[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I get one of those little USB port wireless internet adapters,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 71hZOkiCArL._SL1280_.jpg (131 KB, 1055x1280) Image search: [Google]
71hZOkiCArL._SL1280_.jpg
131 KB, 1055x1280
Should I get one of those little USB port wireless internet adapters, or get a real deal? My internet speed maxes out at like 800 KB a second, so I don't need a very good adapter honestly.
>>
Actually I honestly don't know the difference between them.
>>
>>51662190
a PCIe one will be faster
>>
If you figure about 80% packet loss, you still will be fine with 6 Mbps connection. If you don't need the range of better antennas, then go for the cheap USB transceiver.
>>
>>51662280
I just found out that TP link has some pretty affordable PCIe adapters, would that be better?
>>
>>51662298
How far away is your wireless router / AP?
>>
>>51662298
usb adapters can sometimes be a little finicky and usually break easier, so don't buy a shit one.

however, a usb card will probably give you better range on your wifi because it has an external antenna.

pci will take a little bit more effort to install, but it will probably be more consistent.
>>
>>51662327
About 20 feet or so, halfway across my small house. It's a few rooms away.

I would just put it in my room and use an ethernet cable but the phone jack in my room doesn't work.
>>
Just get whatever. I'd recommend a usb one and a usb extension cord so you can move it around for a better signal.
>>
>>51662348
I prefer USB myself. I've used them over that kind of range before.
>>
>>51662373
Did they ever give you issues like dropping connection or other problems?
>>
>>51662388
If your cooking a burrito in the microwave oven with a really shitty door seal, then yeah. You could have that kind of problem with PCIe or USB. The point is that you don't probably NEED the PCIe since you said you only get 800k/sec throughput anyway. USB is easier cause you don't have to rip your machine apart and you could transfer the USB to another device like laptop. Either one will work.
>>
>>51662298
TP link ones are shit.
Have two of them and get nothing but connection drops and bad driver support.
>>
>>51662348
Just buy a fucking cable.
>>
>>51662883
There are wireless cables? Does monoprice have any?
>>
>>51663014
>Wireless
>Cable

Anyone know of some good USB adapters? Wired isn't an option for me.
>>
get a wallplug, or network card which supports AC
>>
>>51662190
Get a "real" PCI-e one.
You'll get better signal range and better throughput in the case you ever do get better internet.

I was running an el-cheapo ASUS PCE-N16 which was ok, but I recently upgraded to a TP-Link Archer C9E and the difference is ridiculous, probably mostly thanks to the 5GHz support, but just in general connection quality is much better.
>>
File: wifi-extender.jpg (35 KB, 331x204) Image search: [Google]
wifi-extender.jpg
35 KB, 331x204
Maybe get one of this and plug it half way from your PC to router
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.