correctly?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.