[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Is A Complete Pile Of Shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 21
File: 1432449566151.jpg (311 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1432449566151.jpg
311 KB, 640x1136
After using Linux for damn near 10 years now, I fucking quit. I'm done. Linux is the equivalent of the car in your garage that you restore, but it's unreliable for virtually everything.

Trying to get work done? Nope
Trying to work on a project? Nope
Trying to be a normal member of society? Nope
Trying to enjoy entertainment in any way? Nope

The only thing that Linux has going for it is the programming aspects of the system. But if you're not using VIM/GVIM, you might as well fucking kill yourself. /g/ay will preach about "muh freedumz," but let's be serious -- Linux doesn't protect you anymore.

That's my 2 cents. Linux can fuck off. Pic related.
>>
>>51709646
Thanks Rajeep. Now fuck off.
>>>/int/designated
>>
>>51709646
Ubuntu 15.10 here.

You should really upgrade. My system is rock solid, has support for every package needed, and systemd literally fixed everything about Linux.
>>
File: 1449148905884.jpg (49 KB, 277x296) Image search: [Google]
1449148905884.jpg
49 KB, 277x296
>kingsoft for office
>mpv for videos
>jetbreains shit for programming
>chromium
all I need desu senpai
>>
File: 658.png (928 KB, 600x887) Image search: [Google]
658.png
928 KB, 600x887
linux as a server = great

all of linux's downfalls come from using it as a normal desktop environment and trying to do anything but basic web browsing on hardware that is less than 90% identical to what's been on the market in the past 5 years.

that being said, it's fucking free.
>>
>>51709646
hahaha yeah what are you going to switch to OP?

You're ignorant if you don't think Windows and OS X don't have their own set of issues, just as bad.
>>
>>51709646
Jim ?
>>
>>51709707
Ubuntu has been objectively competitive with Windows since probably 12.04 LTS in terms of functionality and usability.
>>
>>51709646
what about emacs?
>>
Linux sux it really really sux.
>>
>>51709739
top kek
>>
>>51709739

Not really, windows 7 is still a viable OS.

12.04? Largely abandoned. If anything Ubantu is a gimped OSX.
>>
>>51709646
>capitals on every word
>>51709805
>thought process

4chan is 18+, come back in 2020.
>>
>>51709646
Sorry that you suck at using your computer OP.
>>
>>51709874
>largely abandoned
Since 12.04... not saying 12.04 is what anyone should be using today...
>>
File: Fedora.gif (2 MB, 402x604) Image search: [Google]
Fedora.gif
2 MB, 402x604
>>51709646
Linux is for autistic fedora tippers!
>>
>>51709945
One of the only memes that's actually true
>>
>>51709646
What you are referring to as Linux is in fact, gnu Linux or as I've recently taken to calling it, gnu plus Linux.
>>
>>51709945
This guy is right
>>
>>51709739

I'm not just shit talking

windows has a specific audience (newer consumer-grade pre-built PCs) and you run into issues any time you try to build your own PC... but at least most hardware manufacturers release drivers and a lot of chipsets are shared.

with linux, it's a fucking gamble. will the drivers be supported? is that chipset going to work or is that one weird revision of it unsupported and causes kernel panics? should I use the opensource nouveau driver or the nvidia one? which one will make my screen lock up?

everything runs great... update packages... whole computer now refuses to start X because some obscure error...

these are questions I have faced recently with hardware that had zero problem running windows. ubuntu is OK I guess but there will never be linux on the desktop until they take it seriously.
>>
What Spongebob episode is that? I don't remember it.
>>
>>51710008
Maybe you're talking about laptops?

Ubuntu with NVIDIA on the desktop is perfect in my experience.

Besides, it's pretty easy to do a quick search on the hardware you want to make sure the experience with your preferred OS will be nice.
>>
>>51710008
Unless you're using really bizarre hardware or some broadcom wifi chips, pretty much everything works fine on linux.
>>
>>51710081
>some broadcom wifi chips
>thinks this isn't a huge fucking problem
I've tried to push Linux on some people, but only for their laptops. Probably 4/5 times, they have to give it up because their laptop has a broadcom chip in it. This is a BIG issue. It even stopped me from putting Linux on my laptop.

>Linux on a desktop
>for normies
>>
>>51709646
Just look at the desktop threads, what Linux has is aesthetic obviously.
>>
>>51710101
Blame broadcom.
>>
>>51709646
Come to glorious BSD, OP. It's all the shit you love about Linux, without all of the bullshit you hate.

Not convinced? Look at some of the manpages from OpenBSD. If they don't make you cream your jeans, you can fuck off back to Windows.
>>
>>51710110
>Blame broadcom.
It doesn't matter who holds the blame. What matters is that Linux is unusable for the vast majority of people until the problem is fixed.
>>
>>51710101
There's plenty of laptops out there using intel chipsets that work out of the box. I think macbooks use broadcom which would explain alot of your problems.
>>
>>51709688
top b8
>>
>>51709646
Having you been using nothing but a headless Slackware server for the last decade? Other than a few games, I can do everything on my Fedora box that I can do in Windows.
>>
>>51710122
Laptops with Broadcom chips are unusable until the problem is fixed.
>>
>>51710101
Laptops are shit. I'm not going to try to say you shouldn't have a laptop, but you can't deny they are junk. Proprietary form factors, tiny screens, shit ergonomics, kb/touchpad built by the lowest bidder, terrible firmware, broken ACPI tables, under-specced power supplies, et cetera.

Personally I've decided I don't need a portable system with the capabilities of a desktop. A tablet or smartphone is plenty until I can get to home or work to use a real machine.
>>
>>51710122
>>51710178
They're not even unusable. You just won't reliably be able to stream or download large files. Source: I used a laptop with a broadcom wireless adapter for well over a year on linux.
>>
>>51709688
I run 15.10 at work, does the job brilliantly.
>>
File: we-strippy-mane.gif (438 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
we-strippy-mane.gif
438 KB, 500x500
IMPORTANT DAILY REMINDER THAT SHILLING, ALSO KNOWN AS ASTROTURFING, DOES NOT OCCUR ON /g/, NEITHER OCCASIONALLY NOR CONSTANTLY
>>
Jesus Christ, is it fucking kiddie hour here or something?
>>
>>51709904
>at least i know how my computer works!!
>i know how to fix things when they break
faggot
>>
I will switch to Linux when vidya works on it. Wine only just Frankenstein 5-6 year old games now in 2015 doesn't count either. Needs a lot more native support.
>>
>>51709646
*gnu/linux
>>
>>51709646
Sounds like you're just remarkably terrible at reading and following basic directions.
>>
>>51709739

I put Ubuntu 14 on my box once and my very common onboard intel sound card didn't work. Into the trash it went.
>>
>>51710110

Why should broadcom devote the resources to write a driver for a kernel that 10 people use?
>>
>>51710629
Intel sound card? You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
Lets install an application:

Windows
>Google it
>Download .msi
>next next next finish
>might need one or two dependencies like .net framework or something else which is just as easy to find and install
>Enjoy running the software you want on your nice hardware

Linux
>Not in default repo
>Spend hours fucking with repos and packages and dependences that are in other repos and none of it is documented
>when the dependencies actually resolve there's 239 of them and it wants to install qt or gtk libraries even if you don't have a gui installed
>hang yourself

Lets uninstall an application:

Windows
>control panel
>programs and features
>find program in list
>uninstall
>done

Linux
>remove package with package manager
>1 package removed
>wait what were all the dependencies that are no longer needed fuck I don't remember
>your system is now shitted up with hundreds of packages you don't need now
>slit your wrists
>>
>>51710795

Shit its actually a realtek it just shows up as intel in device manager for some reason. Still a ridiculously popular card
>>
>>51709739
ayy
>>
>>51710008
Linux supports old hardware better than Windows.
>>
>>51710190
>Laptops are shit.
>lists how its different from desktop

No shit. That's why it's a LAPtop and not a DESKtop. I dont even

You don't leave your basement. Ever.
>>
>>51710849
i dont know what apps you tried to install that did that but removing depedencies is often as easy as
pacman -Rns package
>>
File: 00.gif (823 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
00.gif
823 KB, 500x500
Linux, once you've really gotten everything set properly is absolutely wonderful and a lot more responsive than Windows. However, I'm not really using it at the moment since I'm having problems with underscanning and no sound on my HDMI connected TV.

If you can get past the fact sometimes shit just won't werk out-the-box and you'll have to work your way with it, then Linux is a very good option for anyone looking to expand their knowledge on how computers work.
>>
>>51710849
lol!
Windows install process:
Download an exe from some random website that may or may not be run by an idiot or infected by malware.
Run the proprietary installer that is often a completely different UI from other installers.
Make sure to select 'expert mode' or 'custom' or whatever so that you can uncheck the boxes that will install extra toolbars by default.

Linux install process:
open software center
click the 'install' button for the app you want

Your uninstall process is similarly wrong. Heck there's even common and popular third-party software on Windows dedicated to removing shit that uninstallers leave behind. (Revo Uninstaller is one)
>>
>>51710849
It's amazing how bad idiots on /g/ are at pretending to have ever used Linux.
>>
>>51709646
Cool thread OP, maybe you should start a blog with your new Windows/OSX machine.
>>
>>51710101
Funny, I've never had trouble with laptop wifi on Linux (about 8 laptops I think).
>>
File: 1412288286236.png (358 KB, 721x531) Image search: [Google]
1412288286236.png
358 KB, 721x531
Someone needs to make an updated version of pic related.
>>
>>51710849
>I can't do pacman -Rns package
>I don't know how to makepkg
>I don't know how to ./configure, make, make install
>>
>>51710178
Unusable until you compile your own broadcom driver
>>
>comparing a windows gui to a linux cli
Nice bait m8
>>
>>51709646

I know, 'don't feed the trolls', but here goes.

Been a user of Linux since 94. Back then as a toy OS next to OS/2 and Windows (which itself is a toy OS).

>be poor
>install 95revC that I got for free
>it's crap.
>lose a bunch of data during a copy.
>fit of rage
>go to CompUSA and buy a boxed set of Caldera Linux in 1998

Been using Linux as my main driver ever since and every time I stick the next version of Windows in a VM, whatever it is at the time, I am reminded of /why/ I left. Everything from 3.1 through 10 has been utter ass.

>work

Windows stands in the fucking way of work. Ye gods, it's awful. Merely copying a non-trivial amount of media files from one drive to another is slow for no goddamn reason other than Microsoft's bleeding incompetence.
>>
>>51709646
>pile of shit
no linux is great to run a server, linux is great for a desktop OS but of course it will never match up with god tier Windows 10 when it comes to usability and software available.
>>
>>51709646
5 Rupees have been deposited to your bing account, krishna. We are proudly thinking about your pay rise.
Regards
Ganesh
Dept. of international marketting,
Microsoft
>>
Gotdamn these shill threads are funny. Fuckers have obviously never used Linux, just making shit up.

I switched over to Slackware Linux at work...insurance agency. It's fucking wonderful. Scratch that...it's a revelation. Everything just works, and now I have the worlds most advanced cli and kernel to automate my shit.
>>
>>51711265
Omg what a pain in the ass...TYPING stuff on a command line? Who has time to actually learn how to use a computer? I'm not some autist neck bear you know. I need pictures and check boxes to click.</sarc>
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457 KB, 600x450
>>51710849
Let's install a package:
yaourt <package_name>
Let's uninstall a package
pacman -Rsn <package_name>

Let's update
Windows:
download a third pary update checker
update the update checker
update shits one by one

Linux: pacman -Syyu

Maintainance:
Install a registry cleaner
run cleaner and hope it actually does the job
Linux
pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qqdt)
>>
>>51709646
>capitalizing vim and gvim as if they're acronyms
Ask how I know you're a winbabby.
>>
>>51710316
If you are having constant problems with your computer, the problem is your incompetence not the OS.
>>
>>51711570
how do I install fallout 4, pacman -suck-a-dick?
>>
>>51709646
You used linux for a decade? Then you would be know that user experience of linux get more closer to user comparing with 10 years before.
>>
>>51711625
by clicking the >>>/v/ button
>>
>>51711625
If you're so worried about your vidya stick with windows
>>
>>51711625
>he want's to play gaymes
>he used linux for damn 10 years as well
>>
>>51711625
proven manchild by >>51711672
>>
>>51710008
What kind of hardware could you possibly be using to think that WINDOWS has more support?

There are generic drivers baked into the kernel for almost everything. Just look at compiling the gentoo kernel, there's drivers for almost every chipset you can find from the current day and age, AND older cards.

Only overly obscure ones aren't going to work freshly installed, but hell if they'll work on windows either.
>>
File: 1427322283622.png (240 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1427322283622.png
240 KB, 500x500
>>51711570
>Maintainance:
>Install a registry cleaner
>>
>>51711775
>implying registry cleaners aren't useless
>>
>>51711775
>purchasing meme
>>
>>51709646
>used linux for 10 years
>doesnt have a single substantive complaint
>no indication of actual linux experience

We all know about astroturfing and fud, its a proven fact. But to see it right in front of you, so blatantly a 5 rupee post. It's sureal.

What a weird world we live in.
>>
>used linux for 10 years
>makes broad statements with no real world examples
>wants to be taken seriously
>>
>>51711789
They're not useless. They're harmful.
http://www.howtogeek.com/171633/why-using-a-registry-cleaner-wont-speed-up-your-pc-or-fix-crashes/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/are-registry-cleaners-necessary#1TC=windows-7

>Stupid things /g/ believes about technology ITT
>Registry cleaner!
>Hide your SSID!
>MAC address based access rules!
>>
>>51711895
this /g/ is fucking retarded, they can't even keep a windows install running so they have to restort to a walled garden environment like noobuntu
>>
>>51710081

Idunno mang, even with common setups like optimus, linux seems to just shit itself. I only got Mint to boot properly without going into wall text of errors. Even then, while using integrated graphics my laptop got hot as hell.

the kernel might be nice but the software ecosystem is a pain in the ass to deal with, especially with newer releases that all have empty repos. Plus you have to deal with freetarded spergs, no documentation and weird work arounds that all require terminal input that you copy pasted from some shady shitskin that barely speaks english, which ends up not working anyways.

Linux is just such a fucking chore to maintain. With windows you just install it and disable the services you don`t want, all software is latest. I mean sure you have shady installers with adware and some NET dlls missing but that`s nothing compared to the hoops you have to jump through on linux.
>>
>>51712029
Running Linux on a laptop isn't really worth it IMO. Ubuntu is a great experience on a desktop though.
>>
>>51712029
Honestly I don't think anyone here is ever going to get it.

I don't particularly like Windows but after being able to manage 100 users on 60 computers with it.. It's pretty obvious why the market share is what it is.
>>
>>51712062
almost triggered me with that one. nice b8 m8
>>
dunno what OP's issue is or what, maybe he's just retarded

>Trying to get work done? Nope
>Trying to work on a project? Nope
what are you working on
>Trying to be a normal member of society? Nope
that sounds like a personal problem
If you're gaming, you're SOL. Yeah, Wine exists, it works sometimes, and in occasional cases it's faster, but it's generally not faster and it's generally glitchy.

Hardware support? Other than Broadcom wifi still sucking ass, I haven't had any issues in the last 5 years, assuming the hardware wasn't "released this month" bleeding edge.
Sure, that's pretty much "works on my machine," but I've installed on a lot of machines. Last time I had an issue with a Linux install, Ubuntu 9.04 was new.

Software is a concern, but you knew what you were going into. If you expected Adobe or something to start supporting Linux, you deserved whatever you get.
Run the OS for what you need on the machines you need it on, I'm running Windows on the machine I'm typing on right now.
I regularly use Linux and don't have to fiddle with shit. Turn the machine on, do whatever shit I wanted to do (watch a movie, write come code, go on the internet, maybe emulate some games, etc), just the usual.

>>51710849
>wait what were all the dependencies that are no longer needed fuck I don't remember
apt-get autoremove (pretty much every current package manager has some equivalent to this command)
literally done

I'm not a Linux evangelist, but if you're too stupid to use a computer, get off /g/.
>>
FULLY AGREE OP. I MOVED TO MAC OSX FOR 2 COMPUTERS FOR A FEW YEARS THE I BOUGHT A SURFACE PRO 3 AND FUCKING LOVE WINDOWS!!!!!
>>
File: 12316627.jpg (81 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
12316627.jpg
81 KB, 720x720
>>51712011
>can't even keep a windows install running so they have to restort to a walled garden environment like noobuntu
>>
>>51710101

I haven't even had trouble with broadcom, really. Some models (4312) require you to plug it into ethernet once, run "additional drivers" and that's it.

Maybe it used to suck eggs but I've put ubuntu derivatives on 6 different models of laptops in 2015 and got wireless working on all of them within 10 minutes.
>>
File: Up_dog.jpg (12 KB, 380x405) Image search: [Google]
Up_dog.jpg
12 KB, 380x405
>>51709646
>>
>>51710105
You can do all that same shit to Windows too though.
>>
Why do you idiots reply to an obvious paid troll?
>>
File: 1380402447405.png (52 KB, 470x423) Image search: [Google]
1380402447405.png
52 KB, 470x423
>>51710928
>expand their knowledge on how computers work.
Like CPU work cycles and so on?

lol no, you don't.

You expand your limits for handling bullshit, and learn a few things about whats visible for the user in a operating system.

Just because you follow some guide to compile your "own" kernel and install stuff on top of it, doesn't make you magically understand how a modern computer works.
>>
>>51711895
Ooh I got one!
>run sshd on non default port to outsmart le hackerman
>>
>>51712029
This to be honest, family.
>>
>>51713807
Hearing freetards drone on about how they're "learning to computer" by untangling some dependency fuck up in pacman or struggling with configuring some linuxism that's broken by design, is truly the toppest of keks.
>>
>trying to get work done
I don't know how you wouldn't be able to do that, in fact, having a better window manager makes it easier to work on linux.
>trying to work on a project
Depends on the project but it is easier to install the right tools on linux (if they exist)
More applications have support for a file being updated in the background so it is easier to collaborate with people.
>trying to be a normal member of society
Some times you might decline to install an application because it is not there, but you can still socialize and stuff.
It is the equivalent to when normies say "I don't know how"
>trying to enjoy entertaiment in any way
native support for netflix, a selection of steam games and there is even support for a games not even written for the OS.

The system is useable for people who wants to use a gui for everything, but a lot more powerful if you want to toy with scripting and making the system optimized for the task you do a lot.
>>
File: lintop2015.png (233 KB, 766x1722) Image search: [Google]
lintop2015.png
233 KB, 766x1722
Yeah desktop is shitty compared to OS X and Windows but it's still great for severs since it's fairly easy, free/cheap and great amount of info out there.
>>
File: 4444444444.jpg (10 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
4444444444.jpg
10 KB, 300x250
>>51712011
>so they have to restort to a walled garden environment like noobuntu

I'd never thought about it like this before.
Linux distros are quite literally safe space playpens you put children in to stop them from braking shit or themselves.
Every now and then one gets out and grabs a bottle of bleach (source code) but can't break the child safety lock (compiler errors).
>>
>>51714480
>There's an incredible amount of regressions in the kernel...
If they can't even get the first sentence right, why the fuck would you expect anyone to read that dumb rant.
>>
>>51709691

>jetbrains

My niggah. Idea is like 100x better that eclipse. Also do you use ultimate edition ? My license is about to expire and i really dont how to get one in linux.
>>
>>51711603

aaand /thread.
>>
>>51711603
Also, blame the master not the tool.
>>
File: 8DmswLW.png (102 KB, 762x572) Image search: [Google]
8DmswLW.png
102 KB, 762x572
>>51709646
Nice copypasta, memelord.
>>
>>51710849
>Windows
>>control panel
>>programs and features
>>find program in list
>>uninstall
>>done
>implying

Also:
>can't into sudo apt-get autoremove
>>
>>51711465
Topkek
>>
>>51715207
>done
>implying
KEK
>>
>>51713807
>>51713987
underrated
>>
File: 857345859387.gif (2 MB, 295x254) Image search: [Google]
857345859387.gif
2 MB, 295x254
>>51711471
>worlds most advanced cli
>>
>>51709646
I tryed linux for some time, after some weeks of solving bugs and hardware incompatibilities I realized there were no actual reason to complicate my life, beside muh freedumbs.
>>
Debian Stable here since 1999. Everything just works.

Trying to get work done? Yes
Trying to work on a project? Yes
Trying to be a normal member of society? Yes
Trying to enjoy entertainment in any way? Yes

Just my 2 cents OP.
>>
>>51709711
Stfu
>>
>>51709646
>After using Linux for damn near 10 minutes now, I fucking quit.
Fixed your typo which obviously caused some drama in this thread. Be more careful in the future!
>>
>>51709646

nice pasta faggot.
>>
File: 1348062698187.gif (2 MB, 328x217) Image search: [Google]
1348062698187.gif
2 MB, 328x217
>>51709646
After using Windows for damn near 10 years now, I fucking quit. I'm done. Windows is the equivalent of the car in your garage that you restore, but it's unreliable for virtually everything.

Trying to get work done? Nope
Trying to work on a project? Nope
Trying to be a normal member of society? Nope

The only thing that Windows has going for it is better third party support. But if you're not using Notepad/Notepad++, you might as well fucking kill yourself. /g/ay will preach about "muh games," but let's be serious -- Windows doesn't has the exclusivity anymore.

That's my 2 cents. Windows can fuck off. Pic related.
>>
>>51712011
>walled garden environment like noobuntu
wut?
>>
>>51716310
more like butthurt
>>
>>51709740
The butterflies will hear you.
>>
>>51712062
Windows is only ahead of the market share in the consumer category. Most large systems and servers are Linux.
>>
I use Trisquel on my laptop on a daily basis.

Use Libreoffice or LaTeX for documents.
mpv for videos, anime, and catching up on mlp.
handbrake for ripping
Can run playstion and SNES emulators just fine and freedoom.

I love it.
>>
File: 1449324990423.png (7 KB, 443x376) Image search: [Google]
1449324990423.png
7 KB, 443x376
>>51710849
Lets install an application:

Windows
>There's no a trusted repo for the most common applications and the windows store mostly has crap.
>Experienced users may not have a problem finding their software on reliable sources but people who just bought their computer without knowing anything gets fucked by pishing thus artificially creating a market for antivirus which is like using an axe where a scalpel is needed.
>Installation of any program is very slow because practically everything is bundled in the installed just because windows doesn't have any control of what is installed in the system.

Linux
>There's trusted repos with thousands of useful software without ads or shady TOS.
>Both experienced users and novel users can get with safety their software from these repos from a gui installed by default (if they want) because just breaching a repo and faking signed packages are huge filters.
>if something is not in the repo adding an external repo is at worst as risky as installing something on windows by googling it but it has the advantage that you get updates automatically without running a background process for every program.
>Installing is fast because the package manager has a database of what is installed and don't install it again if it was installed.
>"and it wants to install qt or gtk libraries even if you don't have a gui installed"
>if something depends on a graphical toolkit is because is because it obviously needs to run in a graphical environment dude.

Lets uninstall an application:

Windows:

Uninstalling programs on windows is a huge pita, you need to uninstall every program one by one, is very slow and some big programs like visual studio are very hard to uninstall completely.

Linux

>remove package with package manager.
>if you need to uninstall multiple packages you can specify all of them at once.
>If you want to delete unused packages you can do it automatically as some people here already pointed
>>
>>51718501
I like how on Windows people recommend a third party software for uninstalling multiple programs
>>
>>51718566
I always thought this was a meme.
But really, Windows should learn with Linux how to install and uninstall programs/packages.
>>
>>51718591
They really need a good package manager or just take from a GPL'd package manager already there.
>>
But mpd is the best music player there is and watching videos on linux is god tier
>>
>>51709646
To be honest, even I feel it that way. Only reason I keep using it is muh, Unix. Recently i have thought about moving to OSX because it's basically Linux with better app support. To many app developers Linux doesn't even exist. I should start saving my money for OSX
>>
>>51709740
It's available for all platforms. So no point about it. Also unless you are some lisp programmer who no one employs these days, there's no point in using it.
>>
>>51714575
Probably one of the most retarded things I've read on /g/ in a while
>>
>>51712029
I've had optimus on my laptop for years without any issues.

>Plus you have to deal with freetarded spergs, no documentation and weird work arounds that all require terminal input that you copy pasted from some shady shitskin that barely speaks english, which ends up not working anyways.
Whereas on windows you're told to reboot your computer a million times and do useless shit like unpluging it from the wall and trying again.

>Linux is just such a fucking chore to maintain.
It's not at all. Learn how to use a computer.
>>
Linux is good if you dont want to do anything with your PC

- no Photoshop (GIMP doesnt even have the functionality of decade old CS2)
- no useful CAD software
- abandoned halfassed programs everywhere because the dev found a proper job so he doesnt have to waste his time programming literally for free
- no Adobe Suite
- no Word, Excel, PP and everything else from MS Office
- little to AAA games
- lack of quality control which means you either have to read a novel like in Arch or Gentoo, or it is unnecessarily cumbersome like Debian, or completely bugged if you have a somewhat "exotic" hardware like things that are younger than 5 years (Ubuntu, Fedora)
- lack of devs, which leads to bugs being triaged all the time or even grandfathered down for years
- too many distros, all lacking manpower and suffering from NIH
- no dynamically linked apps, so you can't install 2 versions of the same app without running into massive trouble
- no drivers, and those that are there, are often broken and lack the functionality of Windows drivers

The only Linux I can recommend is Android. That works at least.
>>
>>51719038
>Linux is good if you dont want to do anything with your PC
Stopped reading there
>>
>>51719038
If you gonna bait at least don't make it so obvious.
>>
File: 1447769372726.jpg (43 KB, 450x675) Image search: [Google]
1447769372726.jpg
43 KB, 450x675
Linux
>Trying to get work done?
>>Start computer.
>>Press 3 hotkeys
>>Start working on project
>Trying to work on a project?
>>cd project
>>git pull
>>vim file.c
>> esc :wqa
>>git commit . -m "patch some obscure shitty bug the windows guy introduced."
>>git push origin master
>Trying to be a normal member of society?
>>kek
>Trying to enjoy entertainment in any way?
>>kek

Windows
>Trying to get work done?
>>Start computer. Wait 10 minutes for it to get usable
>>click
>>click
>>"Something happened :("
>Trying to work on a project?
>>Google://version control systems in windows
>>all of them have shitty integration
>>download a windows client
>>get it to run in an hour
>>not all functionality supported
>>shitty new lines
>>everybody on the team hates your code
>Trying to be a normal member of society?
>>kek
>Trying to enjoy entertainment in any way?
>>kek
>>
Probably bait, but let's see:

If you were a retard, this would be correct.

My girlfriend would beg to differ, but then again not being a normie does not mean you have to be a creep.

>Trying to enjoy entertainment in any way? Nope

Granted, some games and apps might no be available for Linux, big deal, I thought you wanted to get shit done.

If you don't value your freedom, perhaps you don't deserve it.
>>
>>51719038
Fuck off mate there is loads of fun stuff you can do when running GNU/Linux as a desktop OS:

* Pretend that the difficulty of use and the incomprehensibility of commands inherent in Lunix is actually a badge of honor.
* Look at ugly, distorted fonts in your browser and on any other application you might want to run
* Reformat and install another distribution. (People have been known to do this continuously for weeks. Hint: they all suck. Stop wasting your time.)
* Watch a console display error messages.
* Convince yourself that Open Office is "just as good" as Microsoft Office.
* Read countless manuals to do the simplest of tasks. And still fail
* Say you use Lunix (which will get your ass kicked, even by other Lunix users.)
* Think of ways at work to bring up the subject of how you use Lunix, because the penguin thing didn't work.
* Fail to realize that, penguin or not, noone gives a fuck about what operating system you use.
* Eat KFC chicken around the clock.
* Manually edit config files.
* Run a virtual instance of Windows so you can play games, while at the same time saying how much you hate Microsoft.
* Argue that KDE is better than GNOME.
* Argue that GNOME is better than KDE.
* Argue that both GNOME and KDE are inferior to your chosen environment.
* Develop carpal tunnel from keyboard usage between bouts of excessive self-pleasure borne out of social-retardation.
* Depend on easy to use programs like vi.
* Try to learn how to do simple tasks in emacs, eventually using notepad to complete the same task.
* Keep your virginity.
* Be a badass non-conformist.
* Never get viruses, ever, like how a virgin never gets STDs.
* Graphically chart the shrinkage of your penis over time with bundled, GPL'd software such as GNUPlot. This is a highly requested feature among lunix users.
* Discussing the awesome non-ntfs filesystems you can use with lunix, for example one written by a convicted murderer.
>>
>>51719665
For such a long post, you didn't really say much of anything
>>
File: 1448648801659.jpg (109 KB, 540x625) Image search: [Google]
1448648801659.jpg
109 KB, 540x625
>>51719734
that's windows resource management for you my friend
>>
>>51719633
>My girlfriend would beg to differ
come on mate
>>
>>51709646
Get shit done every day.

Still getting shit done every day.

Ah, you mean someone that fits in with the rest of the lube-job sheep? Sure. I can enjoy a nice wine and still yak at a holiday party like anyone else.

>Trying to enjoy entertainment in any way? Nope
Like what? Oh, you mean that dain bramage bullshit that you're fed from corporate media whores.

Fuck off, spaz. Go back to sucking cock for a nickel a go.
>>
File: neet.png (38 KB, 400x450) Image search: [Google]
neet.png
38 KB, 400x450
B-but anyone really works here?
>>
>>51719862

I do, I work your mom all the week.
>>
>>51719665
>Develop carpal tunnel from keyboard usage
Stopped reading. Actually the biggest factor nowadays behind carpal tunnel and RSI is mouse usage.
>>
>>51719665
>* Pretend that the difficulty of use and the incomprehensibility of commands inherent in Lunix is actually a badge of honor.
How about we not give a shit?
>* Look at ugly, distorted fonts in your browser and on any other application you might want to run
I suspect you're confusing your font rendering with the hairy asshole you just fucked.
>* Reformat and install another distribution. (People have been known to do this continuously for weeks. Hint: they all suck. Stop wasting your time.)
I don't do distros.
>* Convince yourself that Open Office is "just as good" as Microsoft Office.
Microsoft Office has sucked donkeys since 2007.
>* Say you use Lunix (which will get your ass kicked, even by other Lunix users.)
That's like saying you use Windows, and still thinking you don't look like an idiot.
>* Manually edit config files.
Ah, and I'm not already doing this to broken device driver files in Windows?
>* Run a virtual instance of Windows so you can play games, while at the same time saying how much you hate Microsoft.
I already have a full install for stupid games; I'm actually getting tired of them.
>* Develop carpal tunnel from keyboard usage between bouts of excessive self-pleasure borne out of social-retardation.
Not my problem that you were stupid enough to not get an ergo keyboard, and your install has nothing to do with it.
>* Depend on easy to use programs like vi. >* Try to learn how to do simple tasks in emacs, eventually using notepad to complete the same task.
nano, my bitch.
>* Keep your virginity.
Lost it at 16.
>* Be a badass non-conformist.
>* Graphically chart the shrinkage of your penis over time with bundled, GPL'd software such as GNUPlot. This is a highly requested feature among lunix users.
I've got actual working being done, shithead.
>* Discussing the awesome non-ntfs filesystems you can use with lunix, for example one written by a convicted murderer.
T'so killed someone? Say it isn't so!

0/10, this troll sucks ass.
>>
>>51709688
>Ubuntu
fucking pleb
>>
>>51709707
Allow me to disagree: all my machines runs Linux except for my NAS/SAN that runs freebsd. What I do with them is all an average user does (browsing, videogames, downloading movies and videos) plus some virtualization (KVM now but planning to move to xen) and some resource intensive operations like encoding/decoding of video and audio files.
It has been now 6 years that I stopped using windows completely at home and I can do exactly the same things I did before.
If you know, or want to know to a certain extent, how an operating system works then Linux is good for you.
Obviously there are some downsides too: poor to no support of obscure hardware (debatable: lots of time I've seen obscure hardware working partially - read without all extra features - using some generic drivers), steep learning curve of you have no clue a computer works, some software you might need is not maintained anymore or packaged with your distro which means you have to get it yourself and patch any security flaws you might find or make it work in a new environment.
As everything else, the more control you have over something, the better you should know it.
If you feel more comfortable using Windows then go back to your environment and stop making useless whining post on a Chinese cartoon imageboard.
>>
>>51720117
>>51710162
nice meme my favorite linux distros are
Ubuntu and flavors
centOS
Fedora
mint
>>
Hp g6 here with amd a10 apu. Wishing I knew a good distro for it :/
>>
>>51721496
What do you consider to be a good distro?

I would install Arch with Architect. Newer kernels usually mean that hardware errors have finally been fixed (if that's what you're worried about). I guess you could use another distro and just compile a newer kernel yourself. Arch is pretty good though, you might want to give it a chance.
>>
>>51713713
If you give me some track to do that with windows i will very thanksfull
>>
>>51709646
I game on linux, suck my balls
>nice bait
>>
>>51709691
apt-get install steam

>games
>>
>>51719665
wow, this is how windows users actually feels?
>>
>>51722053
Well not all of them, just the ones who are easily mind controlled.
>>
>>51719978
wow youre cool
>>
>>51712060
For general internet use I've never had problems with linux on a laptop.

Plus most distros come with way better software than windows (for general use).
>>
>>51720117
>ease of use is a bad thing

What are you going to do when you finally move out of mom's basement and get a job, anon? Your boss won't be happy with you spending half the day recompiling your kernel.
>>
>>51710324
games in 2015 suck
games that ARE worth playing are playable in linux
>>
>>51713807
this. any retard can learn to type into the terminal but guess what? no one givesa fuck
>>
>>51720117
underage arch user detected

>>51721496
anything that has a kernel version >= 3.19
>>
>>51709646
Nice b8 Sanjeet
>>
>>51709983
http://nask.co/see/8Is9gmuwnx
>>
>>51710101
wifi USB adapters are like $10 or less
>>
>>51710861
all you had to do was install the realtek package.
>>
Just because you've been using Linux for a week doesn't make you a "veteren". I bet your running Mint as well.. Massive faggot
>>
>>51709646
Legit

Only no life autists will argue with you, but you know the truth.
>>
>>51726572
b-but you're a no life autist and you're agreeing with him, doesn't that contradicts your argument?
>>
>>51726782
autist detected
>>
>>51721828
http://nanami-tan.info
>>
>>51719038
>GUYS, WHAT'S WINE?????
Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.