[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did this 'everyone needs to learn to code!' meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: mainframe.jpg (33 KB, 298x308) Image search: [Google]
mainframe.jpg
33 KB, 298x308
Where did this 'everyone needs to learn to code!' meme come from? At this point it is everywhere. And I mean mainstream, normal life, not 'everyone in STEM needs to code!' or something like that.
>>
File: mayorwtf.png (11 KB, 514x150) Image search: [Google]
mayorwtf.png
11 KB, 514x150
>>
It's true. You either learn to program, or you will be programmed.
>>
>>51720360
programming has become cool in recent years.
>>
>>51720360
>meme
If programming became a skill like being literate, then we would finally be rid of normies not knowing shit about how software development works and thus have completely ludicrous opinions about it.
>>
>>51720381

I think people would benefit more from learning about personal accounting/money stuff/etc. in regular life.

And yes I know this should just be the norm, but people don't do it.
>>
>>51720424
Why not both? Learn programming and personal finance. You could even program yourself up some personal finance software.
>>
>>51720360
People finally understood that they could make cool utility applications (aka apps) for their mobile phones.

Of course computers has been around for a long time, but acting parts like Microsoft and Oracle have tried to hinder people from fixing stuff themselves and forcing their off-the-shelf solutions on everyone.

Smart phones brought programming to the masses.
>>
>>51720424
>I think people would benefit more from learning about personal accounting/money stuff/etc. in regular life.
In my country we do both. We have economy classes in high school as well as programming classes.
>>
>>51720360

It's the modern equivalent of saying that everyone should have at least some competency when it comes to home improvements and repairs.

Knowing how a door latch works isn't important in your day to day life. But it's one tiny piece of knowledge that helps remove some of the mystery of how a house works.

Learning at least some coding makes every interaction you have with a computer seem less mysterious. And fewer oblivious retards is a good thing.
>>
>>51720360
>learning algebra is a meme
>learning calculus is a meme
>learning history is a meme
>learning geography is a meme
>learning music is a meme
>>
>>51720543

No, they aren't a meme. That's the point. 'Learn to program' and the meme right now of 'EVERYONE LAERN TO PGORAMRAM!' are two different things.
>>
>>51720584
>are two different things

Your perception of them is different. And you're alone in this view, OP.
>>
>>51720688

They are two different things. And what view am I alone in? I didn't express an opinion to be 'alone' in.
>>
>>51720727

To elaborate 'Koni 2012!' is a meme. 'Get rid of African warlords and their child armies' is not a meme.

I'm talking about memes as the actual term is meant, not just the 'internet pictures' way.
>>
>>51720727
They are not, politicians and celebrities want to make programming a mandatory part of school curriculum.

I don't understand why you object to this so much? What's wrong with learning? What's wrong with integrating a vital part of modern technology into what we teach kids so they can adapt to modern adulthood?
>>
>>51720360
It's pretty stupid.

Programming is only one part of the tech equation. Without people working on the top level and becoming proficient with the best programs, what is the point of creating them in the first place?

Instead of saying something very typical like

>I love video games
>I want to make video games
>I know! I'll learn to code!

Instead you should be saying to yourself
>I love video games
>I want to make video games
>I know! I'll learn the ins and outs of Unity and actually make something instead of reinventing the wheel!

And this goes in all other directions. Get deep into photoshop, premiere pro, or fl studio.

Or maybe don't even work with computers at all. Electrical engineering, wood working, or simply understanding physics are all fine pursuits.
>>
>>51720774

Where did I object to this at all? I asked where a certain meme came from; not at all that I disagree programming should be part of school curriculum.

Why do you assume I am against programming as part of school curriculum? Who would be against that?
>>
>>51720360
I tend to think of it more this way:

Programming and scripting tend to make you think of more efficient ways of doing something. So that coworker that might've spent a few hours on a spreadsheet, could get the same task done much faster if they knew of some of the scripting-like tools in excel. Kind of a bad example, but it works.

Also, if you're a sysadmin or systems engineer, it's helpful to know how to use powershell/bash because you can get things done far more quickly.

True, not everyone needs to know how to program. But most office workers should be familiar with regex and other bulk-action utilities built into common software.
>>
>>51720811
>Where did I object to this at all? I asked where a certain meme came from;
Calling it a "meme" pretty much implied that you opposed it.

>Why do you assume I am against programming as part of school curriculum?
Because that's what the fucking code.org movement is all about.

>Who would be against that?
No one should be that, that's why I was asking.
>>
>>51720507
I agree. It's less about programming and more about knowing how to be efficient with a computer.

Why do this same task 100 times when I can write find a script online, of someone else doing the same, and edit it for my needs? Just having a very, very basic understanding of how scripts/programs work would benefit you in that situation.
>>
>>51720908

Right I understand all this and why people think certain things about coding, I meant where the meme came from.

Similar to how did the meme of "STEM STEM STEM!" come from and become so prevalent among people that did not study STEM or have anything to do with STEM.

Wondering this has nothing to do with not thinking that studying STEM fields is a very good idea, or that I don't do so myself. It is the question of the meme and an interest in how that comes about.
>>
>>51720947

How is using the word meme at all imply that I am opposed to it?

When did I mention code.org?
>>
File: word.jpg (105 KB, 400x345) Image search: [Google]
word.jpg
105 KB, 400x345
>>51720966
>learning to code is a meme
>encouraging people to do STEM is a meme
I'm starting to suspect that you don't really know what the word "meme" means.

Pic related, it's a meme.
>>
>>51720985
Okay, if you're going to sperg out and go all autistic, I'm out. OP is a huge faggot.
>>
>>51721008

No, that is not what a meme is at all. But yes if you are using the fake/tongue-in-cheek definition of 'meme' to be related to silly internet pictures somehow then of course what I am asking is coming across wrong. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I think you may be the one mistaken on what a meme is and where the word comes from.
>>
>>51721035

For Christ sake dude just google 'meme' so we can continue this thread, that's all I am saying.
>>
>>51720966
It probably comes from the fact that most uninformed people think simply 'knowing how to program' will equate to higher pay and a better life. And because those same people make it seem easy, people tend to think it's a 'get rich quick' scheme.

Basically, a hs grad thinks going for a CS degree will result in an easy trip to 80k at graduation. What he/she's not told, is that CS requires a high level of dedication and hard work. And you must really enjoy working with computers/electronics to succeed.

Same goes for STEM, people go into engineering because they think it'll be easy and they'll graduate and go on to building cars and designing planes. When, in reality, they'll be designing a handle on Colagate's next toothbrush.

If someone wants to just have the 'skill' of programming, or scripting or whatever -I advise they just take a class or two on it, not dedicate their entire major to it. If they want to be an art history major, good for you -but make sure you get a valuable skill as it relates to corporate America.
>>
>>51720543
>calling everything a meme is a meme
>>
>>51720543
Learning History and Geography and Music are memes, they're completely worthless.
>>
>>51721464
In what sense?

I agree they're not the most lucrative endeavors, but you can learn a lot of useful things from history. Geography is also helpful in everyday life. At least having a general idea of what continent a country is on, is helpful.

Also, music is all subjective, but having a basic understanding of it would be helpful for engaging in smalltalk.

Basically I agree with you, anon.
>>
>ITT: OP is severely autistic and calls something that isn't a meme "a meme" while simultaneously lashing out at random people for not understanding what he means when he says that it is a meme

That's it, enough 4chan for today.
>>
>>51720379
something is off about his avatar
>>
>>51720949
>>51720507
These. Programming alone isn't particularly useful if a person doesn't have a basic understanding of how computers work.

A higher baseline level of computer literacy would also cut down a lot on the spread of malware and the like, since many/most botnets and the like are constructed by exploiting idiots who can't tell a phishing email apart from something legitimate.
>>
>>51721586

OP here, how am I lashing out?

Can you explain to me what a meme is then? I thought this post differentiated between memetic thinking and non memetic thinking pretty well:

>>51720771

As well as this post:

>>51720966

I am not upset or anything so if I am wrong please elaborate.

I am fairly positive that what I am talking about in the OP is a text-book example of what a meme is; and has nothing to do with the merits of teaching/learning programming.

The idea is discussing how technology based memes take hold in society (which is made up primarily of people that have a passing interest in technology and won't actually pursue the subject of said meme at all) and how that is interesting; it has nothing to do with whether learning programming is useful or not.

As I said, if you think the definition of meme has anything to do with internet culture or was started with internet culture in any way then yes of course the discussion I am trying to start sounds ridiculous. But that is not what the word meme means, or where it came from.
>>
>>51721008
That's an image macro
>>
back in the early days of computing the manuals that came with computers would teach you programming since you had to know it to make your computer functional
>>
Because more and more things need coding.

I'm a mechanical engineer and don't care for coding, but a lot of jobs like to have coding experience so you can do both the hardware and software side of stuff.

The only coding I do is generation of gcode for CNC machines and 3d printers though. Plenty of good jobs out there that don't require coding.
>>
>>51723366
But, contrary to what everyone says, not eveyone owned a computer back in the day.
It's like Woodstock for Gen-X'ers. They say they went, but they just knew someone who did.
>>
>>51726602
well my grandpa had an apple II and i remember it from when i was little, he wrote a program on it for his finances or something
>>
>>51726937
Unless ur underage b&, he's a boomer.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.