[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: jerry1.jpg (38 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
jerry1.jpg
38 KB, 600x336
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Old Thread: >>51626732

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
DO NOT BUMP, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

take at least 10 seconds to google first
read the sticky before posting >>39894014

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
First for Install Gentoo.
>>
>>51636997
See >>51637161
Thanks.
>>
>>51637115
just bought new ram. is it safe to mix this ram with my old ram even though they arent the same MHz?
>>
>>51637179
it'll be fine, just the faster ram will downclock to match the slower ram
>>
>>51637179
You can, yes. Wouldn't recommend. It will bring the one with higher MHZ down lower.
>>
File: 1447991754110.jpg (98 KB, 1324x560) Image search: [Google]
1447991754110.jpg
98 KB, 1324x560
Are Android streaming boxes just a meme or do they have a decent use?
>>
File: Spaghetti.webm (1 MB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Spaghetti.webm
1 MB, 480x480
Why do my micro SD cards always give me shitty read/write speeds? I don't get it, I've tested this in multiple devices and whilst it should get 80mbps (up to), I'm getting 20. It's going directly into my tablet. I've checked the speeds on other devices using the provided SD Card Reader and still it just reports around 20.

It's not fake or some chink shit, it's a Samsung Evo 128GB. Even my previous card gave me shitty speeds but I didn't care then. This time the only reason I shelled out extra was for the speed.

What are optimal test conditions for a Micro SD card? I don't want to go through the hassle of returning this only for the next one to be the same
>>
>>51637301

20MB/s is pretty much the cap speed for USB 2.0 controllers
>>
>>51637284
they're pretty decent if you get one that's compatible with kodi(what used to be xbmc)
>>
>>51637284

Get an RPi
>>
>>51637433
worst advice ever
>>
If I overclock my CPU and RAM, should I lock BCLK to 100mhz to ensure it doesn't go out of spec? And what should I use for the BCLK/PCIE Ratio: Auto, 1.0, 1.25, 1.67, or 2.5?
>>
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hNMYkL
I all ready have an AIO cooler, GPU, 500w PSU and SSD/HDD. Would /g/ make any changes to the rest of the parts?
I'm a CS student and plan on using the PC for uni work.
>>
File: node.jpg (248 KB, 1500x1110) Image search: [Google]
node.jpg
248 KB, 1500x1110
>>51637547
2666mhz ram
should cost like extra sterling and it still add some tiny benefit
after that its minuscule while the price rises rapidly

and I more prefer node304 case, but its all personal preference
>>
File: spaghetti (2).webm (587 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
spaghetti (2).webm
587 KB, 720x404
>>51637351
Forgive me if I'm being a bit stupid here, but what do you mean by USB 2.0 controllers? Is my Micro SD card slot and my Laptop/PC's SD card slot an example of that?

Don't think I have a USB Micro SD card reader so haven't been able to test it with a USB 3.0 port
>>
>>51637451

An RPi with IR receiver is a cheap and good general purpose mediabox. Not sure how it's bad advice unless you're a visualphile jerker who needs 4k hi10P output.
>>
>>51637115
how long do your guys' cases last you?
>>
>>51637631
>we gon need FIFA goal line tech
>>
>>51637618
Thanks man
I'll consider that case, It's a little smaller than the 250d
>>
Would an older Nvidia with OpenGL 3.3 support work for Vulkan? That looks like the only significant thing to have happened in grapix for ages.
>>
Any recommendations for antivirs with realtime protection which aren't free but possible to get free?

I've used eset smart security 8 with username and password from the internet and eset smart security 9 with activationkey after that.
But neither of them seems to work lately and I don't want to switch to some freeware which provides a fraction of 'security' and unnecessarily wastes ressources.
>>
>>51637752

Ignore the RAM speed, it literally makes no difference.
>>
>>51637831
Microsoft Security Essentials or Malware Bytes bundled with CommonSense2012-2015 versions are compatible
>>
>>51637874
Is MSE even a thing still? I thought it was just bundled with Windows Defender or whatever in Win8/10
>>
>>51637886

Indeed it is, and it works fine.
>>
Anyone else get hesitation before buying parts for new PC? I'm about to build my first one but I still keep putting off buying the parts. ;_;
>>
How do you get apps to install to the SD card by default on Android? I'm using a Moto G 3rd Gen.
>>
File: The Jungle Book.jpg (55 KB, 335x475) Image search: [Google]
The Jungle Book.jpg
55 KB, 335x475
I've decided to start a YouTube channel. What is a /g/-tier webcam? My laptop does not have one, and I was looking primarily for stand-alones. Only requirement is that it gets 1080p.

I'll get a microphone later, but there's already a set I'd like for that.
>>
Can anyone recommend a good PSU?
>i5 4960k, Z97, R9 390
>>
>>51637984
random seasonic 550W

>>51637934
not anymore, not when you got the knowledge and experience
but years ago I spend 10s of hours making excels sheets and graphs analyzing reviews...

>>51637831
duh, eset copy paste

once again Public Service Announcment
how to get payed solution AntiVirus for free without risking malware

- download Eset NOD32, its pure antivirus, no bundled shit
- enable 30 days free trial
- when it ends, google "eset trial keys"
- get another one, lasting 1-3 months

these keys can be used by multiple users so no, they are not taken... they just run out

do this few times a year and enjoy quality, very light AV, where you are not bothered by advertisements or some deep entanglement in to the system bullshit. Also it has lowest rate of false positives, so no fucking up your cracks and activation tools.
-----------
but you should go linux anyway, windows on dualboot for games only
>>
>>51637934

I used to do a lot of research, but I've built so many now and shitposted so many build threads I instinctively know what to get right off the bat andk now I won't regret it.
>>
Do people actually use Gentoo?
>>
File: filth.jpg (13 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
filth.jpg
13 KB, 450x450
Are there any decent (cheap) mini PCs out there? I am thinking about getting one for the uni dorm, just for anime and productivity.
>>
>>51638184

Most Dells are decent for the price, just order a pre-built off Newegg for whatever your price range is.
>>
When are AMD going to fix their fan bullshit?
>>
>>51637984
>>51638055
Thanks. Also a good sub £250 monitor?
>>
>>51638341

Was fixed 2 days ago.
>>
I'm about to backup all my movies onto an ext hd and I'm just paranoid.

Do failing hard drives give ample signs and time for me to replace them? Are there programs that could monitor and alarm me once I should replace it?

I just don't want to be in a situation where I'm storing all my stuff to a toilet that is eventually going to be flushed out of nowhere.
>>
>>51638184
Alternatively you could just build something in a tiny case. Would probably save you a bit, too, and you can finetune you choice to your preferences.
>>
I need help

I was installing arch and got stuck at the repositories part.

I can also no longer ping to google, but I still have Internet access on other devices.

What did I do wrong it worked earlier
>>
How much do youguys think I could sell my IMac for in UK? I realised I made a mistake so no memes pls.

>21.5" Late 2012
>Includes keyboard, mouse, optical drive
>Like new
>1 year Norton security code

£700?
>>
>>51638374
there's SMART tests you can periodically run, but it's not perfect
if you don't want to lose the data, have more than one copy
for example, mirror that hdd with another hdd, that way, if one dies, you don't lose any data, and you just need to replace the dead one and mirror your data again
>>
I want to build a cheap computer for no more than 350 bucks.
It's going to run some Linux distro but I haven't decided which yet but the computer will be for every day use, shitposting, animu hoarding and vaporwave listening, typical shit like that.

I haven't built a pc before, is there anything I should look out for?
Shit I should save money on or shit I definitely shouldn't skimp out on?
>>
>>51638450

Swindle an old lady in to buying one. Say if you get one in the store you would have to pay twice as much
>>
>>51638478
Look out for the fugiowakis
>>
Poorfag here, building on a budget:

*i3 4170
*750ti or 950?
*I have no idea about what motherboard should I buy (besides it being LGA1150)
*Sticking to 8GB RAM for now, should I get 2x4GB or 2x8GB? is 1600 Mhz enough?

I already have an HDD and a PSU.

Bear in mind that prices are absolute bullshit here. GTX 980Ti is 1800USD rofl
>>
File: large.jpg (207 KB, 500x488) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
207 KB, 500x488
>>51638484
>2000
>>
currently have a A8-3850 with a r7-260, got offered a g3258 with mobo for 80€.
gaming is really shitty right now (not the newest titles) should I upgrade?
>>
I tried to install a new GPU so I took the old one out and only pulled those plugs and a few more out. I found out it didn't fit so I put things back together and now it won't boot. I get a green light on the MB and it will flash a red light once near the CPU. I assume it's the CPU but I didn't touch it. Any ideas?
>>
File: samurai-sunset-art.jpg (382 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
samurai-sunset-art.jpg
382 KB, 1024x1024
How much bandwidth does 4chan use?
I was kicked off apartment wifi but allowed back on, albeit on thin ice.
Am I good to open images and webms? I was kicked off because I was downloading a bunch of shit. If I literally just use 4chan will I be good?
>>
in light of my failing hdd, i bought a 500gb ssd

how do i move my os onto it?
>>
What's a safe website to download Android APKs from? Only legit looking one is APKMirror, but they're missing a ton. I got a Fire so I'm stucking withing the Amazon Appstore. I can side load Android apps just fine though except for a random couple, Marvel Unlimited being one of them.

I'm looking for an older version, nto the latest.
>>
>>51638808
weebums add up quick.
>>
File: 7bmU6N4.jpg (143 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
7bmU6N4.jpg
143 KB, 1920x1080
Can I setup dual monitors running one from my GPU and one from my mobo?
>>
>>51639373
Tes just z
>>
if my wacom tablet wont turn on (no led light) with two usb cables (that work for a phone), nor it will in mine or in antoher computer ive tested, is the only possiblity for that the tablet simply...died?
>>
Is there an open-source RAMdisk program?
>>
>>51639394
?
>>
>>51639434
Is the cable for just power or is it for data and power? Is it usb 2.0 cable or higher? What model of wacom?
>>
>>51638820

You fresh install like a sane person. Copy important files over manually.
>>
File: CTTiGj_UEAEhKLS.jpg (34 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
CTTiGj_UEAEhKLS.jpg
34 KB, 400x600
>>51637115
What Android calender/reminder app do you use?

bonus points for FOSS

Doesn't need to sync.
>>
>>51638808
>How much bandwidth does 4chan use?
Depends on how you use it. Images and .webm's will add up fast, but if you just browse only viewing thumbnails you won't use very much bandwidth.
>>
Best VPN service?
>>
>>51637115
I want to get a note 4 from ebay but I'm with shitty verizon. I'm mostly seeing unlocked phones, will these be compatible with verizon?

I also want to be able to root it and leave it on 4.4.4 or be able to install roms. Is that possible with a verizon note 4?
>>
What to use for back-end? Language and frameworks.
Also what are good frameworks for front-end?
>>
hey guys, I'm trying to play the new Dwarf Fortress update on arch and when I run df (using ./df) it tells me that file ./libs/Dwarf_Fortress doesn't exist. Zshell and bash also tell me that it doesn't exist, but when I use ls or a file manager I can clearly see it. Do you know what's going on with that?
>>
>>51639506
a bamboo one. its a cable that worked before with the tablet, i dont know what model it is. its an old tablet, but it worked literally like 2 weeks ago with this same cable. left it on my closet, took it out today, and no response. how can things go bad like that? maybe if i had dropped it but this is frustrating...

its one cable for everything so i suppose data and power.
>>
>>51639545
mullvad
>>
>>51639548
check the rom and root scene for your device at xda.
>>
What's the best music player for android lollipop?

Must be:
-> Lightweight, but autism-tier lightweight isn't necessary
-> able to play .flac

Also, what's the best video player for android?

Must be:
-> Lightweight, but autism-tier lightweight isn't necessary
-> able to play .mkv
>>
>>51637974
Get a cheap DSLR + monopod. A lens will instantly improve your perceived production value.
>>
When I turned my computer on yesterday, it reached the loading screen for Windows, then shut down by itself. I immediately decided to switch out the PSU with a spare (non-modular with lower rated wattage) PSU without any further testing, just to be safe. I guess I just had a bad feeling about the power supply, since I hadn't ever seen my computer shutdown without my input. This problem hasn't reoccurred since I switched to the spare power supply, but I still don't know if the other power supply is faulty, or if there might have been some other cause for the shutdown. If I reinstall the other power supply, would there be a risk that it might damage other components? For what it's worth, the power supply that I removed is an OCZ ModXStream and it's almost 6 years old now.
>>
>>51639741
video: mx player
audio: in my opinion, shuttle but there are probably better ones
>>
File: grla.jpg (18 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
grla.jpg
18 KB, 450x450
>>51639750
Did I say monopod? I meant gorillapod.
>>
File: 1424799464197.png (194 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1424799464197.png
194 KB, 500x375
I have an old machine that can wake on lan but only if it was turned of at the S4 ACPI state (hibernate). I want to use it as a common file server for me and my family. The problem is I can't hibernate the machine, i've tried with pm-utils, uswsusp, with the kernel utilities and non of them have been worked, so my next step is to try tuxonice, but I haven't found any instructions on how to install the patched kernel, and i'm too stupid to figure it out. How can I go and install the oti kernel and make it work?
In the case It does not work either, can i emulate the S4 call to bios so it can wol even if it's completely turned off?
Everything works just fine in windows but I am sickened of it, fuck, I don't want to turn back to that shit.

Thanks a lot. and sorry to repost, other one was archived.
>>
>>51639763
Will MX Player work out of the box with my chinese cartoons that have subtitles?
>>
>>51639556
If you're running windows, go to the control panel and see if you can find it in the device managers. From there you can activate it or update the drivers.
You could also try leaving it plugged in and rebooting.
>>
>>51639790

Maybe a little of configuration but if the subs are enbeded it should work just fine.
>>
Is DQDirect.com a legit site?

It just looks so primitive. I know judging based on site designs is an archaic thing to do, but it does have a hotline and a geotrust certificate.

It sells refurbished stuff and there was a couple deals I wanted.

But at the same time, I don't want to give my credit card to some weird site.

Anyone have any more information on these guys? Apparently they have stellar reviews for their store.
>>
>>51637115
im looking at some ssd[s
should i get v300 (kingston) or Samsung 850 Evo
also, should i get one 250gb ssd or raid two 120 ones?
in my country i can get a V300 240gb for the price of one 120gb 850 Evo, never used/hard ssd speeds so i dont know about 500m/b read speeds...
>>
File: Ewan-McGregor.jpg (279 KB, 914x1375) Image search: [Google]
Ewan-McGregor.jpg
279 KB, 914x1375
How can I work out how long my algorithm will take?

I'm working on a program to solve a maths problem. It will likely take several weeks for the program to find a solution because it involves very large numbers (millions of digits/ megabytes per number).

I'm going to boot up an old PC and have it do the task, but I'd like to know how long the program should take before I run it.

On another note, are there any good ways of dealing with large numbers? At the moment I'm using C++ and Boost. Was wondering if maybe a GPU could help but I really don't know enough about hardware to tell.

Help?
>>
>>51638808
Use a debugger and check; fiddler, even wireshark will tell you but in extreme detail.

There are monitoring tools for wifi use.
>>
okay /g/uys this isn't worth its own thread so ill post it here.
>need a new monitor
>google HDMI capable Monitor
>all tiny and expensive
>google HDMI tv
>40", HDMI, 1080p, Half Price
Why shouldn't i just buy a TV with the proper hook ups for my computer monitor, and then use one screen for all my shit? I can plug in my consoles too, and my Blue-ray...
>>
>>51639886
You need to determine what kind of computation it is doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_complexity_of_mathematical_operations

First, determine what it would be classified as in Big O notation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation

From this, you can how the time of your algorithm is going to behave as you approach a certain value for time. You may even be able to adjust your algorithm accordingly.

A GPU would help, but if you don't know GPU programming then it's not going to help much.

The thing that would help the most for you right now is threading, if you're aware of how to create threads and how to split your algorithm up into independent sections for threading.
>>
File: landfill-cropped-blog-1.jpg (83 KB, 600x275) Image search: [Google]
landfill-cropped-blog-1.jpg
83 KB, 600x275
/g/, why would anyone EVER use a third party browser, office suite, file manager, etc for Android? Other than its size, resources, and quirks, why do you guys prefer them? And how do you choose your favorites?
>>
>>51639777
not enough context, I'm a *nix sys admin and you're posting funky shit that doesn't mix.

Rebuild your version and install drivers for everything you have, you will be able to hibernate, otherwise fucking use Windows.
>>
>>51639970

I need a file manager with root.
I need an office suite which works offline.
I need a browser that isn't bloated botnet
>>
>>51639741
mx for video is good and plays mkv
vanilla for music is outstanding and plays flac and is foss
>>
>>51639954
You seem to have made your mind up.

40" is fucking huge so enjoy struggling to read text, having a resolution not to scale. Also, sitting 6 feet away just to see the screen.

Not to mention poor backlighting.
>>
>>51639435
AMD has a ramdisk program that's not bad, but it's gratis not libre.
>>
How would you pronounce DDoS? Dee-doss? just doss?
>>
>>51639955

Thanks. Yes I'm aware of/ have used threading before. I don't really know much about GPU programming but I could port the fairly simple program to OpenCL or something unless it requires a massive upheaval of my understanding (does it?). I've done work with OpenGL, but I know it's not the same thing.
>>
File: wielebny666.jpg (78 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
wielebny666.jpg
78 KB, 600x450
When should and when shouldn't I use "var" when declaring variables in JavaScript?
>>
>>51640081
the former
>>
>>51640096

Use it when declaring your variable.

Don't use it when reassigning/initializing your variable.
>>
>>51640084
> I don't really know much about GPU programming but I could port the fairly simple program to OpenCL or something unless it requires a massive upheaval of my understanding (does it?)

My knowledge ends there. I wouldn't even know where to tell you to go look to resolve that problem.

I do know that if you're expecting OpenCL to function similarly to a C-like language, you're going to have problems. OpenCL is meant specifically for programs that benefit from parallel computing.

I mean, if you put it that way, then sure, I wouldn't see why not.
>>
>>51639954
I do just this, but I shitpost from my bed far away. If you're sitting up close you're going to be craning your head to see everything and the light is blinding unless you dim it. Also consider pixel density. Plugging and unplugging other stuff is semi-annoying but for me a non-issue.
>>
>>51639954
Most televisions have an extremely high response rate, which makes them terrible for use with a PC. Also, what this anon said >>51640059. The pixel density won't be nearly as high, so it won't "feel" as high resolution and you'll have to sit quite far back to use it.
Plus, you can connect all of those things to 99% of monitors anyway. Currently I have my PC, PS4, and WiiU connected to this monitor.

Also, it's Blu-Ray, not Blue-Ray.
>>
which sites are 'trustworthy' in purchasing from?

Stuff like Tigerdirect and newegg, but what are some other hidden gems?
>>
>>51640151
Yeah see i'm thinking about switching to a wireless keyboard set up too. Comfy shit-posting is fun.
>>
>>51639522
stock :^)
>>
File: Hitler_f9c87b_371403.jpg (42 KB, 450x365) Image search: [Google]
Hitler_f9c87b_371403.jpg
42 KB, 450x365
I messed with "update-rc.d list" and now kde requires me to $xinit startkde... without administrator privileges that can't even sleep the machine automatically. How can I start fixing it?
>>
>>51640243
as long as you aren't going to be playing many pc games I think it's a very nice setup
>>
How can I find out what email addresses are attached to my phone number?
>>
>>51640284
Don't tell me you edited the system file without making a .bak first, right?
>>
>>51640150

Thanks for your help. Seems like GPU accel is something I should explore if there's even the slightest possibility of speeding up the process. I'm not sure about multiprecision/big number support though, maybe it'll be something I have to write myself. All this after I actually sit down and figure out how long it will take with X threads. However many my old 560TI can handle.
>>
I'm using Chrome and I'm wondering if there's a way to change the white screen when you open a new tab or load a new page, I want to change it from white to black cause it blinds me when everything else I use is dark, black and easy on the eyes. Open a new tab there and you'll see the white screen before loading to whatever you've set as home, that's what I'm referring to.

Is there anyway to do this?
>>
File: wew.png (33 KB, 776x309) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
33 KB, 776x309
Any excel fags here? How would I use =rand() to grab 10 random rows from a 300 row dataset to make a smaller sample table?
>>
>>51637115
How do I delete any sort of virus/malware/whatever without the aid of anti virus software?
I just got a BRAND SPANKIN new computer, /g/uys, for about $1100, and I REALLY WANT THIS one to last for a long time.
Let me put it simply.
I've ruined the past 3-4 computers I've had due to viruses from games/porn.
Mostly porn.
As in, any guides anywhere on showing how to delete malware from your computer?
WITHOUT paying $ for a software, though.
>>
>>51637115
How hot is dangerously hot for your typical gaming CPU?
50C? 60C?
75C?
>>
>>51640420
>Using paid antivirus software.

You're a fucking idiot.

>Viruses due to games/porn.

Where the fuck do you download from? Some Russian website?

>downloading porn
>2015

Fuck me.
>>
>>51640420
Format. Reinstall.
>>
>>51640437
>mfw my shit laptop would regularly get to 170C
>>
>>51637115
Hey, /g/uys.
Assuming the ONLY PSU I would even CONSIDER getting are anything at 80+ efficiency, does it REALLY matter too much if it's bronze, gold, or platinum efficiency?
Also, if it does matter, how much so?
>>
>>51640351
accounts and sync option on android, icloud shit for ios, call service provider and ask.
>>
>>51640467
you're a liar
>>
I'm having a hell of a time finding a 4chan app that works on my 2013 Moto X. I've tried Clover and Chanu, and I can't get the captcha to work on either. Basically the pictures load, but the description of what I'm supposed to do gets cut off. Is my screen just too small?
>>
File: 1401472007622.jpg (42 KB, 600x505) Image search: [Google]
1401472007622.jpg
42 KB, 600x505
Steelseries Rival 300 or Razer DeathAdder Chroma?
>>
>>51640420
>I've ruined computers from games/porn
What the fuck

Fucking learn how technology works
>>
>>51640506
No lad I am very serious. CPU fan broke and I never could be assed to fix it
>>
>>51637632
This is what I'm using in my living room. Works great with OSMC.
>>
>>51637284
I have a shield tv. It's a may may m8 don't bite the b8 m8. It ain't safe.
>>
>>51640528
just curious, how long did your laptop last after the fan broke?
It can't have been long operating at those temps
>>
>>51640451
No shit.
But without going through all of that.
I meant delete directly, without everything else on my fucking hard drive.
>>
>>51640553
Well it still works. Just dies every 20 minutes from overheating
>>
>>51640515

Rival 300
>>
Is it possible for Steam to eventually be able to emulate Windows games so people could play Windows games on their Linux desktop?
>>
>>51640569
I see. Care to say why?
>>
>>51640449
Thanks for the help you fagget.,
I don't use paid softwrare.
And I don't download porn. I view it from xvideos and the like.
>>
>>51640574

Not if they use DirectX
>>
>>51640560
If you were capable of it you wouldn't be asking.
Format. Reinstall.
>>
>>51640526
that's what I'm here for you shit.
>>
>>51640587
>supporting kikes
>>
>>51640420
ad-blocker (ublock,umatrix)
xss stopper (referrer policy)
disable flash and java (or use noscript / umatrix)
something to remove zombie cookies (exploding cookies etc)

run every suspicious file you dl over virustotal

read the fucking wiki, there are already suggestions.
>>
>>51640574
That's more of wine's thing
>>
>>51638167
Not really, it's just a meme at this point.
>>
>>51640580

DeathAdder is a great way to end up with a broken mouse button really fast.

Yeah they're nice mice but they break A LOT.
>>
>>51639761

Does anyone know what I should do with this? I don't want to spend money if it's not necessary, but I also want to make sure the rest of the components in my computer are safe.
Should I just assume that the OCZ PSU is faulty, and replace it?
>>
>>51640597
Wow,
Isn't this the whole purpose of this goddamn thread?
Bro I know the obvious answers like software and reformatting.
I'm asking for going through the application and such to manually delete it,
>>
>>51640437
components will auto-shutdown.
>>
>>51640420
A subscription to Common Senseâ„¢ 2016 will ensure you never ruin another computer. All it costs is a bit of your time.
>>
>>51640510
overchan?
>>
>>51640437
Depends on the parts, but 50C isn't dangerous at all. You'd have to have an absurdly good cooling system to stay that low. With my card the limit is 98C, but my internal alarm for something being wrong is if things hit 80C.
>>
>>51640377
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chrome+black+new+tab
>>
what are your thoughts on this build?
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/TL8rNG
>>
>>51640510
Dashchan might work for you, but you could also just get used to the captcha system. That one wants you to click on cactuses. Typically it's not hard to figure out which one to select because it's the odd one out.
>>
>>51640620
I see. Thanks. I only really care for comfort and durability.
>>
>>51640632

You don't.

You format and reinstall. Viruses can't ruin hardware, just fucking do a clean install when infected.
>>
>>51640625
never assume anything is faulty, figure it out for sure before you replace it (unless you were going to replace the part anyway)
run some tests first to make sure
>>
>>51640515
The DeathAdder Chroma is pretty shit. The 2013 version is much better.
>>
>>51640674
Looks fine.
>>
>>51640694
>viruses cant ruin hardware
that's wrong unless you reflash your bios too.
>>
>>51640437
depends on make/model
for amd cpus ~65-70+ is really hot, i believe intel cpus have a higher 'cap'

i have my system setup to keep my amd cpu no hotter than 55, which i think gives me a reasonable balance of temperature and fan speed (noise)
>>
I got a SSD and I gotta reinstall/clone/move/something Windows 7 to the SSD so I can truly experience the meme. What's some good software for that?
>>
>>51640632
Anon, we would literally have to teach you from the ground up. Based on your posts so far, you know nothing about CS, so we would need to spend weeks training you with what to do. It's quite simply not that easy.
Just reformat.
>>
>>51640737
Your Windows 7 DVD.
>>
>>51640500
I think my chick has more than one Email and I don't have her phone. I think she's cheating on me. I found a Email may be one that gos to her I just want to find out before I confront her about it.
>>
>>51640703

But if it's on the verge of dying, can't it cause damage to other components? How could I determine that it's still safe to use?
>>
>>51640664
Shit, misread that. Thought you were talking about a GPU. Disregard this.
>>
>>51640596
>>51640615
So it's possible in some way without it being illegal?
I kind of assumed Steam doing that could get Microsoft to sue them.
>>
Yo /g/entoomen.
I have an Xbox 360 I want to fool around with.
Do you guys think it'd be possible to install gentoo on it.
>>
File: 1422196252223.png (123 KB, 320x404) Image search: [Google]
1422196252223.png
123 KB, 320x404
>>51640751
Uh, I totally lost it
>>
>>51640706
They are both shit mate.
>>
>>51640783
Currently using the DeathAdder 2013, haven't had any problem yet, plus it's incredibly comfortable.
Maybe you just treat your equipment worse?
>>
>>51640777
The WIndows 10 media creation tool. Last I heard it now supports entering your 7 key.
>>
File: 1420462876999.jpg (24 KB, 288x218) Image search: [Google]
1420462876999.jpg
24 KB, 288x218
>>51640805
I lost that too. It's funny I barely even remember buying Win7. As if I didn't at all.
I don't even have Windows 10, senpai
>>
>>51640759
yeah, it can damage the other components. From what you described, you should replace it. It's old, so it's probably on its way out.
Don't stress it too much, you can get a new power supply pretty cheap, and it's good to be sure rather than worrying about your comp all the time.
>>
>>51640753

use verify-email dt org to verify it's registered; lullar dt com to check if the email is used with anything. Otherwise social engineer her or someone else / get access to her phone.

no emails are registered to phone numbers unless its a voip service
>>
Anybody know how do android shit works?
When it updates does it just slump apks(like steam) to apps data or updates it completely removing old modules?

Also how do i design nosql document based database? do i just put the data in a document in a unique uri or there is some kind of norm like in RDMS
>>
>>51639973
Ok, I have a computer that can wol but only from hibernate and i can't make hibernate work on debian jessiee and i want to try and use the Tux on ice kernel but there is not much info on the internet, How could I go about installing TOI? I don't want to use windows anymore, is shit.
>>
>>51640878
just slumps it to a data directory that requires root. I forget the path name.
>>
File: 1282321555340.png (1 MB, 945x705) Image search: [Google]
1282321555340.png
1 MB, 945x705
>>51640737
You can make a bootable flash drive that will install windows 7. You could also get the ISO and burn a new CD and all you really need is a valid CDkey.
The program and ISO are somewhere on microsoft's website and easy to find with google.

>mfw I moved my OS to an SSD and then deactivated the old drive to format it
>I had to use rufus to rebuild the bootmgr on the SSD
Don't be like me. Follow a step by step guide.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL_HAmWQTgA

In the description it says it doesn't work on all LCD monitors. How do you know if your LCD monitor has a polarizing screen on it?
>>
File: errors.png (100 KB, 838x543) Image search: [Google]
errors.png
100 KB, 838x543
I can hear my hard-drive getting ready to kick the bucket. I lost my laptop with my backup on it, so I've been trying to make a backup ISO on a second hard-drive I found laying around. Using the Window's Back Up keeps giving me this error. I'm not sure what to do about it. Disregard the available space on the hard-drive; it's full of the failed ISO. I delete it and format the hard-drive before I run a backup attempt.

Is there a good third-party tool to use?
>>
>>51641263
rsync is good and easy to use
>>
After a day of trying various tools and combinations of hardware, I think I've finally found a way to turn illegal Windows 7 into legal Windows 10 pro.

If I do, I'll write a short guide on how to do it.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RnRxpg

Building a new computer, is there anything glaringly wrong with this?

Not focused on super high end gaming, just my computer is showing it's age and I think I need to start anew with everything. I don't need to buy the graphics card right away though, mine is good but not great.

And the SSD and HDD I'll change out for cheaper or better brands, I just put it there as a reminder what to pick up. RAM sticks are just in case the one I have aren't compatible (they should be, but I'm not 100%, I need to go through and check)

$1000 is my budget, but I'm focused on getting the new processor, motherboard, and case. Power supply if mine is shit too.
>>
>>51641357
good for you, I'm sure people will appreciate it

however, windows 10 is a botnet determined to take every single bit of information you ever owned and turn it into an organised file for microsoft to access at any point in time. I do not recommend using windows 10.
>>
I got a ticket for public urination the other day, will this also be a point against my driver's license? I wasn't driving at the time but I don't want my insurance to go up.
>>
>>51638820
Please don't copy it. You can clone the drive, but it's a huge pain in the dick and it never works right. Just do a fresh install.
>>
>>51641412
probably not, but it depends on where you live. local laws can differ drastically.
>>
>>51641357
you could just use daz
>>
>>51638820

Don't copy it, just install it new. It takes like at most 10 minutes on a SSD.
>>
>>51639545

>>51640680
How do you know it doesn't want pictures of water? Anyway thanks, I'll try that one.
>>
>>51641712
just so you know, you need to install the fourchan extension as well as the base apk if you want to browse the site. you could also download the othe chan extensions, but half of them are foreign
>>
What's a viable Android photo editor?
>>
noob here, can someone help me to create a table so that the output look like pic related?

<script type = "text/javascript">

document.writeln("<table border = '1'>");

for(var i = 0; i < 999; i++)
{
if (i % i == 0 && i % 1 == 0)
{
if (i%2 != 0 && i % 3 != 0 && i % 5 != 0 || i == 2 || i == 3 || i == 5)
{
document.writeln("<td>" + i + "</td>");
}
}
}

document.writeln("</table>");
</script>
>>
File: 8a9.jpg (26 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
8a9.jpg
26 KB, 600x401
Been a while since I put together a build. Want some 2nd opinions on this. It's for my grandfather who mostly uses his old computer for word and storing pictures. What does /g/ think of this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WFmFvK
>>
>>51640749
Ok fine.
I understand that.
But do you have a place I could go to read that stuff?
Like, a pdf, or a YouTube video or something?
>>
i have a 8350 oc to 4.67 and asus crosshair formula z and i get cpu temps of -128c. also i get low voltage alerts randomly from 5v, 12v, and vcore. Is the mobo kicking the bucket? PSU? Runs stable too
>>
>>51641458

Doesn't give you legal Windows 10.

>>51641394

Some people will want it for gaymen. Or in my case for my mom who does nothing interesting.

Anyhow here is the definitive Windows 10 100% valid for free guide:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things you will need:

Windows 7 Professional torrent, this specific build:
http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso.torrent

KMSpico:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/65739-KMSpico-Official-Thread

Windows Media Creation Tool:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

1. Install the Windows 7 ISO onto your drive with your preferred method. Skip entering key during installation.

2. Activate using KMSpico

3. Run Windows Update, install ALL updates and restart

4. Delete all files in
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

5. run the Media Creation Tool and select "Upgrade Now!" (important!)

6. next next etc etc until Windows 10 is installed, DONE.

7. Now that you have fully valid Windows 10, you can make your own install disks for fresh installs if you desire.
>>
File: gatchaman-03-1.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gatchaman-03-1.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>51639874
im this op

what do you think about this build?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
>>
File: 1399319813532.jpg (1 MB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
1399319813532.jpg
1 MB, 2400x2400
I would like to use my broken laptops old lcd panel (1920x1200) as a desktop monitor, but I don't know where to start

Can I use any lcd controller board?

Thank you for your time
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-01+at+07.54.42).png (53 KB, 793x787) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-01+at+07.54.42).png
53 KB, 793x787
>>51641998

this is a pdf for my panel

http://www.yslcd com.tw docs product B170UW02%20V.0.pdf

I replaced the slashes with spaces because the spam filter is annoying
>>
>>51641995
drop the 4790k and get a 8320 and OC to 5.2 to out perform(not in all areas) the 4790k for less.
unless money isnt an issue then yeah looks good except the 970 should be a 980ti unlocked with titan bios
>>
I'm looking at a 150 dollar HP laptop with these specs :
>AMD A8 4555m quad core 1.6 ghz-2.4ghz "turbo boost"
>AMD Radeon HD 7600G
>6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
>750GB 5400RPM hard drive
>windblows 10

My question, or concern is I only really want this laptop so I can play CS and browse /g/ when im traveling.

I emailed the person selling this laptop on craigslist, he said he was using it as a "gaming" pc. So with that said I asked him what games he was playing and what his average frames were in those games, he sent me this back.

>Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (60 fps)

>Call of Duty MW3 (60 fps)

>Tomb Raider (2013) (45 fps)

>Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (45 fps)

So I ended up googling the system requirements for all of those games, im still unsure if the pc actually ran those games at the FPS's he told me though, as the specs it uses just barely meet the requirements for those games.

>TLDR; Is this guy bullshitting me on the FPS's and if he is would this laptop still be able to handle playing CS?
>>
>>51642072
>AMD Radeon HD 7600G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXdoaiLVaEU
>>
Do stock cpu fans also come with a tube of thermal paste or do I need to buy my own?

Do I even need it if I won't be overcooking
>>
>>51642143
In the description of the video showing his specs look at the GPU, he says he is running a second one
>>
>>51642069
>8320
is it worth it amd? im not up to date with computer hardware in general, but most people say i shouldnt be gettin amd,also this config with a 980ti is way outside my budget,
plus im looking foward to make it a hackintosh, and i think amd isnt hackintosh compatible
>>
>>51640656
Testing Overchan... Seems good so far.
>>
Probably a stupid question, but where do I find high quality anime to download?
>>
>>51642163
Your right, which should also point out that its shit.
but it does play mw2, but doesnt look like 60 fps
>>
>>51642171
>8320
http://www.hackintosh.zone/hackintosh-topic/5327-yosemite-on-amd-fx-processors/
ayy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnNw3WdXBo8
ayy x2
>>
>>51642154

They normally come preapplied. If you aren't overclocking I honestly wouldn't worry with it.
>>
>>51642154
stock coolers come with a square of paste applied
>>
>>51642163
forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scOBZotBQjw
>>
>>51641755
aviary, you can use lucky patcher to dl all the filters and stuff for free
>>
>>51642242
Jesus christ.

Thats MW1 so pretty much im fucked with this PC?
>>
I'm running a public Wifi and my consumer grade router keeps dropping connections, would adding an AP help with the volume of connections?
>>
>>51642212
nyaa.se bakabt
>>
>>51642212
Animebytes for the best shit

Bakabt and nyaa for public trackers
>>
>>51642171
well honestly it depends on what your doing. if your gaming 4790k is overkill, save and get an 8320 and 780ti because what you save on the 8320 you should be able to get the 980ti which will be a better gaming pc then the 4790k 970 combo. BUT this all depends on what you plan on doing with it

>>51642231
holy shit i didnt know i could run osx on fx. i might do this instead of fuxkin arch
>>
File: fE16Myj.jpg (34 KB, 423x171) Image search: [Google]
fE16Myj.jpg
34 KB, 423x171
downloaded the new qbitrorrent update and this keeps popping up.
>>
>>51642286
thanks senpai

>>51642300
>Animebytes
is this some secret club shit or something?
>>
>>51642270
yeah, i wouldnt expect to game on that thing

>>51642318
not 780ti, should be 980ti.
>>
>>51642320
your installpath is wrong or your harddrive keeps dismounting on write for some reason.
>>
>>51639555
I figured it out. The file or library or something is 32 bit and I'm running a 64 bit system.

Is there an easy way to run 32 bit files in 64 bit arch without installing a bundled 32 bit system within /opt/arch32 and chrooting it?
>>
>>51642333
>is this some secret club shit or something?
Yes. Now fuck off.
>>
What's /g/'s opinion on trying to play steam games on chrome book?
>>
hey guys. Theres usually a thread for this at all times but they are annoying so I dont want to make one.

What browser should I try? Im currently using Opera. I dont use chrome anymore. I dont like how it runs in the background and has all the botnet shit in it.

I didnt like firefox for some reason.

kinda bored of opera, wanna try something different.

Im not a paranoid dude, but I dont want a ton of bloat.

Bonus: What about android browsers, using opera but thinking about switching to lightning browser.
>>
File: fn-key[1].jpg (10 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
fn-key[1].jpg
10 KB, 500x333
I have a mechanical keyboard with an Fn key but no Fn Lock. How can I reverse the Fn key so it's always active?

I have a CM Storm.
>>
File: avatar_3533a3b6bf68_512.png (148 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
148 KB, 512x512
Isn't there a version of Windows 7 that allows me to change the system locale without having to reboot?
>>
File: 1442904762747.jpg (44 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
1442904762747.jpg
44 KB, 500x340
>>51642363
t-t-thanks
>>
>>51642379
Icecat is good for pc. lynx if you dont need much extra functionality.

lightning for android is fast and very stable.
You're missing out on extensions though.

Opera is just chrome with a wrapper at this point anyway.
>>
>>51642342

Should I reinstall it?

what do you recommend
>>
>>51642333

also HorribleSubs.info

but we dont talk about that because their horrible so just ignore my post.
>>
My boot disk got converted into a dynamic disk. Am I fucked as soon as I reboot?
>>
Is it better to v use two sticks of RAM or toss in a third

Isn't there some shit about dual channel and only using either 2 or 4 sticks
>>
>>51641986

Thanks senpai that shit's handy
>>
File: YoungSamus.jpg (17 KB, 316x421) Image search: [Google]
YoungSamus.jpg
17 KB, 316x421
Best torrent site (prefer public) for software specific downloads?
>>
>>51642438
I am running windoze. So I cant use those it seems.

Thanks tho.
>>
>>51642548

kat.cr the best
>>
File: Untitled.png (25 KB, 548x441) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
25 KB, 548x441
I want to hold off buying a new video card (and other parts) until the new housefire cards are out. Does anyone know if there is an estimate of when they'll be released?

Also, is there a simple way i can figure out the power consumption from my current setup? Is there a sick website that i can plug parts into and it'll total up the power consumption of something? I was thinking about adding another 670 . I have a 650w power supply.
>>
>>51642590
firefox or palemoon is honestly as good as you're going to get then
>>
What's a good Linux distro (or any free OS really) that can run Matlab and has low power consumption (for use on a laptop).
>>
What would you recommend the settings I use here? I have a 32 inch 720p TV I want to stream this video to via wifi.
>>
Fucking javascript regex.

/^'/ should match a single quote IF and ONLY IF that single quote is at the beginning of the line, right?
>>
>>51642650
Once you install Matlab, it's no longer free.
>>
>>51642600
1) Early next year, according to a thread I just saw a few seconds ago. "Pascal" or something.

2) https://pcpartpicker.com/ gives you the wattage.

>>51642682
If you care about the file size, do 2-pass variable bitrate encoding. Otherwise, just use the "constant quality" and set it to max or whatever.
>>
>>51642715
I'm talking about the OS you pedantic fuck.

Also I mean matlab and not octave before you suggest that. Octave has broken functionality in the things I need to do.
>>
>>51642342

I think it's the latter, reinstalling did not help.
>>
>>51637115
Is 600 watt PSU enough to run gtx 970?
core i5 4690k, 8gb, 2 hdd
>>
Bought a R9 290 off Gumtree a year ago, dirt cheap. Worked fine right until last week when it died. Fans spin, no graphics output on any port. Not recognized in device manager when I boot on another card

Don't have the receipt so Gigabyte won't help.

Is there anything I can do, or just move on and don't buy shit without warranty again?
>>
What program should I use to convert flacs into mp3s to use on my still working Zune 80?
>>
>Strange Windows 10 issue

So I've had this weird issue where my PC kind of freezes for like half a second every now and then, with no traces of any errors happening whatsoever afterwards.

Normally I'd pin something like this on a hardware fault, but here's the thing: It has only happened in Windows 10, and only in builds 10130 and up. Prior to 10130 this issue didn't exist at all.
During the insider previews I figured it was just another bug that would be fixed, so I reported it and kept reporting it with every new build until the final release.

Now a month or so into the final release this issue was still happening, so I went back to Windows 8.1 and, as expected, never experienced the issue again. At least until now, since I recently (yesterday) went back to Windows 10, thinking I might as well find out if it was fixed with the November update or whatever.

Turns out this randomly occurring issue is still around, and still leaves no trace after the short freezes. No errors or warnings in Event Viewer, no CPU spikes, no HDD spikes, no GPU spikes, no nothing. It just freezes for like half a second and leaves nothing behind to indicate that something out of the ordinary happened.

So now my question is this: Has anyone else experienced something like this ? Or does anyone at least have an idea how to possibly fix this issue ?

I've just now installed the chipset driver from MSI's website for my Z97 motherboard in hopes that a wonky driver might have been the issue, but since it's something that happens relatively rarely (2-3 times a day or so) and isn't possible for me to recreate, I don't know if this has solved the issue yet.
>>
My computer is making a constant, fairly loud and noticeable buzzing noise whenever it's turned on. I assume it's capacitor whine. I tried switching to another power supply, but the noise is still there. What's most likely to be the cause? Is my motherboard fucked?
>>
>>51641986

How long is it supposed to take to make a fresh ISO? i successfully updated to windows 10 with this but now it keeps hanging on creating an ISO so i can do a clean install
>>
Hi, I recently purchased a t410 from e-bay for $95 and it arrived in the mail today (woop!). When installing a fresh copy of Debian, it randomly restarted, out of the blue. After I successfully installed Debian, it randomly restarted while i was using firefox. Now, I can't reinstall Debian without it restarting. This is the 3rd time in 4 hours, please help.
>>
File: han-1139c.jpg (70 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
han-1139c.jpg
70 KB, 600x401
Why does my computer keep shutting down when i play games now that i installed my new R9 390x?

I have a 750W PSU and i'm within the recommended range.
>>
My friend is building a new PC and he's giving me most of his old one.

I'll need a graphics card, but I'm also a poorfag right now so I don't want to spend that much at all.

Any suggestions on something not too expensive but that's still decent?

I play Dota 2, GTA V, Rocket League, and Starcraft II so I don't think it would have to be too fantastic. I'll upgrade in the future but right now things are tight
>>
>>51642924
Is it a shut down or a power kill. There's a difference.
Run a temp check and watch it til it kills.
>>
>>51642870
Do you have a HDD or SSD?
>>
>>51642945
Shut down. The case fans and PSU fan LED are still on. One case fan is stays spinning.

To restart I have to flip the switch on the PSU to off and then on before the power switch works again.
>>
>>51642941
Budget ?
Why can't you use the graphics card you have now ?
GTX 950 and GTX 960 are decent inexpensive options.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.