[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone downgraded from a smartphone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 15
File: $_1.JPG.jpg (19 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
$_1.JPG.jpg
19 KB, 400x300
I am thinking about getting a traditional celluar phone. Just to make my life simpler and have less distractions. The only thing I am really going to miss is drivedroid and duolingo. And possibly instagram because of all the cute azn sloots I follow (even though I can always check their profiles on my computer). How long did it take you to get used to it?
>>
>>51725404
I actually have friends, so a dumbphone is not an option. I want to communicate in real time, and not just via calls.
>>
>>51725404
Not having full qwerty makes texting a bitch, and you can't get picture messages

>Do you like my new lingerie, anon?
Picture related.
>>
>>51725441
You realize you can text on a Nokia 3310 right?
>>
>>51725444
>Not having full qwerty makes texting a bitch

Get good at T9 and you'll type faster than on a qwerty keyboard.
>>
>>51725441
Calls are as real-time as it gets you idiot…
>>
>>51725467
>green bubbles
>>
File: HTB1Z53nFVXXXXbWaXXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg (71 KB, 760x507) Image search: [Google]
HTB1Z53nFVXXXXbWaXXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg
71 KB, 760x507
Also. Please post kawaii cellphones
>>
I would never downgrade to a non-smartphone. If you have any sort of half decent job there's no point.

Besides, I'm way too used to all the benefits and useful features of having a computer in my pocket all the time to ever go back.
>>
>>51725404
I didn't actually downgrade from a smarphone but my previous phone broke and I've been using an old nokia lumia for about a month now, waiting for my replacement (thanks T-mobile)

my experience has been terrible so far:
>can't shitpost on 4chin/play dumb games in toilet
>if I want to look up something on the internets quickly I HAVE to turn on my pc
>can't show meme pictures to friends
>the camera flat out sucks so any picture I take is pixelated as fuck
>"why don't you have a snapchat, anon?"
>no useful applications
and that's just a lesser non-android smartphone

sometimes I kinda miss my se w200i though
>>
I have an LG G3 and it's pretty shit. I'm gonna give it one last shot. I'm gonna wait for 6.0, Lollipop is total shit and just wrecked the family. So in the mean time ima ask my sister for her old iPhone 5s since she just upgraded to a 6s, or I'll get a Lumia 640.
>>
>>51726080
WTF I just noticed that Family came out KEK. I ment it wrecked my shit
>>
>>51725404
>How long did it take you to get used to it?
I wouldn't know Anon because I never "upgraded".

But my Nokia 6300 is literally falling apart now. Can't decide what to get as a replacement.

I'm tempted to give Moto G a go, but I know I'll regret it.

>>51725502
>Get good at T9 and you'll type faster than on a qwerty keyboard.
Can confirm that. And you can touch type and do other shit on the phone without looking in fact.
>>
>>51726201
Im using a moto g. It's a really good phone. Though camera lacks a bit for epic super hd details, but normal pics are fine.
>>
Seriously considering going back to a dumbphone but I already have a smartphone and I need wifi sharing for my laptop, so it's not really and option right now. I hope dumbphones are not dead by the time I have to get a new phone.
>>
>>51725404
I have a flip phone, 35 dollaridoos on Verizon.

>3 day battery life
>Signal errywhere
>Only get called for important shit

I carry a Nexus 7 with me for everything else. I learned to hate being connected all the time. Like how Facebook tells people when you look at their message or when you are online in general.

>inb4 UHH CAN JUS TURN IT OFFF

Every update turns it back on friend. Snapchat is only entertaining less than half the time. Instagram is nothing but sluts and food. Twitter is the cancer of this country. The list just goes on. When I come home from work, I just want to be myself, by myself. I dont need 30 texts or game invites or targeted ads in my face 24/7. I just use my laptop and my tab.
>>
>>51725404
I got my first smartphone 4 years and ended up not using it for anything but calls, texts, and playing media from an SD card. My next phone will be a 3310, although I might keep my current one as a music player.
>>
File: 2_2_22_1[1].png (117 KB, 390x357) Image search: [Google]
2_2_22_1[1].png
117 KB, 390x357
I miss razrs ;_;
>>
>>51725441
>m-muh le friends xD
>>51725404
Nope, my smartphone doubles as music player and I like the ability to browse interwebs anytime I want. If it were only for a calls I guess I would downgrade but overall smartphones are just too damn useful.
>>
>Snapchat is only entertaining less than half the time. Instagram is nothing but sluts and food. Twitter is the cancer of this country

Truu :)
>>
>>51725404
Going to do it soon, as I realized that VOIP at home and prepaid minutes for emergencies would be more cost effective, going to use my old Razr that I kept around. Not being part of the cell phone botnet will be nice as my phone will be off all the time and I can just throw some paper between the contacts on the battery and the contacts on the phone.
>>
>>51726845
>cell phone
>bot net free
Pick one
>>
>>51727015
>botnet
>on a device with no power
>>
File: 1449080611335.jpg (47 KB, 433x419) Image search: [Google]
1449080611335.jpg
47 KB, 433x419
>>51727050
>he really believes this
>>
>>51727015
Did you miss the part where it's going to be without battery power? Only times I've actually used a cell phone to call when I wasn't at home in over a year were a couple calls when my car broke down and one call from work about a used moped that could have waited until after work, so in the event that I did have to use it all someone is going to be able to get is where my car broke down and that I'm calling a tow truck/taxi..
>>
>>51727110
B-but Stallman said ....
>>
File: IMG_20150520_183641.jpg (86 KB, 423x1021) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150520_183641.jpg
86 KB, 423x1021
Should I just get an old BlackBerry ?
>>
>>51727149
Brief participation in the botnet is a preferable alternative to walking 10 miles home half asleep carrying a toolbox that I don't want to leave in my car for someone to steal at 9:00 PM after working a 12 hour shift lifting boxes all day plus 1-2 hours of working on my car.
>>
I upgraded from a dumbphone to no phone at all. Privacy > convenience.
>>
>>51727181
I've owned pretty much every type of phone, and it's my opinion that the BB 9780 is the greatest phone ever made (for it's time). It's awesome.
>>
File: 9780.jpg (156 KB, 531x482) Image search: [Google]
9780.jpg
156 KB, 531x482
>>51727295
Oops..pic related
>>
>>51725404
I never owned one.
>>
You don't understand what botnet means. Educate yourself kid.
>>
>>51728000
was meant for
>>51727096
>>
Lots of luddites and small minds downgrade. It makes them feel smart I guess.

>less distractions
Or have self control

I used to see that dumb shit posted by minimalism faggots, "less is more"... less is more if you're unable to control yourself. More is more if you can control yourself and use the device for what you want. I guess minimalism must also refer to a minimalist mind, as in not having anything upstairs so you have to spend all this time and effort limiting yourself so you don't get confused.

>GAEMS
>FAGBOOK

Dumbphones come with java games and some of them have browsers you can use to get on fb. ohhhh I went all contrarian there didn't I. You probably aren't reading this post anymore so I can put a hitler or two in it. Anyway, smartphones are great for business apps and wifi tethering. You can also parrot the MUH TRACKING maymay hitler but using that same retard luddite logic you'll get tracked on both.
>>
>>51725404
I Downgraded from having 1 Iphone 6S plus and a Galaxy S6 edge to having a BlackBerry Curve and an old nokia, blackberry just for whatsapp
>>
File: 1442040438803.jpg (27 KB, 480x367) Image search: [Google]
1442040438803.jpg
27 KB, 480x367
>>51725404
>3310
>downgrade
>>
I'm planning on getting one of those neat flip-smart phones. Not a huge downgrade, but it's enough that it'll help it be less of a distraction.

Plus, I prefer the flip form factor.
>>
Sould I get a Nokia N9, /g/?
it's like 90€ on Ebay now
>>
>>51726710
the software and UI was a shit, but the device itself is so sweet
>>
File: color[1].jpg (44 KB, 500x394) Image search: [Google]
color[1].jpg
44 KB, 500x394
Best phone.
>>
>>51732567
Does it support WPA2?
>>
>Not having discipline to use your phone with moderation

Unless you have absolutely no self control there is no reason to use a "dumb" phone instead of a smartphone.
>>
N O K I A 1 0 0
O
K
I
A
>>
guise, my 808 is dying. i only see samshits, otherdroids and ishits. what is a gentleman to do in a phonecape dominated by consumerism and planned obsolescence?

what is a good phone these days? fuck apps, but checking mail+web+music is nice, as well as a nonshit camera.
>>
Am I missing out on not ever using Snapchat? I thought you were all spergs, why are you using teenager technology?
>>
>>51725404

Just get one with tethering and carry a phablet for checking your sloots.
>>
I live in a city outside of America. Having Google maps is essential.
>>
>>51725444

T9 is pretty damn fast for anyone not born after the late 90s.

And most modern dumbphones can receive MMS pics.
>>
Please post some instagram azn names, you'll have my gratitude.

Also i'm planning on a downgrade too, i'm beyond tired as fuck of these virtual keyboards and i wear slim/fit clothes so i wouldn't mind smaller devices that don't look like a bulge in my pockets
>>
went back to my sony ericsson c510.
a lot o fold phones are gsm only and won't work in these 3g/4g infested times
>>
>>51725404
I did.
I use Nokia C7 which I use for personal stuff.
And Nokia X2 which I keep for work.
>>
>>51726523
>Instagram is nothing but sluts and food
Then you must be using it correctly.
Any profiles you care to share?
>>
>>51729227
lol u ok there buddy?
>>
>>51733597
Sperg teens
>>
>>51725404
I wish I could, but my boss would be pissed.*

I can use my laptop if I really really need pictures or video.

* Not that that they fucking pay for any of the phone that I use for work. But that's another story.
>>
File: onetouch2012.jpg (30 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
onetouch2012.jpg
30 KB, 450x450
>>51725404
flip pnones are better than 'nokia' type phones, when opened are long enough to have comfy reach from moung to ear, can't unlock keyboard by accident /very easy/frequent to happen with samsung, harder with nokia/ because it is inside it's comfy shell,protected
>>
>>51725404
I'd miss shitposting in the designated street and navigation.
>>
>>51734634
>>51725685
It is possible to post on 4chan from Nokia 6300 with Opera Mini.

Granted, with captcha it's a massive pain in the ass (copying and pasting the captcha code after solving), but I did do it a couple of times just to see if it's possible for myself.

>>51726245
I wish they would mark the Moto G versions clearly, the current state (like 6? different generations/versions) confuses the fuck out of me and I despite doing research on cancerous mobile review sites.

Also I have my DSLR for pictures, so I don't care all that much. Everything will be a great improvement over the 2mpix runny shit camera the 6300 has.
>>
>>51725441

This is the only smart answer
OP, just realize you are as ridicoulos as those hipsters who still use walkmans and cd player

> b-but you can still send sms..

LOL
O
L
>>
Yeah, X1-00 here. 90 days battery life, I don't really miss my iOS/android days.

Only thing is I still have a lot of OTP/2factor shit connected to one of my old devices, which actually works out well for security since I don't carry it.
>>
>>51725404
>Just to make my life simpler and have less distractions

Yeah phone is not the cause but consequence.

I've tried all that, using phones like 15 years old Motorola Startac, getting rid of my computer.

Shit just didn't work for me but try it, maybe it'll work for you.
>>
>>51733760

2G network is still up and running, only the oldest phones like from late 90's can run into issues.
>>
File: crab.jpg (44 KB, 605x455) Image search: [Google]
crab.jpg
44 KB, 605x455
>>51725404
I use 'SelfKontroll' and "not-add-retards" also helps
>>
>>51727295
I agree with this man.

It was such a great fucking phone.
>>
>>51725404
>Just to make my life simpler and have less distractions

That says more about you than your phone. You probably smoke too?
>>
>>51735860
Just make sure it supports E-GSM (for GSM networks of course). A lot of devices other than phones still use E-GSM so supported won't be dropped anytime soon.
>>
>>51734322

I use the same one.

its great.
>>
>tfw i could literally talk to someone and type a message under the table with T9
>tfw you can't type without looking on a touchscreen
>tfw i bought a blackberry with a qwerty
feels good man
>>
>>51725404
Downgraded to Motorola Droid 4 some time ago, well worth it
>>
>>51725404

Yes, I swapped my Nexus for iPhone
>>
>>51733373
walmart and amazon sell 808s for like 150 dollars.
>>
>>51725404
Get a Nokia 8210, they are the best phones from that era.
Old enough to have nothing but GSM tech for comms. Thats all you need.

I actually use an iPhone 5S still on iOS 7, but also have an 3310 and some £20 Samsung thing which is basic as hell.

Got to laugh at all these guys suggesting phones that have FACEBOOK apps, colour screens, flip phones and qwerty keyboards.

>filename
>>
>>51736655
Damn. The amount of screens I fixed on those...
>>
>>51734864
>hipster
>latest iphone

>hipster
>older phone

fucked if you, fucked if you don't.

Either way OP just do what makes you happy.
>>
>had a Motorola razr up until last year

People gave me shit but that thing was like an original brick Gameboy in the damage it could soak up. Screen was tiny as fuck but I could still get nudes.
>>
>>51726248
They'll never be dead
Flip Phones are still very popular in Japan of all places

They'll always keep producing them for 3rd world countries
>>
>>51729227
good goyim
>>
>>51725404
>life simpler and have less distractions
Change yourself, not your phone.

I used to want the same thing. I realized it was much better to change my habits, because they'll prevail regardless of my technological choices.

I've pretty much withdrawn from technology, I got plenty new activities taking me away from computers, and in the end, my smartphone is only useful to check train and fight times, keep track of events, and as a GPS. Oh, and a phone obviously.

I can't get rid of it entirely, because I still actually need it, and I would regret it. But I'm definitely free from technology now, and I'm pretty much a slower version of a normie, as I don't give the slightest fuck about social networks.
>>
>>51733280
>there is no reason to use a "dumb" phone instead of a smartphone.

>Real Buttons
>Good Shape that doesn't hurt your hand
>Better Grip
>No planned obsolescence
>Good Aesthetics because it doesn't have to be ridiculously tall
>Fits your pocket better
>Far more durable
>>
>>51733244
Yes.
>>
File: L.png (89 KB, 1272x1152) Image search: [Google]
L.png
89 KB, 1272x1152
>>51736249
HEY SHERLOCK HOLMES WHAT'S UP? MR.4CHIN PSYCHOLOGIST HERE? IS THAT YOU SIGMUND FREUD????

FUCKING FAGGOT
>>
>>51736655
>them godtier aesthetics

whatever happened to phones man?
smartphones look like garbage
>>
>>51738086
Fucking kek
>>
>>51725404
Downgraded from a smartphone to a feature phone when I quit my job and had to give back my company phone.

I only used it once or twice a day, and mostly to read e-mails.
But I miss my smartphone far more than I thought I would.
>>
File: Nokia-5210-02.jpg (14 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
Nokia-5210-02.jpg
14 KB, 220x220
>>51725404
Ancient Nokia master race.
>>
>>51737988
and battery that lasts a full week at moderate use
>>
>>51738165
>that old nokia logo
>maximum comfy
>>
This: >>51725441
Why the fuck someone who can use a pocket computer-phone with high resolution screen and internet would use an ancient phone??

Op fuck off with your hipster bullshit starting the same thread every day.
>>
itt massive hipsters that girls laugh at.
>>
>>51738384
Battery life?

Just use your tablet or ultrabook for everything else.
>>
>>51738516
I get 2 days and 7 hours of on screen on my z3c, why I would need more if I could charge it even every day?
>>
>>51738384

this
>>
>>51738384
>old phones
>hipster bullshit
>not smartphones

And the award for the most retarded post of the day goes to...
>>
>>51738384
Because tablets and small laptops are much more efficient for being an actual computer? I'll take a larger device with a decent OS over a small device that I can fit in my pocket but takes longer to do shit with. The experience of shitposting from a phone doesn't come close to that of shitposting from a small laptop and shitposting in multiple threads at once from a phone quickly becomes more of a hassle than carrying around a larger device would be desu.
>>
>>51725404
OP, do whatever the fuck you want. Downgrade, upgrade, fuckrape. It's all good.
>>
>>51738966
I know this is /g/ but did you know there are people with actual lifes, work, friend and social interaction?
>>
>>51739366
What can you do on a smart phone that can't be done better on a small laptop or tablet?
>>
>>51739445
Have it in my pocket.
>>
>>51738889
hipster of whatever you call special snowlakes who go around like look at me! I don't use a smartphone I'm so special! smartphones are shit, my nokia brick is so comfy and the battery last a lot!
>>
get a windows phone, famz
>>
>>51738983
Thanks love <3
>>
>>51726080
get the iphone, especially if you haven't ever tried one

hell, jailbreak it if you feel the need to, too!
>>
>>51725404
i downgraded to pic related from a S5. love it. the only part that got some getting used to was texting without a keyboard again.
>>
>>51739670
wow you are so cool, not like the zombies who use smartphones!
>>
>>51739567
And I can throw a small laptop/tablet in a bag and bring it with me everywhere, and it'll be much more efficient for any of the shit that a smart phone might be able to do over a regular phone. I always loved the idea of a pocket sized computer, but after using a smartphone for a couple years have concluded that everything designed for them is terrible and completely ruins the experience of using the damn thing.
>>
All dumbphones have like 8-14 weeks of battery. Beyond that its really whatever.
>>
>>51725441
>friends
>>
Honestly I almost did, but then I discovered the wonders of rooting and it's just impossible to go back since. Most dumbphones can't even wirelessly communicate with your PC. The lead dealbreaker however is physical keyboards, not sure how I'll exist without them.
>>
File: samsung-smiley-1.jpg (54 KB, 412x550) Image search: [Google]
samsung-smiley-1.jpg
54 KB, 412x550
>>51725404
After cracking the touchscreen on my second Xperia Z1, I decided to just buy a sim card adapter and have been using a Samsung Smiley ever since.
>>
>>51725404
I only use my phone for making calls, text messages, listening to music, and as an alarm clock. Making pictures is a bonus, and checking sites online is rarely ever useful since I can only do it if there is free wifi around (if I'm at somewhere with a real connection, I usually also have a full computer there).

Taking pictures is semi useful, but I could live without it - plus it's not like phone cameras can make good pictures, unless I buy a phone as expensive as a good camera (at which point the camera would be 10x better than an expensive phone).

So downgrading wouldn't make much difference to me, to be honest. But I got a free smartphone at work to test websites on, so I may as well use it.
>>
>>51738889
you might be the retard
>>
>>51739999
but it's still a smarphone
>>
>>51740696
what defines a smartphone???
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.