[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mozilla drops ads in Firefox tiles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 3
File: Firefox-Ad1-640x353.png (253 KB, 640x353) Image search: [Google]
Firefox-Ad1-640x353.png
253 KB, 640x353
A small victory https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingcontent/2015/12/04/advancing-content/
>>
still SJW cancer
>>
>>51718127
>sjwzilla
>femzilla
>kekzilla
>poointheloozilla
>>
>>51718139
cant wait for mozilla to die
nothing would be lost since its open source
>>
>>51718127
I have never seen any, so to me it is irrelevant. I guess other sources of income are working better for them.
>>
>>51718127
Notice in that blog they never actually apologized for doing something so stupid, they just do the PR bullshit of "oh now were moving on to something better." What a load of crap.

And after all that they say they'll probably look at doing it again in the future. Firefox is fucked. If Google, a literal advertisement company, can keep ads out of it's browser Firefox sure as hell should keep them out too.

If only chromium had vertical tabs.
>>
>>51718441
Google gets rich from selling your personal info. It makes up 85%+ of their profits. No self-respecting person would use Google products.
>>
What the hell is happening to my favourite open source browser these last few years in the first place? I don't care about the SJW stuff they're pulling, that's pulled way out of proportion in every mindless /g/ thread.

Why are they doing all this? Ads are gone now in tiles, that's a plus, but what about all the other stuff they keep bloating my beloved browser with? Pocket/Hello? Health reports? Telemetry in general? They hardly need to do all this judging from their revenue, but above all, these features all suck. They don't respect you, nor your privacy and rebrands like GNU IceCat and Debian's Iceweasel constantly need to keep them out.

>>51718468
This. Hopefully Mozilla won't be joining that list any time soon...
>>
>>51718583
>I don't care about the SJW stuff they're pulling,
>They don't respect you,
You really don't think it's related?
>>
>>51719253
I really don't, it's not pertinent to the stupid and invasive feature creep. And since that has caused many anons here to be offended my Mozilla, they're now picking on Mozilla (among others) for all sorts of nonsense. Care not for such trifles I say.
>>
Victory? They only cancelled it because no one has shown interest! If Google would have made such a deal, they would be instantly full of advertisings!

You know why? Because a browser with a healthy market share is of more value for advertisers than one like Mozilla.
>>
>>51718151
Pale Moon is going to replace firefox soon.
>>
File: kusg.gif (3 MB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
kusg.gif
3 MB, 200x180
does no one think this is a great thing? planning on making the switch to fox from chrome when this goes live
>>
>>51719893
It is a good thing, anon. They could, however, do much better still.
>>
>>51719893
Stupid ashole, Mozilla is cloning Chrome anyway, why planning to use a cheap copy which is less powerful than Blink engine?

I do not use Chrome, but with switching you would change a power horse against a lame slow whore!
>>
too bad mozilla lost their interest in developing new tech instead they focus on social PC
>>
>>51719913
Mozilla is a lame Google Chrome clone company. They could really do better. Stop remaking Google Chrome and adding again features which can customize the whole experience to the core like it was in the past.
>>
>>51719967
As i said. They are cloning Chrome, they are inserting tons of social networking stuff.

The usergroup for which they care are the most simple fags which should have not the tiniest bit of right in telling how technology should turn out in the future!
>>
>>51719968
>Mozilla is a lame Google Chrome clone company. They could really do better. Stop remaking Google Chrome and adding again features which can customize the whole experience to the core like it was in the past.
They're not a Google clone, nor is Firefox a Chrome clone. And you'd do well to remember Chrome is far more invasive than Firefox is.
>>
>>51720017
It is you stupid asshole. They are cloning Chrome UI customization limitations, they are cloning Chrome UI look, they are even cloning Chrome Extensions model. So shut the fuck up Mozilla aplogist!
>>
>>51720017
Not him. But aren't they about to force all the extensions to be more similar to Chrome?

That and they are constantly moving towards including stuff like proprietary shit and removing customization features it starting to smell fairly chrome over here.
>>
>>51720077
>uncalled for insults
>avoiding the statement Chrome is worse than Firefox
>>
>>51720017
Mozilla is the most lame company today, side by side with Opera. They did the same. Because that fucktard asshole faggots are greedy for Google Chrome's userbase. Therefor they change their own browser to be almost 1:1 attractive.

For both only one thing does count today: A shiny glittering design - this is for them today more of value than functionality and convenience features or usability features.
>>
>>51720017
And everyone who is betraying their userbase should be caught, shot and electrocuted to death before cut with a giant chainsaw into tiny pieces and burried afterwards, but not before one has spit and shit on the rotten corpse pieces!

Fucktard asshole companies!
>>
>>51720102
>Not him. But aren't they about to force all the extensions to be more similar to Chrome?
I've heard this before, but I keep confusing the add-ons with plugins and I've lost track of this.
>That and they are constantly moving towards including stuff like proprietary shit and removing customization features it starting to smell fairly chrome over here.
I'm not entirely sure, they did push Flash out the door for one. Still, they shouldn't make decisions based that much on what their competitors do. Mozilla hardly isn't what it was anymore, sadly.
>>
>>51720145
>Look guys, I'm screaming at him now. You must know I'm right now.
Shattering everyone's eardrums with childish accusations and threats isn't doing anyone a favour here.
>>
>not using iceweasel
It's firefox stripped of the shit.
Best reason to use Debian or Parabola (and soon maybe even Trisquel).
>>
>>51719893
How the fuck is this a "great thing" you retard? It was only introduced fairly recently, and has been removed because it was a failure that didn't make them enough money. Why the fuck would you switch to Firefox off the back of this news? "Oh boy, they removed a recently-added shit feature! Now I have to try it!"

Why weren't you using it five years ago before this feature was even a twinkle in some marketing executive's eye and the rest of the browser hadn't completely gone to shit? Removing the advertising that you just fucking added a year ago isn't a new feature of note that would promote switching to Firefox.

You seem like a Mozilla shill trying to talk this up as being some massive pro-consumer move desu senpai.
>>
>>51720243
>Iceweasel
That's a good rebrand, but the fact we have to tweak all the bloat and spyware out of a once awesome browser sucks. We need those rebrands (let's not forget IceCat) now more than ever, but what helps more is for Mozilla to get its act together.
>>
>>51720314
IceCat is morally good but technically utter shit
>>
>>51720222
Screaming to you? No, i just said what i would do if i ever would meet a Mozilla guy. Yes, exactly like that i would do. And i would enjoy it to crush that wannabe like human!
>>
It's still too late for Firefox, I already switched to Vivaldi so I could have a better chromium experience.

What's a good replacement for ff mobile?
I just need something that can block ads.
>>
>>51720341
I agree, but they still lack a large user base and more active development because of that.
>>
>>51720432
Lightning.
>>
>>51720404
Like I said, childish. With sociopathic tendencies I must add.
>>
>>51718127
jesus christ what a load of bullshit and dmg control in that post, it's fucking disgusting
>>
>>51720465
Not bad, but it doesn't block ads.
>>
>>51720760
Not him, but no browser does this by default. Third party add-ons make it possible, for some.
>>
>>51718127
They are about to slash the only move I deemed "ok" (in ways of monetizing the browser model, ads on non pinned tiles), guess the pocket botnet fund money is enough for now?
God, I miss "old" Mozilla :s
>>
>>51720862
Technically that's not true, there's this "Adblock Browser" but the permissions for it look terrible.

There's also a CAF chromium? But I can't find it on the store.
>>
>>51720639
What the fuck is the filename of this gif supposed to mean?
>>
>>51720896
Of course, fair enough. I was referring to the most popular ones. Should've made that clear.

>>51720891
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Monetize
>>
>>51720983
I find disappointing there's at least no chrome equivalent of mobile addons.

If my phone was rooted, I would just use adaway and stick with the default internet browser.
>>
>>51720983
>>https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/things-i-still-have.html#Virginity
>>
>>51718127
Going in the right direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LcUOEP7Brc
>>
>>51719892
Pale Moon is for Freetard RMS nut guzzlers. I dont think so.
>>
>>51720432
>Vivaldi
nice as a backup browser, but nothing else.
>>
>>51721510
Nothing else? I disagree.

It has made a lot of progress within the past month or two and easily replaces chromium as it stands now.

It's like a nice in between chrome and opera, with none of the spying or the faggotry.
>>
>>51721599
>It's like a nice in between chrome and opera
oh boy..
yeah, Ill stick with Firefox, thanks.
>>
>>51721659
I don't blame you, but Vivaldi will be the superior browser when Firefox becomes another chrome clone.
>>
>>51718127
>mozilla drops ads
they will drop another 2 features in the next version because "only 1% of users used it".
and they will mark another milestone in their "chrome clone" plan
>>
>>51721717
Vivaldi will never be a superior anything, because it's built on a shit layout engine.
>>
>>51721717
firefox is still firefox for me. All it took was Classic theme restore. No hint of Chrome-ness. And I disable everything that I dont like (fuck you hello). Try that with chrome..
>>
>>51721904
What will you do once Mozilla switches over to Chrome extensions only?

And Vivaldi is a step ahead by not having that shit in the first place.
>>
>>51722062
Nice fear mongering. You're as bad as Republicans.

Firefox gives people a choice, believe it or not there are people who arent fa/g/gots that care about such shit and just use the browser and then close it. Im sure there is at lest two people using hello.
>>
>>51722219
How is it fear mongering when it's true?

http://www.downthemall.net/the-likely-end-of-downthemall/

I don't care if you use DTM or not, the fact that Mozilla will stop supporting XUL is enough to drop the whole damn thing.
>>
>>51722338
Will XUL deprecation affect ricing at all?
>>
>>51722366
>all /g/ cares about is aesthetics
Typical.
>>
>>51718468
The point was that not even google (basically an advertisement company) puts ads on their own shit.
>>
>>51722366
Pretty sure lack of XUL will affect addons such as CTR.

User styles, probably not as much because Chrome supports those (though any addons that are the themes themselves will likely get axed too).
>>
>>51722390
Is that a yes or a no? Also why use downthemall instead of wget? All I know is that the Firefox addon page was very vibrant at one point now it's practically a ghost town filled with outdated extensions. Wouldn't it be better to make things more portable with Chrome addons? So you can just write one version and make very few modifications
>>
>>51722338
why cant they just have both. That kind of bloat I can handle.

What browser can directly cross over from firefox, use thier add-ons, sync with firefox mobile?
>>
>>51722503
The point of using firefox is for firefox extensions that don't limit the user experience in any way.

Chrome extensions have come a long way, but there's simply no good replacement for certain ff addons that are XUL heavy such as DTM.

If mozilla drops support for that, Firefox literally becomes another Chrome, but with the ability to use about:config (assuming they don't get rid of that too).
>>
>firekucks will defend this
>>
What's the most lightweight browser I can install that supports add-ons/u block?
>>
>>51722594
why would they just want the same browser but with their names on it? Do they think that if they just make a chrome clone people will jizz them selves and swich that very second? IT makes no sense to people on the outside.
>>
http://le-miiverse-resource.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Chat?useskin=oasis
>>
>SJW
>Chrome clone
>etc
>wahhh

its all about money and market share so none of that really bothers me.

the biggest issue is when mozilla decided to start undermining firefox users choices by having settings that do absolutely nothing but make you feel good. in order for your choices to actually stick you have to manually set them in about:config. once youve got software that does blatantly shady things like that its over.

it still can be worked around and still less invasive than google. im not jumping ship until plugins are offically gutted and/or they start hard coding telemetry, healthreport etc.

what browser has decent third party plugins like noscript/adblock that arent completely chrome style gimped? palemoon isnt all that impressive.
>>
>>51721599
>none of the spying
>proprietary software
heh
>>
>not using pale moon in the first place
>wanting to be keked
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.