[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tomorrow they first test the Wendelstein 7-X. It is (one of)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: zoom.jpg (318 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
zoom.jpg
318 KB, 800x533
Tomorrow they first test the Wendelstein 7-X. It is (one of) the biggest fusion reactors on the planet.
>What are your hopes for the test?
>What are your predictions for the test?
>>
>>51772557
collapses on itself and it opens a blackhole in the spacetime
>>
>>51772557
>What are your hopes for the test?
What the fuck do you think people are hoping for?
Stable, reproducible nuclear fusion.

Some sort of software or mechanical failure that aborts the test and costs millions/takes months to fix.
>>
>>51772619
>Stable, reproducible nuclear fusion.
No. Are you stupid or just uninformed?
>>
>>51772557
hope for the best, expect the worst. as always.
>>
this is a pathfinder for ITER. Stellarators / tokamak's are far from practical fusion. There is some progress, but slow. chances are the test will just be an incremental thing.
>>
>hopes
It works and we can study fusion more

>fears
It spirals out of control and muh-environmentalists create a shitstorm
>>
>>51772640
Explain
>>
>>51772727
It wont work so that peak oil can continue extracting wealth from humanity till they can invest more in the running of these new forms of energy.
>>
>>51772727
the worst thing that could happen is that the whole thing melts and a billion euros is lost. they dont, yet, use radioactive material, so there are no enviromental risks except a big hole in the ground.
>>
I don't give a fuck tbqh. As long as electricity gets cheaper, and the infrastructure stays as stable as it is or gets better, anything is okay by me.
>>
>>51772695
Anon this is meant to kick ITER in the nuts if it works, it's a totally different design.

so the problem with putting plasma in a donut is that the magnetic field in the center is stronger than at the outside. The solution to this is to twist the plasma. Tokamaks add this twist by inducing currents into the plasma, which cannot be done continously and is fraught with difficulty.

Stellarators add this twist by physically twisting the damn thing

Tokamak!=stellarator
>>
Shit's gonna blow like a muslim.
>>
File: 1447900160499.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1447900160499.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
>>51772640
>>
Dumb question, but isn't hydrogen power basically nuclear fusion? I presume the energy comes from fusing hydrogen and oxygen together?
>>
>>51772557
>hopes
nuclear weapons

>fears
ISIS
>>
>>51773455
Covalent bonding is way different than creating a new element
>>
>>51773455
neclear fusion would be putting hydrogen in and getting helium out.
hydrogen power is based on exess power generated from BONDING hydrogen and oxygen.
>>
I have no clue about any of this so I can't offer any worthwhile post but I can tell you that the design of this reminds me of Event Horizon tier shit.
>>
>>51772557
Allahu akbar
>>
>>51772557
>Hopes

We prove Stellarator design is the future. They do their full 30 minute test and Fusion power fucking finally takes a tiny step towards becoming a real thing that will actually be used for power generation within my lifetime.

>Predictions
Something will go wrong at the last minute. Something completely underwhelming and uninteresting but it will delay the test for another year or so.

Side note: If Stellarator design really is the future are we expecting any fuck ups due to imperfect construction (because Stellarators are fucking complicated to design and build)
>>
>>51772557
hope that they succeed
something will pop and repairs will took months at best
>>
>>51772557
It will probably force them to upgrade to

Wendelstein 10 and then send all its data to the government.
>>
>>51772557
it'd be hilarious if it just flat out worked like no biggie and we suddenly had nuclear fusion.
>>
>>51772557
Big Bang 2.0
>>
>>51772557
>Wendelstein 7-X
This thing looks like the biggest cluster fuck of machinery that I have ever seen.
>>
File: VmEVEaH.png (58 KB, 507x537) Image search: [Google]
VmEVEaH.png
58 KB, 507x537
>>51772557

I hope it blows up.
>>
>>51776145
>>
It's just a plasma containment test, there is no fusion going on.
>>
>>51772840
You clearly have no clue what fusion is.
>>
>>51772579
That's not how physics works...

There isn't enough matter to create a black hole in the first place.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.