[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>current year >golang >shig
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: golang.png (6 KB, 192x262) Image search: [Google]
golang.png
6 KB, 192x262
>Falling for the /g/olang meme

Literally the autistic fedora of programming languages.
>>
There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about and those nobody uses.
>>
>>51719221

I have to start using it at a new job. In your opinion what are some of the negatives?
>>
>>51719280
just look at it, it's ugly as fuck
who wouldn't use one of the many powerful dynamically typed languages that already exist? much more elegant and expressive.

Go is the new PHP
>>
>>51719327
>Syntax is all that matters.
>>
>>51719353
have fun maintaining all the copy/paste legacy go code in 5 years. that's when you'll realize how unreadable it truly is.
>>
>>51719327
I hear what you are saying.
However, I have to start using it, so bitching is not helping me. So is it just the syntax that you don't like?
>>
>>51719221
Don't use it then, retard
>>
>>51719387
as a python programmer whose tried to rewrite existing python apps to go, it wasn't fun. reading/writing to any database, even using the builtin sql libraries, is hell with static typing. even with less features, the go code ended up being over twice the LOC as the original python app. and that'd be fine if it was at least twice as fast, but after extensive benchmarking it was at most 1.5x as performant, and that's likely due to database optimizations than go itself.
>>
>>51719467
Thanks. Yeh I am also coming from a python background so I will keep that in mind
>>
>>51719467
>the go code ended up being over twice the LOC
and yet, according to the benchmark games page, Go programs are shorter, i.e., you still type less in Go than in Python.
>>
File: 1440924935443.gif (695 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440924935443.gif
695 KB, 500x500
>all these hipster startups using Ruby on Rails, Python, Go, and 40 different JavaScript frameworks that came out in the last year
>>
>>51720668
Python isn't an SJW language, check their CoC. Nothing about sexual harassment/language there.

Nice try though trying to slip Python in there, good show!
>>
>>51722668
>being this retarded
do you know how this "sjw on programming" thing started?
>>
File: Ruby.png (89 KB, 959x833) Image search: [Google]
Ruby.png
89 KB, 959x833
>>51719221
Yes ruby is better...
>>
>>51719221
No php7 is far away better than this.
>>
why doesn't everyone just use C?
>>
>>51722668
Python is a SJW language since it has a CoC
you don't see a CoC in a proper language like D
>>
>>51719467
>Bitches about Go
>Is a Python programmer
Kill yourself, Python, along with Ruby is the cancer of programming
>>
>>51719387
It makes it easy for shitty programmers to write shitty code that just barely works. In 10 years, you're going to be looking over some Ruby on Rails coder's stopgap code and wish people had memed Rust or Haskell instead.
>>
File: golang-trash.jpg (247 KB, 680x697) Image search: [Google]
golang-trash.jpg
247 KB, 680x697
I want meme languages to die.
>>
>>51720521
i find that hard to believe. python is very concise and you can import libraries to do a lot of the heavy lifting
>>
>>51727105
>Proper language
>D
oh boy
>>
>>51728121
yeah, you are right, python is still much shorter.
I guess I confused it with some other language:
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/python.html
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/go.html
(the gz column shows the size of the code, after compression)
>>
>>51727979
I understand Go going into the trash (SJW), but can someone please explain what is wrong with Haskkell (the one in the trash)
>>
File: d27.jpg (32 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
d27.jpg
32 KB, 630x630
>>51727105
>>
>>51727150
What the hell are you talking about, Python has a normal CoC. There is nothing mentioning sexual harassment or anything about special use of language
>>
>>51719221
Coder at my work likes it a lot - one of few people i know that actually knows about it IRL

IPFS uses it

i don't like it... jfc

>>51725770
>muh dynamic typing
Majority code isn't written with newest standards
No standard for compilers
Compilers don't always use newest things

Because of those 3 nobody makes package managers and good projects which make Go, Rust, and JS especially with node more friendlier than c

Cause

>npm install ShitPackage

is easier than

>download ShitPackage.tar.gz
>Needs dependencies
>download dependencies
>try to compile it
>On windows? Get Mingw or Clang - pray to god you don't need MSVC... Or if the library uses MSVC pray to god you can compile it for MinGW\Clan

Package managers can't fix that last part and why C is under used for startups

Literally it's 2 seconds to start a good project in any other framework....

Too bad, C\C++ is better.. although this shit has given me a new love for JS
>>
>>51727959
>rust
n o t h a n k s

>Rust or Haskell
Psuedo Functional or Functional
uh

At least haskell looks better than rust
Also Rust is a poopy SJW run language, theres no saving it...
Also that run time is bigger than the SJW hambeasts that ruined it for me (also the fuckhueg runtime ruined it for me too,,, 20mb for hello world, fuck off...

>inb4 dynamic link
Fuck you, i shouldn't need a 20mb library to say hello world, fucking MSVCRT is smaller, any CPP runtime is smaller

You shouldn't need a full runtime for a small program jfc
>>
>>51728668
protip, retard: a CoC for a language does not fucking matter
>>
>>51728632
Haskell is useless, even its creator said so. Thus, meme language.
>>
>>51719375
> copy/paste legacy code
welcome to software engineering
>>
>>51729812
This.

As much as I hate Issac and his ilk, npm is useful as shit.
>>
>>51730323
It does if you want to contribute to the projects you enjoy.

Simple tacit agreement by merely being present in a community with an overreaching code of conduct will eventually ruin your career, the "diversity" or "inclusivity" team of your choice will not fail at finding a reason to exercise their infallible judgement against you if you refuse to play along.
>>
>>51730993
so self-host or something

they can't disable your code remotely
>>
>>51719221
Anyone know how and why Uriel offed himself?
>>
>tfw everyone is still hung up on dead language Go when Elixir is masterrace
>>
>>51731014
no idea
because he was lonely, what we do know is that he ran away from home. His family was told to contact Mozilla mailing list since they found out that is where he worked
>>
>>51731048
>falling for the VM meme
kek
>>
>>51731074
>Not appreciating well-developed compiled languages
>>
>>51731057
Yeah, I was able to get so far as to find his real name but no news on his death.
>>
Why is it only Go or Node.js can have unretarded dependency installations? As much as I'd rather be using C/C++ as an end-stage beginner Go/Node.js just appeal to me how easy it is to do things like that.
>>
>>51731143
it was announced on the Gonuts google forum
i don't think news agencies report suicides
>>
>>51731155
And also documentation, JUST LOOK AT HOW BEAUTIFUL THIS SHIT IS!
https://godoc.org/github.com/btcsuite/btcd/wire
ALL FROM CODE COMMENTS
>>
File: 1440171167793.jpg (149 KB, 565x575) Image search: [Google]
1440171167793.jpg
149 KB, 565x575
>>51731095
>well-developed compiled languages
>needs to be executed in a VM
>can't even be run natively on any of the most used operating systems in the world
>well-developed
>>
>>51731158
Was there an indicator he was lonely? Considering how impassioned he was about things, I am surprised he went that route. You'd think he'd want to go out fighting hard.
>>
>>51729812
C/C++ packages are just in your distro's package manager.
>sudo apt-get install libthing-dev
wow, it was hard.
>>
>>51719221
https://github.com/golang/go/issues/6853
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.