[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the consensus on freesync/g-sync? Are they worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: freesync.png (129 KB, 1023x868) Image search: [Google]
freesync.png
129 KB, 1023x868
So what's the consensus on freesync/g-sync? Are they worth it?

If so, which one is better?
>>
freesync support bit less refresh rates but there is no cost to the manufacturers and its an openstandard.

gsync supports bit more refresh rates but there is a huge cost to the manufacturers (which is passed down to you) and its a proprietary.

If you have nothing, go for freesync. Otherwise, choose depending on what your GPU will be and which company you want to support (morally and financially).
>>
Adaptive sync could be extremely helpful in mobile devices to reduce power usage. The benefit to desktops is basically just smoother playback which is nice as long as it doesn't jack the price up by $200
>>
Intel has given their support for freesync (though iirc right now none of their products support it) thus inherently gsync is going to lose as Intel is bigger than both AMD and Nvidia combined.
>>
>>51824499
Freesync is crap because Nvidia paid me to say so.
>>
Is it worth it to get a 144hz monitor that doesn't have freesync/g-sync? I'm worried about choppiness at those higher framerates.
>>
honestly, i'm starting to think it is best just to live with the tearing and play at ~144fps with 144hz.
>>
>>51824499
Depends on how much you can stand screen tearing or v-sync input lag and stutters.

I can't support either and it's been my peeve for years until variable refresh rate first came out. I bought a g-sync monitor as soon as they became available and I'm never going back to static refresh again.
Now I'm waiting (forever) for TVs to also adopt variable refresh rate standards so that I can game comfortably on my couch, emulators and all.
>>
>>51825522

AMD is working on freesync over HDMI, so that opens up a world of options should it be supported by panel manufacturers.
>>
>>51824499
This might be confirmation bias, but when I was looking at which monitor to buy I notice that G-snyc seems to have higher OC'd refresh rates, much higher on average then any comparable freesnyc monitor.
>>
>>51824499
freesync is a crappy power saving function for laptops, gsync works as advertised. they're not the same thing at all.
>>
>>51827672
G-sycn does have higher refresh rates, but it suffers from diminishing returns.
>>
>>51825695
I fucking hope so m8.
>>
>>51828184
>I have absolutely no idea about what I'm talking about or how monitors work
>>
>>51828287
it's ok, you'll figure it out some day.

freesync is simply inferior. you guys only like it because you're against proprietary solutions.
>>
>>51824771
honest shill is best shill
>>
>>51828346
explain how it's inferior.
>>
>>51828346
Nigga, I use G-Sync and I know both use the same principle. Now there might be slight QC differences but both systems are basically the same thing.

Graphics card outputs full frame -> monitor displays full frame with appropriate overdrive compensation
>>
>>51824499
They are worth it. Freesync is better because:
- Open standard (can work with any brand card, works with intel and amd already)
- Much higher operating range (not yet matched by freesync monitors though)
- Less expensive components required to make a freesync monitor
>>
>>51824499
G-Sync is better because it's proprietary and supported by a professional company. Freesync is unstable, half-baked trash like most freetard projects. And of course it doesn't work with Nvidia GPUs, and only a moron would have bought AMD any time in the past five years.
>>
>>51824499
>>51824499
G-Sync IS better, hands down.

BUT, you get fucked over for it. Like most things Nvidia does, it's better than the competition but you need to pay out the ass for it.

Naturally because I'm a fag I went with G-Sync
>>
>>51828369
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/04/09/g-sync-or-freesync-amd-nvidia/
>>
>>51828497

That is a whole lotta words for what boils down to "we say gsync is better because nu-huh!".
>>
>>51824499
It's great and will hopefully be standard for every monitor eventually
...but of course Nvidia rather wants $150 per monitor for nothing than push an open standard
>>
>>51828497
Seriously?
They don't even know what they're talking about, they can't explain why it's better in technical terms. But article is not really wrong, it's just outdated.

Ghosting and other shit wasn't a freesync fault, monitor manufacturers just fucked up firmware, freesync update disabled Overdrive and other enhancements, one simple update and it was fixed.
Low framerate tearing was fixed in Crimson, it now doubles framerate just like G-Sync does. etc

Interestingly they don't talk about G-Sync added input lag.
>>
>>51828474
>both literary do the same thing
>the more expensive one, which i bought, is definitely a lot better though
>>
>>51824499
Either is largely just reduces input lag that vsync can cause. Alternatively stable games with good frame rates or good hardware does more, which you can buy if you don't spend a stupid amount on some gsync monitor.

Seriously I know someone with one and the thing cost more than all 3 of mine together and looks half as good.

I notice color and monitor quality a lot quicker than this.

This tech needs to mature first in my opinion.
>>
>>51828589
>Nvidia rather wants $150 per monitor for nothing than push an open standard

It's not "for nothing", it's for a better product. Nvidia charge a premium for all their products because they ARE better than the alternatives. Welcome to capitalism, fuccboi.
>>
>>51828647
>a drm pcb that adds input lag makes it a better product
>>
>>51828647
Then why is the 970 more than a 390.
>>
>>51828497
That was a monitor fault dipshit. G-Sync monitors have a more restricted QC approval from Nvidia and you pay much more for it.
It's up to you to not be a retard and buy a monitor without reading reviews.
>>
File: 1080p.png (127 KB, 1299x3103) Image search: [Google]
1080p.png
127 KB, 1299x3103
>>51828717
Because it offers better performance whilst using half the power? Did you fall for the ebin 3.5 meme, retard?
>>
>>51828754
>ultra
>those results
pure lies, this game drops to 40s all the time. Bethesda fucked up, then nVidia GodRays put the final nail in the coffin.
Game looks like shit and runs like ass on everything, even with GodRays disabled.
>>
File: 1380666736396.jpg (635 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
1380666736396.jpg
635 KB, 3008x2000
>>51828647
>Nvidia charge a premium for all their products because they ARE better than the alternatives
this is what retarded children actually believe
>>
>>51828622
Nah, G-Sync offers a wider range or refresh rates, less input lag and actually has standards before being implemented.

A manufacturer can just slap freesync on their product, have it's range be between 35-75hz and call it a day
>>
>>51828647
>It's not "for nothing", it's for a better product.
It's for a freaking NVidia approval procedure. If you care to read a review of the monitor you're buying, those 150$ are for nothing.
>>
>>51828795
>this game drops to 40s all the time.

Do you have an i5 CPU? It runs substantially better on i7.
>>
>>51828795
>>51828832

For whatever reason it is shadows that KILL performance. Most likely the shadows are all running on a single thread so they are crippling all but the highest clocked cpus.
>>
Intel picked up freesync, it's over g-sync is finished.

For real though, it's a big deal. Even HDMI is being worked on so practically every display will support freesync.
>>
>>51828846
that's exactly it
fucking Oblivion is a CPU bottleneck nowadays still due to the poor implementation of AI and the lack of multithreading

I have a rig that can get a solid 60fps at 1440p on GTA V and The Witcher 3 on high/ultra settings yet can't maintain 1080p/60 for Oblivion or Crysis
>>
>>51828795
Overexaggeration, it runs fine for me and hasn't dipped yet. Playing ultra (except godrays at low, but I didn't notice a difference from when I had that at ultra, too) at 2560*1440 with a 980Ti and 6700K.
>>
File: crysis 3 moar coars.png (54 KB, 648x808) Image search: [Google]
crysis 3 moar coars.png
54 KB, 648x808
>>51828898

To be fair crysis 3 (not so much for 1 and 2) scales with as many resources as you can throw at it. It still prefers certain types of gpus over others, but cpu wise more is better.
Cryengine running on the likes of DX12/vulkan would be eye-watering.
>>
>>51828795
>I say this, so documented evidence doesn't count! :)

Nah, fuck off retard.
>>
>>51828969
I know
a Cryengine 3 remake of Crysis would make my dick grow 3 sizes
>>
>>51828754
You need to find better benches tard.

390 and 970 are about on par at 1080, above that 390 is better.

3.5 is fine for now while they lied to consumers it makes little difference to most people. However to modders and future games its going to age like milk.

Enjoy paying more for something inferior fanboy.
>>
File: JC3-1080p-Very-High.png (34 KB, 1129x691) Image search: [Google]
JC3-1080p-Very-High.png
34 KB, 1129x691
>>51830675
>These benchmarks don't say what I want them to say, so they don't count!

And you have the nerve to call somebody else a fanboy, you fucking retard.

>B-b-but the 390 is better on paper!

Have fun playing your with your paper, faggot.
>>
File: 1445180785126.jpg (1 MB, 3903x3132) Image search: [Google]
1445180785126.jpg
1 MB, 3903x3132
>>51830768

Don't have one chart, have six.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.